First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  Next  Last
Post Reply What is your IQ?
20208 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Offline
Posted 8/24/17

blobdred wrote:

Please, do not misunderstand. I said: _unless_you_learn_something_ == unless you use your brain , then it's just a fancy number.

It's like having a certain muscle type, but not doing any sports and only sitting on a couch, not doing any sports. If you do not use your potential, it is meaningless that you have said potential.

You are saying: To be able to perform on a certain level, you need to meet some prerequisites.

We are not in contradiction. You are expanding what I said.


Okay, it's just when I read your last sentence you had two different ideas. And with your statement about rising IQ, this is not an uncommon occurrence. People are also getting taller. Back around 300 B.C., it was said that Alexander the Great height was around 5'5'', which was the average height back then.

So what is the correlation between IQ and height, genetics. I might offend people here. And people can deny this all they want, but your ancestral ethnic background does matter in terms of height and IQ.
13328 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M
Offline
Posted 8/24/17

riverjustice wrote:


blobdred wrote:

Please, do not misunderstand. I said: _unless_you_learn_something_ == unless you use your brain , then it's just a fancy number.

It's like having a certain muscle type, but not doing any sports and only sitting on a couch, not doing any sports. If you do not use your potential, it is meaningless that you have said potential.

You are saying: To be able to perform on a certain level, you need to meet some prerequisites.

We are not in contradiction. You are expanding what I said.


Okay, it's just when I read your last sentence you had two different ideas. And with your statement about rising IQ, this is not an uncommon occurrence. People are also getting taller. Back around 300 B.C., it was said that Alexander the Great height was around 5'5'', which was the average height back then.

So what is the correlation between IQ and height, genetics. I might offend people here. And people can deny this all they want, but your ancestral ethnic background does matter in terms of height and IQ.


As much as I dislike this I have to admit that there is a proven correlation on what he just say.

But I also want to point out IQ is a quantified number done by a non-partial party. Intellectual quotient may be a thing, but it is not all that count on level of intelligence. Someone with a high IQ can be awful to interpersonal relationship therefor why the EQ (Empathy Quotient) was created and don't start me on experience and expertise. Humans are quite complex creatures and the value of IQ is highly overestimated even today.
26325 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / Denver, CO
Offline
Posted 8/24/17
One of my good friends took my IQ test as he was studying for a master's in psychology. He wouldnt tell me hat it was so I fear it wwas either really bad or kinda good. Im going to believe it was Einstein levels haha.
47839 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / F / SC
Offline
Posted 8/24/17
2
20208 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Offline
Posted 8/24/17

Trcymcrdy1 wrote:

One of my good friends took my IQ test as he was studying for a master's in psychology. He wouldnt tell me hat it was so I fear it wwas either really bad or kinda good. Im going to believe it was Einstein levels haha.


If he's taking his master's he had to have taken a GRE test. Ask him what he scored on the GRE and you can find what your IQ score is with ofc standard deviations.
13898 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / AH / Helipad
Offline
Posted 8/24/17
Don't know. Too lazy to go take one.
26325 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / Denver, CO
Offline
Posted 8/24/17

riverjustice wrote:


Trcymcrdy1 wrote:

One of my good friends took my IQ test as he was studying for a master's in psychology. He wouldnt tell me hat it was so I fear it wwas either really bad or kinda good. Im going to believe it was Einstein levels haha.


If he's taking his master's he had to have taken a GRE test. Ask him what he scored on the GRE and you can find what your IQ score is with ofc standard deviations.


nah, he had to have a friend or family let him practice giving the IQ test, so he asked me. I thought I did well.I may be misunderstanding you, Im a bit slow atm. apologies
1309 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 8/26/17

OneEyedDragon wrote:
I scored a 118 on the Stanford-Binet test. With the standard deviation of 15, I'm satisfied with the top 14%. haha

One of the observations I've made was the common denominator for anyone scoring 130 or above is they usually get into science/math fields and jurisprudence arena.

