First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
Finally, someone understands it. Now if only others would just listen to him
8492 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / One of the few lo...
Offline
Posted 7/31/17 , edited 8/1/17
So to start, I will just link this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVvS3L_aBV4

It is one of the Jordan Peterson videos. Some of you may be aware of him. Some of you may not be aware of him. Either or, please do everyone on earth a favor by doing the same favor everyone reading this should be doing and watch his videos. Listen to him. He might seem a bit off the wall for some of you, which is fine, as that means he's saying something you genuinely didn't think of before. He might seem stupid to some of the rest of you, but then that would make you the very people that he is claiming that the world should be ignoring.
And there will be some like myself who completely agree with what he is saying in pretty much, but maybe not every single thing said. (I mean, no one is perfect, we all make mistakes.)

Fair warning. His videos are movie length. He goes on tangents, but not necessarily off topic. Ultimately everything he has to say is in some way interconnected, or as the post-modernists would have it, intersected with the main point over all.

He has a habit of typically repeating himself in the many different videos of him speaking to groups, but that I find is because he is doing the right, smart thing. He sticks to his guns. He sticks to what he knows, and he knows clinical (i.e. real) psychology and philosophy along with other things but those are his two main cannons, and he sticks with them pretty thoroughly.

You are going to hear him mention Carl Jung a lot, and that's a good thing whether you know it or not.

You are going to hear him mention the Kulak archipelago a lot too, and that's another good thing. Especially considering the times we live in right now.

He is probably going to come off as self righteous and condescending to some, and that's fine. You can learn to deflate your ego a bit, because this guy has earned his position to talk down to you.

What I want out of this forum post is this.

I want to hear what you have to say after watching this video and some of the others on youtube available after it. Another good one is this one. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0AuRNff4kvA

What I want to see is your responses as to how you agree or disagree with him. I don't want to see people bickering with each other, though that probably will still happen. I want to see people who disagree with him actually back up their sources. I want to see those who agree with him say why, anecdote or not.

Because I personally and truly believe that all of the world needs to pay attention to this man. He puts into words what I cannot, but still we think the same on many things.

So to me to all of you through Jordan Peterson... what the fuck world? Can you please stop being so ... deluded... to put it nicely?


-edit- Here is another video. Shows off just what kind of man he really is and what kind of people he is destroying through logic and intelligence. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMSmUzDt-7U

-edit- Another good video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=458My4gvGDs Probably best as a TlDr for some people who don't have the time to really listen to the whole thing.

-edit- So apparently some people decided that reporting me to the mods was their best course of action in debating me.... Learn to fight your own battles children. The mods aren't your parents. (unless one of them is... then i'm not sure what to say...)

8637 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / a pop tart
Offline
Posted 7/31/17 , edited 8/1/17
Okey dokey.
8492 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / One of the few lo...
Offline
Posted 7/31/17 , edited 8/1/17

RyukoKuroki wrote:

Okey dokey.


Did you even watch it? I suspect you likely did not considering the obvious sarcasm. I don't really expect anyone to watch it at all, but I do expect those who wish to reply to watch it so they can respond better than just with mockery.

But then again, thanks for doing so.

You just made yourself look like the person you really are, instead of the person you should be trying to become if you aren't already.

Good job.

Now, you gonna go watch the video and maybe learn something? You might come away from it having learned something more useful than all 12 years through school to be quite honest.

-edit- lol, apparently I've been reported to the mods. Well, I didn't insult you, or break any rules here ... I think... so we will see how this goes down.
Posted 7/31/17 , edited 8/1/17
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVvS3L_aBV4

wait this video?? ^

oh hall naw this is too long, an hour and 45 min. No thank you
19439 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 7/31/17 , edited 8/1/17
"Peterson's critiques of 'political correctness' have widened from the preferred gender pronouns of students to wider issues including White Privilege, Cultural Appropriation and Postmodernism." --from Wikipedia

An interesting Canadian Anti-NeoMarxist.
2221 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / bathtub
Offline
Posted 7/31/17 , edited 8/1/17
Your post alone makes it sound like you are trying to sell us on something that you anticipate we will be suspicious of. Red flag.

