First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  Next  Last
Post Reply Police should not fire unless fired upon
2009 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / M / Valhalla
Offline
Posted 7/17/17 , edited 7/18/17

moonhawk81 wrote:


MysticGon wrote:

https://www.rt.com/usa/396510-woman-killed-police-shooting/

Just another in a long line of senseless killings. Police officers know what they are signing up for when they take the job. The general public never expect to get gunned down by those who are sworn to protect and serve.

I feel police officers and the frightened, trigger happy lot among them must not discharge their weapons until fired upon. And since cops have proven to be as dishonest and the average person caught doing something wrong cameras should be rolling at all times. They have the right to take lives so they should be held at the highest of standards.

No preemptive strikes, no "but they had a knife or they were reaching ". Police officers that treat life like fodder should be prevented from using lethal force at every turn with safeguards to protect the public.


Are you a police officer? If not, then I respectfully submit that you are ignorant of certain important aspects, responsibilities, and liabilities of the job. To wit, you are not in a position to issue a blanket statement about the profession. Do you disagree with this individual officer's actions? Obviously. But to extrapolate suppositions about all police officers from that is just plain wrong. I'm proud of the job I do and the profession in which I serve. And I do NOT think that I must allow someone to shoot me first before I can [re]act. If I allow myself to be hurt, then whom can I protect?

Very rarely have I bothered to call a Forums comment "offensive" to me. I shall make exception for this one.


I imagine this was you after reading his post:

runec 
39520 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 7/17/17 , edited 7/18/17

ronin99 wrote:
I imagine this was you after reading his post:


Given the context of the story that gif is 100 times worse than it would normally be.
140 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M
Offline
Posted 7/17/17 , edited 7/18/17

PandaSamaBoi wrote:


Yokoshima333 wrote:


PandaSamaBoi wrote:


There is racial tension between the AA community and the police, this is blatantly obvious


And do you think that is somehow the fault of the police?


They don't help when several officers are all on one guy, and either tase or beat the crap out of him when it doesn't look like he's struggling. But idk how to fix it, I'll end this convo here.


Beating them is something that is not common, which is why "tazing" is. Now if they followed orders I guarantee it would cut down on issues by at least 90%.
7411 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
35 / Pacific North West
Offline
Posted 7/17/17 , edited 7/19/17

runec wrote:


Er, what? Your facts essentially say that people tend to shoot people who are in range of their guns.

Racial tensions in America, especially between police and communities, didn't just suddenly start in 2013.



lol "your facts" well whether you think they are "alternative facts" is certainly your choice, but thats another matter altogether. As to people shooting people.. The specific link your referring to i believe did not specifically state shoot. I believe the term was murder whether it be via gun, knife, ect. but that's semantics isn't it? No people do not shoot people who are in effective firing range of them. The link simply suggest you are far more likely to be murdered by someone of your own race (possibly even creed) because different races have the tendency to group together. Since it is uncommon for people to be murdered for random reasons, this means your murderer is likely someone you live/work near. Now I am sure if you lived in a metro area these statistics would likely skew a lot more then if you went to a far more rural area. To me the sad part is this may be subconscious but a lot of people racially group. Look at any metropolitan area and you can find examples racial grouping, Los Angeles being a great example(you can find an area primarily asian, russian, ect). So it would seem "tribal grouping" still prevails in today's enlightened society

As to "racial tensions" other then what the media keeps reporting without example or proof can you provide me an example for widespread racial tension? Hmm, let me be more specific, Can you provide me with an example of widespread racial tension that does not involve Al Sharpton or is pre 2013? Perhaps its ignorance but as someone who lives in a metropolitan area of liberal thinkers I have found most of the claims of racial tension to be restricted to certain groups.
runec 
39520 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 7/17/17 , edited 7/18/17

DevinKuska wrote:
lol "your facts" well whether you think they are "alternative facts" is certainly your choice, but thats another matter altogether. As to people shooting people.. The specific link your referring to i believe did not specifically state shoot. I believe the term was murder whether it be via gun, knife, ect. but that's semantics isn't it?


