First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  Next  Last
The Charlottesville Riots
1079 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 8/14/17 , edited 8/15/17

encrypted12345 wrote:


octorockandroll wrote:

I underlined how Lee was notable only for fighting against civil rights while the others you mentioned may have done similarly shitty things, but were notable for other reasons. What part of that is not a clear answer to you? Nobody celebrates the founding fathers for killing aboriginals or owning slaves, they do so for founding the country they currently live in. To compare people doing that in spite of the shitty shit those people did to opposing the celebration of someone who is celebrated for his shitty shit is a false equivalence.


Right or wrong, General Lee fought for his home state of Virginia. Fighting for your homeland and neighbors is a righteous thing in and of itself, even if it meant also fighting for slavery.



This is one way to excuse humanity behaving like barbarians.

"Oh well, I was righteous! Sure we're raping and killing and holding people in slavery from birth to death... but I was fighting for this dirt on the soil!"

As if the dirt on the ground means more than human life.

In addition, the south started the war. It only turned defensive because they were the weaker side with less resources.

The logic that you highlighted would basically absolve all nazi SS and gestapo soldiers. All the murder and barbaric acts and ultimately genocide is ok... so long as you're fighting for dirt on the ground.
20208 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Offline
Posted 8/14/17 , edited 8/15/17

octorockandroll wrote:


riverjustice wrote:


octorockandroll wrote:


riverjustice wrote:

You still didn't answer the question.


I underlined how Lee was notable only for fighting against civil rights while the others you mentioned may have done similarly shitty things, but were notable for other reasons. What part of that is not a clear answer to you? Nobody celebrates the founding fathers for killing aboriginals or owning slaves, they do so for founding the country they currently live in. To compare people doing that in spite of the shitty shit those people did to opposing the celebration of someone who is celebrated for his shitty shit is a false equivalence.


Here's the problem with that logic. You cannot actually quantify only qualify which horrors is worse than the other. I would say murder is the ultimate horror but someone way disagree me that it's rape. Trying to justify which horror is worse than the other is just a matter of opinion. Nothing more and nothing less.


This has fuck all to do with which horror is worse. It does, however, have to do with celebrating someone because they committed a horror. That is bad, no matter how you try to spin it. People don't go to the Lincoln memorial and say "This guy was really inspiring because he owned slaves." They talk about the good he did, like, you know, freeing the fucking slaves. Now if you want to make the argument that Lee is celebrated for things other than fighting for slavery, then you would be providing an actual counterpoint. You would still be wrong, but you'd be in the right ballpark at least.


Lincoln is just as horrible as Robert E. Lee. He wanted to deport the blacks to south america.

Here's one of his quotes: Our republican system was meant for a homogeneous people. As long as blacks continue to live with the whites they constitute a threat to the national life. Family life may also collapse and the increase of mixed breed bastards may some day challenge the supremacy of the white man.

Here is a brief history that he wanted deported blacks out of america: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/northamerica/usa/8319858/Abraham-Lincoln-wanted-to-deport-slaves-to-new-colonies.html

Here's Lincoln's quarterly about deporting them: http://quod.lib.umich.edu/a/alajournals/0599998.0006.003/41?page=root;size=100;view=text

Might as well take out Lincoln's statue for being a racist.
18211 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M
Offline
Posted 8/14/17 , edited 8/15/17
One side was full of Neo Nazis and the other antifa, two groups of assholes I would not want to be associated with.

Media seems to be focusing on the Neo Nazis because they have to find someway to bash and associate Trump with them and make it his fault. Unfortunately this is what happens when two groups of extremist meet, fuck both of them.
12145 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Winnipeg, MB.
Offline
Posted 8/14/17 , edited 8/15/17

riverjustice wrote:


octorockandroll wrote:


riverjustice wrote:


octorockandroll wrote:


riverjustice wrote:

You still didn't answer the question.


I underlined how Lee was notable only for fighting against civil rights while the others you mentioned may have done similarly shitty things, but were notable for other reasons. What part of that is not a clear answer to you? Nobody celebrates the founding fathers for killing aboriginals or owning slaves, they do so for founding the country they currently live in. To compare people doing that in spite of the shitty shit those people did to opposing the celebration of someone who is celebrated for his shitty shit is a false equivalence.


Here's the problem with that logic. You cannot actually quantify only qualify which horrors is worse than the other. I would say murder is the ultimate horror but someone way disagree me that it's rape. Trying to justify which horror is worse than the other is just a matter of opinion. Nothing more and nothing less.


