First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
Swedish "Minister of Culture" ordered Viking artifacts to be melted down for scrap metal
Posted 8/26/17
https://www.svd.se/fynd-fran-jarnaldern-gar-till-metallatervinningen


Coins, arrow heads, ritual amulets, weapons, jewellery and weights that were kept in the past are now directly dumped into metal recycling bins upon discovery instead of being treasured and displayed.


Can you imagine how much you'd have to hate your self and your culture to want to do these things? Or rather, hate the culture and history of your host country.

Thoughts?
36277 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Cloud 9.
Offline
Posted 8/26/17
Sort of like when America melted down all of the swords taken from WW2.
Posted 8/26/17 , edited 8/26/17

spensaur wrote:

Sort of like when America melted down all of the swords taken from WW2.


Difference being that they weren't American cultural artifacts.
Also weren't most swords carried by imperial Japanese just mass produced potmetal crap? Apparently there were orders given that older swords (older than 100 years) were to be spared and left in the hands of the family that owned them.
9736 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / F / London, England
Offline
Posted 8/26/17 , edited 8/26/17
Its honestly disgusting. Sweden kind of had it coming though if they were stupid enough to put someone this selfish in charge of the ministry of culture
13747 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / F
Offline
Posted 8/26/17 , edited 8/26/17

Swedish "Minister of Culture" ordered Viking artifacts to be melted down for scrap metal


That's not what the linked article says.
All you can find in the article are economical reasons for doing that. Not a single word that this was ordered by her or any other member of the Swedish government.
563 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
57 / M
Offline
Posted 8/26/17
Not everything old is worth preserving. Preservation is about keeping a representation of an era NOT keeping every single broken iron object.

If you already have 20 sets of ancient coins from a particular era housed museums around the country, where are you putting the stuff you dig up? If you have 20 tons of broken swords from the same time period, are you keeping all of them? Who is going to pay for the 10,000's of man hours to catalog yet another batch of rusted nails which have no archaeological significance.

Do you think it is disgusting when a farmer digs up a rusty colonial nail in Boston and the US government doesn't send out an archaeological team to catalog and preserve it?
1309 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 8/26/17 , edited 8/26/17
I do believe you're leaving out a substantial amount of information around this story; information that was even included in the article you linked in your original post, even.
It appears that these artifacts are destroyed when they cannot be preserved well enough to be kept inside of a museum (to generalize).
To expand on the previous sentence, the Minister of Culture (Alice Bah Kuhnke) has claimed that this is a funding issue.
If it would exhaust too many resources in order to ensure that these metals are preserved and can remain in such a state, they are melted down.

On the other side of the same story, you have those who believe this is a "liberal agenda" (a.k.a. "New Swede Agenda") to purge history.
These are those who cannot rationalize that if Sweden has enough money to harbor immigrants that it should also have enough money to preserve these precious artifacts.

I'm not so versed with how the Swedish government functions, so the following statements will be speculations.
In the majority of countries, each division or section of the government has an allocated budget for a fiscal year.
If, let us say, there isn't enough funding to ensure the preservation of these objects then it would require the department to offset the costs to ensure that others will survive.
There should be a section of the "Department of Culture" that can correlate the preservation of these items through a third party that is willing to offset the costs themselves prior to turning them into scrap metal.
This (sh/w)ould also require the individual or third-party to follow the correct preservation processes that the Ministry of Culture would normally utilize in order to prepare an artifact to be in a museum.

At the same time, I don't buy into the whole "liberal/conservative agenda" excuse that people are so quick to adapt when they disagree with what the government of a country is doing.
Unfortunately, governments are driven by processes and budgets.
Cuts are made that people disagree with all the time.
17122 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
37 / M / UK
Offline
Posted 8/26/17 , edited 8/26/17

Amyas_Leigh wrote:

Also weren't most swords carried by imperial Japanese just mass produced potmetal crap? Apparently there were orders given that older swords (older than 100 years) were to be spared and left in the hands of the family that owned them.


