First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
Post Reply What if aliens were real?
207 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
42 / M
Online
Posted 7/31/17
Check out this URL:
https://www.space.com/24496-universe-alien-life-habitability-big-bang.html

The crux of the argument is that the universe may have been able to support life as early as 15 million years after the Big Bang, roughly 13.8 billion years ago. The Earth is only 4.5 billion years old and evidence of life shows up about 800 million years later. Supposing that we are "average" for the length of time it takes to go from microbes to civilization, the earliest spacefaring civilization could then have started expanding more than 8 billion years ago.

The milky way galaxy is about 100,000 light years in diameter. You would only have to go a little over 2.4 miles per second on average to get from one end to the other, if you have 8 billion years. The fastest man made object traveling in space traveled at 25 miles per second.
33028 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
39 / Inside your compu...
Offline
Posted 7/31/17
Are you guys talking about an episode of Star Trek:TNG?
794 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / PA, USA
Offline
Posted 7/31/17
I would be disgusted, because it'd be a narcissist's dream.
6128 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / Australia
Offline
Posted 7/31/17
If you think about it, It's almost statistically impossible for other life not to exist. There are billions of planets capable of supporting life throughout the universe, which is only ever expanding. Perhaps like us, they just don't have a means of reaching out.
1872 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
37 / M / Shanghai China
Offline
Posted 7/31/17

Gwyndolin wrote:

If you think about it, It's almost statistically impossible for other life not to exist. There are billions of planets capable of supporting life throughout the universe, which is only ever expanding. Perhaps like us, they just don't have a means of reaching out.


They would also only need a 200 year head start to have intergalactic travel for us if you remove the dark ages that set us back close to that we would have that right now. A lot of scientist have said if the dark ages never happened we would be terraforming mars now. Considering the earth is oscillating at the same frequency as a bell that can be heard through the entire universe because of the amount of water we have it wouldn't take much for alien civilization to find us. Not only that but anyone within 200 light years of earth can detect us because of the amount of noise we make so if a ufo is within 200 light years of earth they can easily locate us we make tons of noise. Ever since the first radio broadcast we have had an active seti program. That's why I believe a lot of the mass ufo sightings are real its not that hard to locate us we are actually very easy to find.
12 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / United States
Offline
Posted 7/31/17
Sounds interesting. I don't mind at all, hehe~
1322 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / Ireland
Offline
Posted 7/31/17 , edited 7/31/17
I think people who believe that aliens helped build Stonehenge and the Pyramids sell humans short. We're capable of quite a lot even with low levels of technology. I think the main problem is people find it hard to believe the amount of people who would have been involved in building these things. It would have been thousands. That much manpower can easily transport large stone using even simple technology and chisel out great works of masonry and art given time.

It certainly would be interesting if aliens helped us build these things, to a degree at least but I find it far more interested and amazing to think that humans did them, with little more than simple tools and vast amounts of manpower. It's far more insightful into what humans are really capable of given a common goal.
1322 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / Ireland
Offline
Posted 7/31/17
There's one issue with peoples understanding of the dark ages. It's not necessarily true that all technological advancement stopped during the dark ages. It's more an issue of very little archaeology being found for the period. Humans didn't really regress technologically speaking during that period, it could be argued that perhaps they did in terms of society but that's not surprising given the slow decline of the Roman civilisation. All the people that made up that civilisation, for the most part, still existed, they just formed new nations and groups. So it's unlikely that we would be 200 years ahead technologically speaking without that period of history.

That being said there is a theory that that entire period was made up in some crazy power trip by a king (at least I think it was a king).
6634 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / M / Melbourne
Offline
Posted 8/1/17
There are an estimated 100-400 billion stars in our galaxy with an estimated 1.4 planets to each of those.
There is an estimated 100-1000 billion galaxy's within the observable universe and fuck knows how large it truly is. I have heard the observable universe is the size of a standard lightbulb with the actual universe being the size of Pluto. Make of that what you will.
Believing in aliens shouldn't even be a thing, it should be where are they?

In any case, even going by the smallest estimations and halving them it would be rather naive to consider Earth the only example of life to have arisen since the big bang. It is also arrogant to think that since 'we' haven't seen evidence during our limited search of the black skies that we might be the first in our own galaxy, much less the universe.
Looking at it logically, how would an alien race act had they stumbled upon us? There are four options, laugh n leave, prosperous contact, silent observation or utter annihilation. I won't be going into the finer details of the final three I'm lazy and am going off topic.

