First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next  Last
Post Reply NASA just announced it cant afford to go to Mars.
5656 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / A garbage bin.
Offline
Posted 7/14/17 , edited 7/16/17
Rujikin wrote:

"Stop sending aid to any/all countries then GO TO MARS with the saved money!!!"

Yeah! Stop caring about, you know, human beings on Earth, and fund a mission to send people to a planet that in the short term won't really yield anything!

How about sap the Defense Budget a a few billion and divert that to send aid to, once again, human beings on Earth AND to N.A.S.A.


still suck at quotes.

3496 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / F / Seoul, South Korea
Offline
Posted 7/14/17

RyukoKuroki wrote:

Rujikin wrote:

"Stop sending aid to any/all countries then GO TO MARS with the saved money!!!"

Yeah! Stop caring about, you know, human beings on Earth, and fund a mission to send people to a planet that in the short term won't really yield anything!

How about sap the Defense Budget a a few billion and divert that to send aid to, once again, human beings on Earth AND to N.A.S.A.


still suck at quotes.



I agree. That is a weird thing to say.

Mars isn't that important now.
870 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
52 / M
Offline
Posted 7/14/17
How 'bout we practice on the moon first. What say you?
839 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / PA, USA
Online
Posted 7/14/17
Frankly, I'd be surprised if NASA could. There's been talk of the program's purse being tight for well over a decade, in part because of space travel no longer being the novelty it once was. Less public and private interest transfers into less funding.
Banned
Ejanss 
16609 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 7/14/17 , edited 7/14/17

mxdan wrote:

This has made me more disappointed then anything political in the last year... :(


Well, that's good, now it'll give us more time to figure out how to relieve three-month cabin-fever (as opposed to a three-day Moon weekend), and how to establish artificial gravity in ships to fight the crippling effects of bone-loss in extended Zero G.

Whew, turns out money was the only problem.
11380 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Winnipeg, MB.
Offline
Posted 7/14/17

RyukoKuroki wrote:

Rujikin wrote:

"Stop sending aid to any/all countries then GO TO MARS with the saved money!!!"

Yeah! Stop caring about, you know, human beings on Earth, and fund a mission to send people to a planet that in the short term won't really yield anything!

How about sap the Defense Budget a a few billion and divert that to send aid to, once again, human beings on Earth AND to N.A.S.A.


still suck at quotes.



See? This guy gets it
48322 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M
Offline
Posted 7/14/17 , edited 7/14/17

octorockandroll wrote:


RyukoKuroki wrote:

Rujikin wrote:

"Stop sending aid to any/all countries then GO TO MARS with the saved money!!!"

Yeah! Stop caring about, you know, human beings on Earth, and fund a mission to send people to a planet that in the short term won't really yield anything!

How about sap the Defense Budget a a few billion and divert that to send aid to, once again, human beings on Earth AND to N.A.S.A.


still suck at quotes.



See? This guy gets it


yeah but the immergrents took ma job. Fuck em all
1078 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / IDK
Offline
Posted 7/14/17
Well the amount of money we spend on the military is ridiculous. A few spare dollars could go to NASA without hurting anyone.
12407 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
39 / M / Charlotte, NC
Offline
Posted 7/14/17 , edited 7/14/17
Correction: Nasa can't afford to send people to Mars and bring them back. You can send them one way. For maybe half the cost. I'm sure they'd still get plenty of volunteers for a one-way mission.
Posted 7/14/17

uncletim wrote:

cut defense spending by 25% for one year and you can fully fund NASA for 20 years


even if "defense" were left untouched, cut the black budget and you can easily fund NASA for 20 years

*cough* funny how Rumsfeld's missing 2.3 trillion dollars he talked about on 9/10/2001 is 8T+ or more now...

end the counterfeiting operations in the central banks of the world and there winds up being a whole lot more for the people of the world.
29031 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Bundaberg, Queens...
Offline
Posted 7/14/17
I mean mars travel is pointless right now but it's still a bummer on the bright side now another country can take lead
1194 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
16 / F / Haymarket, VA
Offline
Posted 7/14/17
Minsc 
82473 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
35 / M / PEI, Canada
Offline
Posted 7/14/17
The older I get the less interesting the idea of people going to mars seems. I find truth in the idea that people learn to appreciate more that which is close to home as they get older.
25678 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / Atlanta, GA, USA
Offline
Posted 7/14/17

gornotck wrote:

Our government dollars at work. Now it is up to Elon Muskratt and the private sector to put us back on track.


Elon's tech looks like Stone Age level stuff, to be honest.

Anyway, military should keep getting funding. At least they actually produce some new tech.
Banned
30256 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 7/14/17 , edited 7/14/17

uncletim wrote:

cut defense spending by 25% for one year and you can fully fund NASA for 20 years


And the department of defense, and contracts executed explicitly for the department of defense have been responsible for far, FAR more technological advancement in the last century than has NASA, so your argument falls apart. Like CDs? Laser technology, thanks DoD! Internet? Evolutionary development from DARPAnet, a DoD funded project for networking nuclear missile launch and airspace defense systems (and conceptually derived from the SAGE computer-controlled airspace defense network). Solid state electronics? DoD programs to develop impact-resistant processors for use on vehicles and missiles. GPS? DoD navigation and precision targeting requirements. Jet engines? Supersonic flight? Organophosphate insecticides? Rocket propulsion? Computers? Thermal imaging? All developments heavily funded by DoD dollars. The only reason we even *went* to space in the first place was because of the military implications of intercontinental missile delivery, untouchable (at the time) orbital reconnaissance assets, and global communication relay capability. Without DoD, there would have been no NASA. Oh, and NASA only existed because it inherited the role of NACA, which was a national board for military aircraft aerodynamic development.

But by all means, slash military budgets, because *science*.

You're just pulling your usual "look down your nose while you sneer at the stupid plebs, chastising everyone else while self-aggrandizing how much nobler of spirit and enlightened you are" act.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.