This has fuck all to do with which horror is worse. It does, however, have to do with celebrating someone because they committed a horror. That is bad, no matter how you try to spin it. People don't go to the Lincoln memorial and say "This guy was really inspiring because he owned slaves." They talk about the good he did, like, you know, freeing the fucking slaves. Now if you want to make the argument that Lee is celebrated for things other than fighting for slavery, then you would be providing an actual counterpoint. You would still be wrong, but you'd be in the right ballpark at least.


Lincoln is just as horrible as Robert E. Lee. He wanted to deport the blacks to south america.

Here's one of his quotes: Our republican system was meant for a homogeneous people. As long as blacks continue to live with the whites they constitute a threat to the national life. Family life may also collapse and the increase of mixed breed bastards may some day challenge the supremacy of the white man.

Here is a brief history that he wanted deported blacks out of america: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/northamerica/usa/8319858/Abraham-Lincoln-wanted-to-deport-slaves-to-new-colonies.html

Here's Lincoln's quarterly about deporting them: http://quod.lib.umich.edu/a/alajournals/0599998.0006.003/41?page=root;size=100;view=text

Might as well take out Lincoln's statue for being a racist.


The point isn't who was or wasn't a racist, the point is that its bad to celebrate racist actions, and that you can celebrate good actions performed by people who also performed racist ones. How many times do I need to reiterate it before you get it through your head.
12145 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Winnipeg, MB.
Offline
Posted 8/14/17 , edited 8/15/17

jasonvorheas24 wrote:
Media seems to be focusing on the Neo Nazis because they have to find someway to bash and associate Trump with them and make it his fault.


Yeah that's definitely the only reason the media is focusing on the nazis, it has nothing to do with the fact that the nazis were running people over in cars.
21915 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / F
Offline
Posted 8/14/17 , edited 8/15/17
EVERYTHING IS RACIST
Posted 8/14/17 , edited 8/15/17

21stCenturyGemini wrote:
All the murder and barbaric acts and ultimately genocide is ok... so long as you're fighting for dirt on the ground.


Well, throughout history if you weren't fighting for the dirt on the ground you were the people getting removed from history, whether it be through genocide or interbreeding. To paraphrase Gone with the Wind, land is the only thing that matters, its the only thing that lasts.
Posted 8/14/17 , edited 8/15/17

jasonvorheas24 wrote:

One side was full of Neo Nazis and the other antifa, two groups of assholes I would not want to be associated with.

Media seems to be focusing on the Neo Nazis because they have to find someway to bash and associate Trump with them and make it his fault. Unfortunately this is what happens when two groups of extremist meet, fuck both of them.

Watch the video on the first page. Antifa is overhyped about as much as (((SOROS))) by the right. This is nazis vs. civilians.
1079 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 8/14/17 , edited 8/15/17

jasonvorheas24 wrote:

One side was full of Neo Nazis and the other antifa, two groups of assholes I would not want to be associated with.

Media seems to be focusing on the Neo Nazis because they have to find someway to bash and associate Trump with them and make it his fault. Unfortunately this is what happens when two groups of extremist meet, fuck both of them.


How many concentration camps has antifa run in its history? What's the third reich equivalent of antifa.

It's like you put two groups on a scale and one destroys the scale and the other one is just sitting on it and you're concluding "both sides are the same".

Antifa is definitely not the same as people marching through Virginia with nazi flags and heiling hitler and chanting nazi slogans.

There is no way to logically argue they're both equal.
Posted 8/14/17 , edited 8/15/17
You have my blessings warriors. I look forward to the gladiatorial fight that is about to unravel in-front of me. And now it begins.
2036 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / Sacramento, CA
Offline
Posted 8/14/17 , edited 8/15/17

Blondiefesser wrote:

Men of all races,escpically whites,are pigs.
Dude, you can stop it already. Nobodies buying it.
20208 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Offline
Posted 8/14/17 , edited 8/15/17

octorockandroll wrote:

The point isn't who was or wasn't a racist, the point is that its bad to celebrate racist actions, and that you can celebrate good actions performed by people who also performed racist ones. How many times do I need to reiterate it before you get it through your head.


Even if that's your argument, someone who performed good acts does not take away the horrors that they committed. We can agree to disagree. But, that's just my opinion.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.