Yes, I think aliens are real and find the chances of them assisting us throughout history are readily apparent, though I do like to believe that humanity was more than capable of achieving past feats on our own merit such as the pyramids of Giza, buuuuut that's not as awesome.

If peaceful aliens were to show up today up to 90-95% of humanity would collectively loose their shit due to their faith being majorly stress tested. Amusingly, under the watchful eye of religion science has been on a slow burn, allowing religion to work findings into the name of god, whereas aliens arriving would be like ripping off a super glued bandaid.
We would literally devolve into shit flinging monkeys, showing our true colours and embarrassing our guests in the process.

I want aliens to be the ones who seeded Earth just so I can laugh in the face of gods rabid fanbase like the smug cunt I am, but to be able to do so with irrefutable proof for once would be nice AND erection worthy since "logical" conversations with most of those zealots are extremely rare to come across and are always a pleasure.
I can't help loving the eventual "But what if they prove god is real?" Aliens and a god? WH40K ain't got shit on reality!
That scenario is a definite win-win for me coz I get my aliens and I get to see earths religions crumble because god will not be like anything the worlds religions are forcing down our throats! *shivers* I am gettin moist just thinking about it!
1872 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
37 / M / Shanghai China
Offline
Posted 8/1/17 , edited 8/1/17

Invader_Jim wrote:

There are an estimated 100-400 billion stars in our galaxy with an estimated 1.4 planets to each of those.
There is an estimated 100-1000 billion galaxy's within the observable universe and fuck knows how large it truly is. I have heard the observable universe is the size of a standard lightbulb with the actual universe being the size of Pluto. Make of that what you will.
Believing in aliens shouldn't even be a thing, it should be where are they?

In any case, even going by the smallest estimations and halving them it would be rather naive to consider Earth the only example of life to have arisen since the big bang. It is also arrogant to think that since 'we' haven't seen evidence during our limited search of the black skies that we might be the first in our own galaxy, much less the universe.
Looking at it logically, how would an alien race act had they stumbled upon us? There are four options, laugh n leave, prosperous contact, silent observation or utter annihilation. I won't be going into the finer details of the final three I'm lazy and am going off topic.

Yes, I think aliens are real and find the chances of them assisting us throughout history are readily apparent, though I do like to believe that humanity was more than capable of achieving past feats on our own merit such as the pyramids of Giza, buuuuut that's not as awesome.

If peaceful aliens were to show up today up to 90-95% of humanity would collectively loose their shit due to their faith being majorly stress tested. Amusingly, under the watchful eye of religion science has been on a slow burn, allowing religion to work findings into the name of god, whereas aliens arriving would be like ripping off a super glued bandaid.
We would literally devolve into shit flinging monkeys, showing our true colours and embarrassing our guests in the process.

I want aliens to be the ones who seeded Earth just so I can laugh in the face of gods rabid fanbase like the smug cunt I am, but to be able to do so with irrefutable proof for once would be nice AND erection worthy since "logical" conversations with most of those zealots are extremely rare to come across and are always a pleasure.
I can't help loving the eventual "But what if they prove god is real?" Aliens and a god? WH40K ain't got shit on reality!
That scenario is a definite win-win for me coz I get my aliens and I get to see earths religions crumble because god will not be like anything the worlds religions are forcing down our throats! *shivers* I am gettin moist just thinking about it!



In regards to the seeding theory in Africa they found perfect spheres that are a billion years old in a diamond mind. Inside where the building blocks to jump start life on earth. I am not a scientists so I don't remember exactly what its called. During project Bluebook in the 50s that's why the world governments status on this is to deny deny deny as much as possible until they are forced to. There was a study done in the 50s and it was related to religion and it would cause mass panic and rioting and breakdowns of society if people knew they where created by aliens and not gods like in the bible. Even today it would cause mass panic mainly because people fear what they don't understand. Though I am pretty sure a select few do know the truth and even they still have had hard time accepting it. There is more to our development as a species than natural selection like what we are being told. I also believe that are ancestors where much more advanced then what we are being told. Just look at the ancient sand script Indian texts. There is all kinds of stuff that's 12,000 years old that talks about aliens battling for earth alien abductions and people leaving earth and being taken to star systems that even has the location describe in sand script. There was a lot more going on in the past than what we have been told. Every time one of these divine beings visits a country great knowledge is spread out. I don't think most aliens are hostile if you look at some of the ancient texts I think its a miss understanding of people fearing what they don't understand. I think something is going to happen in a 100 years or less there are a lot of signs pointing to contact happening very soon. Even the Vatican in Rome has been changing its views on the universe and saying it would not affect Christianity if aliens contacted earth unlike in the past. I have even seen reports of it happening in September 2017.
6634 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / M / Melbourne
Offline
Posted 8/1/17

gsm642 wrote:

