First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next  Last
Post Reply what is considered racist in your culture?
1877 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / M / Valhalla
Offline
Posted 7/20/17

godsi wrote:


ronin99 wrote:


godsi wrote:

Also racist jokes were never funny

When I was younger I nervously laughed along so I wouldn't be called uncool or a loser. I don't do that anymore I just don't laugh

Today people will get mad at you if actually find offensive jokes offensive. Saying offensive things or using slurs for ANY race isn't funny and you should find some better joke ya nerds!!


How would you define a "racist or "offensive" joke?


good question!

My definition of a "racist" joke is when the punchline of a joke is a negative stereotype about someone's race, or when someone's race is used to make fun of their work or character when race is irrelevant. Like "watch your belongings around X becuase he's black lololol" and "Your dumb even though your asian"

My definition of an "offensive" joke is when someone uses a generally accepted "horrible" thing to make a joke. Like jokes about rape or pedophilia or genocide. Its just not funny in my opinion...

I hope this makes sense?


Yeah,it makes sense.I do agree that the race jokes in your first paragraph aren't funny.Although I see where your coming from with your second paragraph,I disagree.The line for how far humor can go is different for every person, but I personally don't see jokes about pedophilia or genocide as crossing the line,though it is pushing the envelope for sure.
godsi 
22 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 7/20/17

ronin99 wrote:


godsi wrote:


ronin99 wrote:


godsi wrote:

Also racist jokes were never funny

When I was younger I nervously laughed along so I wouldn't be called uncool or a loser. I don't do that anymore I just don't laugh

Today people will get mad at you if actually find offensive jokes offensive. Saying offensive things or using slurs for ANY race isn't funny and you should find some better joke ya nerds!!


How would you define a "racist or "offensive" joke?


good question!

My definition of a "racist" joke is when the punchline of a joke is a negative stereotype about someone's race, or when someone's race is used to make fun of their work or character when race is irrelevant. Like "watch your belongings around X becuase he's black lololol" and "Your dumb even though your asian"

My definition of an "offensive" joke is when someone uses a generally accepted "horrible" thing to make a joke. Like jokes about rape or pedophilia or genocide. Its just not funny in my opinion...

I hope this makes sense?


Yeah,it makes sense.I do agree that the race jokes in your first paragraph aren't funny.Although I see where your coming from with your second paragraph,I disagree.The line for how far humor can go is different for every person, but I personally don't see jokes about pedophilia or genocide as crossing the line,though it is pushing the envelope for sure.


I get what you're saying, I can see how some people would think those kinds of jokes are acceptable. I guess it just depends on who you're telling the joke to, and how dark your sense of humor is!
runec 
36293 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 7/20/17 , edited 7/20/17

Amyas_Leigh wrote:
I wouldn't say it was mistaken, Cole sounds like an OG anti-globalist to me.


There was no such thing as globalism in the century he lived in and he said nothing about immigration or cultural purity. He was, effectively, an environmentalist that lamented about deforestation and the encroachment of industrialization on nature.

But hey, if you want to identify with a 19th century tree hugger that's actually a step up from your usual inspirations.







Posted 7/20/17

runec wrote:
There was no such thing as globalism in the century he lived in and he said nothing about immigration or cultural purity. He was, effectively, an environmentalist that lamented about deforestation and the encroachment of industrialization on nature.

But hey, if you want to identify with a 19th century tree hugger that's actually a step up from your usual inspirations.



I never said he did say anything about immigration or cultural purity though? I was talking about the fall of Rome. Also the set is more of a social/historical commentary. Just calling him a 'tree hugger' is a bit dishonest.
He would be anti globalist today, that's for sure. I don't think he'd like the idea of our government destroying natural resources to feed and clothe and house the world.


runec 
36293 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 7/20/17

Amyas_Leigh wrote:
I never said he did say anything about immigration or cultural purity though? I was talking about the fall of Rome. Also the set is more of a social/historical commentary. Just calling him a 'tree hugger' is a bit dishonest.
He would be anti globalist today, that's for sure. I don't think he'd like the idea of our government destroying natural resources to feed and clothe and house the world.


