WEEKEND TICKETS GOING FAST!

PRICES GO UP AT THE GATE

PURCHASE TICKET
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  Next  Last
Post Reply We’re losing a whole generation of young men to video games
1530 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / M
Offline
Posted 7/9/17

amejia0 wrote:

Oh no! MMORPG's/PS4's are sucking away my life!

Resist, Desist, Survive!

Actually...Fuck life!

Time to submit to our new electronic overlords and spend more time gaining dat sweet XP.






lol
1530 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / M
Offline
Posted 7/9/17 , edited 7/9/17
This article was so stupid.Nothings great about real life anyway.I hope technology advances to the point where I can put my consciousness into the internet and spend all day posting dank memes without stopping,due to no longer having the restraints of my psychical body.
297 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M
Offline
Posted 7/9/17 , edited 7/9/17

theunlocked wrote:

1. Introverts can be social too, in their own way. Not liking to be with large groups of people doesn't mean you don't want to be social. This is actually a way in which multiplayer gaming can be great for you socially. The issue is if you completely detach yourself from reality (which admittedly, probably isn't quite as common as it's depicted in anime).

2. Young people actually want to work, a lot. The US also does not have a jobs crisis. It's not that they can't work or don't want to work, it's that they don't work. Making the claim that "young people in general are just getting more lazy" is directly contrary to your previous claim of "this is how it's always been." If there is a phenomenon in which young people are getting lazier (which honestly I don't really believe), there would have to be a cause for it. Things like that don't happen for no reason.

2.5. The reason adults have a jobs crisis in some parts of the country is because it's much harder to get adults to learn new things. A teenager can pick up programming if they're willing to put in the time and effort, and then can work remotely. The same would work for adults, but adults are typically less enthusiastic about being told that they need to change to adapt with the new world.


1. I never said they couldnt. On the other hand, you can also be completely anti-social while still not detaching yourself from society. Shut-ins were always going to be shut-ins though, lets be honest.

2. Yeh, i just based that off my own experiences. Maybe US is fine, but jobs prospects aren't super great here in Australia atm, and from what I've heard, they're not too great in a lot of the world. And maybe it's always been like this, but I'm seeing so many people in my generation (like a ton) who are just happy doing nothing with their lives and have no intention of working full time. They actively turn down opportunities presented to them. Obviously this is still a minority, but I'm astounded at the number. Maybe I expected too much from people? But if it's always been like this, I guess that wouldn't change statistics.
4968 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24
Offline
Posted 7/9/17 , edited 7/9/17

KingKaio wrote:

I can see both sides to this argument. On the one it is troubling that every media fad (radio, television, the internet, gaming, smart phones) has been lambasted as some social illness that is eroding civilization. This hysteria has been around a very long time. On the other it is very true and very real that males in particular have fallen for some of these fads in such huge numbers that it is alarming on its own.

What troubles me is that you've asked directly for a rebuttal without considering the author's argument first- you just want a rebuttal. You didn't like what you read because perhaps it struck a nerve (are you a gaming addict? Be honest) and without thinking of a rebuttal, requested one because of the need to oppose what was hurtful and troubling when you read it. If it strikes anyone as troubling and makes you feel resistant, that is the first sign that perhaps the author had a point.
I would say the solution here is not to put up a defense wall when reading something like this. You have to laugh at the long history of public hysteria over fads that its own civilization has invented and enabled; but at the same time it doesn't hurt to be mindful of how much you sacrifice in order to indulge in escapism.


Maybe he just wanted to post something about a topic he finds interesting. I highly doubt that he took it personally, more of meh this is interesting and I want to foster discussion about it on CR.

And as many people have stated this issue is nothing new. Maybe the video game specific one is more widespread in males in modern times, but that does not mean there is a specific biological reason that males spend more time playing video games. I believe that would be due to our social environments in the modern world where women openly enjoy the "social life" with more ease/acceptance than males do.

I mean do you know how hard it is for a male to go to a party/social event/concert alone, and be equally accepted as a woman doing the same. Staying inside and "socializing" through video games is a place/situation where the modern males can find acceptance and friendship without all the bullshit/judgement of the everyday world.

