First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
Post Reply IT Forensics Shoots Major Holes In Theory That Russia Hacked the DNC
lawdog 
44871 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 8/12/17 , edited 8/13/17
https://www.thenation.com/article/a-new-report-raises-big-questions-about-last-years-dnc-hack/

Leftist Magazine The Nation has published an extensive article by Patrick Lawrence which shoots major holes in the theory that Russia hacked the DNC.. It also pokes big holes in the notion that Guccifer 2.0 hacked the DNC.

Essentially it comes down to two major areas: data transfer rate and time/date stamps.

Lawrence concludes from the forensics analysis that there was no hack: It was an inside leak. The data transfer occurred at a speed which was impossible for internet service providers to do over even a short distance, even today, to say nothing of what speed would need to be maintained if the DNC was being hacked from Russia or Romania.

However, the data transfer speed is exactly what it would be if the data was being transferred to a thumb drive, Further, the time/date stamps show that the download took place to somewhere in the Eastern Time Zone.

Meaning: The leak was an inside job.

Forensics have now had a crack at Guccifer 2.0's metadata, and it shows that the metadata was altered and deliberately pasted into a Russianified Word Document.

The article does not address what might have happened to the thumb drive with the leaked data once it departed the premises of the DNC on July 5, 2016, so it's always possible that it ended up in Russian hands before it was given to Wikileaks and Julian Assange.

But from my reading and interpretation of the article, the forensics firmly shifts matters back into Wikileaks version which has been completely consistent throughout: That they received the leaked infor from a source inside the DNC. It is now crystal clear that, in fact, that is what happened, though the path from inside the DNC to Wikileaks remains unknown.

My own opinion is that it is unlikely that a DNC insider gave this to the Russians, or at least knowingly gave this to the Russians. It strikes me that there is now a 90% possibility that this info was given directly to a Wikileaks source (whether the source gave anything to the Russians, unknown).

This reporting is not the work of any members of any Trump fan club. Those involved with the forensics are respected professionals, many of whom are leftists who are former members of the intelligence community, and, therefore, no fans of Trump.
Ejanss 
16663 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 8/12/17 , edited 8/12/17

lawdog wrote:This reporting is not the work of any members of any Trump fan club. Those involved with the forensics are respected professionals, many of whom are leftists who are former members of the intelligence community, and, therefore, no fans of Trump.


Although, of course, the impeachment issue isn't whether Russia COULD hack the DNC, it's about whether Trump ASKED them to. (Since he believes hackers are everywhere and can do everything, just like on TV. )
Conspiracy to Commit Treason isn't exactly a slap on the wrist either.
md4124 
50351 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 8/12/17 , edited 8/13/17
Just using the word "leftist" shows that you are incredibly biased and most likely another paid conservative troll.
989 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 8/12/17 , edited 8/13/17

md4124 wrote:

Just using the word "leftist" shows that you are incredibly biased and most likely another paid conservative troll.


That's exactly what's going on.

They're desperate to try to lie as much as possible, or find distractions and make it try to go away.

Meanwhile the investigation continues.
20206 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M
Offline
Posted 8/12/17 , edited 8/12/17
Organ playing in the background*

dun dun dun
cirby1 
45356 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 8/12/17

Ejanss wrote:


lawdog wrote:This reporting is not the work of any members of any Trump fan club. Those involved with the forensics are respected professionals, many of whom are leftists who are former members of the intelligence community, and, therefore, no fans of Trump.


Although, of course, the impeachment issue isn't whether Russia COULD hack the DNC, it's about whether Trump ASKED them to. (Since he believes hackers are everywhere and can do everything, just like on TV. )
Conspiracy to Commit Treason isn't exactly a slap on the wrist either.


...and since there has been exactly zero evidence that Trump did any such thing, he's off the hook.

So far, there hasn't been much of anything there, as far as evidence. The whole "Trump-Russia collaboration" thing was based on "hacking by Russians," which just went out the window.

Remember, the "Trump dossier," which supposedly showed Putin had blackmail material on Trump? It was "found" by a company that has worked for the Democrats for years - and they have a stinky reputation.

Basically, the Democrats lost, looked around for a reason, and made up the Trump-Russia thing because they were trying to use old Cold War fears to get at least a few Republicans to support them. It failed pretty miserably.
859 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / PA, USA
Offline
Posted 8/12/17 , edited 8/12/17

21stCenturyGemini wrote:

That's exactly what's going on.

They're desperate to try to lie as much as possible, or find distractions and make it try to go away.

Meanwhile the investigation continues.


I'm pretty sure that md4124 just has double-standards and/or is more interested in picking a fight, considering that he's saying that the OP is a paid troll (with ambiguous resons), not that the sources are corrupt.
19897 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 8/12/17 , edited 8/12/17

md4124 wrote:

Just using the word "leftist" shows that you are incredibly biased and most likely another paid conservative troll.


I think it's cute you believe there are "paid conservative trolls" on Crunchyroll. :D

Thanks, I needed that laugh.


Cardamom_Ginger wrote:


21stCenturyGemini wrote:

That's exactly what's going on.