I highly doubt most people on CR are above 105. And Fred who claims is his IQ 70 is very unlikely. 85 is already considered borderline retardation. Literally.

lol


The largest concern in this "field" is that the overall perception of IQ differs from exam to exam.
This is why the vast majority of "high IQ societies" tend to use a base percentage on known exams (including academic ones) for entry.
It is often true that those with above average IQs are drawn to STEM-based fields in contrast to those with average IQ scores.
Albeit, I would argue that it depends on your "specialty" of "smartness".
I have met some persons with comparable IQ scores to my own (or higher) who are focused toward artistic-driven fields as that's where their abstract thinking capacity has led them to.
Many of those with an "above average" IQ tend to be able to think in the abstract, even if it's an abstract of a particular field.
An example would be somebody going into theoretical fields of STEM versus that of applicable ones.

I, personally, cannot comment on the "average IQ of users on Crunchyroll" as I haven't been around long enough and IQ doesn't always present itself in a text-focused environment.
It's an intriguing phenomenon to see: an individual with an IQ of 158-160 who hasn't the capacity to write out their thoughts in their native language or otherwise.
It does occur as IQ doesn't dictate literacy, contrary to popular belief.

Although, I would argue that the vast majority on Crunchyroll is, at least, average tier regarding IQ score.

20208 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Offline
Posted 8/24/17

Trcymcrdy1 wrote:


nah, he had to have a friend or family let him practice giving the IQ test, so he asked me. I thought I did well.I may be misunderstanding you, Im a bit slow atm. apologies :)


What I'm saying is usually when you are going to apply to get accepted in a master's program, you typically have to take a GRE test. Kinda like taking the SAT or ACT for undergrad.

There's a good chance he took it. Ask him what was his GRE score and you can convert that score to an actual IQ percentage. There are converter charts online.
1309 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 8/26/17

tomas123987 wrote:
He was being sarcastic by stating that he maxed out every test he has taken and he is smarter than Einstein. I would not thought him capable of such sarcasm so kudos


It was not sarcasm.
Those were my literal test scores.
SAT and ACT are academic-driven exams that focus primarily on memorization of data or information.
If your "specialty" is a photogenic memory, these exams are simple at their core.
Memorization of rules, algorithms, equations, and facts is a natural thing for many of those with an above average IQ.


riverjustice wrote:

This is probably why you can pick out good memes. Not even Einstein has the mental capacity to produce type-A quality memes.


25688 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / Imouto Sanctuary
Online
Posted 8/26/17 , edited 8/26/17

riverjustice wrote:


blobdred wrote:

Please, do not misunderstand. I said: _unless_you_learn_something_ == unless you use your brain , then it's just a fancy number.

It's like having a certain muscle type, but not doing any sports and only sitting on a couch, not doing any sports. If you do not use your potential, it is meaningless that you have said potential.

You are saying: To be able to perform on a certain level, you need to meet some prerequisites.

We are not in contradiction. You are expanding what I said.


Okay, it's just when I read your last sentence you had two different ideas. And with your statement about rising IQ, this is not an uncommon occurrence. People are also getting taller. Back around 300 B.C., it was said that Alexander the Great height was around 5'5'', which was the average height back then.

So what is the correlation between IQ and height, genetics. I might offend people here. And people can deny this all they want, but your ancestral ethnic background does matter in terms of height and IQ.


Not quite sure what you mean. If someone happens to fall far out of the standard range of expected scores, would that mean their ancestral ethnic background does not affect them as greatly? It is a bit of a weird topic, and I suspect you are not implying a causation effect as much as a general trend, which may be different?

Once I think about it, genetics determines so much that I am simply boggled, really. Not quite sure what geneticist would think of such a thing, would it be someone of an inherent ethnic background that became what it was a few thousand years ago?

I usually attribute something like IQ to more cultural ideas, and the tribalism thing people got going on where we familiarize ourselves within our cultures. In fact, one sees this in prisons where racial divides determine who you hang out with, versus height that is far easier to measure. Based on of averages, my manhood does seem to prove this with Asians.

