First  Prev  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  Next  Last
Post Reply Hajimete no Gal (My First Girlfriend is a Gal) Discussion
18849 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M / CA
Offline
Posted 8/16/17
Lolicon is basically a background character in the manga, as is blondie. Glasses-kun is the only one who talks of the three consistently, the three of them are toned way down in the manga so it's actually worth a read just for that.

It also develops Junichi/Yukana way more before even introducing the harem. I mean I do understand a bit of why the anime is paced as such, if the anime followed the manga, there would've literally have been 3-4 episodes of just Junichi/Yukana with no one else even getting a second of screentime.
18759 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M
Online
Posted 8/17/17
Damn, that's quite the slip.



The kings game was really fun. I enjoyed it.
2116 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / F / The margins
Offline
Posted 8/17/17
Could've been better - needed more Yame - but I still enjoyed it. The show did a good job at the beginning making you horrified of how things would mess up, and Minoru's recorders just freaked you out even more for what might happen. That the game ended so cleanly was kind of a letdown in that regard: The first few episodes set the show up to do something really wrenching to the characters' naive approaches to relationships. Their game this episode could've brought a lot of their pain and warpedness to the surface, but instead it kept it under wraps and gave everything a happy ending. Instead of having all or most of the characters progress, we had Yame and Junichi move forward a little and everyone else stay in the same place. Again, it was nice and I enjoyed it, but I feel like this episode meant Hajimete no Gal is blunting its edge. It might still be fun, but it won't be nearly as interesting.
2116 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / F / The margins
Offline
Posted 8/17/17
I should say though: Shinpei is almost too great, and his voice actor is perfect.
22198 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / Oppai Hell
Offline
Posted 8/17/17 , edited 8/17/17

auroraloose wrote:


PeripheralVisionary wrote:

I do not have that much of a problem with perverted friends and main characters, or humor concerning underage children, but they are just beating a dead horse at this point. "Aha, he is a pedophile, doing pedophile like things"...for the umpteenth time. Oh, and the sky is fucking blue. Yawn. Why bring his character any screentime if it is the same old same old? The humor is the same punchline, the character is one dimensional.


I don't know that it's intentional, but Hajimete no Gal feels kind of like a morality play, with Minoru the character (or one of the characters) you're not supposed to be. The morality play needs its "bad" characters to remind the audience of the lesson they're supposed to learn. Again, scenes with Minoru are almost as obviously moralizing as that "this is your brain on drugs" commercial. Hell, Yame is even the shining feminine Junichi looks to to save him. It'll be interesting how the show actually has her act; plenty about Hajimete no Gal makes me roll my eyes, but what happens with Yame is central to what it's doing.

Anyway, we're supposed to hate Minoru, and having him there helps us see how good Junichi is. I think we could almost say that what Minoru did this episode was intended to produce just the kind of reaction you had, about the honorable appreciation of imoutoliciousness and whatnot.

EDIT: I forgot - the show straight up employs morality skits in Junichi's head.


I thought about this, and I came tot he same conclusion between a character like Shou Tucker from FMA or Griffith from Berserk, and the differences between other characters like Happosai from Ranma or Orihime Inoune from Bleach, or to expand the horizon, basically any aged western cartoons from the 80s or 90s.

A difference between being hated and being an annoyance. We hate Griffith because of the eclipse. He is meant to be hated, and his unpleasantness cannot be ascribed to his mere existence or anything devoted to screentime, while with what many consider Shippou from Inyuasha, or Sumomo from Chobits to be just irritating, and while not "evil", just unpleasant to watch or be diverted to from the main action.

I am not old as you, but whenever I see

I often old reruns, I can tell that the age of cartoons from before was heavily into merchandising with its cute mascot characters, and even now, we have characters like Minions from Despicable Me to this day.

While I would argue Shippou is a legitimate character, we then have people defined by one gimmick that isn't given enough variety as an reacting gimmick and such, that I am annoyed. Not hateful, annoyed.

I think there is some usage in having a character hated. It causes one to be more immersed in the story, and to care about what is happening. Annoyance does the opposite to me. I become disinterested in the show. I consider Minoru to be within that same general category. Not hateful, just annoying.

