First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
Post Reply Youtube Censorship 2017
27197 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 9/3/17 , edited 9/3/17

CrownedSonofFire wrote:
Hah! You wish.

1. It's Corporatism you are seeing here, not Capitalism. Common mistake among those who blindly hate Capitalism due to being brainwashed into Socialism ideals.

2. The problem is actually Socialist misfits impressing upon a Corporation (Youtube/Google) the idea that their opinions matter more than other peoples and that anyone who disagrees with them should be censored for the better good of all those who might be too foolish to know not to listen to them. (in their opinion of course.)

3. Soros funding buys a lot.


No one is getting censored, they're just not getting paid to talk because the advertisers don't want to buy what they're selling. Boohoo, cry me a river.

Want to get paid? Say something people want to pay for. Holy shit, it's capitalism!. If advertisers don't want to buy it, there are other platforms to get monetary compensation from viewers instead.

Crybaby bitches, I swear. Advertisers don't want to buy what they're sellin' so they get the metaphorical torch and throw the proverbial piss fit about it. "I deserve to get paid for my contribution!"--Sorry, not sorry, doesn't work that way.


7286 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
35 / Pacific North West
Offline
Posted 9/3/17 , edited 9/3/17

Silentveil wrote:
SNIP:
Wow, I have never seem people start crying so quickly over nothing.

Sorry for trolling, but I just got through with a discussion about someone thinking it's alright to do racist jokes and their answer to other people was ignore them while they did it.

Now Youtube is actually doing it, and people are literally crying about it.

This is just hilarious.


You dont like comedians do you? If a "rascist" joke gets you pulled then I would venture most comedians are screwed from youtube revenue. Dont believe me? Watch Chris Rock, Jimmy Carr, ect, The best part about jokes is most people will laugh at them even if they are directed at their own race, gender, ect. Comedy and laughter are not bound by color or creed. If you dislike such things then you have a poor self image. The other issue is some of this content may be exactly what some advertisers are hoping for. Anti Obama pages probably generated a lot of clicks for alt right advertisers. It becomes a double edged sword

My issue with Youtube doing this is subjective. I would be interested to know how much revenue these "controversial" links are generating. If your selling Colgate toothpaste and 60% of your revenue is generated by Trump hate sites... then I would think as a business model you know who your target audience is. If your Black lives matter ad is being posted on some racist site but is generating ad revenue... makes you wonder no? IDK there is just too many unknowns to make a judgement for me.

I think YouTube has the right to pull down any videos or not pay whomever they like as it is their company. However I suspect Content creators, as well as advertisers will at least partially trickle away from Youtube now. Its a PR issue not so much a revenue issue in my eyes. I can say one thing for sure... if they start taking down minecraft videos I will know they have gone too far lol.
15748 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M
Offline
Posted 9/3/17

DevinKuska wrote:


Silentveil wrote:
SNIP:
Wow, I have never seem people start crying so quickly over nothing.

Sorry for trolling, but I just got through with a discussion about someone thinking it's alright to do racist jokes and their answer to other people was ignore them while they did it.

Now Youtube is actually doing it, and people are literally crying about it.

This is just hilarious.


You dont like comedians do you? If a "rascist" joke gets you pulled then I would venture most comedians are screwed from youtube revenue. Dont believe me? Watch Chris Rock, Jimmy Carr, ect, The best part about jokes is most people will laugh at them even if they are directed at their own race, gender, ect. Comedy and laughter are not bound by color or creed. If you dislike such things then you have a poor self image.


I think that there are a lot of fine lines in comedy and a big part of being a comedian is being able to walk that line without crossing it. It is also important to read the room and know your audience. If I'm with close friends, I generally know what is okay and what isn't. If I'm with strangers, it's typically best to stay away from the potentially offensive stuff. Like, I personally think "dead baby" jokes are fairly tasteless but I'm not personally offended by them. However, one time a guy I know started telling this joke right in front of a girl who just lost her kid. Bad move.