You say the person in this video might seem stupid to some of us, but this guy says those people, the kind that think he is stupid, are the kind we should all be ignoring. That is a roundabout way of restating that this guy thinks the opposition to this argument is incorrect, duh. But thinking we shouldn't listen to people that might think he is stupid does not invite discourse, nor does it inspire anything but skepticism. If you have a strong position you aren't running around insulting the intelligence of the people that disagree with you. If your point is strong you should be able to make it without ad-hominens.

The first person to reply was met with your hostility and insults because you interpreted their one word response as sarcasm.

None of that makes me want to give this video a chance and it certainly doesn't say to me that you'd be interested in a discourse if I did.
8492 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / One of the few lo...
Offline
Posted 7/31/17 , edited 8/1/17

eggrollsama wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVvS3L_aBV4

wait this video?? ^

oh hall naw this is too long, an hour and 45 min. No thank you



heheheh.... yeah. I added a shorter one at the end of the OP.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=458My4gvGDs
8492 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / One of the few lo...
Offline
Posted 7/31/17 , edited 8/1/17

AsukaAyanami wrote:

Your post alone makes it sound like you are trying to sell us on something that you anticipate we will be suspicious of. Red flag.

You say the person in this video might seem stupid to some of us, but this guy says those people, the kind that think he is stupid, are the kind we should all be ignoring. That is a roundabout way of restating that this guy thinks the opposition to this argument is incorrect, duh. But thinking we shouldn't listen to people that might think he is stupid does not invite discourse, nor does it inspire anything but skepticism. If you have a strong position you aren't running around insulting the intelligence of the people that disagree with you. If your point is strong you should be able to make it without ad-hominens.

The first person to reply was met with your hostility and insults because you interpreted their one word response as sarcasm.

None of that makes me want to give this video a chance and it certainly doesn't say to me that you'd be interested in a discourse if I did.


Alright, so I think I understand where you are coming from.

I was trying to cover the fact that some people might watch it and think he is an idiot, because doi... they are the idiots. Understand now?

Basically I was trying to give people a rundown as to what to expect in the long videos he has to watch, but not only that, but also things to keep in mind when watching it. Like for instance if you are disagreeing with him, you might want to reassess why you disagree with him, because sorry to say it but you are probably wrong.

I am not insulting the intelligence of people who disagree with him. I am saying that if you disagree with him you aren't very intelligent. Why? Because the things he is saying shouldn't take much for anyone intelligent to begin with to agree with.

So, refine that down to its basics and yes, if you disagree with him, you are probably stupid. That, or very ignorant of the situation at hand and need further education on the matter so that you can make a better opinion than the ones made by those who have nothing worthwhile to say in the first place.

As for your bit about the first person who replied... Seriously? The sarcasm was obvious as all hell. I also did not insult that person. That person insulted themselves through their actions. I merely pointed them out for being what they are.

That's not an insult. That's calling you out on your BS. Highly different.

I am not posting this for people like you who think they need to be skeptical of absolutely everything. I am not posting this for anyone really who thinks they have a obligation to disagree with everything they see or hear. I am posting this so that the people like you who are this way but actually have some small chance of intellectual salvation can help themselves out of the hole the rest of you are digging around the entirety of society.

But hey, that's probably just not worth your time, is it.

But making a response about your disagreement over how I posted, reacted and etc is not a waste of your time?

Maybe you should have watched the video instead. Then maybe your opinion would be slightly different, instead of just asinine.

By the way. I treat others as they treat others and myself. If someone is a jack ass with me, they get themselves back. If someone is sarcastic with me, they get themselves back. You only receive from me what you give to begin with.

