First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
Post Reply Social Darwinism
20206 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Offline
Posted 7/27/17

RyukoKuroki wrote:

But at the same time, the Gilded Age was known for its great pushes in growth, as well as corruption, exploitation, human rights abuses, child labor, and the like.


That sounds like the U.S. today. Where we decide child labor is illegal here, but we outsource it to China's child labor. And the government allows such companies to outsource to countries with worse working standards where we are unable to uphold. Sounds to me like a good ol' corruption and exploitation.
16 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Offline
Posted 7/31/17
Social Darwinism applies the laws of the evolution of nature to the social phenomena of human society and, in its essence, is an antiscientific doctrine, since it is wrong to transfer the laws that operate on one level of organization of matter to another. Racism is also approaching with social Darwinism. And the unscientific nature of the foundations of racism is proved by the large number of irrefutable facts that attest to the unity of the origin of all mankind belonging to a single biological species. Many factors proving this, I use in my work on https://buyessay.org/custom-essay. People of all races normally develop organs and characteristics, including the brain. They are capable of thinking, mental activity, cultural development. And the differences in the level of civilization of individual nations are due not to the biological characteristics of races, but to historical and socio-economic factors, the peculiarities of cultural development.
33246 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
39 / Inside your compu...
Offline
Posted 7/31/17

runec wrote:

My thoughts are that this thread has a high risk of turning into a dumpster fire. >.>



Stick any qualifier in front of "Darwinism" and you get instant dumpster fire material.

There is no distilling Darwinism into a proto-theory and then somehow applying it outside of its original category. The result is only abuse and misuse.
1360 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 7/31/17
Social Darwinism, like other Darwinism, is a misconception of Darwinism by the parasitic desires of the European imperialists and the faulty logic of individualist worldview. Based on a famous researcg of Darwin, Darwin had not stated that evolution goes on one path nor did he propose an inherent fitness of evolution. The fossil record of human evolution did demostrate this by showing that human species did not evolve in a linear path; ancient humans actually evolve in multiple different path and some of those lineage did become successful for a long time.

Social Darwinism begin as a generalization of Darwinism to social context. By making wealth into a dispositional trait that is inherited and immutable, it state that a rich parents will give birth to more rich people due to their inheritance. In the same way, it is used to justify the murder of the poor by claiming that the poor people will give birth to more poor people; the complete genocide of the poor is used as a solution to eliminate poverty as this would supposedly eliminate the people who would spread their poverty status. Capitalism provide a more rational argument for social darwinism by claiming that a person's wealth is dictated by their culture.
20206 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Offline
Posted 7/31/17 , edited 7/31/17
edit
Posted 8/3/17
One piece of the puzzle destroying society.
1503 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / colombia-bogota
Offline
Posted 8/4/17 , edited 8/4/17
im transhumanist and this ideology make the social darwinism stupid because this propose that we can handle our evolution with tecnology .

darwinism isnt logic in actual society because we need divercity: soldiers, musicians,humorists,engineers etc. and think about the following , do you believe people like the cientist stephen hawking should by die?.if we live in the prehistory with darwinist rules then he cant survive by himself..

72 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / F
Offline
Posted 8/4/17 , edited 8/4/17

runec wrote:
*snip*

We'd die off in fairly short order if we tried to act like a pride of lions or some such alpha male BS.


? But we do that all the time. What do you think a Cult of Personality is? The whole "Alpha Male BS" thing you cite here seems to be mainstream modes of society, where we hold up celebrity and powerful people above all others - only difference is you don't have to be male, just famous, rich, and powerful.

If anything, Alpha Male mentality is the norm for society.
13071 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 8/4/17

WitchRolina wrote:


runec wrote:
*snip*

We'd die off in fairly short order if we tried to act like a pride of lions or some such alpha male BS.