I often ascribe my annoyance to a knowable evil, rather than anything great like murder, rape, bankruptcy, etc. I have been annoyed several times by the overly persistent, as are many other people.
2116 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / F / The margins
Offline
Posted 8/17/17

PeripheralVisionary wrote:


auroraloose wrote:


PeripheralVisionary wrote:

I do not have that much of a problem with perverted friends and main characters, or humor concerning underage children, but they are just beating a dead horse at this point. "Aha, he is a pedophile, doing pedophile like things"...for the umpteenth time. Oh, and the sky is fucking blue. Yawn. Why bring his character any screentime if it is the same old same old? The humor is the same punchline, the character is one dimensional.


I don't know that it's intentional, but Hajimete no Gal feels kind of like a morality play, with Minoru the character (or one of the characters) you're not supposed to be. The morality play needs its "bad" characters to remind the audience of the lesson they're supposed to learn. Again, scenes with Minoru are almost as obviously moralizing as that "this is your brain on drugs" commercial. Hell, Yame is even the shining feminine Junichi looks to to save him. It'll be interesting how the show actually has her act; plenty about Hajimete no Gal makes me roll my eyes, but what happens with Yame is central to what it's doing.

Anyway, we're supposed to hate Minoru, and having him there helps us see how good Junichi is. I think we could almost say that what Minoru did this episode was intended to produce just the kind of reaction you had, about the honorable appreciation of imoutoliciousness and whatnot.

EDIT: I forgot - the show straight up employs morality skits in Junichi's head.


I thought about this, and I came tot he same conclusion between a character like Shou Tucker from FMA or Griffith from Berserk, and the differences between other characters like Happosai from Ranma or Orihime Inoune from Bleach, or to expand the horizon, basically any aged western cartoons from the 80s or 90s.

A difference between being hated and being an annoyance. We hate Griffith because of the eclipse. He is meant to be hated, and his unpleasantness cannot be ascribed to his mere existence or anything devoted to screentime, while with what many consider Shippou from Inyuasha, or Sumomo from Chobits to be just irritating, and while not "evil", just unpleasant to watch or be diverted to from the main action.

I am not old as you, but whenever I see

I often old reruns, I can tell that the age of cartoons from before was heavily into merchandising with its cute mascot characters, and even now, we have characters like Minions from Despicable Me to this day.

While I would argue Shippou is a legitimate character, we then have people defined by one gimmick that isn't given enough variety as an reacting gimmick and such, that I am annoyed. Not hateful, annoyed.

I think there is some usage in having a character hated. It causes one to be more immersed in the story, and to care about what is happening. Annoyance does the opposite to me. I become disinterested in the show. I consider Minoru to be within that same general category. Not hateful, just annoying.

I often ascribe my annoyance to a knowable evil, rather than anything great like murder, rape, bankruptcy, etc. I have been annoyed several times by the overly persistent, as are many other people.


This makes sense. I think what I forgot to consider is that most straight morality plays are pretty dumb - and the characters end up being solely annoying, as you said. I definitely think Minoru is performing the function of the morality play's "bad" character, but you're completely right that that doesn't preclude him from being annoying.

I do think the thing with the recorders was funny, though: because you know it's something bad, but you have little idea why. That kind of uncertainty can be very disturbing, and the show definitely played it to effect.
10263 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
38 / M / SW Ontario, Canada
Offline
Posted 8/17/17

auroraloose wrote:

I do think the thing with the recorders was funny, though: because you know it's something bad, but you have little idea why. That kind of uncertainty can be very disturbing, and the show definitely played it to effect.


I'm totally on board with this, and I actually found him to be one of the best characters in this episode purely because they (sort of) stopped shoving his perversion in our faces. You can definitely make guesses about the recorders but it wasn't anywhere near as blatant as he usually is. I'm hoping we never actually get any explanation for them but maybe next episode he randomly shows up with something different, perhaps with no actual spoken dialogue at all.
42833 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 8/17/17
I don't recall which characters are the ones doing the previews (which is probably on purpose) but I totally love them.

I like how Junichi is steadily proving himself to be real boyfriend material. It make Yame falling for him all the more believable.

