First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
Swedish "Minister of Culture" ordered Viking artifacts to be melted down for scrap metal
26 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 8/26/17 , edited 8/26/17

21stCenturyGemini wrote:


getintheVandell wrote:

So, you provide an article in Swedish and a comment from @agustus, aka Augustus Invictus, aka a known white supremacist.

Upon reading the article, you know what one finds? It was one museum doing it, on their own, because of market forces pressuring them to have to sell them to the highest bidders that are buying it for scrap metal.

Because no one else is buying them, and just keeping them in a bin is doing nothing.

So, you're telling that instead of blaming this museum curator who is trying to work within the budgets afforded to him, I should instead blame "The SJW Menace"? Because a white supremacist told me? Right. Wonderful. Amazing work, everyone. I'm sure @agustus doesn't have an agenda to push at all.


They're not here to post facts.

They're here to create bigoted narratives and plant seeds of hate in people's minds.


I know. Dog whistles are a helluva thing.
Posted 8/26/17 , edited 8/26/17

getintheVandell wrote:


You are so warped by your worldview that you see the bush rustling for a tiger, when it's just the wind.

If anything is to blame, it's economic pressures and the fact that there's already a metric tonne of viking material out there and available, and that cleaning, examining and cataloguing these things requires time, money and effort that they'd rather spend on actually valuable items. Do you truly have need for another set of cheaply made viking jewelry that already exists in every damn Museum with a viking section out there?

https://www.fossilera.com/under-50-fossils-for-sale?for_sale_only=true

Whoa! You can find fossils for under fifty bucks for sale! WHAT A BARGAIN!


Then sell them. I would love to have a set of real "cheaply made" viking jewelry for display in my man cave.
They didn't even try to sell them, and you're pushing a false narrative that museums attempted selling their collections and failed so "lol lets melt it down" rather than pulling artifacts right out of the earth and putting them directly in the recycle bin without seeing if they're historically valuable or not.
https://nyheteridag.se/sveriges-kulturarv-forstors-systematiskt-foremal-fran-jarnaldern-skickas-for-metallatervinning/

SWEDEN Invaluable iron objects from the Iron Age and Viking times are sent as scrap for metal recycling. It is noticeable by Svenska Dagbladet during Wednesday.
Annons

It is Johan Runer, archaeologist at Stockholm County Museum, who has alarmed how the county boards in Sweden disregard our cultural heritage. The reason is that they do not consider themselves having the resources to take care of and conserve all metal objects found in connection with archaeological excavations.

In the article, an excavation of Flädie outside Lund in Skåne is taken as an example. The site was investigated by archaeologists in connection with the reconstruction of a traffic area last year at the E6 motorway. The report compiled in connection with the excavation lists a large number of findings.

But the archaeologists did not have the resources to take care of everything and were forced to "grind" a large number of objects, that is, send them to the shots. Among other things, a variety of coins and buttons, a knife and a ring.

Other items that are thrown out are amulet rings that were ritual objects of the forensic Swedish during the Vendel and Viking times.

"It is provocative when in other countries every effort is made to preserve the heritage and dare to live for it," says Lena Holmquist, an archaeologist at Stockholm University, focusing on the Viking era.

According to SvD's cultural writer Ola Wong, it's about "fast and cheap get away from the cultural heritage" to get started with planned road or house construction.

Runes also say that archaeologists do not give away or sell the bargain to collectors, something that could save them to the aftermath.
1746 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / F / PA, USA
Offline
Posted 8/26/17 , edited 8/26/17

uncletim wrote:
anyone shocked that he found a way to make this racist?


I missed the racism... Who and where? I'm honestly lost.
26 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 8/26/17 , edited 8/26/17

Amyas_Leigh
Then sell them. I would love to have a set of real "cheaply made" viking jewelry for display in my man cave.
They didn't even try to sell them, and you're pushing a false narrative that museums attempted selling their collections and failed so "lol lets melt it down" rather than pulling artifacts right out of the earth and putting them directly in the recycle bin without seeing if they're historically valuable or not.


https://www.faganarms.com/collections/viking-artifacts

Go on and buy them, then.


From the article you linked.. bolded section for importance..

But the archaeologists did not have the resources to take care of everything and were forced to "grind" a large number of objects, that is, send them to the shots. Among other things, a variety of coins and buttons, a knife and a ring.


Like, seriously. Even the second article you linked says the exact same thing: market forces are the reason for this happening and the woes of capitalism. Not some SJW feminist agenda you're trying to impose is actually the case, trying to stir people into thinking that "white identity" is being systematically destroyed. (You even link an image of an unrelated black person to try and prove your argument and use scarequotes, simply because she's the current Minister of Culture.) It's already there and cemented in place.

If you want to save them, then start buying them to increase their value. Because they're so common that they aren't valuable.

Does it suck? I suppose so. But you're the one making them out to be priceless artifacts of a bygone era that we need to protect or else we stand to lose all knowledge of them.. when the reality is that these are cheaper to buy than a low-quality gold carat ring.

Maybe if we lived in some kind of ideal society where we could cherish every single artifact dug up from the ground. But we don't. People make hard choices based on their means. Stop being a child.
26 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 8/26/17 , edited 8/26/17

Cardamom_Ginger wrote:


uncletim wrote:
anyone shocked that he found a way to make this racist?


I missed the racism... Who and where? I'm honestly lost.


White identitarian politics i.e. white nationalism i.e. white supremacism. OP is trying to make the claim that priceless artifacts are being destroyed because Sweden hates itself so much and its heritage (categorically false) in order to push a false narrative of white culture being destroyed.