After thinking about it, maybe you mean the genes our ancestors gave us, that is of our ethnic nature. It seems a bit too broad, but I am looking at this by a case by case scenario, which is more or less anecdotal. One could also argue genetics in general, but my brain power has already shorted out from an earlier test of wits. I am sorry.
20208 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Offline
Posted 8/26/17

PeripheralVisionary wrote:

Not quite sure what you mean. If someone happens to fall far out of the standard range of expected scores, would that mean their ancestral ethnic background does not affect them as greatly? It is a bit of a weird topic, and I suspect you are not implying a causation effect as much as a general trend, which may be different?

Once I think about it, genetics determines so much that I am simply boggled, really. Not quite sure what geneticist would think of such a thing, would it be someone of an inherent ethnic background that became what it was a few thousand years ago?

I usually attribute something like IQ to more cultural ideas, and the tribalism thing people got going on where we familiarize ourselves within our cultures. In fact, one sees this in prisons where racial divides determine who you hang out with, versus height that is far easier to measure. Based on of averages, my manhood does seem to prove this with Asians.

After thinking about it, maybe you mean the genes our ancestors gave us, that is of our ethnic nature. It seems a bit too broad, but I am looking at this by a case by case scenario, which is more or less anecdotal. One could also argue genetics in general, but my brain power has already shorted out from an earlier test of wits. I am sorry.


I was hoping someone responded to you about the the relationship between IQ and race. I'm traveling and using a phone to respond to this. I'll keep it short. Your ethnic background determines your IQ. Look at Harvard and Yale's undergrad student body. The Jewish population in the US is roughly 2% but they account for 27% of Harvard and Yale's undergrad student body. So that means 1 out of 4 undergrad students come from a tiny fraction of the US population. How does that even make sense? Either Yale and Harvard are racial bias towards Jews or maybe Jews have a higher IQ than most of the general population? I'll let you figure that on your own.
25688 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / Imouto Sanctuary
Online
Posted 8/26/17 , edited 8/26/17

riverjustice wrote:


PeripheralVisionary wrote:

Not quite sure what you mean. If someone happens to fall far out of the standard range of expected scores, would that mean their ancestral ethnic background does not affect them as greatly? It is a bit of a weird topic, and I suspect you are not implying a causation effect as much as a general trend, which may be different?

Once I think about it, genetics determines so much that I am simply boggled, really. Not quite sure what geneticist would think of such a thing, would it be someone of an inherent ethnic background that became what it was a few thousand years ago?

I usually attribute something like IQ to more cultural ideas, and the tribalism thing people got going on where we familiarize ourselves within our cultures. In fact, one sees this in prisons where racial divides determine who you hang out with, versus height that is far easier to measure. Based on of averages, my manhood does seem to prove this with Asians.

After thinking about it, maybe you mean the genes our ancestors gave us, that is of our ethnic nature. It seems a bit too broad, but I am looking at this by a case by case scenario, which is more or less anecdotal. One could also argue genetics in general, but my brain power has already shorted out from an earlier test of wits. I am sorry.


I was hoping someone responded to you about the the relationship between IQ and race. I'm traveling and using a phone to respond to this. I'll keep it short. Your ethnic background determines your IQ. Look at Harvard and Yale's undergrad student body. The Jewish population in the US is roughly 2% but they account for 27% of Harvard and Yale's undergrad student body. So that means 1 out of 4 undergrad students come from a tiny fraction of the US population. How does that even make sense? Either Yale and Harvard are racial bias towards Jews or maybe Jews have a higher IQ than most of the general population? I'll let you figure that on your own.


I think it is a pretty simplistic way to look at it, if one goes beyond correlation to suggest an outright causation. The deviation between races is suggested to be somewhat to greatly exacerbated by environment. Your idea is true as well, but to what extent it is responsible, I think it is a mystery, but I have to look up the recent studies. Your factual information does check out, but I am not sure the conclusion you stated is the overwhelming factor we are looking for.