Enjoy.
8492 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / One of the few lo...
Offline
Posted 7/31/17 , edited 8/1/17

AsukaAyanami wrote:

Your post alone makes it sound like you are trying to sell us on something that you anticipate we will be suspicious of. Red flag.

You say the person in this video might seem stupid to some of us, but this guy says those people, the kind that think he is stupid, are the kind we should all be ignoring. That is a roundabout way of restating that this guy thinks the opposition to this argument is incorrect, duh. But thinking we shouldn't listen to people that might think he is stupid does not invite discourse, nor does it inspire anything but skepticism. If you have a strong position you aren't running around insulting the intelligence of the people that disagree with you. If your point is strong you should be able to make it without ad-hominens.

The first person to reply was met with your hostility and insults because you interpreted their one word response as sarcasm.

None of that makes me want to give this video a chance and it certainly doesn't say to me that you'd be interested in a discourse if I did.


Oh, one last thing. Ignoring idiots isn't wrong like you think it is. Sometimes, idiots just need to be ignored because there is nothing you can say to them that will convince them that they are idiots and need to change. Why waste your time on them?

I only say this at all to you, because I don't think you are an idiot. A skeptical smart ass maybe, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. You just have your scope aimed in the wrong direction is all.

Now, just watch this video at the very least. It's the shorter one of them and maybe you might see why I am being the way I am about all of this. There is no real room for disagreeing with the guy. Because if you are disagreeing with him, you are disagreeing with reality, and reality doesn't give a fuck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=458My4gvGDs
Posted 7/31/17 , edited 8/1/17

Your post alone makes it sound like you are trying to sell us on something that you anticipate we will be suspicious of. Red flag.

You say the person in this video might seem stupid to some of us, but this guy says those people, the kind that think he is stupid, are the kind we should all be ignoring. That is a roundabout way of restating that this guy thinks the opposition to this argument is incorrect, duh. But thinking we shouldn't listen to people that might think he is stupid does not invite discourse, nor does it inspire anything but skepticism. If you have a strong position you aren't running around insulting the intelligence of the people that disagree with you. If your point is strong you should be able to make it without ad-hominens.

The first person to reply was met with your hostility and insults because you interpreted their one word response as sarcasm.

None of that makes me want to give this video a chance and it certainly doesn't say to me that you'd be interested in a discourse if I did.


I agree
8492 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / One of the few lo...
Offline
Posted 7/31/17 , edited 8/1/17

Jamming777 wrote:

"Peterson's critiques of 'political correctness' have widened from the preferred gender pronouns of students to wider issues including White Privilege, Cultural Appropriation and Postmodernism." --from Wikipedia

An interesting Canadian Anti-NeoMarxist.


Nice plug from wikipedia. It sums it up nicely. I misread it at first, but after re-reading it, I realized my mistake.

Now my question to you is this. Did you watch any of his videos at all? I ask because you could be being sarcastic here about it, instead of genuinely being supporting of his views.
qwueri 
24930 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / M / TN
Offline
Posted 7/31/17 , edited 8/1/17

AsukaAyanami wrote:

Your post alone makes it sound like you are trying to sell us on something that you anticipate we will be suspicious of. Red flag.

You say the person in this video might seem stupid to some of us, but this guy says those people, the kind that think he is stupid, are the kind we should all be ignoring. That is a roundabout way of restating that this guy thinks the opposition to this argument is incorrect, duh. But thinking we shouldn't listen to people that might think he is stupid does not invite discourse, nor does it inspire anything but skepticism. If you have a strong position you aren't running around insulting the intelligence of the people that disagree with you. If your point is strong you should be able to make it without ad-hominens.

The first person to reply was met with your hostility and insults because you interpreted their one word response as sarcasm.

None of that makes me want to give this video a chance and it certainly doesn't say to me that you'd be interested in a discourse if I did.


