First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next  Last
Post Reply Worst Character In Anime You Ever Seen Someone Deemed Their "Waifu" Or "Husbando"?
4126 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / North America
Offline
Posted 3/7/18 , edited 3/8/18
Sesshomaru from InuYasha, He is weaker and not nearly as strong as Inuyasha but some people worship him

And then there is an certain annoying blond haired blue eyed ninja(Kishimoto said that he felt glad that his character had blond hair and blue eyes ) ninja named naruto and his dark and edgy rival sasuke
runec 
41010 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 3/7/18 , edited 3/8/18

Yamstarch wrote:
Repost for posterity


Only clicked thread to make sure this was reposted for posterity.



dwilson2000 wrote:
First one who comes mind is this disgusting creature:


May as well fold Shakugan no Shana into that as its essentially the same character and voice actress. Hell, may as well fold half the female lead roles Rie Kugimiya has ever done into that as they are all essentially the same unbearable character.

28079 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / Prison
Offline
Posted 3/10/18 , edited 3/10/18

BlueOni wrote:


PeripheralVisionary wrote:

We all have our ideas of best girls and worst girls, best guys and worst guys, but have you ever come across a person who genuinely likes a terrible character, either through their story role, or any other reason?

Like, ridiculously bad.

Examples-

-Shou Tucker from Fullmetal Alchemist is freaking sexy.

-Happosai from Ranma is my husbando.

-The Witch of the Waste from Howl's Moving Castle is gorgeous and I want to marry her


Absolutely the worst. It also has to be genuine, not any attempt to troll another.


I don't know why, but I've always really liked Dorothy Catalonia (Gundam Wing). She's terrible, taking out her trauma on everyone around her and using her vast wealth, resources, and influence in all the worst ways possible, but there's some sort of inexplicable appeal she has. So see? Sometimes even the fans don't know why.

Must be the eyebrows. Or maybe her golden limousine.


I question the sincerity of your affection towards her.

I had many discussions with many people on whether or not love is something that can be "reasoned" out. For example, many of my confessions are well received because like any master thesis, any doctoral dissertations, and any essay arguing for a view or its solution, it is best supported by a body of facts, reasons we love such a person.

Perhaps the reasoning you have is more tied into a masochistic fantasy, or perhaps you'd like to be much like her one day in terms of power. Or maybe she is just that charismatic and beautiful....Just like you imouto.
28079 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / Prison
Offline
Posted 3/10/18 , edited 3/10/18

xxJing wrote:


aidenraine wrote:


rcsatcrunchyroll wrote:
*looks left, looks right*

No other Gundam fans here yet, so it is my duty to mention Fllay Allster from Gundam Seed.

oh god... why would anyone want to claim that manipulative bitch for a waifu.


I'm probably going to be one of the only people to say this, but I actually like Flay alot. She is responsible for a lot of good Gundam Seed drama moments. The way she goes about manipulating Kira was just so enjoyable. She also gets quite a bit of good character development in my opinion.

Over all to me Gundam Seed was just a fun series because it was so chaotic, and Flay was one of the masterminds behind that. Destiny unfortunately was too polarizing, the lines between Good and Evil were way too well defined and we ended up with Shinn as Satan and Kira as Jesus, it was quite annoying to tell you the truth. Especially since Kira was quite a good protagonist in Seed (partially thanks to Flay) while in Destiny he became infallible.


Hmm, valid point, though this goes onto the notion of a "Good character, bad person", argument.

I would have imagined that for waifu status, there is only so much fantastical leeway a fictional character may have before coming despised. Then again, people like Esdese from Akame Ga Kill! are horrible individuals who just happen to appeal to our sexual perversions.


On a tangent, many people believe my hatred of characters or intolerance of their immorality to be a complaint against the show. No, I can hate someone for who they are, but accept or even enjoy their role in the narrative.
27329 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
57 / M /
Offline
Posted 3/10/18 , edited 3/10/18
I've said it many times and in many places that I don't understand the hate for Kirino. Everybody hates how she treats her brother, but WHO made her that way? Why it was Kyosuke himself. And Kyosuke is so weak willed that a single comment by Manami changed is entire personality to the worse. So let us see: he rejected Kirino completely leaving her sad and lonely. He told her she can hang with him if she can keep up so she becomes a runner and still is rejected. so yeah; stop looking at her from the perpetrators POV and look at her from the victims POV.

