Post Reply Crunchyroll's just flat out lazy in regards to moderating reviews.
5070 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M
Offline
Posted 7/7/17
I have been reading reviews for various different shows and various different stars given but what really disgusts me is that they clearly have zero moderation to what is allowed in the reviews. I have reported a couple due to either the review just being a insult tirade on anyone who enjoys the show or people just saying the most stupid comments that will only bring on more aggression for the person who wrote the review.

Im not expecting some reviewing or commenting system where only nice things are said but I still expect reviews of a show to be about the show and not to insult people for enjoying said show.

take this as an example from 1andre11 "this was a series made for people who have no life and dignity"

Now I can appreciate the fact he didnt like the show but why go on to describe people who do enjoy the show in such a way? I've reported this review multiple times and nothing has been done the report system is an actual joke when it allows comments like this to stay on the website.

To the Crunchyroll staff

Sort out your review system to stop people like this being allowed type this sort of hate or make an actual way to report that doesn't make people have to resort to making a forum post about it.
8624 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
17 / F / London, England
Offline
Posted 7/7/17

captainmervil wrote:

take this as an example from 1andre11 "this was a series made for people who have no life and dignity"



You're joking right? Listen, I get that elementary schoolers have a right to watch anime, but this is the internet. You are going to get butt hurt because other people have different opinions. If you can't handle a review (which wasn't even that rude) then I suggest you turn off your monitor and walk away, because nothing is stopping you from ignoring them. Also, don't waste your time reporting people who aren't breaking any rules
5070 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M
Offline
Posted 7/7/17
Its not about getting butt hurt its about the fact that if someone is going to review a show then review the show not the people who are going to watch the show if you were to read a movie review and just had complete nonsense and then just finished up with degrading anyone who enjoyed it then who would appreciate the review? it had 142 people rate his review and 4 rated it positively so what the other 138 are elementary school kids too? your so quick to defend someones disgusting actions but your just as bad as he is considering the fact that you literally start off by comparing me to an elementary school kid and claiming that im butt hurt.

Its not the fact he reviewed something badly its the fact that he barely reviewed the anime itself and just decided to insult anyone who enjoys it thats not how a review system works and if you actually knew that you wouldn't have made this ridiculous reply in the first place.
8624 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
17 / F / London, England
Offline
Posted 7/7/17

captainmervil wrote:

Its not about getting butt hurt its about the fact that if someone is going to review a show then review the show not the people who are going to watch the show if you were to read a movie review and just had complete nonsense and then just finished up with degrading anyone who enjoyed it then who would appreciate the review? it had 142 people rate his review and 4 rated it positively so what the other 138 are elementary school kids too? your so quick to defend someones disgusting actions but your just as bad as he is considering the fact that you literally start off by comparing me to an elementary school kid and claiming that im butt hurt.

Its not the fact he reviewed something badly its the fact that he barely reviewed the anime itself and just decided to insult anyone who enjoys it thats not how a review system works and if you actually knew that you wouldn't have made this ridiculous reply in the first place.


Listen, I understand being annoyed about a review like this if it came from a professional critic, but most people who review on crunchyroll are just regular viewers who don't know how to structure a well written review. The reviews here are just supposed to reflect what your average viewer thinks. If someone said the fan base has no life, then it can give a somewhat vague hint to the fact that the anime could seem immature. I know from the quote you said that the anime probably isn't as psychologically stimulating as Death Note.
5070 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M
Offline
Posted 7/7/17
I honestly think if they are going to put forum rules up that everyone have to read then they should have review rules that everyone has to read because its quite clear that he isn't an average viewer by the responses to every one of his reviews but I see your point about them not being professional which just furthers my point that if they had a little 5 bullet point rule system for reviews it would clean up and help people to better review and therefore help the community as a whole when it comes to deciding to watch something or not.
59348 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
37 / M / Planet Sanno
Offline
Posted 7/7/17

captainmervil wrote:
I have reported a couple due to either the review just being a insult tirade on anyone who enjoys the show or people just saying the most stupid comments that will only bring on more aggression for the person who wrote the review.


Well, I hate to say it, but ... welcome to the Internet, Captain.
Dragon
65173 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 7/7/17

captainmervil wrote:

I have been reading reviews for various different shows and various different stars given but what really disgusts me is that they clearly have zero moderation to what is allowed in the reviews. I have reported a couple due to either the review just being a insult tirade on anyone who enjoys the show or people just saying the most stupid comments that will only bring on more aggression for the person who wrote the review.

Im not expecting some reviewing or commenting system where only nice things are said but I still expect reviews of a show to be about the show and not to insult people for enjoying said show.

take this as an example from 1andre11 "this was a series made for people who have no life and dignity"

Now I can appreciate the fact he didnt like the show but why go on to describe people who do enjoy the show in such a way? I've reported this review multiple times and nothing has been done the report system is an actual joke when it allows comments like this to stay on the website.

To the Crunchyroll staff

Sort out your review system to stop people like this being allowed type this sort of hate or make an actual way to report that doesn't make people have to resort to making a forum post about it.


Well, I certainly can't speak for all the moderators, but I know I do take review reports seriously. Spam, excessive swearing, insults, that kind of stuff usually gets the boot from me. On the flip side, I know I've seen lots of reports for shows that were essentially complaints that the review either did or didn't like the show that the reporter didn't or did like. A few times about shows that were pushing "an agenda" or something along those lines (a couple years ago someone really didn't like the 'hidden messages' of RWBY, if I recall correctly).