I didn't say that. I said the information you're presenting doesn't support your conclusion. The only thing your information says is that you're more likely to be murdered by people in the same area as you. That's kind of a "well, durr" bit of information. You set up a strawman ( that tensions between police and communities are based on a belief that police are the greatest thread ) and you knocked it down with unrelated information.

You likewise presented an argument that the cart became before the horse. That tensions are because of BLM, instead of BLM being the result of tensions.



DevinKuska wrote:
As to "racial tensions" other then what the media keeps reporting without example or proof can you provide me an example for widespread racial tension? Hmm, let me be more specific, Can you provide me with an example of widespread racial tension that does not involve Al Sharpton or is pre 2013?


The bulk of American History?
7411 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
35 / Pacific North West
Offline
Posted 7/17/17 , edited 7/19/17

runec wrote:

I didn't say that. I said the information you're presenting doesn't support your conclusion. The only thing your information says is that you're more likely to be murdered by people in the same area as you. That's kind of a "well, durr" bit of information. You set up a strawman ( that tensions between police and communities are based on a belief that police are the greatest thread ) and you knocked it down with unrelated information.


You likewise presented an argument that the cart became before the horse. That tensions are because of BLM, instead of BLM being the result of tensions.


The bulk of American History?


The information I supplied does support my conclusion. My conclusion that was that police are not the greatest threat or even the leading unnatural cause of death for the "african american" community. Not sure what other conclusion you eluding to. The variety of information I presented was to offer a variety of sources and not like some only quote an MSNBC or Infowars link. The media in general seems to make every murder that happens across nationality or 'color" lines into some huge racial issue when in the first place(as the links suggested) they are the minority to begin with. That aside the remaining ones being motivated by race become an even smaller percentage then that. So making blanket statements like police are racist and are killing "blacks" left and right is not only absurd but there is not one iota of proof to suggest it. Well unless you are just taking the word of certain media outlets who say its true but provide no factual evidence. I take offense to the statement I set up a strawman. My point was stated and I provided evidence to back it up. What you choose to see in it cannot be helped. Though from past forum interactions with you, it would seem you have a tendency to disagree with people just to disagree. So perhaps I shouldn't let it bother me.

I am not sure your aware of this but the Media likes to pick and choose what it reports. I personally think most of the "tension" you speak of is the media only choosing to report certain instances that support their own agenda. I would venture to the minority of murders against "white" people by other nationalities don't get reported by the media as racially motivated with a few notable exceptions of course. Why do you think that is? Because its simply not convenient to have news that counters your organizations agenda be it political, social, ect.


lol I'm not even going to dignify this with a response. We will have to agree to disagree.
runec 
39520 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 7/17/17 , edited 7/18/17

DevinKuska wrote:
The information I supplied does support my conclusion. My conclusion that was that police are not the greatest threat or even the leading unnatural cause of death for the "african american" community.


Which is, as I pointed out, a strawman argument. Where is that argument being made? Its not one of the principles of the main movement of BLM. It's not one of the reforms put forth by BLM. Furthermore, saying that most people kill people of the same race is essentially meaningless. Most people are not police officers charged with protecting and serving their communities. You set up an argument unrelated to the broader point, then you knocked it down. That's a strawman.

Also, that you now must fall back on Fake News(tm) and ad homin doesn't exactly invoke "dignified" in your response.



20505 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 7/17/17 , edited 7/18/17
Police should not fire unless fired upon

That's a great recipe for dead cops.
4456 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 7/17/17 , edited 7/18/17
this is funny

it's hilarious to see how these so call "activists" will respond in similar situations-- and how quicker they are at firing at the suspect.

Activist critical of police undergoes use of force scenarios
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfi3Ndh3n-g

This same guy was recently accused of this from the victim's family member. These devil's advocates.

Controversial civil rights advocate accused charging cash for justice
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YItbt31SBcE

I'm not a cop but if you pull a gun and point at me I'll shoot you myself--- i'll not wait until "fired upon" --

keyboard waaarriors the experts in all fields
7411 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
35 / Pacific North West
Offline
Posted 7/17/17 , edited 7/19/17

runec wrote:


DevinKuska wrote:
The information I supplied does support my conclusion. My conclusion that was that police are not the greatest threat or even the leading unnatural cause of death for the "african american" community.