I also like Umaru. let's face it..we all wear different masks depending on where and whom we are with. But she does care deeply about her friends and does love her brother. But Ebina is the best girl in the series.
28079 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / Prison
Offline
Posted 3/10/18 , edited 3/10/18

Gafennec wrote:

I've said it many times and in many places that I don't understand the hate for Kirino. Everybody hates how she treats her brother, but WHO made her that way? Why it was Kyosuke himself. And Kyosuke is so weak willed that a single comment by Manami changed is entire personality to the worse. So let us see: he rejected Kirino completely leaving her sad and lonely. He told her she can hang with him if she can keep up so she becomes a runner and still is rejected. so yeah; stop looking at her from the perpetrators POV and look at her from the victims POV.

I also like Umaru. let's face it..we all wear different masks depending on where and whom we are with. But she does care deeply about her friends and does love her brother. But Ebina is the best girl in the series.


I think Auroraloose brought up an earlier point I haven't seen resolved in Season 1, but possibly in Season 2.

Is Umaru actually "friends" with Tachibana, Ebina, or Kirie? Many gesture her facade of perfection to be what society wants her to be, not of what she personally desires, and it on these laurels by which her friendly rivalry with Tachibana is formed, and especially Kirie. Though love is what makes it worst. Love is a feeling, but to show it an act. I met many people whose families or lovers did have affection for them, but their way of showing it was too dysfunctional for anything to work.

I know from personal experience that someone can sincerely love you, but that doesn't mean they will love you well.

To which yes, Umaru is a brat despite being 16 years old. To which I argue, this is Tahei's fault. (Who is my actual reasoning to hating the series. I don't tolerate bad parenting, even from an older brother. It is obnoxious to watch, simply.) Simply put, the two of them ruined anime for me in tandem.

Kirino seems oddly spiteful, and chose her own path. No one can change one's reaction but one themself, and she chose being a prick. You could say she was a child at the time, but so was Kyosuke at that age when that comment by Manami changed his entire life. This isn't to say I find her unbearable. I found the drama to be appropriate till came Season 2 with the yelling match between Kuroneko and Kirino. I just think Kirino, by nature, needs to accept responsibility, what she can and cannot change.
83279 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
55
Offline
Posted 3/10/18 , edited 3/10/18

djason1988 wrote:

Huh? People like Aqua? She's clearly a joke character with 0 romantic chemistry with kazuma, and really 0 redeeming traits. She's cute, I guess that counts as one, but falls short of Darkness (bombshell onee-san type) or Megumin (quirky loli type). She's the Boke of the series. (And, light spoiler for those who haven't read the novels, at least up to volume 11 there's still 0 chemistry between her and kazuya. So don't get your hopes up if you're an Aqua shipper.)


You've managed to sum up why I like Aqua right there. She's cute, funny and has no romantic interest in Kazuma. She's popular with children too which I always think says something in favour of a character.

On topic, maybe Char Aznable from Gundam? He's good-looking, charismatic and an interesting character, but a seriously messed-up human being.

On the other hand, people should be free to choose whoever they want as a husbando / waifu, it's just fantasy. Too old for that kind of thing myself.
xxJing 
42266 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / M / Duckburg
Offline
Posted 3/10/18 , edited 3/10/18

PeripheralVisionary wrote:


xxJing wrote:


aidenraine wrote:


rcsatcrunchyroll wrote:
*looks left, looks right*

No other Gundam fans here yet, so it is my duty to mention Fllay Allster from Gundam Seed.

oh god... why would anyone want to claim that manipulative bitch for a waifu.


I'm probably going to be one of the only people to say this, but I actually like Flay alot. She is responsible for a lot of good Gundam Seed drama moments. The way she goes about manipulating Kira was just so enjoyable. She also gets quite a bit of good character development in my opinion.

Over all to me Gundam Seed was just a fun series because it was so chaotic, and Flay was one of the masterminds behind that. Destiny unfortunately was too polarizing, the lines between Good and Evil were way too well defined and we ended up with Shinn as Satan and Kira as Jesus, it was quite annoying to tell you the truth. Especially since Kira was quite a good protagonist in Seed (partially thanks to Flay) while in Destiny he became infallible.