I got the same impression. The OP is highly reminiscent of some of the shady door-to-door sales people I've come across. Talk about how great the product is without explicitly listing any reasons or credentials that could be checked out without further investment of time, preemptively demeaning skepticism with attacks on status and intelligence, and generally just priming the audience to view what's being sold before revealing what it is.

I question what discussion value there is in the OP. Despite paragraphs, it all sums up to: "Watch the link, if you disagree with it you should be ignored, and agree with this guy because he's smarter than you." If the OP can't even summarize what the video is, the entire value of the thread seems to be advertising the link.
8492 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / One of the few lo...
Offline
Posted 7/31/17 , edited 7/31/17

eggrollsama wrote:


Your post alone makes it sound like you are trying to sell us on something that you anticipate we will be suspicious of. Red flag.

You say the person in this video might seem stupid to some of us, but this guy says those people, the kind that think he is stupid, are the kind we should all be ignoring. That is a roundabout way of restating that this guy thinks the opposition to this argument is incorrect, duh. But thinking we shouldn't listen to people that might think he is stupid does not invite discourse, nor does it inspire anything but skepticism. If you have a strong position you aren't running around insulting the intelligence of the people that disagree with you. If your point is strong you should be able to make it without ad-hominens.

The first person to reply was met with your hostility and insults because you interpreted their one word response as sarcasm.

None of that makes me want to give this video a chance and it certainly doesn't say to me that you'd be interested in a discourse if I did.


I agree


Okay, but then you misunderstand the intent, and furthermore you likely misunderstand why you are wrong to agree.

You are as free to speak your mind as anyone else is free to ignore you speaking.

Understand now? Is there something I should clarify, because listening to skeptics is a risky business. There are smart ones out there, but there are also skeptics that are skeptical as to the shape of the earth and if it is flat or not....

Should you be paying any attention to them? I would argue that you should ignore them.

Also, I love how people throw the word Ad-hominems around.

If they had a valid point they wouldn't be using words like ad-hominems to defend themselves with.Not only that, the way they use it, It's pretty much the equivilant of saying "nuh uh, your point isn't valid because I don't like it, so im not listening, lalalalalalala" Or something akin to it. They use it wrong of course, and their misuse of it leads to people not understanding the term properly. Or how it's not always a bad thing.

From wikipedia

"However, in some cases, ad hominem attacks can be non-fallacious; i.e., if the attack on the character of the person is directly tackling the argument itself. For example, if the truth of the argument relies on the truthfulness of the person making the argument—rather than known facts—then pointing out that the person has previously lied is not a fallacious argument."

As I was. Directly tackling the argument itself, which to the untrained eye looks like an attack on people, but rather I am pointing out the people that the argument involves, thus attacking the argument not the people.

This is yet another way that post-modernists try to sideline discussions that are damaging to their perceived "progress".

People who shout Ad hominem to things they don't agree with might as well be short hand for "You should probably just ignore me."
2064 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M / Sacramento, CA
Offline
Posted 7/31/17 , edited 7/31/17
I gotta say,you are doing a terrible job selling this guy to people. Saying if you disagree with him you are an idiot is not going to make people want to watch his video. First off, if I do agree with him, why should I sit through two hours of bs just to hear a bunch of stuff I already know and agree with? I'm not learning anything from that so I would just be watching it so I can feel intellectually superior to those that do disagree with him. And if I do disagree with him, well apparently I'm an idiot and I wouldn't "get it" anyway. So again what's the point?

I'm not saying I agree or disagree with anything said in the video. Honestly, you did such a poor job selling it, I didn't bother to waste the two hours watching it to find out. Perhaps the man is a genius and his video should be watched by everyone, but your condescending attitude makes me think there are better, more constructive ways to waste the next two hours of my life.
8492 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / One of the few lo...
Offline
Posted 7/31/17 , edited 7/31/17

qwueri wrote:


AsukaAyanami wrote:

Your post alone makes it sound like you are trying to sell us on something that you anticipate we will be suspicious of. Red flag.

