First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
Post Reply The shift from millennials to Z.
Posted 7/20/17 , edited 7/20/17

mittemeyer wrote:

Cue joke about the statistician who drowned in a river that was only three feet deep, on average.


Aha, I was just thinking about that one.

Unfortunately, I wasn't actually able to find the study itself. Seems like the professor that has conducted the study has given interviews with various conservative blogs and website; yet, hasn't exactly published the study at all. He did have an opening keynote about his study at Keystone College but nobody recorded it. Most of the articles around this (including in the OP) are mostly opinion pieces that are interpreting the information obtained from Jeff Brauer (the professor of political science) in various ways Here are the generalizations that have been formed based off of his comments (from various sources/articles):

1. They're entitled.
2. They're spoiled.
3. They're cautious of "big" companies in terms of employment because they've seen their parents terminated after years of employment. (This generalization struck me as odd, as Millennials had the same "generalization" made of them back about a decade ago.)
4. They are more independent than Republican or Democrat. (They have liberal social views but conservative financial views)
5. They are less "star struck" by fame or celebrities because the Internet has made it easy to become famous (YouTube/Twitch/etc).
6. They were less inclined to vote for Trump because of his conservative views on security but disagreed with Clinton's liberal financial views.

The list goes on and on. Too many opinion pieces and interpretations. This is why I was hunting down the actual study to get a better understanding as to what Brauer meant. Then if you look at the hard right or hard left pages, the interpretations become almost insane. Everything from the conservatives saying that GenZ have "no morals or souls" and will "kill their grandparents or parents in a blink of an eye because of their liberal-moderate views" ... to liberal (hard-left) sites claiming that GenZ "are devoid of emotional intelligence" or that "they are narcissistic and mindless".

Reality is ... they're trying to sub-label a generation because there's such a political divide. I'd need to see the actual study to really see where the professor was coming from, his data set, and the questions he used. Polling in such a way can easily be manipulated when the questions themselves aren't fielded and moderated to provide an outcome that is less bias (or more objective).

---
Edit:

Personally, I think it makes more sense to have an independent mentality. There needs to be something better than a two party system in the US government. We're at a state where we've gone through several decades of both parties catastrophically failing us in some way or another. The Republicans have a reasonable idea when it comes to financials (to a degree) and the Democrats understand that social progress is required in the long-haul. Democrats spend too much money trying to speed up (or in some people's opinions: force) social progress and Republicans are too quick to let big companies go wild. There's an in-between somewhere there.

I think that's where a lot of the 'so-called' GenZ people are coming from. They know that the parties have failed them this far and are balanced between the two (or only ever so slightly more on one side of the spectrum than the other). The harder the divide between Republican/Democrats, the more likely "wild cards" like Trump will have a chance of prevailing in any office. I think it was Rujikin that once said: "I'd rather take a risk on an unknown than to repeat what is known and didn't work" (to paraphrase, sorry). This is the example of the mentality I'm trying to state is becoming more common in both Millenials and "GenZ".
1756 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25
Offline
Posted 7/20/17 , edited 7/20/17

Magical-Soul wrote:

What the hell? These comments weren't edited, but Crunchyroll insists that they are. lol

Well, either a mod is screwing with the topic or it's a glitch. I don't think redokami edited her post and I don't remember touching the OP.

EDIT: Confirmed bug.


no, it's not a bug

if you click the little thumbs up or thumbs down (at the bottom next to "Report to Moderator") on a post the site will say it's edited. this is the only function of the thumb buttons AFAIK... use them wisely


i'll demonstrate by giving every post in this thread a thumbs up

3496 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / F / Seoul, South Korea
Offline
Posted 7/20/17 , edited 7/20/17

highplaces wrote:


Magical-Soul wrote:

What the hell? These comments weren't edited, but Crunchyroll insists that they are. lol

Well, either a mod is screwing with the topic or it's a glitch. I don't think redokami edited her post and I don't remember touching the OP.

EDIT: Confirmed bug.


no, it's not a bug

if you click the little thumbs up or thumbs down (at the bottom next to "Report to Moderator") on a post the site will say it's edited. this is the only function of the thumb buttons AFAIK... use them wisely


i'll demonstrate by giving every post in this thread a thumbs up



Who uses the thumbs up and thumbs down? Lol

Is that what those buttons were? Huh, you don't even get a counter or anything to validate your post, so what does it even do other than edit a post.
Posted 7/20/17 , edited 7/20/17
The whole gen thing irks me it's just creating categories for people.
Posted 7/20/17

Magical-Soul wrote:


highplaces wrote:


Magical-Soul wrote:

What the hell? These comments weren't edited, but Crunchyroll insists that they are. lol

Well, either a mod is screwing with the topic or it's a glitch. I don't think redokami edited her post and I don't remember touching the OP.

EDIT: Confirmed bug.


no, it's not a bug

if you click the little thumbs up or thumbs down (at the bottom next to "Report to Moderator") on a post the site will say it's edited. this is the only function of the thumb buttons AFAIK... use them wisely


i'll demonstrate by giving every post in this thread a thumbs up



Who uses the thumbs up and thumbs down? Lol

Is that what those buttons were? Huh, you don't even get a counter or anything to validate your post, so what does it even do other than edit a post.


