First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
Anyone here works for a game company or would like to work for one?
49939 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / F / New Jersey, USA
Offline
Posted 7/16/17 , edited 7/16/17
I was just wondering if anyone here works for a game company or would like to work for one. I only ask because I was watching the anime New Game and I felt like asking the question. I know that working for a video game company won't be as fun and glamorous as in the anime. So, do you work for a video game company or would like to work for one?


My Turn:

Personally, no. I wouldn't want to work for a video game company. It seems interesting and all but not really my cup of tea.


What about you?
Dragon
69453 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 7/16/17 , edited 7/16/17
Yup, for most of about 17 years now, with brief breaks for things like VR real world scan visualization. It's not terribly glamorous, mostly just long hours and annoying bugs and demo deadlines that mean redoing a bunch of work later.
49939 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / F / New Jersey, USA
Offline
Posted 7/16/17 , edited 7/16/17

MakotoKamui wrote:

Yup, for most of about 17 years now, with brief breaks for things like VR real world scan visualization. It's not terribly glamorous, mostly just long hours and annoying bugs and demo deadlines that mean redoing a bunch of work later.


That's pretty cool. One of the characters from the anime New Game stays the night at the job because she works long hours. Do you do that?
1568 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / Somewhere to my l...
Offline
Posted 7/16/17 , edited 7/16/17
Well I work for an eSports company that hosts tournaments for mobile games (with cash and in-game prizes). Does that count?

But if we're talking strictly working at the company that makes games, that thought has definitely crossed my mind at times. But considering all the bugs that pop up, the occasional crunch times and the hate emails from customers/players that the CS has to read through.. looks like working at a gaming company isn't all "get paid to play games" (except the QA staffers probably. They aren't there to just play, they gotta try to find where the game breaks and write a report on it)
Dragon
69453 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 7/16/17 , edited 7/16/17

qualeshia3 wrote:


MakotoKamui wrote:

Yup, for most of about 17 years now, with brief breaks for things like VR real world scan visualization. It's not terribly glamorous, mostly just long hours and annoying bugs and demo deadlines that mean redoing a bunch of work later.


That's pretty cool. One of the characters from the anime New Game stays the night at the job because she works long hours. Do you do that?


On occasion.. it was easier to stay rather than to go home, and we had a shower we could use on site, which was nice. Funnier though was when I was working with one of my company's developers in LA - I would spend the day and most of the night at the office in LA, burn a bunch of DVDs, then fly up to SF to hand them off to one of my coworkers before flying right back to LA to start the process again. Only sleep I got was on the plane for several weeks, but at the time flying the discs up was a speedier transfer than trying to upload the files online.
49939 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / F / New Jersey, USA
Offline
Posted 7/16/17 , edited 7/16/17

nxvb wrote:

Well I work for an eSports company that hosts tournaments for mobile games (with cash and in-game prizes). Does that count?

But if we're talking strictly working at the company that makes games, that thought has definitely crossed my mind at times. But considering all the bugs that pop up, the occasional crunch times and the hate emails from customers/players that the CS has to read through.. looks like working at a gaming company isn't all "get paid to play games" (except the QA staffers probably. They aren't there to just play, they gotta try to find where the game breaks and write a report on it)


Oh, that sounds tough.
1568 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / Somewhere to my l...
Offline
Posted 7/16/17 , edited 7/16/17

qualeshia3 wrote:


nxvb wrote:

Well I work for an eSports company that hosts tournaments for mobile games (with cash and in-game prizes). Does that count?


Do you do anything? Do you like help make anything?


I'm currently a "tournament moderator", what I do is, when the admins write up a tournament, my fellow mods and I go into the tournament details, make sure everything looks clear and there's no loopholes in the rules. Then once the tournament starts, we spectate the tournament matches and make sure no one is cheating. And if they are, disqualify the player and/or the team (depending on severity), if we need to, record the cheater and alert the game company's banhammer mods.
Cheaters aside, after every match, we record match results, check players' game screenshots after the match ends to make sure no hacks snuck through our spectating.