Dude, you specifically said "Yes because letting outgroups into your lands with open arms and allowing their culture and birth rates to eclipse the native population's has worked out well for civilizations.". Signed it with "historically speaking" and posted that image. The allusion to the fall of Rome likewise doesn't support your yammering. As even the very painting series you're referring to shows the fall of that empire in the wake of its own corruption and decadence. Nevermind that Rome didn't fall to immigration. It was rotting from within politically and economically.

If you're going to try and pin immigration as the cause you likewise need to acknowledge that Rome's treatment of immigrants was a cause.

As for tree hugging being dishonest. He was literally lamenting the destruction of the forests and landscapes by the railroad ( whom he referred to as copper hearted barbarians at that ). It was kind of the point of a number of his paintings. There's certainly more evidence for me casting him as an environmentalist then there is for you casting him as whatever it is you think globalism means today.



21561 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 7/20/17
Reality is racist, so saying fact about any race is considered racist. For example: Black people commit murder at many times the rate of white people.
Posted 7/20/17 , edited 7/23/17

runec wrote:
Dude, you specifically said "Yes because letting outgroups into your lands with open arms and allowing their culture and birth rates to eclipse the native population's has worked out well for civilizations.". Signed it with "historically speaking" and posted that image.



And? That doesn't look like me saying he said that.


The allusion to the fall of Rome likewise doesn't support your yammering. As even the very painting series you're referring to shows the fall of that empire in the wake of its own corruption and decadence. Nevermind that Rome didn't fall to immigration. It was rotting from within politically and economically.

Yes because the painting in the set that depicts foreign hordes sacking the Roman city doesn't exist.


Rome's reliance on foreigners in their military didn't help either. Corruption and decadence is pretty common today as well, wouldn't you say?


If you're going to try and pin immigration as the cause you likewise need to acknowledge that Rome's treatment of immigrants was a cause
.



>give them free land
>positions in leadership both in the military and governance
>welfare check man fails to deliver a few times
>kill him and destroy his country because you didn't get enough free shit
Its like pottery

"Immigration had nothing to do with the fall of the Roman empire"
632 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M
Offline
Posted 7/20/17
Roman empire it's emperor had lot of corruption at lest 6 people where the kind you may want to leave like Nero Claudius Caesar which everyone or most people know at lest he ruled by tyranny & extravagance as well killed his mother. as well a lot of people belive he started the Great Fire of Rome which other people say he didn't do that so for that part we won't know
runec 
36293 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 7/20/17 , edited 7/20/17

Amyas_Leigh wrote:
And? That doesn't look like me saying he said that.


"I wouldn't say it was mistaken, Cole sounds like an OG anti-globalist to me."



Amyas_Leigh wrote:
Yes because the painting in the set that depicts foreign hordes sacking the Roman city doesn't exist.


Yes, it does exist. What does that have to do with me saying that Rome didn't fall due to being outbred by immigrants as you implied?



Amyas_Leigh wrote:Rome's reliance on foreigners in their military didn't help either. Corruption and decadence is pretty common today as well, wouldn't you say?


Well, better get some eyes on the Goths then.



Amyas_Leigh wrote:




Amyas_Leigh wrote:
>give them free land
>positions in leadership both in the military and governance
>welfare check man fails to deliver a few times
>kill him and destroy his country because you didn't get enough free shit
Its like pottery

"Immigration had nothing to do with the fall of the Roman empire"


So, Rome successfully focused on integrating other cultures. But then they started treating them like shit therefore immigration bad because they didn't accept being treated like shit? That's some fine police work there, Lou.

I also like how you pulled that from an article that basically says the opposite of what you're trying to argue:

https://qz.com/677380/1700-years-ago-the-mismanagement-of-a-migrant-crisis-cost-rome-its-empire/

But yeah, it was totally the immigration and not the starving people and taking their children as slaves that did it.






21803 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / F
Offline
Posted 7/20/17

MrAnimeSK wrote:


Ryulightorb wrote:






I think people should be proud but taking excessive pride is just silly imo it's just a country but yeah opinions are fine i'm not against it or have any issues with it.