Which is, as I pointed out, a strawman argument. Where is that argument being made? Its not one of the principles of the main movement of BLM. It's not one of the reforms put forth by BLM. Furthermore, saying that most people kill people of the same race is essentially meaningless. Most people are not police officers charged with protecting and serving their communities. You set up an argument unrelated to the broader point, then you knocked it down. That's a strawman.


http://blacklivesmatter.com/about/

Actually it is, its even in their mission statement. Unless al the sites I have looked up are false(not impossible to be sure). My bringing up race vs race murder rates is because in the media I constantly see people claiming to be with BLM stating the "Black Men" fear police because somehow the police are out to kill "black" people. The links I provided show this is probably they least of their worries. As far as police protecting and serving... I dont know. Personally i feel that motto is misleading. From the 4 police officers I know (1 state trooper, 1 sheriff deputy, 2 city police) it should more be "To enforce" rather then "Serve and protect" as far as how police agencies are structured and ran.
28830 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M
Offline
Posted 7/17/17 , edited 7/18/17

AnimeAddictANN69 wrote:

:rolleyes: this is funny

it's hilarious to see how these so call "activists" will respond in similar situations-- and how quicker they are at firing at the suspect.

Activist critical of police undergoes use of force scenarios
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfi3Ndh3n-g

This same guy was recently accused of this from the victim's family member. These devil's advocates.

Controversial civil rights advocate accused charging cash for justice
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YItbt31SBcE

I'm not a cop but if you pull a gun and point at me I'll shoot you myself--- i'll not wait until "fired upon" --

keyboard waaarriors the experts in all fields


Just an expert in wanting to live. Also with cameras you can see who shot first and if the cop does expire in the line of duty, (something they should recognize as a distinct possibility) at least you'll have the murderer on tape and you can arrest them afterwards. It's better than dead civilians at the hands of trigger happy cops, at any rate.
Posted 7/17/17 , edited 7/18/17
Curious why the body cams where not turned on? anyhow i take these cop and crime on a case basic since
all these are different still sad someone lost their life.
23182 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
The White House
Offline
Posted 7/17/17 , edited 7/18/17
They should only shoot when someone is actually pointing a gun at them. Need to have them carry swords with them.

Actual police training to show you what they have to be trained against: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9igSoJHEdUo

Really if we just held police accountable for completely stupid actions then they wouldn't be as trigger happy. However our current training emphasises overwhelming force vs defusing the situation.
51656 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
36 / M
Offline
Posted 7/17/17 , edited 7/18/17

Nasigno wrote:


ran76 wrote:


Shipwright wrote:

I disagree. Police officers should be able to defend themselves when they are threatened rather than waiting to get shot and possibly killed. I really dislike when people take a headline about an instance in which a cop appears to be in the wrong and use it as justification to label all cops as unprofessional and "trigger happy." Police officers aren't fodder either, you know. They're human beings.


To use another incident as an example: how is shooting someone in the back that's trying to run a danger to the officer again? Did the suspect lay a silent but deadly?


Why you running? We could argue this all day and say Person A was armed, dangerous and had 330 deaths under his belt, or Person B was the second coming of Jesus, either way why you running from police? What are they willing to do to get away? How many people will they hurt to get away?

It's all fun and games till your loved one gets hurt cause police chasing someone "let them get away" cause y'know its bad to shoot fleeing suspects who more than likely are not in the right state of mind.

Likewise in some of those "incidents" the person prior attacked the officer then fled, that presents they are violent and willing to do whatever to get away. If they are willing to attack police, they are willing to attack other -unarmed- people. You do not want to let someone like that get away.


Bad argument. SCotUS has already ruled that police do NOT have the right to use deadly force to stop a fleeing suspect that doesn't pose an immediate threat. Shooting a suspect because he is running is Illegal. Note the important part, Suspect. Police are not judge + jury + executioner. They are supposed to apprehend suspects and not execute them. A jury is required to declare guilt. The whole, "Well if he wasn't guilty why was he running?" argument is less than a false equivalence, it's borderline seditious.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tennessee_v._Garner
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.