I mean back in the day before computers and video games nerds would hang out in their friends garage's and play board games. Dungeons and Dragons anybody? That was a way to socialize and today it's the same except it's virtual Dungeons and Dragons so to speak. And if we look back in history and different cultures we can see that at times the situation was the opposite in that women found society not so accepting in their public socialization so women would stay at home and have knitting groups/basket weaving groups. (LOL I know this a lame example) While the males would go out in public and drink/be merry with theirs BOISSS.



amejia0 wrote:

I challenge you to a game!


actually...




Ohhh mann you don't even knoww how much I enjoyed those times. It's a shame how the card game has progressed, but that doesn't mean I don't enjoy watching the old seasons of Yu-gi-oh/playing with old school cards.
2015 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 7/9/17 , edited 7/9/17


Yugioh (with Yugi) was one of my favorite childhood anime series. I watched the whole season in DUBBED!!! up to the end of battle city arc. I didn't bother with the other spin offs..


4968 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24
Offline
Posted 7/9/17 , edited 7/9/17
Oh NO!

Me too bro! I loved watching it on Saturday mornings even if it was dubbed through 4Kids!

After the show went into Yugioh GX it lost the magic imo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CwqQGf6WqY4
10859 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / within the world...
Offline
Posted 7/9/17
Too bad Season 0 never got an official western release besides the manga. I love the card game but looking back I kind of wish it had stayed what it was meant to be originally. Just a side game for Yugi and friends to play on the side while the crazy ass activities...such as Yugi burning a dude alive because he decided to troll him with some vodka and a piece of paper...or playing a highly amusing knife fight where the real adventures xD
4968 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24
Offline
Posted 7/9/17
I enjoyed season 0, but I can see where the monetary motivation was in making the TV show one big advertisement about the card game.

There's always the abridged version for teh lulz.

"Screw the rules I have money!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVbie0Gk6u8
12669 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
☆Land of sweets☆
Offline
Posted 7/9/17

auroraloose wrote:


namealreadytaken wrote:

https://xkcd.com/1601/

add to that:
2017
"People are playing too much video games and have no social life"



xkcd is kind of simplistic; it tends to reduce to jabs that might occur to the college-educated as smart but aren't actually connected to any more-informed background. I kind of doubt that the historical complaints Munroe lists here were actually real or widespread. And anyway, the idea that the worry of social alienation is made of little more than the older generation's fears is naive; technology always rewrites and reorganizes society, often drastically. And especially now. The media the comic lists may not have stopped interpersonal interaction in ways that are obvious to us as denizens of the 21st century, but they most certainly change, and redirect, our social interactions. Viral pseudo-intellectual snark via electronic stick-figure images certainly wasn't possible 50 years ago, and slacktivism definitely couldn't be a thing without the internet. And what about the notion that everyone can or ought to be activists in some way; did that exist 50 years ago? It does happen increasingly to be true that we can live in social enclaves of like-minded people, and this is greatly facilitated by the internet. Indeed, the use of the word friend in Facebook has made it harder for us to be real friends with people who disagree with us politically.

Technology is a thing it is right to be suspicious of.


i think simplicity is precisely the point it's trying to make: entertainment media such as anime and video games are often blamed as the main reason for things such as social isolation or behavior disorder when it's one among many different factors that together shape how people live their social lives. take Japan, for example. video games by itself is not the reason for the low birthrate, but rather the strict work culture (some women even decide not to engage in romantic relations and procreate in fear of losing their job). the historical background may not be accurate, it's just there to show the ridiculousness in the assumption that one thing is the sole responsible for disrupting social life
(it's a comic, afterall)
25604 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / Atlanta, GA, USA
Offline
Posted 7/9/17
Heh, well, I think that education & jobs need to be able to out-compete only playing video games.

The incentive should be to make money for a really nice gaming set-up, a house to put it in, and a spouse & kids to share it with. As opposed to some sad existence where we can only afford to play free mobile games on our phones all alone.