? But we do that all the time. What do you think a Cult of Personality is? The whole "Alpha Male BS" thing you cite here seems to be mainstream modes of society, where we hold up celebrity and powerful people above all others - only difference is you don't have to be male, just famous, rich, and powerful.

If anything, Alpha Male mentality is the norm for society.


Alpha male mentality was debunked by the guy who first cited, which it was cited for wolves in captivity.
How do we hold up celebrity and something as vague as "powerful" people above all else when celebrities are often getting slammed with threats and insults all the time. Like if you want to be famous one of the things everyone knows you have to accept is people are going to hate you sometimes for no reason at all.
That in itself contradicts your point of an alpha male society.
Does the justice system favor the rich and famous? Yeah...? But does society looks positively upon those people? Not often.

And you know cult of personality is used to reference totalitarian regimes and how they spread radical ideas(which isn't working too great anymore), what you're describing is closer to celebrity worship syndrome.
Posted 8/4/17
I'm in between of agreeing and disagreeing with social Darwisim. Reasons are because a bond between two very different animals is unexplainable, whether it's a relationship between a man and a animal or a predator and a meek pray.
72 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / F
Offline
Posted 8/4/17

fearisfreedom wrote:


WitchRolina wrote:


runec wrote:
*snip*

We'd die off in fairly short order if we tried to act like a pride of lions or some such alpha male BS.


? But we do that all the time. What do you think a Cult of Personality is? The whole "Alpha Male BS" thing you cite here seems to be mainstream modes of society, where we hold up celebrity and powerful people above all others - only difference is you don't have to be male, just famous, rich, and powerful.

If anything, Alpha Male mentality is the norm for society.


Alpha male mentality was debunked by the guy who first cited, which it was cited for wolves in captivity.
How do we hold up celebrity and something as vague as "powerful" people above all else when celebrities are often getting slammed with threats and insults all the time. Like if you want to be famous one of the things everyone knows you have to accept is people are going to hate you sometimes for no reason at all.
That in itself contradicts your point of an alpha male society.
Does the justice system favor the rich and famous? Yeah...? But does society looks positively upon those people? Not often.

And you know cult of personality is used to reference totalitarian regimes and how they spread radical ideas(which isn't working too great anymore), what you're describing is closer to celebrity worship syndrome.


I'm not too convinced those two are totally unrelated. In fact, I'd argue that the tendency to focus on celebrity is what leads to the whole totalitarian thing in the first place. Not every dictator in the world rose by military coup alone - many had the support of the people, and some of those countries are straight up ashamed of falling for it in the past. As for whether or not Society is positive or not... that depends. There's also a hell of a lot of Us vs Them going on too. What was Trump v Clinton if not an Alpha v Alpha Celebrity showdown of Us vs Them? Cult of Personality on both sides, and they're still going at it today as if no victor had been declared. Hell, I don't watch the news anymore because of how bad it's gotten. Hell, it may not even matter if people support the Alpha - it could just be that they hate the other Alpha more.

13071 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 8/4/17

WitchRolina wrote:


fearisfreedom wrote:


WitchRolina wrote:


runec wrote:
*snip*

We'd die off in fairly short order if we tried to act like a pride of lions or some such alpha male BS.


? But we do that all the time. What do you think a Cult of Personality is? The whole "Alpha Male BS" thing you cite here seems to be mainstream modes of society, where we hold up celebrity and powerful people above all others - only difference is you don't have to be male, just famous, rich, and powerful.

If anything, Alpha Male mentality is the norm for society.


Alpha male mentality was debunked by the guy who first cited, which it was cited for wolves in captivity.
How do we hold up celebrity and something as vague as "powerful" people above all else when celebrities are often getting slammed with threats and insults all the time. Like if you want to be famous one of the things everyone knows you have to accept is people are going to hate you sometimes for no reason at all.
That in itself contradicts your point of an alpha male society.
Does the justice system favor the rich and famous? Yeah...? But does society looks positively upon those people? Not often.

