First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
Comprehensible English or "Grammar Nazi"
77844 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
51 / F / Toronto
Offline
Posted 7/14/17 , edited 7/14/17

foraslan wrote:


papagolfwhiskey wrote:

The thing I really despise is the habit of some people in a debate to say "your grammar/spelling was in error, therefore your argument is invalid"


Oooh... Well, that's a whole new kettle of worms. No, bad grammar/spelling do not invalidate an argument, but I'm much more likely to lose interest in a real debate if I have to get past constant mistakes in your post (or article, or comment, or anything else). I won't call people or their ideas stupid because of writing issues, but I have reached points where I stop responding. Tone matters, and your use of grammar and spelling conventions helps to set the tone of your writing. "Hey m8, what r u up 2 Im going to the movies" does not cut it if you want people to take you seriously in an argument.


No argument there. If reading someone's posts makes my brain hurt and not because of new ideas. I'll stop responding but that's not the same as someone trying to invalidate an argument by pointing at some other mistake. I wonder if there is a logical fallacy name for that?


1544 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 7/14/17 , edited 7/14/17

papagolfwhiskey wrote:
No argument there. If reading someone's posts makes my brain hurt and not because of new ideas. I'll stop responding but that's not the same as someone trying to invalidate an argument by pointing at some other mistake. I wonder if there is a logical fallacy name for that?





Not specifically that I know of. It's a kind of red herring, I suppose. If they use it to undermine the author's credibility, it might be considered an ad hominem.
25804 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M / Atlanta, GA, USA
Offline
Posted 7/14/17 , edited 7/14/17

papagolfwhiskey wrote:
I find the way some people write online hard to read and it leaves a bad impression as to their intelligence/education.

especially since it's almost always native speakers of the language as oppose to someone for whom English is a second language (or more).

What do you think? Do I have a point? Am I a "Grammar Nazi"?

Edit:
PS: I contemptuously dismiss threads that can't spell the words "you" and "are"




Sounds like you care more about aesthetics than substance.
77844 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
51 / F / Toronto
Offline
Posted 7/14/17 , edited 7/14/17

Kavalion wrote:


papagolfwhiskey wrote:
I find the way some people write online hard to read and it leaves a bad impression as to their intelligence/education.

especially since it's almost always native speakers of the language as oppose to someone for whom English is a second language (or more).

What do you think? Do I have a point? Am I a "Grammar Nazi"?

Edit:
PS: I contemptuously dismiss threads that can't spell the words "you" and "are"




Sounds like you care more about aesthetics than substance.


Perhaps. but if someone can't be bothered to use good English in the title of their post. I mean really "U R"? Then I find myself doubting they have anything of value to say. Perhaps that is conceited but that's the way I honestly feel.


25804 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M / Atlanta, GA, USA
Offline
Posted 7/14/17 , edited 7/14/17

papagolfwhiskey wrote:
Perhaps. but if someone can't be bothered to use good English in the title of their post. I mean really "U R"? Then I find myself doubting they have anything of value to say. Perhaps that is conceited but that's the way I honestly feel.


Hmm, much like judging a book by its cover!
14704 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M
Offline
Posted 7/14/17 , edited 7/15/17
If a person uses grammar like he came from the ghetto then I'd be a little concerned but if he made one little error then he should be left alone. A person can end up making mistakes every once in a while due to a lack of attention whether it's because he woke up on the wrong side of bed that day or he's thinking about his failed date while typing. There's really no point in correcting him in this case since he'll probably use correct grammar next time even if you don't correct him.

Hell, correction tends to be a pretty poor strategy in foreign language instruction anyways.
First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.