First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  Next  Last
Post Reply Classroom of the Elite Discussion
3911 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Finland
Offline
Posted 7/13/17
Whoa, now that's one heck of a school system. Imagine if that actually existed, yikes.
1007 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M
Offline
Posted 7/13/17
Well, I'm excited. The large cast makes me think this will be similar to The Lost Village, studying group psychology and dysfunction. The range of character types offers a lot of interesting combinations, and the cynicism right out of the gate is either going to lead to a happy/optimistic ending or a grimdark nihililsm fest. I really hope they move from cynical to idealistic/realistic like Yahari did.

Definitely going to keep watching.
41516 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
38 / M / UK
Offline
Posted 7/13/17 , edited 7/13/17

xxJing wrote:

It makes me wonder, are they being judged as a class or are they being judged individually?

It makes me think they are being judged as a class though, since I doubt Horikita would have lost so many points on her own.


Pretty sure it's class based, partly because they want to force the talented people with zero social skills to work on them. *cough* Horikita *cough*
20879 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
36 / M / SoFlo
Offline
Posted 7/13/17 , edited 7/13/17

soulsinferno wrote:I wouldn't have given up my seat on the bus either, no law said he had too. First come first serve. At leat the guy gave a long winded explanation on why he didn't want to give up the seat, but the girl asked when she didn't want to, she said it was a matter of "principal"? Wtf ever does that mean? You won't be coming back here anyways? But oh well....


But he was sitting in the "priority seating" section which is meant for elders, expecting mothers, disabled and young children. Sure, you're not going to go to jail over it but don't expect the other passengers & bus driver to act so meek like they did in the episode.Chances are if you're a young man and refuse to give up your priority seating you'll get called out on it. Also if you notice he was taking up an extra spot with his bag. It's not about principal at that point, it's about establishing him as being an elite dick. He's lucky someone didn't kick his ass.
2294 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Mega-City One
Offline
Posted 7/13/17
Interesting episode (although the reveal was pretty well telegraphed.) I just finished My Teen RomCom, so the comparisons struck me particularly hard. (Cynical Guy/Ice Queen/Genki Girl might be a trope in the making.)
77610 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 7/13/17 , edited 7/13/17
Funny correlation in my head, during the bus scene in Classroom of the Elite as soon as the blonde guy started monologuing I instantly thought of a paladin back in ICC who took a pre-heroic best-in-slot agility cloak over an enhance shaman and two rogues because it was an upgrade and there was no loot rule against him taking it.

Whole guild was like wtf is wrong with you.


soulsinferno wrote:

I wouldn't have given up my seat on the bus either, no law said he had too. First come first serve.

Allow me the honor of being the first person on the internet to call you a douche.


soulsinferno wrote:

At leat the guy gave a long winded explanation on why he didn't want to give up the seat, but the girl asked when she didn't want to, she said it was a matter of "principal"? Wtf ever does that mean? You won't be coming back here anyways? But oh well....

Kushida is being set up as a social manipulator and Horikita is refusing to be strung along by her on principle.
13771 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M
Offline
Posted 7/13/17
I find the whole class gets graded as a whole system to be a bit unfair. No reason for the people who actually do work to be punished for the sloth of others.

Also, the main character only used roughly $156 the whole month. Bully for him. I tend to go through that in a week,
13771 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M
Offline
Posted 7/13/17

scoobydew wrote:

Wonder if you can give points or buy stuff for other students and charge interest or get favors?


When I first heard the term "point system" this is how I immediately thought it would play out. I figured the girl who was trying to be everyone's friend was just trying to manipulate them so she doesn't spend any of her points, and somehow steals the points of her classmates.
25748 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / Atlanta, GA, USA
Offline
Posted 7/13/17 , edited 7/13/17
It could be an interesting show.

The bus scene was difficult to believe, though. Standing takes no energy at all.


Bowie-Sensei wrote:

I find the whole class gets graded as a whole system to be a bit unfair. No reason for the people who actually do work to be punished for the sloth of others.

Also, the main character only used roughly $156 the whole month. Bully for him. I tend to go through that in a week,


Actually, I wish they'd grade classes as a whole in reality. It works well in amplifying peer pressure to get the slackers motivated. Unfair, but effective. Really teaches them how to extract labor from others, too.