It's nothing like a swastika it's stupid people get hated on it :(


I meant "you're" btw before someone else points that out..

Yeah but i was talking about on Australia day more so. If you were acting like that everyday then that'd be over the top. I have no issue with having a flag up though.

Yeah i mean slight exaggeration but some people act as if its the same.

Cant lie i always feel happy when i see non whites get involved and proudly display the Aussie flag Something Asians would do but not Arabs and that.
I know Aboriginies dont like it. Which i can understand.


can u tell me what auusie culture is? plz don't take this the wrong way, im not tryin to be rude
Posted 7/20/17
what is considered racist in your culture?

-being white
-having a accent

now more harassment- wearing your Giants clothing to a Dodger game like wtf difference
does this make i will choose what team to support!

^ All the above i have encountered.

11109 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Australia
Offline
Posted 7/21/17 , edited 7/21/17

matt22122 wrote:



While I'm uncertain of the legality of such actions, it is possible to submit a blank ballot paper, since voting is anonymous.


I did not vote in the Federal election one time and i paid the fine.
Once in a state election i did not vote and they sent me a big fine , i wrote them a hand written letter basically telling them to fuck off and never heard back lol.

But you're correct. You can go there, sign your name, and put in a blank vote slip or draw a big cock on there or something if you like.


godsi wrote:

hmm well I'm a black american and I've dealt with racism but with mostly it's my peers asking uncomfortable questions because they're curious. Or making really rude assumptions >:[ I know they're not trying to be mean but it still makes me feel shy and insecure. And sometimes people will make racist jokes and I don't like to laugh along because I get embarrassed and kinda pissed. I try not to let it bother me but ugh.. y'know?

There are plenty of people where I live that are aggressively racist and they call me slurs and are generally RUDE but I ignore them and let karma take care of it.

I live in the southern U.S. where it's the worst!!


Must admit i always ask black people who start at my work if they like hip hop. is that racist? even though i ask everyone of every race that same question?


godsi wrote:

Also racist jokes were never funny

When I was younger I nervously laughed along so I wouldn't be called uncool or a loser. I don't do that anymore I just don't laugh

Today people will get mad at you if actually find offensive jokes offensive. Saying offensive things or using slurs for ANY race isn't funny and you should find some better joke ya nerds!!


I disagree. I miss the past simpler times where people had a sense of humor. I miss that so much, back when people could laugh at others but also at themselves.
I laugh at alot of racist jokes at work. And they come from people of all colours about people of all colours.


redokami wrote:



can u tell me what auusie culture is? plz don't take this the wrong way, im not tryin to be rude


Cricket, AFL (Australian football), drinking beer, having BBQ's, eating meat pies, hanging at the beach, being lazy, being laid back as fuck, it used to be having a sense of humor but those days are gone and Australia is tainted with the weirdo left SJW BS like most of the western world is, vegemite, Australia day, Anzac day, um did i say throwing a shrimp on the barbie and drinking beer already?
20883 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
36 / M / SoFlo
Offline
Posted 7/21/17

MrAnimeSK wrote:

Cricket, AFL (Australian football), drinking beer, having BBQ's, eating meat pies, hanging at the beach, being lazy, being laid back as fuck, it used to be having a sense of humor but those days are gone and Australia is tainted with the weirdo left SJW BS like most of the western world is, vegemite, Australia day, Anzac day, um did i say throwing a shrimp on the barbie and drinking beer already?


All of that sounds amazing.



I'm an a-hole... sorry
4142 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 7/21/17 , edited 7/21/17
pocket monsters ?


564 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
All of time / God
Offline
Posted 7/21/17

Kuschelpython wrote:

Nowadays, everything is considered racist. That's why I don't give a shit about buzzwords like that anymore.


no you are incapable of distinguishing actual racism and people just crying. and thats not a good thing, sir.

yeah words like that shouldnt't be thrown around, but we need to do a better job with calling out and identifying actual racism, instead of ignoring EVERYTHING because the word is overused. thats whats wrong with kids and young adults today
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.