Hmm, valid point, though this goes onto the notion of a "Good character, bad person", argument.

I would have imagined that for waifu status, there is only so much fantastical leeway a fictional character may have before coming despised. Then again, people like Esdese from Akame Ga Kill! are horrible individuals who just happen to appeal to our sexual perversions.


On a tangent, many people believe my hatred of characters or intolerance of their immorality to be a complaint against the show. No, I can hate someone for who they are, but accept or even enjoy their role in the narrative.


Flay was a complex character though. She hated coordinators because they killed her parents, so she was kind of justified in that. It did evolve into xenophobia though. Because when she found out Kira was a coordinator, even though he was trying his hardest to protect everyone, she started to hate him too. She initially started to go out with Kira because she planned to make him kill other coordinators until he died. She knew that humans could never compete with coordinators so this was the only way she could think of getting revenge for her parents.

She did eventually fall in love with Kira and at the end turned over a new leaf, however that's when they decided to kill her off because if she reconciled with Kira, then there would be no Kira x Lacus. Though honestly, Lacus was way too saintly and infallible too, like Kira became in the Seed Destiny. The series was good when it was in shades of gray, but it very quickly transitioned to black and white.

So I unironically like Flay, I think she was very human. She wasn't even really evil, she was just scarred and confused. In comparison to her, everyone else felt like an idealized caricature.
28079 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / Prison
Offline
Posted 3/10/18 , edited 3/10/18

xxJing wrote:


PeripheralVisionary wrote:


xxJing wrote:


aidenraine wrote:


rcsatcrunchyroll wrote:
*looks left, looks right*

No other Gundam fans here yet, so it is my duty to mention Fllay Allster from Gundam Seed.

oh god... why would anyone want to claim that manipulative bitch for a waifu.


I'm probably going to be one of the only people to say this, but I actually like Flay alot. She is responsible for a lot of good Gundam Seed drama moments. The way she goes about manipulating Kira was just so enjoyable. She also gets quite a bit of good character development in my opinion.

Over all to me Gundam Seed was just a fun series because it was so chaotic, and Flay was one of the masterminds behind that. Destiny unfortunately was too polarizing, the lines between Good and Evil were way too well defined and we ended up with Shinn as Satan and Kira as Jesus, it was quite annoying to tell you the truth. Especially since Kira was quite a good protagonist in Seed (partially thanks to Flay) while in Destiny he became infallible.


Hmm, valid point, though this goes onto the notion of a "Good character, bad person", argument.

I would have imagined that for waifu status, there is only so much fantastical leeway a fictional character may have before coming despised. Then again, people like Esdese from Akame Ga Kill! are horrible individuals who just happen to appeal to our sexual perversions.


On a tangent, many people believe my hatred of characters or intolerance of their immorality to be a complaint against the show. No, I can hate someone for who they are, but accept or even enjoy their role in the narrative.


Flay was a complex character though. She hated coordinators because they killed her parents, so she was kind of justified in that. It did evolve into xenophobia though. Because when she found out Kira was a coordinator, even though he was trying his hardest to protect everyone, she started to hate him too. She initially started to go out with Kira because she planned to make him kill other coordinators until he died. She knew that humans could never compete with coordinators so this was the only way she could think of getting revenge for her parents.

She did eventually fall in love with Kira and at the end turned over a new leaf, however that's when they decided to kill her off because if she reconciled with Kira, then there would be no Kira x Lacus. Though honestly, Lacus was way too saintly and infallible too, like Kira became in the Seed Destiny. The series was good when it was in shades of gray, but it very quickly transitioned to black and white.

So I unironically like Flay, I think she was very human. She wasn't even really evil, she was just scarred and confused. In comparison to her, everyone else felt like an idealized caricature.


Exactly what I meant by character. She served her role well, so I can understand where you came from. She is a good character for her service in the story, but not a person we'd wish to know, to which the latter seems more fitting for "waifu" status.

The same reason why one can praise Griffith as a complex villain, but deem his actions immoral. Of course, I included Esdeath because she is by all accounts a horrific person, but who plays to our sexual perversions, so I guess she is in a waifu category all her own.
38415 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F
Offline
Posted 3/10/18 , edited 3/10/18

PeripheralVisionary wrote:

I question the sincerity of your affection towards her.