$156 a month is doable if we're collecting free shampoo and there's no rent to pay or gas to buy, I guess. Still, better go with canned fruits/vegetables instead of fresh.
15884 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / New York
Online
Posted 7/13/17 , edited 7/19/17
If the premise of this show is about equality, I get the feeling it'll be exploring how "equality" is really oppressive. Not only is individual expression and freedom lost to a generic group sameness, but it's also based someone else's arbitrary parameters.

The asshole on the bus may be deemed a failure because of his inconsiderate actions.

Likewise, the girl wanting to make friends with everyone may be deemed a failure simply because she's friends with everyone – there are others who have few or no friends at all, why should she have so many?

These are two extremes, but a standard deviation of equality removes such "anomalies". Equality seeks that point where no one is better or worse than another. In essence, you're judged in the trap of someone's parameters and squeezed to conform. Imo, that squeeze is toward the weakest point of humanity. "What is evil? Whatever springs from weakness."

Horikita's reluctance to go with the flow gives me hope that she sees through the bullshit system.
JuJu26 
32986 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / U.S.A.
Offline
Posted 7/13/17
This show is kind of blowing ass. MC is very monotone, which doesn't feel impactful. I like the premise, but the cast feels boring enough to throw that all away.
283 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / MOVING hehe
Online
Posted 7/13/17 , edited 7/13/17

Kavalion wrote:

It could be an interesting show.

The bus scene was difficult to believe, though. Standing takes no energy at all.


Bowie-Sensei wrote:

I find the whole class gets graded as a whole system to be a bit unfair. No reason for the people who actually do work to be punished for the sloth of others.

Also, the main character only used roughly $156 the whole month. Bully for him. I tend to go through that in a week,


Actually, I wish they'd grade classes as a whole in reality. It works well in amplifying peer pressure to get the slackers motivated. Unfair, but effective. Really teaches them how to extract labor from others, too.

$156 a month is doable if we're collecting free shampoo and there's no rent to pay or gas to buy, I guess. Still, better go with canned fruits/vegetables instead of fresh.


I think the bus scene was just to portray the guy as an asshole character from the start.

I disagree on your classes idea tho, partially from what I've taken in psych and econ type classes.

This is an example of what studies think will likely happen: a class is told that all students will receive the same grade on an exam, based on the class average. So say half the class gets A's and half the class gets C's, then everyone ends up with a B. Then exam two comes up, and everyone gets C's. The students who originally got C's, but were given higher grades of B's, gave the same amount of effort on the second exam as the first. The students who originally got A's, but were given lower grades of B's, gave less effort on the second exam due to their work not being rewarded.

When everyone is given the same share regardless of effort, the desire to excel drops dramatically. It's like the whole "everyone gets trophies" debate. Obviously, not all cases would end up like that example, but it's believed to be the norm.

And yeah, I bet $156 a month is doable if it was just eating food since their housing and utilities are clearly paid for them. Still not easy tho

Edit* Totally didn't talk about the show cause of that lol:
Liked the first episode, wasn't too exciting until the end. But, it has a lot of mystery and left me with questions, and I always want to find out all the answers in shows like this, so I'll def be watching the next episode.
37637 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / Florida
Offline
Posted 7/14/17
Best first episode of the season next to Aho-girl. MC relates a lot to me. Finally someone with that attitude.
foovay 
24332 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
58 / F / Las Cruces, New M...
Offline
Posted 7/14/17 , edited 7/14/17
I actually really liked the first episode. It has me intrigued enough that I'm sure I'll be back for the next one, and probably the whole season just to see how it all works out and how much the characters change and learn.

The bus scene surprised me in that all those young people were sitting there being quiet about it. Myself, I would have given the lady a seat. I feel that age deserves respect. It is also a societal thing, and this is something I am seeing a lot of here in the US the last few years. The bottom line is, you treat others with kindness, especially elders, handicapped, etc. because you never know when you'll be the one needing an act of kindness. Someday you will be old (hopefully) and tired and need to sit down. What you put out is what you get back.

However, admittedly, by the end of the show I was beginning to have my doubts about the motives of the "I want to be everyone's friend" girl. I don't like manipulation like that stunt in the cafe. And I myself, have refused to be friends with someone who "wanted to be friends with everyone in T-town who is on LJ". I am a human, not a collectible.

I think this is going to be interesting and spark some thought and conversation. There is a place for simple, silly humorous slice of life, but it's also really nice to get something a bit more intellectual now and then, too.
15031 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 7/14/17
You will notice that she had the third highest amount of points left.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.