I just tried it, he's right.

gasp, you don't like to thumb people?
25748 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / Atlanta, GA, USA
Offline
Posted 7/20/17
Hmm, well, I'm trying to think of a big generational difference and I mostly think of superheroes and video games becoming more mainstream. I mean, just thinking of the big movies. Titanic, Dante's Peak, Jurassic Park... versus Transformers, The Avengers, Batman.

Who knows, but I wonder if it makes a difference in terms of really wanting to distinguish oneself.
Ejanss 
16829 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 7/20/17 , edited 7/20/17

Magical-Soul wrote:Did you....read the topic?


Well, yeah, that's...why I pointed out where and how wrong it was. Your question?



ninjitsuko wrote:
Unfortunately, I wasn't actually able to find the study itself. Seems like the professor that has conducted the study has given interviews with various conservative blogs and website; yet, hasn't exactly published the study at all. He did have an opening keynote about his study at Keystone College but nobody recorded it. Most of the articles around this (including in the OP) are mostly opinion pieces that are interpreting the information obtained from Jeff Brauer (the professor of political science) in various ways Here are the generalizations that have been formed based off of his comments (from various sources/articles):

1. They're entitled.
2. They're spoiled.
3. They're cautious of "big" companies in terms of employment because they've seen their parents terminated after years of employment. (This generalization struck me as odd, as Millennials had the same "generalization" made of them back about a decade ago.)
4. They are more independent than Republican or Democrat. (They have liberal social views but conservative financial views)
5. They are less "star struck" by fame or celebrities because the Internet has made it easy to become famous (YouTube/Twitch/etc).
6. They were less inclined to vote for Trump because of his conservative views on security but disagreed with Clinton's liberal financial views.


Some of us Older Folk--yeah, your parent's generation that watched weekly sitcoms on TV with commercials, before the Internet was invented and you could binge it all --remember going through the EXACT SAME thing when marketing, politics and social analysis tried to come up with profitable crackpot theories about What Yuppies Do.

Remember those? They were supposed to be younger, more affluent, more interested in baby-boom lore from the 60's and 70's, and more ready to pursue stable family units and buying long-term family homes. They gravitated to doing things on the Internet, which gave them more part-time freedom in their upper-middle-class white-collar jobs, and that was a new buying power that was shaping commerce, the media and politics in the new younger energy of the Bill Clinton administration, and its overturning the 50's-conservative years of Reagan and GHW Bush?

Etc., etc. Every generation is different, but it still comes down to trying to deal with the crises at hand.
When we start telling those generations that they're a new They instead of an Us, they get a big head about it and start trying to make themselves a marketing power to hope show why the last generation was "wrong", and...
Oh, here's the stupid Dragnet clip again, you know the conversation's going to end up there sooner or later:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZo2hhvvlpw


Personally, I think it makes more sense to have an independent mentality. There needs to be something better than a two party system in the US government. We're at a state where we've gone through several decades of both parties catastrophically failing us in some way or another. The Republicans have a reasonable idea when it comes to financials (to a degree) and the Democrats understand that social progress is required in the long-haul. Democrats spend too much money trying to speed up (or in some people's opinions: force) social progress and Republicans are too quick to let big companies go wild. There's an in-between somewhere there.

I think that's where a lot of the 'so-called' GenZ people are coming from. They know that the parties have failed them this far and are balanced between the two (or only ever so slightly more on one side of the spectrum than the other). The harder the divide between Republican/Democrats, the more likely "wild cards" like Trump will have a chance of prevailing in any office. I think it was Rujikin that once said: "I'd rather take a risk on an unknown than to repeat what is known and didn't work" (to paraphrase, sorry). This is the example of the mentality I'm trying to state is becoming more common in both Millenials and "GenZ".


Again, the Election of '16 was a great cynical show of Spoiled Entitlement between:
A) those who said "I'm not going to vote for the 'Lesser of Two Evils'!...If our political system can't give us a decent candidate I can be enthusiastic about, I'm going to stay home, so there!"
B) those who said "If this is what our two-party system created, I'm going to be bold and radical, and vote for the obscure Third-Party candidate who's at the bottom of the balllot, so there!--I'll bet bigshot Hilary's stomping her feet right now that she didn't get my vote!"
C) the wide-eyed headline-ignoring naivety of "Well, Trump's a businessman, not a politician, which means he's one of the regular folk outside of Washington, how ya like THEM apples?"
and
D) those who claimed Bernie Sanders was a "Traitor to the revolution!" and "Betraying his followers!" when he said that even if Hillary was now the Democratic Party nominee, there were still some things that were BETTER for the country than voting for Trump, and it's better to be united than scattered and squabbling. But no, it was his fault for not pursuing the shakeup revolution to the vey end and giving them the big generational overturn that they were hoping for, which is why he was the poopyhead...Politics has betrayed our generation! I'm not going to compromise my principles and work together for a larger goal that I'm not absolutely 100% happy with for the greater good, that's what got our parents in trouble! If I did that, I'd be eating oat bran muffins and prune juice tomorrow!


People...there are a hundred million votes in the country. Every vote you DO make counts, but nobody, nobody is going to notice yours if it's missing. Ever. How could they, and why should they?
Protest the "Failed two-party system" by staying home, and you're almost literally throwing a tantrum in a closet.
First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.