So, I don't think we really lose the generation of young men as long as they end up pursuing a good job so they can best pursue their gaming passion. It's only really a problem if they think they won't be able to game when they're older and just waste their young lives on it, rather than split their attention between gaming and prepping a career.
7017 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
42 / M / Ogallala, NE
Offline
Posted 7/9/17
I thought it was interesting the age group they are using for this article, it reminded me a different study I read earlier this week that kinda contradicts it.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/move-over-millennials-members-of-generation-z-are-ready-to-work-2017-07-07

2044 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / F / The Ivory Tower
Offline
Posted 7/9/17

namealreadytaken wrote:


auroraloose wrote:

xkcd is kind of simplistic; it tends to reduce to jabs that might occur to the college-educated as smart but aren't actually connected to any more-informed background. I kind of doubt that the historical complaints Munroe lists here were actually real or widespread. And anyway, the idea that the worry of social alienation is made of little more than the older generation's fears is naive; technology always rewrites and reorganizes society, often drastically. And especially now. The media the comic lists may not have stopped interpersonal interaction in ways that are obvious to us as denizens of the 21st century, but they most certainly change, and redirect, our social interactions. Viral pseudo-intellectual snark via electronic stick-figure images certainly wasn't possible 50 years ago, and slacktivism definitely couldn't be a thing without the internet. And what about the notion that everyone can or ought to be activists in some way; did that exist 50 years ago? It does happen increasingly to be true that we can live in social enclaves of like-minded people, and this is greatly facilitated by the internet. Indeed, the use of the word friend in Facebook has made it harder for us to be real friends with people who disagree with us politically.

Technology is a thing it is right to be suspicious of.


i think simplicity is precisely the point it's trying to make: entertainment media such as anime and video games are often blamed as the main reason for things such as social isolation or behavior disorder when it's one among many different factors that together shape how people live their social lives. take Japan, for example. video games by itself is not the reason for the low birthrate, but rather the strict work culture (some women even decide not to engage in romantic relations and procreate in fear of losing their job). the historical background may not be accurate, it's just there to show the ridiculousness in the assumption that one thing is the sole responsible for disrupting social life
(it's a comic, afterall)


I don't think there's anything in the article in the original post that says video games are the only thing causing men not to work. But there's nothing in the xkcd comic that implies it's okay to complain about the alienating properties of technology at all. The comic makes it sound like any such complaint is silly, because clearly society survived each of these past changes (even though it's possible the comic made up the notion that anyone complained about the social alienation due to books). Well, even if society did survive, it didn't survive unchanged. The changes brought by technology can be drastic, and the internet is a very radical thing.

There exists a kind of technocratic gaslighting that says all technological change - "advancement" - is necessarily objective and good. That's what the xkcd comic is telling us: "Look at all these technologies that the old people thought were corrupting the youth. It obviously never happened! So all such arguments are stupid. We'll always still be a community, no matter what technology does to us. It'll be great." Well, that's not true. And the reason it's gaslighting is because it - and you - have already put it as an either/or thing: no one is allowed to focus solely on the adverse effects of technology; if you want to talk about it, you have to water it down by throwing in other problems, too. But maybe video games like Civilization are just addicting for some people - full stop. I know I've played Civ all night more than once, and it's kind of terrifying. Even if other factors are there, is it unfair to point out that video games are the immediate cause? No.
2044 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / F / The Ivory Tower
Offline
Posted 7/9/17

Kavalion wrote:

Heh, well, I think that education & jobs need to be able to out-compete only playing video games.

The incentive should be to make money for a really nice gaming set-up, a house to put it in, and a spouse & kids to share it with. As opposed to some sad existence where we can only afford to play free mobile games on our phones all alone.

So, I don't think we really lose the generation of young men as long as they end up pursuing a good job so they can best pursue their gaming passion. It's only really a problem if they think they won't be able to game when they're older and just waste their young lives on it, rather than split their attention between gaming and prepping a career.


What guarantee do we have that they'll end up pursuing a good job? I don't see anything contradictory about a society in which the path of least resistance is just to bum around playing video games in your parents' basement all your life. Further, the whole point of video games is to provide entertainment - and false fulfillment. Real life is hard - it'll never be able to out-compete video games. Besides, capitalistic thinking doesn't always apply.
Banned
20726 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Hoosierville
Offline
Posted 7/9/17
As a note. I got into IT BECAUSE of video games. A kid will go to great lengths to play the latest simcity or battlefield on their potato of a computer they can barely afford to buy new parts for.
34411 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / U.S.A.
Offline
Posted 7/9/17
Guilty as charged.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.