Did anyone else think Nene's face looked strange at times? Any of the 3/4 views during the King's Game scene just seemed off and flat.
Ztaxas 
108 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Miami
Offline
Posted 8/18/17

domvina wrote:

I don't recall which characters are the ones doing the previews (which is probably on purpose) but I totally love them.

I like how Junichi is steadily proving himself to be real boyfriend material. It make Yame falling for him all the more believable.

Did anyone else think Nene's face looked strange at times? Any of the 3/4 views during the King's Game scene just seemed off and flat.


Oh you mean the full eye + 3/4 eye many people had during this episode? It looked veeeery weird, kinda like a cheap and lazy way to do 3/4 view of a face
26537 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
53 / M / Bay Area
Offline
Posted 8/18/17
Good episode what I like is Yame isn't dumb she is under estimated constantly but always knows what time it is. Junichi is moving up the ladder of trust will see what happens soon with a beach episode. I hope the writers shows some growth with supporting cast members since Yame is including them in the future get together?
59038 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
36 / M / Planet Sanno
Offline
Posted 8/20/17 , edited 26 days ago

chronomasakari wrote:
Glasses-kun is the only one who talks of the three consistently.


Glasses-kun (the Black Swordsman, apparently) has really been growing on me, and then I found out it's because he has the same voice actor as the main character from Noucome. He does really well at bouncing from serious to silly.
60 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 27 days ago , edited 26 days ago
Episode 7 is the best episode so far in my opinion. Yame and Junichi getting closer a little and he wasn't too soft in this one. Also



Yui giving me the feels. Strongly!
2116 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / F / The margins
Offline
Posted 27 days ago , edited 26 days ago
That was way too boring. Admittedly, Shinpei's job idea for Minoru did make me scream "NO" at the screen - an impressive feat, as I'm not easily moved - but other than that the show dropped the ball: the raw painfulness of the characters' naivete about relationships. I don't know why the writers are making the decisions they are, but this summer job episode was a bad idea. I expect the beach episode to be good, but after two episodes with no edge, one of which was incredibly boring, I'm worried. Maybe Hajimete no Gal is just too weird a thing: the conditions don't exist for its good aspects to shine, so it starts with a bang and mellows out to mediocrity.

Anyway. Since Minoru is the main topic of conversation, I should say that now I'm slightly fed up with the show about him. Minoru is funny - his conceit works - when the amount of time he talks about his *ahem* proclivities is minimal, and instead he's presented in situations where said proclivities play a part - e.g., causing us terror. Just the idea that he'd work at a daycare is awful (and Shinpei, uncharacteristically, accommodated him), the recorders were hilarious, and the time he slavered over Nene, not knowing who she was, also worked well. But there he was doing things. In the last episode he only said something about it once; the rest of his contribution was his having the recorders, and he didn't need to say anything for that to work. But in this episode we have both: he does something (gets a job) but also fantasizes aloud repeatedly. It's like the writers don't know how their own character works as a joke. Now, I do think Minoru needs to fantasize aloud at least a little - it serves as a reminder that these people are idiots - but he doesn't need too as much as he did this episode. He's already inherently grating, so just a little is enough. Perhaps I'm just expanding on something PeripheralVisionary already said:


PeripheralVisionary wrote:

While I would argue Shippou is a legitimate character, we then have people defined by one gimmick that isn't given enough variety as an reacting gimmick and such, that I am annoyed. Not hateful, annoyed.


I suppose it should also be mentioned that we did learn that Minoru knows not to molest kids, even if the manner in which we learned this was disturbing.
26537 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
53 / M / Bay Area
Offline
Posted 26 days ago
Part time job done and money made. Yame and Junichi make an agreement to go on trip just the two of them some time after beach trip. My hope is ditch the friends especially males and have episode of just the two of them on outing the dudes sometimes are hard to take when get to much screen time.
8384 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M
Offline
Posted 26 days ago
I thought this episode was kinda bad, probably cause it's just here to set up the next episode. There is progression being made relationship wise albeit with only 3 more episodes to go, hopefully we get some intimacy with just Junichi and Yame before this show ends. I did like it when the girls were reading those light novels tho, that was some nice audio fanservice. Also what the hell is Glasses-kun planning?

Did anyone else notice that the manager at the cosplay cafe literally looks like Hasekawa from Gintama???
First  Prev  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.