First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next  Last
Post Reply I want to be immortal
5763 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M
Offline
Posted 7/10/17

amejia0 wrote:


HateKillingCamels wrote:

even if you were immortal your life would still probably be wasted away working. IT's all pointless anyway, why make it longer.


Not if you made some amazing investments early on in your immortality. You could become the worlds richest person within a mortal lifetime or two. Then "retire" and travel the world.

But like it was once stated in another immortality thread. It would have to be immortality with invincibility/eternal youth. As well as with the ability to commit suicide as the only exit out of this madness.


Staying, alive, forever? Like digital immortality and you exist as a force, a ghost, and you cannot die? Forever? Welp, I'll drag Amejia with me
238 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / F / Nagano- Japan
Offline
Posted 7/10/17
In my opinion, over population should be solved first before our mortality. With no one dying and with people continuing to be born, this world's resources would be exhausted after just a few generations. That said, true immortality isn't all that fun because when you think about it, being immortal is just 'stopping one's time'. Time helps life evolve, so for the immortals, evolution stops so while you stay the same, people of the new generations may evolve to become prettier, stronger, and maybe even taller. That said again, the fear of death is indeed terrifying so I wouldn't just pass a chance at being an immortal if given the opportunity.
5478 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25
Offline
Posted 7/10/17 , edited 7/10/17

fredreload wrote:


amejia0 wrote:


HateKillingCamels wrote:

even if you were immortal your life would still probably be wasted away working. IT's all pointless anyway, why make it longer.


Not if you made some amazing investments early on in your immortality. You could become the worlds richest person within a mortal lifetime or two. Then "retire" and travel the world.

But like it was once stated in another immortality thread. It would have to be immortality with invincibility/eternal youth. As well as with the ability to commit suicide as the only exit out of this madness.


Staying, alive, forever? Like digital immortality and you exist as a force, a ghost, and you cannot die? Forever? Welp, I'll drag Amejia with me


Yes digital immortality could be a viable option for attaining this state of immortality. But the only issue I would see is it would have to be perfected in order to fully replicate the experience of being alive in "our current reality". Meaning you could feel hunger, you could feel pleasure, you could feel everything that made this world "real" and not just existing as information in a semi-replicated reality.

I would expect that given enough time that "digital reality" will become virtually indistinguishable from our day to day "reality" and people will eventually "migrate" over permanently as there is no benefit of remaining in the physical "reality".

But at that point we are essentially playing god and what's stopping us from living life as a "superhero/villain/space conqueror/diety/etc"

5763 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M
Offline
Posted 7/10/17

kyoukosuehara wrote:

In my opinion, over population should be solved first before our mortality. With no one dying and with people continuing to be born, this world's resources would be exhausted after just a few generations. That said, true immortality isn't all that fun because when you think about it, being immortal is just 'stopping one's time'. Time helps life evolve, so for the immortals, evolution stops so while you stay the same, people of the new generations may evolve to become prettier, stronger, and maybe even taller. That said again, the fear of death is indeed terrifying so I wouldn't just pass a chance at being an immortal if given the opportunity.


Welp, why are there so many Japanese all of a sudden. Hi there it's Fred , I went to the Mc Donald in Kyoto. Omg you guys are starting to appear. Now we don't consume all resources, if we consume every ounce of food we'd be at the size of a giant. Hmm, but then if you can change your own body, you can also become prettier, stronger and smarter . It is not a chance you want to pass, I agree
39247 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Tralfamadore
Offline
Posted 7/10/17
Immortality? Meh it takes forever.
5763 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M
Offline
Posted 7/10/17 , edited 7/10/17

amejia0 wrote:


fredreload wrote:


amejia0 wrote:


HateKillingCamels wrote:

even if you were immortal your life would still probably be wasted away working. IT's all pointless anyway, why make it longer.


Not if you made some amazing investments early on in your immortality. You could become the worlds richest person within a mortal lifetime or two. Then "retire" and travel the world.

But like it was once stated in another immortality thread. It would have to be immortality with invincibility/eternal youth. As well as with the ability to commit suicide as the only exit out of this madness.


Staying, alive, forever? Like digital immortality and you exist as a force, a ghost, and you cannot die? Forever? Welp, I'll drag Amejia with me


Yes digital immortality could be a viable option for attaining this state of immortality. But the only issue I would see is it would have to be perfected in order to fully replicate the experience of being alive in "our current reality". Meaning you could feel hunger, you could feel pleasure, you could feel everything that made this world "real" and not just existing as information in a semi-replicated reality.

I would expect that given enough time that "digital reality" will become virtually indistinguishable from our day to day "reality" and people will eventually "migrate" over permanently as there is no benefit of remaining in the physical "reality".

But at that point we are essentially playing god and what's stopping us from living life as a "superhero/villain/space conqueror/diety/etc"



It's called a molecular transformer, one that would allow you to modify existing objects. When you put on a AR glasses, who is to say that virtual world is better than the real world, they are about the same.


tenchi22 wrote:

Immortality? Meh it takes forever.