Part of not being an ass is not offending those around you and that holds true for comedy.
7286 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
35 / Pacific North West
Offline
Posted 9/3/17

sundin13 wrote:

I think that there are a lot of fine lines in comedy and a big part of being a comedian is being able to walk that line without crossing it. It is also important to read the room and know your audience. If I'm with close friends, I generally know what is okay and what isn't. If I'm with strangers, it's typically best to stay away from the potentially offensive stuff. Like, I personally think "dead baby" jokes are fairly tasteless but I'm not personally offended by them. However, one time a guy I know started telling this joke right in front of a girl who just lost her kid. Bad move.

Part of not being an ass is not offending those around you and that holds true for comedy.


While your argument is not without its merits, unfortunately in this particular scenario it doesn't apply. If a Comedian posts a video on youtube to generate extra revenue as well as get their name recognition... there is no way to read the room or know your audience. As weapons of massive consumption its kind of our own problem to decide what we ingest(metaphorically and literally). In the case of comedians they generally post live stand up shows where they do not know the audience, nor can they get a feel for the room other then laughter. Comedians are fortunate enough to not really be subject to "being an ass" because their role is often satire comedy which leaves nothing off the table. This is along the same lines of the Charlie ebdo(sorry too lazy to look up how its spelled) issue. If you dont like something dont watch/listen. But to say you wont pay someone because someone was offended(although within your rights) seems a bit childish. Though Youtube has the right to do as it see's fit. I am just of the opinion they are on a slippery slope to chapter 13.
15748 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M
Offline
Posted 9/3/17 , edited 9/3/17

DevinKuska wrote:


sundin13 wrote:

I think that there are a lot of fine lines in comedy and a big part of being a comedian is being able to walk that line without crossing it. It is also important to read the room and know your audience. If I'm with close friends, I generally know what is okay and what isn't. If I'm with strangers, it's typically best to stay away from the potentially offensive stuff. Like, I personally think "dead baby" jokes are fairly tasteless but I'm not personally offended by them. However, one time a guy I know started telling this joke right in front of a girl who just lost her kid. Bad move.

Part of not being an ass is not offending those around you and that holds true for comedy.


While your argument is not without its merits, unfortunately in this particular scenario it doesn't apply. If a Comedian posts a video on youtube to generate extra revenue as well as get their name recognition... there is no way to read the room or know your audience. As weapons of massive consumption its kind of our own problem to decide what we ingest(metaphorically and literally). In the case of comedians they generally post live stand up shows where they do not know the audience, nor can they get a feel for the room other then laughter. Comedians are fortunate enough to not really be subject to "being an ass" because their role is often satire comedy which leaves nothing off the table. This is along the same lines of the Charlie ebdo(sorry too lazy to look up how its spelled) issue. If you dont like something dont watch/listen. But to say you wont pay someone because someone was offended(although within your rights) seems a bit childish. Though Youtube has the right to do as it see's fit. I am just of the opinion they are on a slippery slope to chapter 13.


I believe that part of the argument strayed away from the Youtube topic. I am not personally aware of comedians being hit by this demonetization wave (although it could have happened) so I was addressing your point in the context of comedy, not in the context of comedy on Youtube.

However, on the subject of Youtube, it works a bit differently than something like television. Advertisers don't choose where they want their ads, it is determined by Youtube algorithms. These recent demonetization scares have been due to advertisers seeing what their ads are being placed on and saying "we don't want to be advertising here". As such, it is not Youtube saying "we don't want to pay you for this content", it is advertisers saying "we don't want our ads on content of this type". Youtube is not limiting our ability to consume any content or trying to shield users from offense, it is allowing advertisers to distance themselves from things which viewers might find offensive. Brands have an image to uphold, and many don't want to become associated with things that many find offensive or highly controversial. This is an important distinction. The goal is to protect advertisers, not to protect viewers.

PS: And yes, reading the room and knowing your audience is still pivotal to live stand-up.
524 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
35
Offline
Posted 9/3/17

DevinKuska wrote:


Silentveil wrote:
SNIP:
Wow, I have never seem people start crying so quickly over nothing.

Sorry for trolling, but I just got through with a discussion about someone thinking it's alright to do racist jokes and their answer to other people was ignore them while they did it.