So sometimes I'll take action, sometimes I won't, but I do read reports that come in while I'm available to deal with them. Others might make other decisions - apparently several people in this thread would decide in other ways.
5070 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M
Offline
Posted 7/7/17 , edited 7/7/17
I can appreciate that not all reports are valid or have any real reasoning other than the person just defending the show they enjoy but I honestly think the 5 star rating system is so horribly flawed that it might be beneficial for the company to put a little box next to review which leads to a little list of what constitutes a 5 star or 4 star rating for example.

But I refuse to accept that anyone should be able to comment on the morality or integrity of people just because they have their own views about a certain show.

BTW im aware no one really said it should be accepted.

It gets to a point where people's attitude towards others shouldn't be accepted and I feel like this is one of those cases I had reported that same reviewer multiple times over a month or two and nothing

At least if he was asked to edit the review to remove the unnecessary things he mentioned then it would be nothing more than just a low rated review but there seems to be a lack of respect for others and I feel like as a company Crunchyroll should enforce a policy when it comes to reviews and insulting others for no good reason.
19524 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / F / In the corner wat...
Offline
Posted 7/7/17 , edited 7/12/17
I agree with you when it comes to reviewing shows and the reviewer calling the viewers who actually like the anime names is wrong.

You don't have to be a pro reviewer to have common decency to not make fun of others when you're writing something that should be about and only about the show. If you (the reviewer) felt that the anime was a waste of your time, then say so. But to say things like "those who watch this have no life" and things along those lines, it no is no longer a review but a troll post to upset the people that the statement is targeted at. If it is no longer a review, then why keep it in the review section at all?

That is my opinion on the subject.

Dragon
65173 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 7/7/17 , edited 7/7/17

captainmervil wrote:

I can appreciate that not all reports are valid or have any real reasoning other than the person just defending the show they enjoy but I honestly think the 5 star rating system is so horribly flawed that it might be beneficial for the company to put a little box next to review which leads to a little list of what constitutes a 5 star or 4 star rating for example.

But I refuse to accept that anyone should be able to comment on the morality or integrity of people just because they have their own views about a certain show.

BTW im aware no one really said it should be accepted.

It gets to a point where people's attitude towards others shouldn't be accepted and I feel like this is one of those cases I had reported that same reviewer multiple times over a month or two and nothing

At least if he was asked to edit the review to remove the unnecessary things he mentioned then it would be nothing more than just a low rated review but there seems to be a lack of respect for others and I feel like as a company Crunchyroll should enforce a policy when it comes to reviews and insulting others for no good reason.


(If you use the quote link next to my post, I'll get a notification that you're responding to me - assuming this was in response to me since you mention some of my points. If not, I'll carry on since I have a personal opinion on the subject..)

Well, sure, we can debate the 5-star system, but that seemed unrelated to your opening post, I guess I wasn't trying to address that earlier. Some people feel that 3 stars means "what they expected", and is a recommendation for enjoyable viewing. Others think 5 stars means the same. But that's really beyond the scope of what someone says in the review text, isn't it? I've seen reviews that were along the lines of "pretty animation, nice music, but really just not my thing" that were 5 stars because they thought others would enjoy, or 1 star because they personally didn't like it. I honestly can't say either of those would be invalid rankings, though, they're personal opinions just as all reviews are.

Now, if they insulted others, that's wrong, and that's what I was trying to say earlier in how I would respond to such a report. One other thing, reports get cut off at a certain point - I think around 150-200 characters, but I haven't tested this to be sure of the exact number. So if a report started off about the star ranking for a show, then got into details about the text, the mods might not even see that part. I'm not saying that's what happened with yours, since I'm pretty sure I didn't see yours so I couldn't say one way or another, just pointing out that it is a possible issue.

I did check back a few times through the day, but didn't see any review reports since I replied to this earlier other than one I just deleted a few minutes ago for spam. I think I deleted a couple of reviews a few hours before I first replied in here, but I honestly can't remember if they were reports from you or another user.
5070 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M
Offline
Posted 7/8/17 , edited 7/8/17

MakotoKamui wrote:

(If you use the quote link next to my post, I'll get a notification that you're responding to me.)


I never really thought about quoting you to be quite honest and I only really thought about the 5 star system at the time of the comment.

In regards to reporting issues I do I generally keep them short and sweet so its easily picked up but I personally have never seen anything that I had reported get changed or any action taken at all.

I have personally reported the review that made me make this forum post multiple times and has not even been taken down or edited and Im not even confident that the person I have reported is even aware or has even been asked to edit it which again I understand there is only so many hands for some many different resources but when the same review gets reported time and time again I feel like it should get through to the team to deal with it.
Dragon
65173 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 7/8/17 , edited 7/8/17

captainmervil wrote:


MakotoKamui wrote:

(If you use the quote link next to my post, I'll get a notification that you're responding to me.)


I never really thought about quoting you to be quite honest and I only really thought about the 5 star system at the time of the comment.

In regards to reporting issues I do I generally keep them short and sweet so its easily picked up but I personally have never seen anything that I had reported get changed or any action taken at all.

I have personally reported the review that made me make this forum post multiple times and has not even been taken down or edited and Im not even confident that the person I have reported is even aware or has even been asked to edit it which again I understand there is only so many hands for some many different resources but when the same review gets reported time and time again I feel like it should get through to the team to deal with it.


Quoting is really the only way to let someone know there's a response, unless they happen to look at the thread again. Or if they use the cr queue Chrome extension and track the thread, but I personally tend not to do that.

As I said, was just pointing out possible things, in part for you, in part for others who might read this thread. As I'm typing this, I don't even know what show the review you're mentioning is about, so lacking a report, I wasn't able to take action. Now I'll go do my own hunting because this is getting a bit on the weird side of back and forth. The review is gone now, that was easy.

I have no idea when it was reported, how often, or who removed the reports. If that review appears again, it means the person put up another copy of it, so if you see it, do report it. That's about all I can tell you, though.
You must be logged in to post.