Ya, it's taking a while to come out, even for biological immortality . I hope I get it in my life time, else I would have to rely on the molecular transformer
13740 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / Winnipeg
Offline
Posted 7/10/17
Better start looking for those Dragon Balls then...
I hear there are 7. Good luck!
487 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / United States
Offline
Posted 7/10/17
Wouldn't you get bored living forever? Plus (as far as I'm concerned), the whole living immortal thing would only really work if your loved ones (specifically your wife) could live and be immortal as well.
5478 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25
Offline
Posted 7/10/17 , edited 7/10/17

BarnardNeo99 wrote:

Wouldn't you get bored living forever? Plus (as far as I'm concerned), the whole living immortal thing would only really work if your loved ones (specifically your wife) could live and be immortal as well.


Oh god no I would not want my "imaginary wife" to be immortal with me. Then I would have to deal with her nagging for an eternity, and I would end up begging to die to get away from her.

Maybe other loved ones but no "woman partner" please.


It's called a molecular transformer, one that would allow you to modify existing objects. When you put on a AR glasses, who is to say that virtual world is better than the real world, they are about the same.


Oooh molecular transformer huh? I am sure they are already in the process of developing this sort of technology.
5763 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M
Offline
Posted 7/10/17 , edited 7/10/17

amejia0 wrote:


BarnardNeo99 wrote:

Wouldn't you get bored living forever? Plus (as far as I'm concerned), the whole living immortal thing would only really work if your loved ones (specifically your wife) could live and be immortal as well.


Oh god no I would not want my "imaginary wife" to be immortal with me. Then I would have to deal with her nagging for an eternity, and I would end up begging to die to get away from her.

Maybe other loved ones but no "woman partner" please.


It's called a molecular transformer, one that would allow you to modify existing objects. When you put on a AR glasses, who is to say that virtual world is better than the real world, they are about the same.


Oooh molecular transformer huh? I am sure they are already in the process of developing this sort of technology.


It's a myth, but I heard it came from the sky with a bolt of fire. Anyway we'll talk more when we become immortal forever, just you and me pal
21774 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
47 / M / Between yesterday...
Online
Posted 7/10/17

HateKillingCamels wrote:

even if you were immortal your life would still probably be wasted away working. IT's all pointless anyway, why make it longer.


Wow you are in for a shock. Life is meant to be lived and enjoyed and in time work will be less and less machines will fill the roles we currently fill. Society will change that is the one constant in life. Also we are getting closer to immortality the expert believe the first person that will live basically forever is already alive.
5924 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 7/10/17 , edited 7/10/17

gvblackmoon wrote:

Wow you are in for a shock. Life is meant to be lived and enjoyed and in time work will be less and less machines will fill the roles we currently fill. Society will change that is the one constant in life. Also we are getting closer to immortality the expert believe the first person that will live basically forever is already alive.


Machines will take on more roles, yes, making less jobs. Society will refuse to change however, and will just be an even worse version of a caste system where the select few rich have all the money and resources and robot armies while the poor starve and struggle in poverty.
21774 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
47 / M / Between yesterday...
Online
Posted 7/10/17

HateKillingCamels wrote:


gvblackmoon wrote:

Wow you are in for a shock. Life is meant to be lived and enjoyed and in time work will be less and less machines will fill the roles we currently fill. Society will change that is the one constant in life. Also we are getting closer to immortality the expert believe the first person that will live basically forever is already alive.


Machines will take on more roles, yes, making less jobs. Society will refuse to change however, and will just be an even worse version of a caste system where the select few rich have all the money and resources and robot armies while the poor starve and struggle in poverty.


Society doesn't refuse to change only small subsections of it refuse, those are called conservatives and they tend to get run over by said change. Look at history you can see when and where society changed it isn't always smooth or gentle but it does happen. This isn't the first time our society has changed and it won't be the last how we as a society deal with this change will determine if it is smooth or rough.

As for immortality it will take several forms as we develop the tech.
1298 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / PA, USA
Offline
Posted 7/10/17 , edited 7/10/17
Have at it. I, however, strongly suspect that immortality would eventually result in me being driven insane.
5924 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 7/10/17 , edited 7/10/17

gvblackmoon wrote:

Society doesn't refuse to change only small subsections of it refuse, those are called conservatives and they tend to get run over by said change. Look at history you can see when and where society changed it isn't always smooth or gentle but it does happen. This isn't the first time our society has changed and it won't be the last how we as a society deal with this change will determine if it is smooth or rough.

As for immortality it will take several forms as we develop the tech.


Society changes mostly through war, revolt and protest, which mattered before to the people in power because in the end, poor out-number the rich. Doesn't matter how much so called power the people up there have if the vast majority of people are sick of their shit, and the rich NEED the poor.

But as things won't be that way for long. With the rise of more automation and robotics, the rich and powerful will be less and less reliant on the poor for anything. Not only that, but they will be capable of having their own completely automated private armies which will completely overwhelm any amount of torches and pitch forks. They don't need the poor. Society can't change because there will be no pressure for the people in power to change it.

And yeah, only people that get immortality will be the ones that earn it.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.