They're desperate to try to lie as much as possible, or find distractions and make it try to go away.

Meanwhile the investigation continues.


I'm pretty sure that md4124 just has double-standards and/or is more interested in picking a fight, considering that he's saying that the OP is a paid troll (with ambiguous resons), not that the sources are corrupt.


This
lawdog 
44871 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 8/12/17 , edited 8/12/17

md4124 wrote:

Just using the word "leftist" shows that you are incredibly biased and most likely another paid conservative troll.


Paid?

I wish.

Troll? No. Truth.

No, I was using the definition accurately: The Nation is indeed a leftist magazine. Always has been. My reason for using it? There, you're so far off the rails it's hysterically funny. I so described it to point out that this was not a media outlet inclined to be friendly to Trump.
1807 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / M / Valhalla
Offline
Posted 8/12/17 , edited 8/12/17

md4124 wrote:

Just using the word "leftist" shows that you are incredibly biased and most likely another paid conservative troll.


"another paid conservative troll."LOL
37091 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F
Offline
Posted 8/12/17
I can accept the DNC leaks not having been carried out by the Russian government or third party actors employed thereby. I'm more immediately concerned with the content of the leaks than who it is that leaked anyway. Assuming Russia did in fact perpetrate the leaks the lesson is for the USA's political institutions to bolster their cybersecurity measures in the future. That's not controversial. It's not where the interesting part lies. That would be the systemic misconduct revealed by the leaks. That's where the beef is, and that's why I've been talking about that instead for nearly a year now.
Ejanss 
16663 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 8/12/17 , edited 8/12/17

Kelgair wrote:


md4124 wrote:

Just using the word "leftist" shows that you are incredibly biased and most likely another paid conservative troll.


I think it's cute you believe there are "paid conservative trolls" on Crunchyroll. :D


Yeah, everyone knows they do it for free!


Ejanss wrote:Although, of course, the impeachment issue isn't whether Russia COULD hack the DNC, it's about whether Trump ASKED them to. (Since he believes hackers are everywhere and can do everything, just like on TV. )


Okay, maybe not like "on TV", but c'mon, Angelina Jolie did it in that 90's movie he saw on cable!

And what about Matthew Broderick, or Sandra Bullock in "The Net"?--She could dig up all of Hillary's e-mails in five minutes, from a laptop in her hotel room, while eating a cute little cup of Haagen-Dasz!
467 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / M
Offline
Posted 8/12/17 , edited 8/12/17

BlueOni wrote:

I can accept the DNC leaks not having been carried out by the Russian government or third party actors employed thereby. I'm more immediately concerned with the content of the leaks than who it is that leaked anyway. Assuming Russia did in fact perpetrate the leaks the lesson is for the USA's political institutions to bolster their cybersecurity measures in the future. That's not controversial. It's not where the interesting part lies. That would be the systemic misconduct revealed by the leaks. That's where the beef is, and that's why I've been talking about that instead for nearly a year now.


I agree we should bolster better cyber security measures in our political and governmental institutions.

I think the first thing to do is have a preventive measure. One preventive measure maybe is not using your personal server. And then bleach bit it when you are under investigation.
989 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 8/12/17 , edited 8/12/17

OneEyedDragon wrote:


BlueOni wrote:

I can accept the DNC leaks not having been carried out by the Russian government or third party actors employed thereby. I'm more immediately concerned with the content of the leaks than who it is that leaked anyway. Assuming Russia did in fact perpetrate the leaks the lesson is for the USA's political institutions to bolster their cybersecurity measures in the future. That's not controversial. It's not where the interesting part lies. That would be the systemic misconduct revealed by the leaks. That's where the beef is, and that's why I've been talking about that instead for nearly a year now.


I agree we should bolster better cyber security measures in our political and governmental institutions.

I think the first thing to do is have a preventive measure. One preventive measure maybe is not using your personal server. And then bleach bit it when you are under investigation.


I suppose you can always fire the lead investigator leading an investigation against you. That seems to be the more acceptable route according to a subset of sycophants.

In the meanwhile 2018 is on the horizon. 2020 as well. And while we're still denying either servers or election software was hacked, absolutely nothing is being done to prevent a likely repeat in future elections.
35693 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 8/12/17
If you actually sift through all the rambling hot air of the article the actual "proof" offered is coming from an anonymous source named the "Forensicator" who claims to have secret access to Guccifer's files that no one else has which only he is able to "unlock". Which he has analyzed the "layers" of "metadata" of. Which then indicate the transfer speed was supposedly too fast for the interwebs.

A second anonymous source concurs with the first. Then a third anonymous source totally confirms the documents were made to look Russian.

As for the internet speed thing, it is not unobtainable. Especially for a large organization that likely has a fiber connection like the DNC. It also doesn't help that he doesn't reveal the speed or connection he did his own test at and ignored that by his own linked sources Verizon fiber easily obtains the upload speed needed 3 times over.

So yeah, I'm still going to side on the overwhelming opinion of the US intelligence community instead of the "Forensicator" and his supposed secret files only he has.








First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.