First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
More Heroines in Animation.
Posted 8/13/17 , edited 8/13/17
I'm not talking about Demi-human or secondary protagonists. But i am curious as to what people think about primary female leads in animation. Two major examples are the majority of Hayao Miyazaki's films and some major anime productions such as SA) (although that constitutes as secondary). Personally i am an animator outside of crunchyroll, so as to PR issues i like to hear what the community likes in terms of a show and how open they are to new ideas.



MrOnan 
4420 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M
Offline
Posted 8/13/17 , edited 8/13/17
This is just my personal preference, but i'm all for female leads as long as they:

A) More than just fan service, not saying they can't be sexy or attractive, Think Artoria from Fate Zero. A well designed character is always important and helps the character be memorable.

B) They are capable of emotion, Lightning from FF13 is often criticized as how not to do it. Korra from Avatar is a good example of it, she shows fear, feelings of love, and anxiety, and many more emotions at different points during her show.

C) Lastly they need to be likable, because after all if they are the main heroine you gotta be able to get in their corner rooting for them.
7580 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
42 / M / California
Offline
Posted 8/13/17 , edited 8/13/17
Im all for female leads!! Gunsmith Cats, Dirty Pair, Noir. I would like to see more female lead mecha pilots, this to me is what is lacking in anime.
107491 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / This Dying World
Offline
Posted 8/13/17 , edited 8/13/17
Is there a hidden agenda or genuinely want more heroines?
22110 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / New York
Online
Posted 8/13/17 , edited 8/14/17
A female MC action heroine would be awesome. I vote for Himiko Natsuno of Dangan Tenshi Fan Club.



27140 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / Prison
Online
Posted 8/13/17 , edited 8/14/17
I do not think being sexually attractive is demeaning at all, nor is being desiring of a relationship.

Yes, I am referencing how not to do a female character like Jailbreak from The Emoji Movie. Fucking sigh. It did everything wrong.
801 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M
Offline
Posted 8/13/17 , edited 8/14/17
Hasn't their already been a ton of them coming out these days? The Centaurs Life, New Game, Dragon Maid, etc, but if you mean action type anime then you are right as there hasn't really been much besides Witch Academia (haven't watched it but I think it counts?).
36437 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 8/13/17 , edited 8/14/17
how about Slayers? Lina inverse mage extraordinaire and dragon spooker!

I can also recconed Michiko and Hatchi with 2 very kick ass female protagonists http://www.crunchyroll.com/michiko-hatchin


that all I can think of off the top of my head..


7889 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 8/13/17 , edited 8/14/17
Heroine, as in female lead in action/adventure/battle series? There's some this season. From what I watch, there are a bunch of magical girls, Eleanor from the Reflection, Kukuri from Magical Circle Guru-Guru, and Chidori from Ninja Girl & Samurai Master. Chidori has rather extreme body count. I'm not watching everything so there's probably more. In terms of all shows I'm watching, there's approximately a 55% male to 45% female leads ratio.

Boku no Hero Academia has loads of heroines. Though they aren't the lead, they get decent screen time (particularly Uraraka and Tsuyu).
7571 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 8/14/17 , edited 8/15/17
Generally, I tend to like action-oriented female characters that impress me with physical abilities and a bad attitude, like Revy from Black Lagoon.

Shiki Ryougi from Kara no Kyoukai is another one of my favorites, a very heavy-duty woman with rough edges but some little displays of affection from time to time

Having a character design that incorporates traits like a hairstyle, outfit and physical attributes I personally find attractive goes a long way towards waifu status as well


curr0001 wrote:
how about Slayers? Lina inverse mage extraordinaire and dragon spooker!

+1 Lina really won me over with her forceful personality and indomitable will.

...Well, looking back on what I've written I guess it all boils down to 'I like tsunderes'


arnold5000 wrote:

Im all for female leads!! Gunsmith Cats, Dirty Pair, Noir. I would like to see more female lead mecha pilots, this to me is what is lacking in anime.



Have you seen anything in the Patlabor franchise? It's female protagonist Noa is a mecha pilot.
Ztaxas 
112 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / Miami
Offline
Posted 8/14/17 , edited 8/14/17
Don't see a problem with it, what I would like to see is a female mc in an adventure anime more so than action, think Grandblue Fantasia but with Djeeta


MrOnan wrote:

This is just my personal preference, but i'm all for female leads as long as they:

A) More than just fan service, not saying they can't be sexy or attractive, Think Artoria from Fate Zero. A well designed character is always important and helps the character be memorable.

B) They are capable of emotion, Lightning from FF13 is often criticized as how not to do it. Korra from Avatar is a good example of it, she shows fear, feelings of love, and anxiety, and many more emotions at different points during her show.

C) Lastly they need to be likable, because after all if they are the main heroine you gotta be able to get in their corner rooting for them.


As far as I can tell, Saber (Arturia) from Fate/Zero is pure fanservice in the Visual Novels (the ones the anime are based on), but you can't expect much from VN's now, can you?
28398 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
53 / M / Bay Area
Offline
Posted 8/14/17 , edited 8/14/17
Girl beats boys was excellent last season I just wish it was longer than 8 minutes an episode. She kicked every dudes ass in her way.
eat
45628 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 8/14/17 , edited 8/14/17
In my opinion if there's an anime and its manga that do female "action heroes" right it's Claymore. I could write pages and pages on how even the side characters are well-done. It's a shame the franchise doesn't get more attention.
27140 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / Prison
Online
Posted 8/14/17 , edited 8/14/17

Ztaxas wrote:

Don't see a problem with it, what I would like to see is a female mc in an adventure anime more so than action, think Grandblue Fantasia but with Djeeta


MrOnan wrote:

This is just my personal preference, but i'm all for female leads as long as they:

A) More than just fan service, not saying they can't be sexy or attractive, Think Artoria from Fate Zero. A well designed character is always important and helps the character be memorable.

B) They are capable of emotion, Lightning from FF13 is often criticized as how not to do it. Korra from Avatar is a good example of it, she shows fear, feelings of love, and anxiety, and many more emotions at different points during her show.

C) Lastly they need to be likable, because after all if they are the main heroine you gotta be able to get in their corner rooting for them.


As far as I can tell, Saber (Arturia) from Fate/Zero is pure fanservice in the Visual Novels (the ones the anime are based on), but you can't expect much from VN's now, can you?


Fate/Zero and Fate Stay Night are vastly different, with Fate Stay Night being the original work with Fate/Zero being the prequel. That being said, it is a pretty accurate moniker, especially with UBW or Rin's route. (Yes, you heard right, the Visual Novels operate more akin to a dating sim if anything)

It is also an eroge, where graphic sex scenes are present, and on the first route where she is the heroine, Saber engages in intercourse with Shirou many times, with even lesbian foreplay with Rin. Of course, these are more plot relevant, but still.

As for Saber's character, she embodies a similar type of meaningless martyrdom to Shirou that the latter tries to break her out of, but it is nowhere near to the complexity of Saber in Zero, and in the visual novel, is commonly regarded as the worst of the three routes.

Heck, I think as a whole, Fate/Zero made Saber an anime icon, honestly.
MrOnan 
4420 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M
Offline
Posted 8/14/17 , edited 8/14/17


Yea Fate/Stay Night was originally an Eroge, so that would make sense, but with the fan service comes a great character too, hence my first point, more than just fan service.
First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.