In short, he's trying to equate that one museum selling common, cheap viking jewelry for scrap is equitable to the destruction of the white race, in order to make people believe they're being demonised for said whiteness.
Posted 8/26/17 , edited 8/26/17

getintheVandell wrote:

https://www.faganarms.com/collections/viking-artifacts

Go on and buy them, then.

If you want to save them, then start buying them to increase their value. Because they're so common that they aren't valuable.

Wow, $1700 for a corroded spear head, such valueless trash that should've been melted down instead. No way it would have been worth taking it and putting it in a box, something that costs nothing to do, until it could be sold or put up for display.
Again, you're pushing a false narrative that there was even an attempt to sell these new artifacts that have been uncovered. In the second article I linked it specifically says they did not for fear there would be a black market. Well why does that website you link exist then? Why not GIVE the artifacts to the people that run that website if cataloging them is too much?


Posted 8/26/17 , edited 8/26/17
Who cares
12191 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Australia
Offline
Posted 8/26/17 , edited 8/26/17
Only Islam is sacred. Nothing else.
1746 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / F / PA, USA
Offline
Posted 8/26/17 , edited 8/26/17

getintheVandell wrote:

White identitarian politics i.e. white nationalism i.e. white supremacism. OP is trying to make the claim that priceless artifacts are being destroyed because Sweden hates itself so much and its heritage (categorically false) in order to push a false narrative of white culture being destroyed.

In short, he's trying to equate that one 7museum selling common, cheap viking jewelry for scrap is equitable to the destruction of the white race, in order to make people believe they're being demonised for said whiteness.


Have you considered that his anger may not exclusively pertain to cultures stereotypically referred to as "White"? It seems presumptuous and reflexive to offhandedly equivicate it to racism. I mean, it's not unusual for folks to consider the destruction of artifacts offensive and the equivalent of "destroying culture." That sort of mindset has been around since long before modern events.
26 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 8/26/17 , edited 8/26/17

Cardamom_Ginger wrote:


getintheVandell wrote:

White identitarian politics i.e. white nationalism i.e. white supremacism. OP is trying to make the claim that priceless artifacts are being destroyed because Sweden hates itself so much and its heritage (categorically false) in order to push a false narrative of white culture being destroyed.

In short, he's trying to equate that one 7museum selling common, cheap viking jewelry for scrap is equitable to the destruction of the white race, in order to make people believe they're being demonised for said whiteness.


Have you considered that his anger may not exclusively pertain to cultures stereotypically referred to as "White"? It seems presumptuous and reflexive to offhandedly equivicate it to racism. I mean, it's not unusual for folks to consider the destruction of artifacts offensive and the equivalent of "destroying culture." That sort of mindset has been around since long before modern events.


I have, and there is some validity to that argument.

But then OP linked @agustus, a full-on card carrying white supremacist who believes he has the God-given right to bring America into its next civil war to install a white ethnostate. (Augustus Invictus' words, not mine.)

So, you know. I call a spade a spade.
1543 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 8/26/17 , edited 8/26/17

Amyas_Leigh wrote:


spensaur wrote:

Sort of like when America melted down all of the swords taken from WW2.


Difference being that they weren't American cultural artifacts.
Also weren't most swords carried by imperial Japanese just mass produced potmetal crap? Apparently there were orders given that older swords (older than 100 years) were to be spared and left in the hands of the family that owned them.


Most were fairly new, mass produced swords. The higher raked officers usually had antique family heirlooms. Some were returned, some destroyed and some stolen by American soldiers. Though some of those were eventually returned. There are still some missing, a Masamune is apparently in an attic somewhere in the States
Posted 8/26/17 , edited 8/26/17

getintheVandell wrote:


I have, and there is some validity to that argument.

But then OP linked @agustus, a full-on card carrying white supremacist who believes he has the God-given right to bring America into its next civil war to install a white ethnostate. (Augustus Invictus' words, not mine.)

So, you know. I call a spade a spade.


Congrats on knowing more about e celebs than I do, I just saved the screenshot off Reddit.


ran76 wrote:

Most were fairly new, mass produced swords. The higher raked officers usually had antique family heirlooms. Some were returned, some destroyed and some stolen by American soldiers. Though some of those were eventually returned. There are still some missing, a Masamune is apparently in an attic somewhere in the States


Sad. I was reading about how so many were thrown into the ocean and not recovered until years later, after corrosion had damaged them too much.
I wouldn't mind finding a real showato though, even if it was mass produced.
9616 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / Ark-La-Tex
Offline
Posted 8/26/17 , edited 8/26/17

srlan23 wrote:


Swedish "Minister of Culture" ordered Viking artifacts to be melted down for scrap metal


That's not what the linked article says.
All you can find in the article are economical reasons for doing that. Not a single word that this was ordered by her or any other member of the Swedish government.


In other words, this is a whole lot of nothing. As usual.
1746 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / F / PA, USA
Offline
Posted 8/26/17 , edited 8/26/17

getintheVandell wrote:

I have, and there is some validity to that argument.

But then OP linked @agustus, a full-on card carrying white supremacist who believes he has the God-given right to bring America into its next civil war to install a white ethnostate. (Augustus Invictus' words, not mine.)

So, you know. I call a spade a spade.


I don't know... I had know idea who the hell Agustus is until this thread, so I'm hard-pressed to expect anyone else to know or care. I don't imagine readers of any given article to be figurative twins to the writer of said piece, so... I suppose we're just going to disagree on how much evidence of racism there is and leave it at that. See you around.


EDIT; I took too long answering and missed OP saying that he didn't know about Agustus until after I finally posted the damned thing.
716 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / cave
Offline
Posted 8/26/17 , edited 8/26/17

MrAnimeSK wrote:

Only Islam is sacred. Nothing else.


this quote made me laugh at first but then when take a step back and think it be like yes scary thought.

First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.