WEEKEND TICKETS GOING FAST!

PRICES GO UP AT THE GATE

PURCHASE TICKET
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next  Last
Post Reply Do you still buy physical anime?
4068 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Metro Detroit
Online
Posted 20 days ago
yes, the last anime DVD I bought was the Psycho Pass movie, because I could not find it on any streaming sites, KissAnime had it, but the quality was garbage no matter how u watched it, so I purchased it & have it watched it more than once, so yeah, also I read that Crunchyroll teamed up w/ some one to put out DVDs of many of their titles, so I am looking forward to that
1135 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / bathtub
Online
Posted 20 days ago
Yes. I don't have a large collection at all though.
12656 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 20 days ago
Yes, I just bought Onimonogatari now I just need Hana, Tsuki and the movies to complete the gataris plus I have over a hundred others on Blu plus my old DVD collection though a lot of the Blus are duplicates of those. I wouldn't have so many but at the end of the year they have sales of over 70% off so I stock up.
131 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / F
Offline
Posted 20 days ago
I just realized I've pretty much been collecting anime since I started watching it, which wasn't all that long ago. For the most part, I wait for really good deals, and I only buy box sets, no special editions- I did that twice and decided the extras weren't worth it. I also frequently buy used copies. Got into buying out-of-print series last year. I've been buying more blurays, but I still buy dvds of series I'm not crazy about seeing in hi-def. Unless it's a really great deal, I only buy shows I've already seen and really like.

And yeah, I just buy them to have them- and I like loaning them to friends. I prefer to stream anime, so my hard copies are just backup, most of them are unopened. I feel like I'm making up for lost time- I started watching anime in 2008, and have since collected over 160 series and movies. I keep telling myself I'm done for a while, but then I find more awesome series. It's the main thing I spend money on, though.
15430 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / Philippines
Offline
Posted 20 days ago
Haven't since those things are expensive but I wanted to. Maybe someday...
67686 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / F / UK
Offline
Posted 20 days ago
I still pay plenty of dvds and blu rays, I prefer them to online streaming, especially as no buffering of problems when a lost of internet connection
34089 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / New York
Offline
Posted 20 days ago
Only for shows I really, really, really like and want to own the collection of. Also some shows/movies simply look much better in Blu-Ray if I'm going to rewatch it.
20380 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
35 / M / SoFlo
Offline
Posted 20 days ago , edited 20 days ago
I probably wont buy another physical copy for the rest of my life. Thank you internets

I used to buy anime in the 90's on VHS for $29.99 a pop. Shit was expensive and now all those VHS tapes are worthless. I trashed them all a few months ago.
14260 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 20 days ago
I don't anymore. The prices are exorbitant now, and I can't keep buying new and shiny ways to watch the same things. HD-DVD passed me by, and Blu-Ray was never on my radar.
Ejanss 
16261 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Online
Posted 20 days ago , edited 20 days ago

1871212 wrote:

In an era where most anime can be legally streamed through several different sources I was wondering does anyone see the point of buying physical copies of anime? I personally still do because I like to collect my favorites and I'm still a bit of a caveman when it's comes to streaming but i'm curious, does anyone buy physical anime and if so why?


I buy 4-disk season-long DVD/Blu boxsets to KEEP it--
But having lived through the early 90's days when you literally had to buy anything you wanted to watch (yep, Zangief, I was there too, but I'm not so danged bitter about it), I'm grateful for the new streaming-era post-00's-Bubble industry knowing how to orchestrate the difference between watching anime and keeping it.
The same dichotomy has seem to become true for the gap between Hollywood digital movie rentals and digital movie sales at the moment, but the studios are still too blinded by pink cloudy castles in the sky to see it.

Back in '99-'00, if you could have told me that there would someday be an easier way to watch the next rental episode of Slayers Next than my taking the train to Harvard Square twice a month to find the only reliable anime VHS-rental stores in a 20-mile radius, I would have probably shouted in rapturous joy, "What am I doing?? "
697 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
41 / M / California
Offline
Posted 20 days ago
Yes.
You never have to worry about the streaming site going down with a DVD copy
28193 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 20 days ago , edited 20 days ago

zangeif123 wrote:

I probably wont buy another physical copy for the rest of my life. Thank you internets

I used to buy anime in the 90's on VHS for $29.99 a pop. Shit was expensive and now all those VHS tapes are worthless. I trashed them all a few months ago.


Yep. When people complain about filler in anime they are streaming I can't help but laugh. Imagine following a series via VHS $19-$30 a pop for 3-4 eps a month and then there is a filler arc. I completely wasted so much money. I have crates of VHS anime turning to dust in a closet right now. When they really switched to DVD it got a bit better, but I would still be hard pressed to buy physical copies of anime again.
19312 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
37 / M / So. Cal
Online
Posted 20 days ago
Yes, mostly movies though
14239 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
33 / M / El Mirage, AZ
Online
Posted 20 days ago

gornotck wrote:

I don't anymore. The prices are exorbitant now, and I can't keep buying new and shiny ways to watch the same things. HD-DVD passed me by, and Blu-Ray was never on my radar.

The prices for what you get have actually gotten a lot better. It use to be $30 for three episodes times around 7 volumes.

20380 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
35 / M / SoFlo
Offline
Posted 20 days ago

Otaku_J wrote:


zangeif123 wrote:

I probably wont buy another physical copy for the rest of my life. Thank you internets

I used to buy anime in the 90's on VHS for $29.99 a pop. Shit was expensive and now all those VHS tapes are worthless. I trashed them all a few months ago.


Yep. When people complain about filler in anime they are streaming I can't help but laugh. Imagine following a series via VHS $19-$30 a pop for 3-4 eps a month and then there is a filler arc. I completely wasted so much money. I have crates of VHS anime turning to dust in a closet right now. When they really switched to DVD it got a bit better, but I would still be hard pressed to buy physical copies of anime again.


I bought the DBZ Garlic Jr. arc for $29.99. I feel your pain buddy. I learned my lesson and I'm happy with streaming.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.