First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
Post Reply Should a person who is suffering from a terminal illness be able to end their life?
643 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / F / Maine
Offline
Posted 8/5/17 , edited 8/7/17
The right to die can be controversial. However, the death with dignity act is already in place in 5 states. This law gives people end of life options (physician assisted euthanasia) with strong safeguards against abuse. Should a person who is suffering from a terminal illness be able to end their life?

Personally, I think you should be able to. We euthanize our pets when they get a terminal illness or are old and suffering. If my grandmother had a terminal illness and wanted to end her life- she should be able to do so with the assistance of her physician. If I found out I had an inoperable brain tumor and given a few months to live, same.

Some argue; there is an ethical dilemma in regards to physician's sworn obligation to the Hippocratic oath. Assisted euthanasia/suicide clearly conflicts with this moral obligation since it is an act to end the patient's bodily life.

What do you guys think?
12180 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
49 / M / New England, USA
Offline
Posted 8/5/17 , edited 8/6/17
I used to think this was a simple decision to make but lately more factors have come in to complicate it for me. While a dying person may find it easy to let go, those around them may be more interested in spending more minutes/hours with the person before they go. Then, on the other side of the coin, there may be families that may try to push ill patients over the edge due to wanting more of the person's money before the doctors/hospitals get to it.While they promise strong safeguards, I wouldn't rely on any Doctor to deliver on what they promise. Just look at all the lawsuits aimed at Doctor's today for medical errors and prescribing unsafe medications. If they were trustworthy many of these lawsuits wouldn't exist.
5750 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / A garbage bin.
Offline
Posted 8/5/17
Yes.
643 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / F / Maine
Offline
Posted 8/5/17

neugenx wrote:

I used to think this was a simple decision to make but lately more factors have come in to complicate it for me. While a dying person may find it easy to let go, those around them may be more interested in spending more minutes/hours with the person before they go. Then, on the other side of the coin, there may be families that may try to push ill patients over the edge due to wanting more of the person's money before the doctors/hospitals get to it.While they promise strong safeguards, I wouldn't rely on any Doctor to deliver on what they promise. Just look at all the lawsuits aimed at Doctor's today for medical errors and prescribing unsafe medications. If they were trustworthy many of these lawsuits wouldn't exist.


Fair enough. I agree there are a lot of factors to take into consideration. I do think it should be an available option/choice. As it stands now, it is reserved for terminally ill patients who are mentally competent. I work in healthcare and when I took my medical morals & ethics course, I could not believe how many lawsuits there were and moral dilemmas. Pharmacology is a huge business and unfortunately, there are many medications that people do not need but are prescribed anyway. On the flip side, medicine has been very helpful too.
1985 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
In my straight ja...
Offline
Posted 8/5/17
You have the right to living will so I guess I don't see why that can't be a choice to.
2331 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / Cat / Capsule Hotel
Offline
Posted 8/5/17
Yes, I support assisted suicide. My country already allows such a thing.
8622 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
17 / F / London, England
Offline
Posted 8/5/17
I see no problem with it. Why drag on someone's suffering any longer?
3296 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M
Offline
Posted 8/5/17 , edited 8/5/17

chaoticnerdum wrote:

The right to die can be controversial. However, the death with dignity act is already in place in 5 states. This law gives people end of life options (physician assisted euthanasia) with strong safeguards against abuse. Should a person who is suffering from a terminal illness be able to end their life?

Personally, I think you should be able to. We euthanize our pets when they get a terminal illness or are old and suffering. If my grandmother had a terminal illness and wanted to end her life- she should be able to do so with the assistance of her physician. If I found out I had an inoperable brain tumor and given a few months to live, same. There is an ethical dilemma here in regards to physician's sworn obligation to the Hippocratic oath. Assisted euthanasia/suicide clearly conflicts with this moral obligation since it is an act to end the patient's bodily life.

What do you guys think?


Why? Doesn't bother the doctors one iota that they murder 125,000 innocent babies in the most horrifically disgusting ways each and every day, why should they care about killing old/terminal people? http://www.worldometers.info/abortions/

extreme facecious aside (and apologies for that), it's kinda simple. We have the obligation and right to be responsible for ourselves, that includes choosing how we live and die. Naturally...there is a -massive- amount of detail, side-arguments, and pros/cons I'm not saying, but it basically boils down to our freedom to decide for ourselves. That's what makes America, America.
643 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / F / Maine
Offline
Posted 8/5/17

Archeris wrote:


chaoticnerdum wrote:

The right to die can be controversial. However, the death with dignity act is already in place in 5 states. This law gives people end of life options (physician assisted euthanasia) with strong safeguards against abuse. Should a person who is suffering from a terminal illness be able to end their life?

Personally, I think you should be able to. We euthanize our pets when they get a terminal illness or are old and suffering. If my grandmother had a terminal illness and wanted to end her life- she should be able to do so with the assistance of her physician. If I found out I had an inoperable brain tumor and given a few months to live, same. There is an ethical dilemma here in regards to physician's sworn obligation to the Hippocratic oath. Assisted euthanasia/suicide clearly conflicts with this moral obligation since it is an act to end the patient's bodily life.

What do you guys think?


Why? Doesn't bother the doctors one iota that they murder 125,000 innocent babies in the most horrifically disgusting ways each and every day, why should they care about killing old/terminal people? http://www.worldometers.info/abortions/

extreme facecious aside (and apologies for that), it's kinda simple. We have the obligation and right to be responsible for ourselves, that includes choosing how we live and die. Naturally...there is a -massive- amount of detail, side-arguments, and pros/cons I'm not saying, but it basically boils down to our freedom to decide for ourselves. That's what makes America, America.


I'm pro-choice in every regard. The freedom to choose. I didn't make it very clear, I should have prefaced with: this is a statement that is brought up often in regard to this issue and may be one of the reasons more states have not followed suit in passing this death with dignity law. I get what you're saying though.
3878 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Wherever
Offline
Posted 8/5/17
If they give it plenty thought and decide thats what they want to do, it should be up to them, and them alone. That being said I only believe that if death is inevitable like with the aforementioned terminal illnesses.
-OlE- 
362 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23
Offline
Posted 8/5/17 , edited 8/6/17
no
force them to suffer longer in order to assuage my moral misgivings over assisted suicide
2162 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 8/5/17
Once you can no longer function at an acceptable level, you should be able to end your life.
47914 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 8/5/17
If it is terminal, and especially if they are in pain, then yes. Their death is a foregone conclusion. The only thing that forcing them to live out the time "naturally" would do is cause unnecessary suffering.

But, of course, people hate to confront their own mortality, so dying people have to suffer for it, lest people have to actually think about these things.
34659 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / U.S.A.
Offline
Posted 8/5/17
Yes. Period.
20206 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M
Offline
Posted 8/5/17

XxDarkSasuxX wrote:

Yes. Period.


No.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.