I had many discussions with many people on whether or not love is something that can be "reasoned" out. For example, many of my confessions are well received because like any master thesis, any doctoral dissertations, and any essay arguing for a view or its solution, it is best supported by a body of facts, reasons we love such a person.

Perhaps the reasoning you have is more tied into a masochistic fantasy, or perhaps you'd like to be much like her one day in terms of power. Or maybe she is just that charismatic and beautiful....Just like you imouto.


Aw, you flatterer.

I've given it some more thought, and I think I've made sense of what I like so much about Dorothy.

Gundam Wing is no different than most other entries in the franchise in that its core message is that war is a terrible exercise that humanity should ultimately abandon for the sake of everyone's mutual benefit. To that end Dorothy plays a role as the primary representative of the military-industrial complex in our little drama, driven by misanthropy and empowered with a greater share of wealth and influence every time a geopolitical fight breaks out. She gleefully promotes warfare as much as she can, reveling in the act of destruction while dissociating herself from the consequences of her actions (which she's experienced firsthand and suffers intense trauma from) by focusing exclusively on the bravery of fallen combatants. Her character arc, therefore, is focused upon pecking away at her ability to dissociate herself from what she's been doing and to get her to see her enterprise as the true source of her misery. It's not really that I merely find her outlook and behaviour distasteful, it's that the audience is supposed to take them as such. That's how she's presented, unfair strawman or not.

The thing that makes Dorothy enjoyable for me, then, has everything to do with her personality. Dorothy may be a warmonger who uses her vast wealth, resources, and influence in terrible ways for terrible reasons, but she's Relena's foil for the better in that she's much more driven and goal oriented. Agreeable though her outlook was, where Relena was content to entertain the bored daughters of billionaires and diplomats with her musings on mutual cooperation from the safety of her tiny kingdom's boundaries Dorothy insisted on having a seat at the table of every smoke filled backroom in the world's top political institutions. Where Relena (deftly, admittedly) used opportunities to promote her ideals when they arose Dorothy proactively created those opportunities for herself. Indeed, Relena's crowning moment of awesome, impressive though it was by fundamentally changing the landscape of geopolitics for the remainder of the series, didn't arise until and never would have arisen unless politicking had been done on her behalf to give her that opportunity. Relena was passive with her passion, Dorothy was active with it. I think that's the draw.
28079 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / Prison
Offline
Posted 3/10/18 , edited 3/10/18

BlueOni wrote:


PeripheralVisionary wrote:

I question the sincerity of your affection towards her.

I had many discussions with many people on whether or not love is something that can be "reasoned" out. For example, many of my confessions are well received because like any master thesis, any doctoral dissertations, and any essay arguing for a view or its solution, it is best supported by a body of facts, reasons we love such a person.

Perhaps the reasoning you have is more tied into a masochistic fantasy, or perhaps you'd like to be much like her one day in terms of power. Or maybe she is just that charismatic and beautiful....Just like you imouto.


Aw, you flatterer.

I've given it some more thought, and I think I've made sense of what I like so much about Dorothy.

Gundam Wing is no different than most other entries in the franchise in that its core message is that war is a terrible exercise that humanity should ultimately abandon for the sake of everyone's mutual benefit. To that end Dorothy plays a role as the primary representative of the military-industrial complex in our little drama, driven by misanthropy and empowered with a greater share of wealth and influence every time a geopolitical fight breaks out. She gleefully promotes warfare as much as she can, reveling in the act of destruction while dissociating herself from the consequences of her actions (which she's experienced firsthand and suffers intense trauma from) by focusing exclusively on the bravery of fallen combatants. Her character arc, therefore, is focused upon pecking away at her ability to dissociate herself from what she's been doing and to get her to see her enterprise as the true source of her misery. It's not really that I merely find her outlook and behaviour distasteful, it's that the audience is supposed to take them as such. That's how she's presented, unfair strawman or not.

