First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
Post Reply HYPE for Code Geass on Crunchyroll!
14 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 7/20/17
I know that the Code Geass anime series is over ten years old, but who else is excited that both seasons of the show were finally released today? Time to binge watch both seasons again! Judging from this anime being added to Crunchyroll, who else thinks they might stream season 3 on Crunchyroll too?
66180 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Yo Mama's House
Offline
Posted 7/20/17
CODE GEASS. Is this 2007 again? "LAWL"

6577 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 7/20/17
Sweet news. Going to watching soon. Always hear about Code Geass but haven't checked it out yet.

62561 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M
Offline
Posted 7/20/17

Johhnzzy wrote:

Judging from this anime being added to Crunchyroll, who else thinks they might stream season 3 on Crunchyroll too?


As much as I would like to see that, I doubt the show coming to CR means anything about the new season. This is just one of many shows crossing over from Funimation to CR as part of their partnership. Unless Amazon is suddenly out of the game by the time it airs, there's no way to tell how likely it'd be for season 3 to be on CR. Amazon already took some sequels in Spring from shows that are on both CR and Funimation and made them exclusive.


zendude wrote:

CODE GEASS. Is this 2007 again? "LAWL"



Doc, we've gone back in time!
60 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 7/21/17

Johhnzzy wrote:

I know that the Code Geass anime series is over ten years old, but who else is excited that both seasons of the show were finally released today? Time to binge watch both seasons again! Judging from this anime being added to Crunchyroll, who else thinks they might stream season 3 on Crunchyroll too?


Hopefully they can put Season 3 on Crunchyroll. Hopefully. Seriously hoping!!
11 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M
Offline
Posted 7/21/17
the only problem i got with it is that it sub not dub. and same problem with cowboy bebop
One Punch Mod
104563 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / Boston-ish
Offline
Posted 7/21/17 , edited 7/21/17

newelyisum wrote:

the only problem i got with it is that it sub not dub. and same problem with cowboy bebop


That's how it is with the deal with Funi. CR gets the sub, Funi keeps the dub. If you prefer dubs, then you might be happiest with a Funimation subscription (or try a combo subscription at VRV if you're in the U.S.--then you can enjoy both.)

As to hype about CR having the show (again), I did start watching this back when I first joined CR because it was show people brought up a lot with acclaim. But it didn't interest me enough to keep watching, and I dropped it so I have no plans of watching now. I am happy for those who do like it though.
26154 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / F / Various
Offline
Posted 7/21/17 , edited 7/22/17

lorreen wrote:


newelyisum wrote:

the only problem i got with it is that it sub not dub. and same problem with cowboy bebop


That's how it is with the deal with Funi. CR gets the sub, Funi keeps the dub. If you prefer dubs, then you might be happiest with a Funimation subscription (or try a combo subscription at VRV if you're in the U.S.--then you can enjoy both.)
.


That might be the overall policy, but exceptions should be made for this and Cowboy Bebop.

The dub for this particular series is just... way better. People who take this show seriously do so because they watched the dub (or because they muted the audio when watching with subs). The Japanese voice acting is just... not great. That cast plays more to the hammy, over-the-top aspects of it, while the English cast plays more to the depth of the characters and story.

After all, it was done for Fullmetal Alchemist, presumably for the same reason (that the dub is brilliantly made).

(I know you don't necessarily have input in this, though.)
11336 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Chaldea Security...
Offline
Posted 7/21/17 , edited 7/21/17

LavenderMintRose wrote:


lorreen wrote:


newelyisum wrote:

the only problem i got with it is that it sub not dub. and same problem with cowboy bebop


That's how it is with the deal with Funi. CR gets the sub, Funi keeps the dub. If you prefer dubs, then you might be happiest with a Funimation subscription (or try a combo subscription at VRV if you're in the U.S.--then you can enjoy both.)
.


That might be the overall policy, but exceptions should be made for this and Cowboy Bebop.

The dub for this particular series is just... way better. People who take this show seriously do so because they watched the dub (or because they muted the audio when watching with subs). The Japanese voice acting is just... not great. That cast plays more to the hammy, over-the-top aspects of it, while the English cast plays more to the depth of the characters and story.

After all, it was done for Fullmetal Alchemist, presumably for the same reason (that the dub is brilliantly made).

(I know you don't necessarily have input in this, though.)


HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAH......................no-_-

Jesus how any of you guys can stand Yuri what's his face when he doesn't have any range what so ever is laughable(imo shocking I know)
His Lelouch and Ichigo voices are literally the exact same voice.-.

