First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
Post Reply Toonami doesn't have the same impact now as it used to in the past
493 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M
Offline
Posted 8/19/17 , edited 8/19/17
And not just because it's rebooted as an Adult Swim block.

Years ago, in the late 90's and early 2000's, Toonami was among the most popular things in the world, rivaling other distributors of anime such as Fox Kids/Jetix, Kids WB, and the two 4Kids blocks. It was on weekday afternoons, and featured a ton of anime that the most hardcore otaku might be able to understand, but at the same time turn off mainstream audiences. I mean, Outlaw Star was aimed at a seinen audience, and yet it made its way on a block on Cartoon Network that could have otherwise heavily censored the living crap out of it! And all of it came during a time when VHS's and DVD's of anime were rare and expensive, and anime was primarily aimed at a niche audience.

Toonami also used to release Toonami Jetstream, which featured shows like Patlabor, Record of Lodoss War: Chronicles of the Heroic Knight, and Space Battleship Yamato/Star Blazers. What Williams Street -- the creator of Toonami -- didn't realize at the time was that, in the process of introducing internet streaming of anime, they kickstarted the very trend that would spell Toonami's doom. Nowadays, we have Crunchyroll, Funimation, Hulu, and Netflix to give us a lot more anime than Toonami could ever produce, whether back then or right now.

What do you think? As an Adult Swim block being taken over by internet streaming, do you think Toonami lost all signs of impact, as well?
16873 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 8/19/17 , edited 8/19/17
Toonami died when Tom went away. Then they brought in Fake Tom to try to drum up the nostalgics, but it didn't really work. But what really ruined it, more or less, was when they stopped doing the weekend bit where they showed movies.
1237 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 8/19/17 , edited 8/19/17

Commander_PonyShep wrote:

What do you think? As an Adult Swim block being taken over by internet streaming, do you think Toonami lost all signs of impact, as well?


Yeah, I don't watch anymore. I think all of television is being taken over by internet streaming though, not just Toonami. Like you said, if you wanted to watch anime in the U.S. (in the 90's or early 2000's) Toonami was practically your only option. There are far more options now so they were bound to lose viewers. Even still, early 2000's Toonami aired Tenchi...so I love them.



gornotck wrote:

Toonami died when Tom went away. Then they brought in Fake Tom to try to drum up the nostalgics, but it didn't really work. But what really ruined it, more or less, was when they stopped doing the weekend bit where they showed movies.


Which Tom was fake Tom? There were like 5 of them...and Moltar.

16873 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 8/19/17 , edited 8/20/17

SpaceJakey wrote:


Commander_PonyShep wrote:

What do you think? As an Adult Swim block being taken over by internet streaming, do you think Toonami lost all signs of impact, as well?


Yeah, I don't watch anymore. I think all of television is being taken over by internet streaming though, not just Toonami. Like you said, if you wanted to watch anime in the U.S. (in the 90's or early 2000's) Toonami was practically your only option. There are far more options now so they were bound to lose viewers. Even still, early 2000's Toonami aired Tenchi...so I love them.



gornotck wrote:

Toonami died when Tom went away. Then they brought in Fake Tom to try to drum up the nostalgics, but it didn't really work. But what really ruined it, more or less, was when they stopped doing the weekend bit where they showed movies.


Which Tom was fake Tom? There were like 5 of them...and Moltar.



Mm. TOM 1 and TOM 2 sounds like the "real" TOM. TOM 4 is not, and Tom 5 is definitely fake. I am not sure about TOM 3, so he can split the difference.
47594 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
35 / M
Offline
Posted 8/19/17 , edited 8/20/17
I see if they did like Toonami was like before where you had the daily block of anime from 2-4 but and older series but did like now a days with Saturday night with new series with more Mature themes and movies Toonami would be likely to draw people to TV.
xWCIZ 
21 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 8/19/17 , edited 8/20/17
I remember Toonami was what introduced me to Naruto, one of my first animes excluding Pokemon. CN has been making a lot of weird calls lately, I wish they would get better.
12257 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Chaldea Security...
Offline
Posted 8/19/17 , edited 8/20/17

xWCIZ wrote:

I remember Toonami was what introduced me to Naruto, one of my first animes excluding Pokemon. CN has been making a lot of weird calls lately, I wish they would get better.


Holy shit I feel old now lmao
Posted 8/19/17 , edited 8/20/17
Same. It introduced me to a lot of great shows back in the day.
1199 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M
Offline
Posted 8/19/17 , edited 8/20/17
Yes, toonami was huge back in the day because it was the easiest way to watch anime in America. Streaming has completely taken over that role.
1173 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M
Offline
Posted 8/19/17 , edited 8/20/17
There are a few shows left on Toonami that are worth watching, however, most of the time you can definitely find more stuff to watch through streaming online. That's what I've found. Though that's only if you're usually willing to go for subbed works more then dubbed works as that is what I feel Toonami has been and always will be. A place to show dubbed anime.
37603 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
33 / M / Bellingham WA, USA
Offline
Posted 8/19/17 , edited 8/20/17
Toonami was a raging success because it attracted the after school crowd in a pre internet streaming age.

Now? I just don't see why I would want to drop everything I'm doing at specific times like midnight or whenever, so I can tune into watch poorly dubbed anime series that I had already seen a year prior online. Then you add commercials to the mix and....just not going to happen.
36847 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 8/19/17 , edited 8/20/17
Try being a Canadian only anime on tv is Pokemon and Yugioh.

..and that crappy battling transforming card battling game. one..
28249 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
37 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 8/19/17 , edited 8/20/17
Toonami introduced me to anime, but CN is just full of shows that make me change the channel... some are satanic others are just too stupid to watch and some of the anime they do pick i don't care about like horror stuff.
15749 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / M / El Mirage, AZ
Offline
Posted 8/20/17 , edited 8/20/17
Just as video killed the radio star so too will streaming kill cable TV.

Toonami kind of died for me after I got a job and was able to buy different shows that would never air on TV. Sure I could have recorded it like I did when toonami aired before they switched from est to pst broadcast but there wasnt much I wanted to watch anymore.
61577 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
37 / M / Planet Sanno
Offline
Posted 8/20/17 , edited 8/24/17
Toonami played its role. I have good memories of watching Sailor Moon and DBZ – and, after a certain point, Gundam Wing and Tenchi Muyo – while watching my oldest nephew in the afternoons. The best time for me, though, was when they started airing old school Gundam (see: 08th MS Team and Gundam 0083) later at night.

These days, Toonami is a bit of an afterthought, since we live in the Age of Netflix and all that.
First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.