First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
Post Reply Is Social Media to Blame for the Rise in Narcissism?
4456 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 7/9/17 , edited 7/10/17
https://www.psychalive.org/is-social-media-to-blame-for-the-rise-in-narcissism/


I guess there are tests that we can take too.

so.. I'm self centered and lack of empathy type in test #1 while having with a score of 5 in test #2 ?


Are You a Narcissist?: InfoGraphic
https://www.psychalive.org/narcissist-infographic/

Narcissistic Personality Quiz
https://psychcentral.com/quizzes/narcissistic.htm





16175 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 7/9/17 , edited 7/10/17
No.
5504 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25
Offline
Posted 7/9/17 , edited 7/10/17
Nah it just gives them a platform to do a lot of self stoking.

If they didn't have it they would go and find another way of justifying their inflated self worth.
23204 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
The White House
Offline
Posted 7/9/17 , edited 7/10/17
Fuck facebook and cuckerburg. Wish I could delete the shit but I have to organize stuff on it -_-;


amejia0 wrote:

Proud CATKIN of the Crunchyroll community



Wat? From a scale of 0-100% how cat cat are you?
31176 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / Bundaberg, Queens...
Offline
Posted 7/9/17 , edited 7/10/17
No and narcissistic people suck
16175 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 7/10/17 , edited 7/10/17

Rujikin wrote:

Fuck facebook and cuckerburg. Wish I could delete the shit but I have to organize stuff on it -_-;


amejia0 wrote:

Proud CATKIN of the Crunchyroll community



Wat? From a scale of 0-100% how cat cat are you?


I would guess that it is approximately:

5894 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / M
Offline
Posted 7/10/17 , edited 7/10/17
Well it is like the yes man situation, the covenant.


http://www.betches.com/8-telltale-signs-youre-an-asshole
139 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 7/10/17 , edited 7/10/17
Yeah, because people from previous centuries were so much more virtuous and so much humbler than 21st century people, slavery, lack of human rights, oppression of many groups. You can point out the flaws of each generations but the comparisons are dumb since there is no accurate data to compare to.

Like I hate articles that go, "People these days are so much more violent due to video games/tv shows" or "Pedophilia is more common because of porn". It's not scientific, these things have always existed, just people rarely know about them without globalization.

Men these days are actually way more lax than in previous centuries, you know men used to wear tights and wear lipsticks and fancy wigs? You ever see the average man doing those things nowadays? So how can you say "we" are more narcisstic? Or that there is a rise in narcissism...when there's no comparable data to compare to.
5894 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / M
Offline
Posted 7/10/17 , edited 7/10/17

LingLingJuju wrote:

Yeah, because people from previous centuries were so much more virtuous and so much humbler than 21st century people, slavery, lack of human rights, oppression of many groups. You can point out the flaws of each generations but the comparisons are dumb since there is no accurate data to compare to.


Not in Le Comte De Monte Cristol, which century is that?
5504 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25
Offline
Posted 7/10/17 , edited 7/10/17

Rujikin wrote:

Fuck facebook and cuckerburg. Wish I could delete the shit but I have to organize stuff on it -_-;


amejia0 wrote:

Proud CATKIN of the Crunchyroll community



Wat? From a scale of 0-100% how cat cat are you?


I'm sorry but I do not conform to a scale of 0-100!

I would much rather be rated on a scale of Snarf to Kirara

And judging based on that system I would be placed at a definite Chesire Cat.

5894 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / M
Offline
Posted 7/10/17 , edited 7/10/17

amejia0 wrote:


Rujikin wrote:

Fuck facebook and cuckerburg. Wish I could delete the shit but I have to organize stuff on it -_-;


amejia0 wrote:

Proud CATKIN of the Crunchyroll community



Wat? From a scale of 0-100% how cat cat are you?


I'm sorry but I do not conform to a scale of 0-100!

I would much rather be rated on a scale of Snarf to Kirara

And judging based on that system I would be placed at a definite Chesire Cat.



Pie
139 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 7/10/17 , edited 7/10/17

fredreload wrote:


LingLingJuju wrote:

Yeah, because people from previous centuries were so much more virtuous and so much humbler than 21st century people, slavery, lack of human rights, oppression of many groups. You can point out the flaws of each generations but the comparisons are dumb since there is no accurate data to compare to.