I would say that the chance wealth distribution arising from history and demographics to not be ignored, but I think I have a better idea of what you are saying. I more or less subscribe to the general concept that "smart" people sire "smart" children, more in terms of general access to better options provided by likely more wealth, versus a mostly genetic theory. Though as everyone stated before, Intelligence Quotient is a bit hard to measure, though I always took it as a type of inherent "mental horsepower". Those puzzle blocks I mentioned earlier are just that: Intuitive in how easily one can understand to manipulate them, but hard to figure out precise shapes. Of course, the accuracy of the tests do deserve scrutiny, but it may function as a "Smarter than X in Y category". Not sure.

This would tie into the concept of someone like Genie, a child who suffered a severe mental growth delay, after her father, deciding for whatever fucked up reason, decides to lock her in a room and tie her to a chair for years on end, and by the time she was rescued, she was a subject of great interest, with the consensus being that she was a relatively normal female child subjected to extreme environmental conditions that stymied her mental growth as a whole, beyond the issue of knowledge many IQ tests seek to mostly eliminate.

Of course, I assume you know about genetics and all that good stuff about genetic expression, but I would not ignore environmental factors; of course, I would not ignore the genetics, myself describing genes as a "deciding this way or that from a predetermined series of responses only available in certain circumstances".

I may be wrong though. I hope I have not drone on too long.
28197 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 8/26/17 , edited 8/26/17

riverjustice wrote:

I might offend people here. And people can deny this all they want, but your ancestral ethnic background does matter in terms [...] of IQ.

[...]

I was hoping someone responded to you about the the relationship between IQ and race.


Get out.



While humans may have superficial appearances, the human species, to a geneticist, is exceptionally uniform. Taking the genetic variation humans do posses, the fraction associated with regional groupings we call races is 6 to 15 percent depending on method of measurement. "Geneticists conclude, therefore, that race is not a very important aspect of a person." This means that taking and comparing protein molecules, or sequence genes themselves, you would find less variation between two humans from opposite regions of the world than you would between two African chimpanzees. This entails that humans, not chimpanzees, passed through a genetic bottleneck or two similar to the cheetah. Other species look more uniform compared to humans, perhaps perception, but there is theory that suggests these differences were a remnant of tribal history to distinguish 'us' and 'them'. There was recent study at Harvard able to pinpoint a number of genes involved in regional selection: lactose intolerance, eye color, two genes for skin pigmentation, and vitamin D levels. Humans, when taken in totality are exceptionally uniform but highly variable in superficial characteristics.

Richard Dawkins - "The Ancestor's Tale"

Twin studies reveal that IQ is approximately 50 percent "additively genetic", 25 by shared environment, and 25 by environment unique to an individual. Intelligence, unlike personality, is much more susceptible to family influence--living in an intellectual home does make one more likely to become intellectual. However, there are samples of people where variation in IQ is more environmental and less genetic--Eric Turkheimer found that IQ strongly depends upon socioeconomic status. In the poorest children, all variability in IQ was nearly accounted for by shared environment and none by genetic predisposition, but in the wealthier the opposite was true. This means that among the poorest one's IQ suffers for the worse, but $40,000 to $400,00 makes little difference. "Just as some people are genetically better at gaining muscle strength than others, according to which version of the ACE gene they possess on chormosome 17, so some people are genetically more able to absorb education according to which versions they possess of some unknown genes. These mutations are not rare; they are common."

Matt Ridley - "The Agile Gene"

Now there has been some studies (referenced in Nature journals) that are investigating intelligence variation in mutations that also have a high risk of Autism (intellectual disability, is incredibly comorbid after all), but I'm very curious how you're able to link skin pigmentation or similar genes to variation in genetic intelligence while negating environmental factors. Ethnicity is not indicative of intelligence--it has much more to do with shared environments at that point, and if you were to be more than deplorably crude in your logic--has much more to do with socioeconomic status and genetic predispositions (predispositions that are arbitrarily correlated with race that its considered of trivial significance) Intelligence is highly polygenic, and there's plenty of evidence for this.

Your claim is blatantly ridiculous and uninformed.
8526 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / a pop tart
Offline
Posted 8/26/17
More than 0, less than 1,000,000,000,000,000.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.