The thing that makes Dorothy enjoyable for me, then, has everything to do with her personality. Dorothy may be a warmonger who uses her vast wealth, resources, and influence in terrible ways for terrible reasons, but she's Relena's foil for the better in that she's much more driven and goal oriented. Agreeable though her outlook was, where Relena was content to entertain the bored daughters of billionaires and diplomats with her musings on mutual cooperation from the safety of her tiny kingdom's boundaries Dorothy insisted on having a seat at the table of every smoke filled backroom in the world's top political institutions. Where Relena (deftly, admittedly) used opportunities to promote her ideals when they arose Dorothy proactively created those opportunities for herself. Indeed, Relena's crowning moment of awesome, impressive though it was by fundamentally changing the landscape of geopolitics for the remainder of the series, didn't arise until and never would have arisen unless politicking had been done on her behalf to give her that opportunity. Relena was passive with her passion, Dorothy was active with it. I think that's the draw.


So essentially, Dorothy was driven to create her own opportunities, whereas Relena ideology, while most definitely that of the series aesop, was balanced out by her naivete thinking that her talks of peace would not fall on deft ears.

In a way, I can understand this. Dorothy is admirable in her personality, striving to have things done efficiently and at all, however disagreeable her goals are. She may have no semblance of a fundamentally "good" morality, but how she went achieving that showed she wasn't satisfied with just talk, relying on others to broker her deals for her. She knew what she wanted, and sought to achieve it in any possible manner.

She's a very empowered individual, representing the paragon of humanistic ideals by choosing her desire, and giving it her all, while not neglecting patience in lieu of immediate, short term results, utilizing a vast intellect and her resources at her disposal.

Did I get that right? Or essentially, a sort of Übermensch?
49947 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / F / New Jersey, USA
Offline
Posted 3/10/18 , edited 3/10/18

xxJing wrote:


Flay was a complex character though. She hated coordinators because they killed her parents, so she was kind of justified in that. It did evolve into xenophobia though. Because when she found out Kira was a coordinator, even though he was trying his hardest to protect everyone, she started to hate him too. She initially started to go out with Kira because she planned to make him kill other coordinators until he died. She knew that humans could never compete with coordinators so this was the only way she could think of getting revenge for her parents.

She did eventually fall in love with Kira and at the end turned over a new leaf, however that's when they decided to kill her off because if she reconciled with Kira, then there would be no Kira x Lacus. Though honestly, Lacus was way too saintly and infallible too, like Kira became in the Seed Destiny. The series was good when it was in shades of gray, but it very quickly transitioned to black and white.

So I unironically like Flay, I think she was very human. She wasn't even really evil, she was just scarred and confused. In comparison to her, everyone else felt like an idealized caricature.



I think people just don't want characters that feel too realistic and want something that is fake and unrealistic. Why choose Flay when you can choose Lacus.


Just my two sense.
144 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / F / Washington State
Offline
Posted 3/10/18 , edited 3/10/18
Sakura and Sasuke from Naruto
Asuna from SAO
Umaru from that one stupid anime

And last but not least...

TOMOKO from Watamote!
49947 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / F / New Jersey, USA
Offline
Posted 3/10/18 , edited 3/10/18

ChibiPalGal wrote:

Sakura and Sasuke from Naruto
Asuna from SAO
Umaru from that one stupid anime

And last but not least...

TOMOKO from Watamote!


Forgive me for assuming but I don't know why I thought you were going to put down Tuxedo Mask.
38415 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F
Offline
Posted 3/10/18 , edited 3/10/18

PeripheralVisionary wrote:

So essentially, Dorothy was driven to create her own opportunities, whereas Relena ideology, while most definitely that of the series aesop, was balanced out by her naivete thinking that her talks of peace would not fall on deft ears.

In a way, I can understand this. Dorothy is admirable in her personality, striving to have things done efficiently and at all, however disagreeable her goals are. She may have no semblance of a fundamentally "good" morality, but how she went achieving that showed she wasn't satisfied with just talk, relying on others to broker her deals for her. She knew what she wanted, and sought to achieve it in any possible manner.

She's a very empowered individual, representing the paragon of humanistic ideals by choosing her desire, and giving it her all, while not neglecting patience in lieu of immediate, short term results, utilizing a vast intellect and her resources at her disposal.

Did I get that right? Or essentially, a sort of Übermensch?


You're pretty much spot on, especially the part I've highlighted for emphasis. That's what I like so much condensed into a succinct summary.

Nicely done, oniichan.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.