It wasn't that simple. The American occupying forces issued the order on the assumption that all the swords were mass produced. They only considered changing the order after culturally significant swords were seized and destroyed. Then the order to preserve older swords was countermanded and more culturally significant swords were destroyed.

I'm not sure when the order was finally revoked but a lot of damage was done by then.
26 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 8/26/17 , edited 8/26/17
So, you provide an article in Swedish and a comment from @agustus, aka Augustus Invictus, aka a known white supremacist.

Upon reading the article, you know what one finds? It was one museum doing it, on their own, because of market forces pressuring them to have to sell them to the highest bidders that are buying it for scrap metal.

Because no one else is buying them, and just keeping them in a bin is doing nothing.

So, you're telling that instead of blaming this museum curator who is trying to work within the budgets afforded to him, I should instead blame "The SJW Menace"? Because a white supremacist told me? Right. Wonderful. Amazing work, everyone. I'm sure @agustus doesn't have an agenda to push at all.
Banned
22807 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
53 / M / In
Offline
Posted 8/26/17
Don't mind me I am just here for the pop-corn
Posted 8/26/17 , edited 8/26/17

tomas123987 wrote:

Not everything old is worth preserving. Preservation is about keeping a representation of an era NOT keeping every single broken iron object.


You cannot tell the value of something until its been catalogued and examined. Excavators were ordered to throw everything away.
So Viking era jewelry and weapons = colonial era nails?
I don't get that
Also I would say the person who found said nail should keep it as a trinket rather than destroy it. Same to those viking artifacts if the museums don't want them

You should look into why they are finding these things too. Mass building projects because a housing shortage due to uncontrolled immigration.
Just fuck my history and culture up fam
Banned
22807 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
53 / M / In
Offline
Posted 8/26/17 , edited 8/26/17

anyone shocked that he found a way to make this racist?
1075 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 8/26/17 , edited 8/26/17
Where is the visual evidence that this is happening? Are there videos? Are there other news articles?

A white supremacist posting from a white supremacist website isn't enough for me.
1075 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 8/26/17 , edited 8/26/17

getintheVandell wrote:

So, you provide an article in Swedish and a comment from @agustus, aka Augustus Invictus, aka a known white supremacist.

Upon reading the article, you know what one finds? It was one museum doing it, on their own, because of market forces pressuring them to have to sell them to the highest bidders that are buying it for scrap metal.

Because no one else is buying them, and just keeping them in a bin is doing nothing.

So, you're telling that instead of blaming this museum curator who is trying to work within the budgets afforded to him, I should instead blame "The SJW Menace"? Because a white supremacist told me? Right. Wonderful. Amazing work, everyone. I'm sure @agustus doesn't have an agenda to push at all.


They're not here to post facts.

They're here to create bigoted narratives and plant seeds of hate in people's minds.
26 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 8/26/17 , edited 8/26/17

Amyas_Leigh wrote:


tomas123987 wrote:

Not everything old is worth preserving. Preservation is about keeping a representation of an era NOT keeping every single broken iron object.


You cannot tell the value of something until its been catalogued and examined. Excavators were ordered to throw everything away.
So Viking era jewelry and weapons = colonial era nails?
I don't get that
Also I would say the person who found said nail should keep it as a trinket rather than destroy it. Same to those viking artifacts if the museums don't want them

You should look into why they are finding these things too. Mass building projects because a housing shortage due to uncontrolled immigration.
Just fuck my history and culture up fam


You are so warped by your worldview that you see the bush rustling for a tiger, when it's just the wind.

If anything is to blame, it's economic pressures and the fact that there's already a metric tonne of viking material out there and available, and that cleaning, examining and cataloguing these things requires time, money and effort that they'd rather spend on actually valuable items. Do you truly have need for another set of cheaply made viking jewelry that already exists in every damn Museum with a viking section out there?

https://www.fossilera.com/under-50-fossils-for-sale?for_sale_only=true

Whoa! You can find fossils for under fifty bucks for sale! WHAT A BARGAIN!
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.