We also train the new mods, and occasionally in the downtime, when teams aren't screaming for us to drop what we are doing and host their match, we run a "modship fight club" just for fun
49939 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / F / New Jersey, USA
Offline
Posted 7/16/17 , edited 7/16/17

MakotoKamui wrote:
On occasion.. it was easier to stay rather than to go home, and we had a shower we could use on site, which was nice. Funnier though was when I was working with one of my company's developers in LA - I would spend the day and most of the night at the office in LA, burn a bunch of DVDs, then fly up to SF to hand them off to one of my coworkers before flying right back to LA to start the process again. Only sleep I got was on the plane for several weeks, but at the time flying the discs up was a speedier transfer than trying to upload the files online.


Oh wow, that must be rough. It's the place has showers for you guys. I mean that is crazy but it happens.
49939 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / F / New Jersey, USA
Offline
Posted 7/16/17 , edited 7/16/17

nxvb wrote:


qualeshia3 wrote:


nxvb wrote:

Well I work for an eSports company that hosts tournaments for mobile games (with cash and in-game prizes). Does that count?


Do you do anything? Do you like help make anything?


I'm currently a "tournament moderator", what I do is, when the admins write up a tournament, my fellow mods and I go into the tournament details, make sure everything looks clear and there's no loopholes in the rules. Then once the tournament starts, we spectate the tournament matches and make sure no one is cheating. And if they are, disqualify the player and/or the team (depending on severity), if we need to, record the cheater and alert the game company's banhammer mods.

That aside, after every match, we record match results, check players' game screenshots after the match ends to make sure no hacks snuck through our spectating.


Sounds cool and exhausting.
1568 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / Somewhere to my l...
Offline
Posted 7/16/17 , edited 7/16/17

qualeshia3 wrote:


nxvb wrote:


qualeshia3 wrote:


nxvb wrote:

Well I work for an eSports company that hosts tournaments for mobile games (with cash and in-game prizes). Does that count?


Do you do anything? Do you like help make anything?


I'm currently a "tournament moderator", what I do is, when the admins write up a tournament, my fellow mods and I go into the tournament details, make sure everything looks clear and there's no loopholes in the rules. Then once the tournament starts, we spectate the tournament matches and make sure no one is cheating. And if they are, disqualify the player and/or the team (depending on severity), if we need to, record the cheater and alert the game company's banhammer mods.

That aside, after every match, we record match results, check players' game screenshots after the match ends to make sure no hacks snuck through our spectating.


Sounds cool and exhausting.


Exausting yes, but fun nonetheless
49939 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / F / New Jersey, USA
Offline
Posted 7/16/17 , edited 7/16/17

nxvb wrote:

Exausting yes, but fun nonetheless


Well, I'm glad you enjoy it.
8637 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / a pop tart
Offline
Posted 7/16/17 , edited 7/16/17
no. because computers are spooky.
1888 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
38 / M / Shanghai China
Offline
Posted 7/16/17 , edited 7/16/17
I have in the usa at Nintendo and Microsoft in Redmond Washington and its exhausting its not an easy job though I was at least a level 2 or 3 tester so that's probably why. I moved on to a support engineer at Microsoft shanghai and its way less exhausting than testing even though it takes me 3 hours to get to work its still less exhausting than testing. Most new testers don't make it past the first 6 months because its not as easy as you think.
runec 
40964 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 7/16/17 , edited 7/16/17
Depends on who owns it and whether or not its beholden to a publisher.

Its fun and rewarding when working in a smaller independent company.

But if you're working in one of the big houses chances are your job is something to do with production ( art assets, etc ) and you're probably a contractor. Slaving away as a cog in the production factory for 6-12 months till they don't need you anymore. The usage of contractors is getting more and more common as the sheer size of triple A titles increases. No one can afford to keep on the size of staff you need for the production phase of a major title. So they staff up in production than purge afterwards. Or they offshore most of the production to begin with to studios in Asia.

Depending on the company and culture it can be pretty brutal and thankless.

49939 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / F / New Jersey, USA
Offline
Posted 7/16/17 , edited 7/16/17

RyukoKuroki wrote:

no. because computers are spooky.


What?
First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.