You say the person in this video might seem stupid to some of us, but this guy says those people, the kind that think he is stupid, are the kind we should all be ignoring. That is a roundabout way of restating that this guy thinks the opposition to this argument is incorrect, duh. But thinking we shouldn't listen to people that might think he is stupid does not invite discourse, nor does it inspire anything but skepticism. If you have a strong position you aren't running around insulting the intelligence of the people that disagree with you. If your point is strong you should be able to make it without ad-hominens.

The first person to reply was met with your hostility and insults because you interpreted their one word response as sarcasm.

None of that makes me want to give this video a chance and it certainly doesn't say to me that you'd be interested in a discourse if I did.


I got the same impression. The OP is highly reminiscent of some of the shady door-to-door sales people I've come across. Talk about how great the product is without explicitly listing any reasons or credentials that could be checked out without further investment of time, preemptively demeaning skepticism with attacks on status and intelligence, and generally just priming the audience to view what's being sold before revealing what it is.

I question what discussion value there is in the OP. Despite paragraphs, it all sums up to: "Watch the link, if you disagree with it you should be ignored, and agree with this guy because he's smarter than you." If the OP can't even summarize what the video is, the entire value of the thread seems to be advertising the link.


I love how this has turned into a discussion about my (miss) perceived intent... First of all, you are wrong about many of the things you said. I mentioned his qualifications by mentioning how he sticks to his guns. Clinical Psychology and Philosophy. He's also a professor at the U of T, which you would have found out if you had actually watched the video instead of deciding to take part in the ridiculousness that is you dweebs not understanding the main words... watch the video.

All you gotta do is watch the video. maybe I spoke too much, I admit. But I felt it necessary for whatever reason to make my view on it clear, yet somehow you people still managed to ... I am not sure how... Fuck that up too?

Good job nimrods....

I was not trying to sell him... he doesn't need that from me. I was trying to explain that if you are going to be one of the many to just plain up disagree with him, you are probably the same type that everyone should be ignoring.

Essentially I'm saying that if you don't agree with him, your opinions are highly invalid. Sorry to say.

But instead of taking part in the thread as it was intended, you and your buddies decide to attack me instead through sarcasm, idiocy and all the etc I come to expect from a bunch of dumb left wing ideologues.

You say:

"I question what discussion value there is in the OP. Despite paragraphs, it all sums up to: "Watch the link, if you disagree with it you should be ignored, and agree with this guy because he's smarter than you." If the OP can't even summarize what the video is, the entire value of the thread seems to be advertising the link"

Well one, if you and the others had read it all thoroughly you would have seen the part where I mentioned that IF YOU DISAGREE WITH HIM, bring sources.

Not because he is smarter than you, even though he probably is, but because he is already the one who IS RIGHT. Actually and factually right. So if you disagree with him, bring sources, because if you don't, then you do deserve to be ignored. Because you ignored the very thing that was asked of you. To bring fucking sources.

How hard is that to understand?

Don't answer. Im still getting replies from a growing number of people who have a hard time understanding apparently. Already on 5 now. I think. Let me count again, don't wait around for me.

Oh, and one last thing... "If the OP can't even summarize what the video is, the entire value of the thread seems to be advertising the link"

Because some things are best watched without said summary. If I had provided it, many would probably just not read it anyways, and those who did, would probably just not watch the video, as many did not so far.

Really, like I said to the first person to reply. Your replies thus far paint you for exactly the person you are.

And I've seen many of your replies in the past qwueri. This post was made specifically for people JUST like you. You really should watch it. You would probably learn something for once.

-edit- Ahahahahhahaha.... another report to the mods. Assuming they care, why should they? Im only calling people out on their BS, which shouldn't be hurtful unless its true, in which case that's not really my bloody problem, nor is it the mods problem.

Learn to fight your own battles children.

First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.