I was hyped because I thought this was for season 3...but that's like so far off
4424 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / New Mexico
Offline
Posted 7/21/17
I'm pretty happy about this. I've been wanting to watch it, and now I finally can.
5472 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24
Offline
Posted 7/21/17
I am extremely excited for season three and will definitely re-watch the first two seasons but probably on funimation. I need to watch it dubbed for the best experience.
62561 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M
Offline
Posted 7/21/17

HopexLight wrote:

Jesus how any of you guys can stand Yuri what's his face when he doesn't have any range what so ever is laughable(imo shocking I know)
His Lelouch and Ichigo voices are literally the exact same voice.-.


Johnny Yong Bosch is Lelouch (and Ichigo). Yuri Lowenthal is Suzaku.

Regardless of what you think of their range, they both put a lot of emotion into their roles. They're on par with the Japanese voice actors imo. One of the few dubs that actually sounds just as good, if not better than the original since none of the English sounds awkward.
11336 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Chaldea Security...
Offline
Posted 7/21/17
You're right, my mistake. I always get the two mixed up. I can't stand Johnny because he's in EVERYTHING!!!!!
26154 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / F / Various
Offline
Posted 7/21/17 , edited 7/22/17



HopexLight wrote:

You're right, my mistake. I always get the two mixed up. I can't stand Johnny because he's in EVERYTHING!!!!!


Take a second, though, and really listen to his performances as Lelouch, Izaya (in Durarara which Crunchy also has dubbed (from Aniplex, though)), and Fushimi in K. He uses a similar voice for these three, but they sound so different, because he gets the differences in their characters so well. For Lulu, he's so sympathetic - powerful, yet fragile, he plays so perfectly to Lulu's anger and desperation, and to his loving side, and the struggle to reconcile those, which makes up the core of his character.
Meanwhile, his Izaya sounds so similar, but so different. He sounds slimy, sleazy in ways Lelouch never does. And Fushimi has that Lulu-like, "he acts all tough, but inside he's just a little kid who needs a hug (from that guy who's now his enemy)," but his outside isn't on Lulu's level - he's just a whiny hipster kid who likes to snark at his boss. But in a cute way, once you get to know him.

I showed Geass to someone right after showing them K, and they couldn't believe Lulu was Fushimi. And actually, in the first few episodes, I didn't hear it either. Maybe all of his hero roles sound the same (e.g. Ichigo), but if you have any ear for acting, Johnny is one of the best actors in anime, in either language.




...and for the record, Takahiro Sakurai (Suzaku) has 391 credits on ANN, Jun Fukuyama (Lelouch) has 339, the only English voice actors who have more than that are Monica Rial (488), Luci Christian (380) and John Swasey (368). Source: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/people.php?most_prolific=cast Most prolific Geass voice actors are Kirk Thornton (Ohgi, 389), Michelle Ruff (Euphie, 252), Stephanie Sheh (Anya and Kaguya, 234), and Michael McConnohie (Charles, 230). Meanwhile Kikuko Inoue (Cecile, 408), Norio Wakamoto (Charles, 336), and Sayaka Ohara (Milly, 334) also all have more than everyone but Kirk Thornton.

It makes so sense when people freak out over "ew, the same dub actors are in everything" because the same seiyuu are in everything, too.

... to be honest, I find the fact that those three series have the same casts in both languages interesting, because they play such different characters. Besides the Johnny example above, which is more different from Shizuo - Jeremiah Gottwald, who has the same English voice actor (Crispin Freeman), or Kuroh Yatogami, who has the same Japanese voice actor (Daisuke Ono)? It's fun.

If anything, the CA/TX thing makes it so less series have the exact same casts in dubs (e.g. Black Butler has all the same seiyuu as Geass, DRRR!! and K, but a completely different English cast, except for now Spike Spencer (Rolo) as Snake).


The seiyuu who are in everything more recently - e.g. the ones from Tsukiuta - are, for the most part, much better actors than the ones who were in everything ~2005-2009-ish, though there's some overlap there. Also, a lot of it depends on things other than the actors - a lot of those same voice actors who are just in too many things are in Valvrave, and the voice acting in that show is fantastic (though, it's hard to watch after Tsukiuta, because L-elf, Q-vier, and X-eins are all played by seiyuu from Tsukiuta, and their characters are just similar enough to make it even more painful with that comparison.

. . . . . . . . . . . . so, if this is a Geass thread, "I love JYB in general" and "I love Okouchi in general" are just OT enough, right...? ^_^; since this is too long already, I'll move my Okouchi post to the Unpopular Opinions thread, I guess. Though I think I've already gushed about Veevs in there a few times...
11336 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Chaldea Security...
Offline
Posted 7/21/17
It's more the fact that every time he speaks, to me all I hear is Ichigo voice no matter what character he's speaking; but once again that's just me!
First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.