First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  Next  Last
Post Reply Classroom of the Elite Discussion
25188 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
56 / M /
Offline
Posted 7/12/17
I liked the show. Favorite character so far: the sensei. Least favorite: the blonde dude from the bus. i will watch more.
41516 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
38 / M / UK
Offline
Posted 7/12/17 , edited 7/19/17

mythrilmothV2 wrote:

Yeah...I see a lot of people saying this is good? But honestly, nine minutes in I just don't care about any of these characters.
.


The episode is 24 minutes long

346 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 7/12/17 , edited 7/12/17

icecreamsnow wrote:


mythrilmothV2 wrote:

Yeah...I see a lot of people saying this is good? But honestly, nine minutes in I just don't care about any of these characters.
.


The episode is 24 minutes long



No kidding, really? If you hadn't told me that I'd never have known, because I'm so bad at math and terrible with numbers that I can't tell from looking at the counter when the episode is paused that I've watched 9 minutes of a 24 minute episode.

Thanks for missing my point entirely, by the way. I'm saying I hate the characters after less than half an episode so much that I don't CARE to watch the full episode. I've seen all I needed to see of this.
591 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
47 / F / Europe
Offline
Posted 7/12/17
I have kind of mixed feelings about this. The predictable 'end of the line' class of misfits that the rest of the school openly dumps on is not just old and cliché, but can easily just be annoying if badly done. That would be the case in most animes, where the bullying and blatant favoritism of the other students is done so heavy-handedly that even the animes themselves seem to groan from the impact. This looks to be another case in point.

On the other hand, I did enjoy the 100,000 ppt life lesson. I would have enjoyed it a whole lot more if I was sure it applied to the whole school, that is all the first year classes equally. But somehow I doubt that. That is where my gripe with the above mentioned cliché comes in. The episode ended with a nice novel twist, but it was ruined by the underlying setup of that very cliché for me. So while I haven't quite given up on this yet, my expectations are somewhat tempered.
41516 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
38 / M / UK
Offline
Posted 7/12/17

mythrilmothV2 wrote:

No kidding, really? If you hadn't told me that I'd never have known, because I'm so bad at math and terrible with numbers that I can't tell from looking at the counter when the episode is paused that I've watched 9 minutes of a 24 minute episode.


It's fine. I'm glad I helped you.

6543 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 7/12/17 , edited 7/13/17
Looking forward to seeing more from this series. In the sea of school-based anime this season (or any season really), this show's atmosphere distinguishes it from the rest. There's something disquieting under the surface that gnaws at the viewers; which I'm digging.

Rather curious as to why Horikita's so strained whenever it comes to the student council president (presumably her brother).
18618 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 7/12/17 , edited 7/12/17
Pretty sure this kid was reading Himawari-san

25188 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
56 / M /
Offline
Posted 7/12/17
I think (he does?) that the best way to go into any anime is with as few expectations as possible. That way you don't place a burden ON THE SHOW about what trope it might fit into. Again just my opinion and worth 1/1,000,000th what you paid for it.
20797 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Texas
Offline
Posted 7/12/17 , edited 7/19/17
EVERYONE CHILL! Omg! Anyways I do have some questions? So is the entire class graded as a whole in the point system? What If they complete go broke? For 3 years? Are they screwed?? Merit system ehh so can they have both positive and negative merits?

Everyone who says they drop this, good riddance. The ones who like a good psychological anime are here to stay.
20797 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Texas
Offline
Posted 7/12/17

mythrilmothV2 wrote:

Yeah...I see a lot of people saying this is good? But honestly, nine minutes in I just don't care about any of these characters. They're almost all entitled, self-possessed jerks, the protagonist is annoyingly laconic and cynical, we've got the Bitchy For No Reason Girl, and the opening scene with the asshole on the bus set a bad tone for this.

Hard pass.


BYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
346 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 7/12/17

soulsinferno wrote:

EVERYONE CHILL! Omg! Anyways I do have some questions? So is the entire class graded as a whole in the point system? What If they complete go broke? For 3 years? Are they screwed?? Merit system ehh so can they have both positive and negative merits?

Everyone who says they drop this, good riddance. The ones who like a good psychological anime are here to stay.



soulsinferno wrote:


mythrilmothV2 wrote:

Yeah...I see a lot of people saying this is good? But honestly, nine minutes in I just don't care about any of these characters. They're almost all entitled, self-possessed jerks, the protagonist is annoyingly laconic and cynical, we've got the Bitchy For No Reason Girl, and the opening scene with the asshole on the bus set a bad tone for this.

Hard pass.


BYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE


Excuse me.

There is absolutely no reason to be this much of a jerk over somebody saying they don't particularly care for a show you like.

We all have different tastes. There's nothing wrong with that. There are probably a ton of things I like that you don't like. Am I going to act like an ass to you because you say you don't like something I like? No, I'm not. Because everybody has different tastes.

The way you're acting in this thread...it doesn't really speak very kindly of you. Now, that other person in this thread I had a little...exchange...with, I'm not sure what's wrong with that person, but you? You're being immature and acting EXACTLY like the guy on the bus in the first scene of this show.

Do you REALLY want to be that guy? (The answer is no. No you do not.)

Please be respectful of others who have dissenting opinions and don't like the same things you like. That's the polite, mature, responsible thing to do. You can disagree with someone, argue that they're wrong about things, but don't just flat out act like a jerk to somebody just because they don't like a show you like.

I mean...stop and think about how you're acting here. Seriously.
27284 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
53 / M / Bay Area
Offline
Posted 7/12/17 , edited 7/13/17
Show is good haters will always hate
43319 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 7/12/17 , edited 7/19/17
Interesting. I rather like Kiyotaka and Suzune. For some reason they come off as more "real" than your typical trope main characters. Though the writers couldn't help but put them in the "MC and friend" seats so not quite a complete escape from tropes.

I'm curious to see where the show goes next. The first episode caught my attention but seeing the writers lay out a story worth watching will be the test for the second. Unlike a series such as Baka & Test that sets itself as a comedy right off the bat Elite looks like it's going down a drama route which is fine but hopefully the drama goes more deeply than "let's all pull together". Anne Happy had a similar theme of the "misfit" classroom but it played out lessons of finding happiness even in apparent failure. What does Elite intend to bring to the table? Hopefully the next episode fleshes out that answer adequately.
106935 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / This Dying World
Offline
Posted 7/12/17
Suzune and Kiyotaka VA's are super fledgling.

I suppose a monotonic voice works.
62359 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M
Offline
Posted 7/12/17 , edited 7/19/17

domvina wrote:

Though the writers couldn't help but put them in the "MC and friend" seats so not quite a complete escape from tropes.


And not just any seat. He was assigned a seat in the back of the classroom and by window!
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.