In regards to the seeding theory in Africa they found perfect spheres that are a billion years old in a diamond mind. Inside where the building blocks to jump start life on earth. I am not a scientists so I don't remember exactly what its called. During project Bluebook in the 50s that's why the world governments status on this is to deny deny deny as much as possible until they are forced to. There was a study done in the 50s and it was related to religion and it would cause mass panic and rioting and breakdowns of society if people knew they where created by aliens and not gods like in the bible. Even today it would cause mass panic mainly because people fear what they don't understand. Though I am pretty sure a select few do know the truth and even they still have had hard time accepting it. There is more to our development as a species than natural selection like what we are being told. I also believe that are ancestors where much more advanced then what we are being told. Just look at the ancient sand script Indian texts. There is all kinds of stuff that's 12,000 years old that talks about aliens battling for earth alien abductions and people leaving earth and being taken to star systems that even has the location describe in sand script. There was a lot more going on in the past than what we have been told. Every time one of these divine beings visits a country great knowledge is spread out. I don't think most aliens are hostile if you look at some of the ancient texts I think its a miss understanding of people fearing what they don't understand. I think something is going to happen in a 100 years or less there are a lot of signs pointing to contact happening very soon. Even the Vatican in Rome has been changing its views on the universe and saying it would not affect Christianity if aliens contacted earth unlike in the past. I have even seen reports of it happening in September 2017.


I haven't been on the ball with this topic for quite awhile so cheers for updating me on these seed spheres, I gots some reading to do!

I am inclined to agree with you on our ancestors being more advanced than we are being told, but not by much.
More like they were advanced in aspects that we wouldn't even consider given the direction modern man has taken in the last 2-300 years.

The vast amount of knowledge that is very likely being held within the Vaticans vaults makes my mind drool like a hungry dog.
If only there was a way to force them to share everything they have obtained over the past two millennia or so.
33501 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F
Offline
Posted 8/1/17
The belief that the universe exists only for mankind’s benefit perfectly illustrates our arrogance.

The only form of life WE recognize is based on carbon. In actual fact life based on silicon is theoretically possible. Such a silicon life form could exhale silicon dioxide, i.e. sand. We could even now be surrounded by alien life and never even recognize it was there. The reality is that we don't know much of anything yet.

What some alien peering through a telescope at mankind, whether seeing us as we were 600 years ago, or as we are today even, will be the same. One constant throughout history is that we kill each other with great efficiency and enthusiasm. Intelligent alien life will most certainly steer clear of Earth because we are a dangerous species.
2450 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / Somewhere Only We...
Offline
Posted 8/1/17
Aliens are real, When you're from US and you visited UK you are called an ALIEN.

So I guess that makes it REAL.
3931 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Mᴇᴡɴɪ
Offline
Posted 8/1/17

I'd scream
393 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
16 / M / England, Norfolk,...
Offline
Posted 8/1/17
Well, they are. Whilst yes, It hasn't been proven nor will it for quite some time, but think about, we have only explored a minute percentage of the known universe, so small a percentage, that it is irrelevant in the grand scheme of things. So, it's ignorant to say that they don't, or can't exist because they probably do, somewhere out there in the vast, unexplored void we call space. Although, just because they are alien, it doesn't mean they will look abnormal, like Hollywood has been inferring for years. They may be just an (intellectually) superior race to humans, nothing more, or they may be something completely different, beyond human comprehension and understanding, and that is what is so interesting about the whole concept of "aliens" existing in areas of the the universe that we haven't explored yet. We probably won't see them or see valid proof of their existence in our lives, although give a few thousand more years and they may appear, in one way or another. Whilst there are already more theories regarding aliens than I can count, they are just theories, although some are believable, given the current context. If aliens were indeed proven to exist, and perhaps decided to visit Earth, humans being the inquisitive creatures that they are, would wan't to find out everything about these foreigners, who they are, what differences they possess, their history, origins, intentions, etc. In conclusion, I believe that humanity and earth are just an insignificant blip in the timeline of the universe, we share this so-called "space" with millions of potential other species (given the relative size of the universe), some of whom may be superior to us, some may still be living in what we would call the dark ages. "Aliens" do exist, somewhere out there, although we will never see them.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.