Not in Le Comte De Monte Cristol, which century is that?


I don't know, but the main character was wrongly imprisoned and I think that's the perfect example of narcissism right there, he only cared about getting his revenge.
5894 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / M
Offline
Posted 7/10/17 , edited 7/10/17

LingLingJuju wrote:


fredreload wrote:


LingLingJuju wrote:

Yeah, because people from previous centuries were so much more virtuous and so much humbler than 21st century people, slavery, lack of human rights, oppression of many groups. You can point out the flaws of each generations but the comparisons are dumb since there is no accurate data to compare to.


Not in Le Comte De Monte Cristol, which century is that?


I don't know, but the main character was wrongly imprisoned and I think that's the perfect example of narcissism right there, he only cared about getting his revenge.


I'd be pretty narcissistic myself if I am wrongly imprisoned , wait for how many years?
4432 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M
Offline
Posted 7/10/17 , edited 7/10/17
I wouldn't say it's to blame but it's definitely not helping matters.

The problem is when you give them a voice it encourages people to join in and act the same which only makes it worse. Where in the past most of these people would learn from the people around them how to act a bit more properly now they have the internet to hide away in and imagine the world revolves around them.
Posted 7/10/17 , edited 7/10/17

AnimeAddictANN69 wrote:
Is Social Media to Blame for the Rise in Narcissism? (Title)


Personally, I think that people like throwing around the terms "narcissism" or "narcissist" a bit too readily these days. On the political scale, liberals are often found calling conservatives narcissists because conservative values focus away from assisting other people ("my money should stay my money, I don't want to help anyone else out") - this is a bit of a misuse of the term/phrase as it only extends to their financial views. Some people who debate back and forth on forums tend to believe someone is being narcissistic because the individual fails to see a compromise or to make an entire thread about their lives and will take offense if someone tries to speak about it indirectly or otherwise.

There's no denying that we live in a "me"-focused world. Instagram, Twitter, Snapchat... the list of social media networks that encourage a focus on "me, myself, and I" are ever-growing. It puts a spotlight onto someone's life and they believe that it gives them the right to judge people based on the response they get in these networks. But is this the only reason? Hell no.

The Baby Boomers were/are the original "Me Generation". They existed without the need for social media to feed their ego. Instead, they were pitched some "American Dream" model as children and they went after it. This ended up with Baby Boomers focusing on greed, materialism, and professional ambition (at any cost). Then you move onto Generation X - the "globalist generation". These are the guys who wanted to right the wrongs of the Baby Boomer's greed. Except, this was mostly due to the fact that they simply didn't do as well as their Boomer parents on a financial scale. GenX was the generation who had to deal with politicians lying and their parents starting to struggle in older age because America began to weaken as a global power.

Now, we're at the age of the Millenials. The reason why Millenials are so hard headed and refuse to budge from their ideals/views is that many Millennials have a sense of righteousness. They want to undo all the wrong in the world today. This is why you see 18-28-year-olds voting for Trump (they've seen their GenX parents lied to, manipulated, and laid off by the government and its grasp on the market) and "Social Justice Warriors" demanding justice for all - at any cost (even if they don't fully grasp the topic). They're one and the same, the young Conservative and the young SJW. They just happen to have an opposite view of what's "wrong" in the world, but they hold their own opinions higher than anyone who disagrees with them. Millenials are known to exist in an opinion vacuum - fueled by like-minded Millenials or Baby Boomers who felt that GenX demoralized the world with thinking globally.

At the end of the day, I don't really see anybody more or less narcissistic than people of yesteryears. The "Me Generation" of the Baby Boomers just bled into another generation, just to an extreme level because it's the Millennials' view of "righting the wrong".

Of course, not everybody fits into this generalization. But even your results of being "self-centered and lacking empathy" fits my explanation. You may not be a narcissist, but this generation is focused around the idea that their view is the correct one and someone else's view is automatically incorrect. On top of that, they're less likely to see another person's opinion as valid if it doesn't agree with them or make compromises to meet in the middle on "hot topics".
First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.