And you know cult of personality is used to reference totalitarian regimes and how they spread radical ideas(which isn't working too great anymore), what you're describing is closer to celebrity worship syndrome.


I'm not too convinced those two are totally unrelated. In fact, I'd argue that the tendency to focus on celebrity is what leads to the whole totalitarian thing in the first place. Not every dictator in the world rose by military coup alone - many had the support of the people, and some of those countries are straight up ashamed of falling for it in the past. As for whether or not Society is positive or not... that depends. There's also a hell of a lot of Us vs Them going on too. What was Trump v Clinton if not an Alpha v Alpha Celebrity showdown of Us vs Them? Cult of Personality on both sides, and they're still going at it today as if no victor had been declared. Hell, I don't watch the news anymore because of how bad it's gotten. Hell, it may not even matter if people support the Alpha - it could just be that they hate the other Alpha more.



Celebrity is different from Charisma. Those dictators didn't rise because they were celebrities. They rose using charisma to galvanize the people of the time.
Pffffft Trump vs Clinton was alphamale? The majority of people liked neither of them and then the people supporting them did because either they felt it was the lesser of two evils or Trump was doing things they already believed but the rest of the world previously had refused to give them a platform for.
runec 
36271 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 8/4/17

WitchRolina wrote:
? But we do that all the time. What do you think a Cult of Personality is? The whole "Alpha Male BS" thing you cite here seems to be mainstream modes of society, where we hold up celebrity and powerful people above all others - only difference is you don't have to be male, just famous, rich, and powerful.

If anything, Alpha Male mentality is the norm for society.


I'm not talking about the cultural mythos of "alpha males". I'm talking about the actual concept of alpha males. Where one male has exclusive breeding rights, etc.

Humans are pretty vulnerable due to our intelligence and the whole walking upright thing. We have long gestation times, difficult pregnancies, and a comparatively high rate of death and injury in childbirth due to our walking upright. We're born utterly vulnerable and have one of the longest periods of growth between infancy and adulthood of any creature. While properly raising our offspring requires an absurd about of time and resources.

Our current level of intelligence and advancement is only possible due to our ability to function in large, complex societies. Take that away from us and we're fragile, naked apes.

419 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
57 / M
Offline
Posted 8/4/17
This is a difficult question to answer since Social Darwinism is an ill-defined concept. The concept can mean different things to different people especially since its meaning is tied to the questions being answered. Unlike Darwin's theory which applied to the origin of species, Social Darwinism is almost of meaningless phrase often used to evoke negative feelings about society. Spencer's original idea as it relates to the evolution of society and the usefulness of "humanitarian" forces has been folded, stretched, and manipulated far beyond the original.

You should define what you mean and what context you are applying it to.
72 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / F
Offline
Posted 8/4/17

runec wrote:


WitchRolina wrote:
? But we do that all the time. What do you think a Cult of Personality is? The whole "Alpha Male BS" thing you cite here seems to be mainstream modes of society, where we hold up celebrity and powerful people above all others - only difference is you don't have to be male, just famous, rich, and powerful.

If anything, Alpha Male mentality is the norm for society.


I'm not talking about the cultural mythos of "alpha males". I'm talking about the actual concept of alpha males. Where one male has exclusive breeding rights, etc.

Humans are pretty vulnerable due to our intelligence and the whole walking upright thing. We have long gestation times, difficult pregnancies, and a comparatively high rate of death and injury in childbirth due to our walking upright. We're born utterly vulnerable and have one of the longest periods of growth between infancy and adulthood of any creature. While properly raising our offspring requires an absurd about of time and resources.

Our current level of intelligence and advancement is only possible due to our ability to function in large, complex societies. Take that away from us and we're fragile, naked apes.



Ah, that's what you meant. Yeah, we're not exactly Alpha Male in that regard, I'll admit that. Power still has benefits, but it's certainly not exclusive.
First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.