Now Youtube is actually doing it, and people are literally crying about it.

This is just hilarious.


You dont like comedians do you? If a "rascist" joke gets you pulled then I would venture most comedians are screwed from youtube revenue. Dont believe me? Watch Chris Rock, Jimmy Carr, ect, The best part about jokes is most people will laugh at them even if they are directed at their own race, gender, ect. Comedy and laughter are not bound by color or creed. If you dislike such things then you have a poor self image. The other issue is some of this content may be exactly what some advertisers are hoping for. Anti Obama pages probably generated a lot of clicks for alt right advertisers. It becomes a double edged sword

My issue with Youtube doing this is subjective. I would be interested to know how much revenue these "controversial" links are generating. If your selling Colgate toothpaste and 60% of your revenue is generated by Trump hate sites... then I would think as a business model you know who your target audience is. If your Black lives matter ad is being posted on some racist site but is generating ad revenue... makes you wonder no? IDK there is just too many unknowns to make a judgement for me.

I think YouTube has the right to pull down any videos or not pay whomever they like as it is their company. However I suspect Content creators, as well as advertisers will at least partially trickle away from Youtube now. Its a PR issue not so much a revenue issue in my eyes. I can say one thing for sure... if they start taking down minecraft videos I will know they have gone too far lol.


I have to have this argument again .....sighs.

Comedians have their own place for that. If you go to a comedy place, then you know you are at risk for these sort of jokes. Not, someone being a complete idiot at work with a captured audience, Or, being kind enough to do such stupid jokes when you are out with your family and leaving you to have to explain it to your kids.

As for having a poor self-image ...I actually think it's the other way around.
My self-imagery is actually really good that's why I don't just quietly sit back and take it ...because I have pride in myself and where I came from.

You know sometimes, people laugh just to fit in ...not because it's funny.

Anyway, your issue with Youtube is just that your issue? It's not even a really good one.

I mean, think about it for a minute.

If they are doing this because their clients / people who pay to put their ads on Youtube want it.

Then what do you want them to do? Side with the leech versus the paying client?

Just so you aren't confused,
If you have a controversial video ...and the ones paying to put ads on Youtube see it and chose to drop out of their program...they lose money.
Then if you did managed to get the numbers...Youtube will still owe you money.

It's a double whammy.

So, they are doing what's best for their business, and they are doing it without hurting your free speech.

You just can't make a career out of it anymore.

Thus, all of those deadbeats ...simply need to get a job.




7286 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
35 / Pacific North West
Offline
Posted 9/3/17

Silentveil wrote:

I have to have this argument again .....sighs.

Comedians have their own place for that. If you go to a comedy place, then you know you are at risk for these sort of jokes. Not, someone being a complete idiot at work with a captured audience, Or, being kind enough to do such stupid jokes when you are out with your family and leaving you to have to explain it to your kids.

As for having a poor self-image ...I actually think it's the other way around. My self-imagery is actually really good that's why I don't just quietly sit back and take it ...because I have pride in myself and where I came from.
You know sometimes, people laugh just to fit in ...not because it's funny.
Anyway, your issue with Youtube is just that your issue? It's not even a really good one.
I mean, think about it for a minute.
If they are doing this because their clients / people who pay to put their ads on Youtube want it.
Then what do you want them to do? Side with the leech versus the paying client?
Just so you aren't confused,
If you have a controversial video ...and the ones paying to put ads on Youtube see it and chose to drop out of their program...they lose money.
Then if you did managed to get the numbers...Youtube will still owe you money.
It's a double whammy.
So, they are doing what's best for their business, and they are doing it without hurting your free speech.
You just can't make a career out of it anymore.
Thus, all of those deadbeats ...simply need to get a job.


First off thanks for the laugh. Not sure why but the lil sigh emote...emoji... well whatever you call it made me laugh. Like when you hear someone verbally say LOL. As for when a joke is ok.... not sure how that applies to Youtube as I would be more inclined to think its closer to comedy show then a family/work gathering, at least in my experience. As far as the self image thing.. it wasn't necessarily directed at you, it was more of if you cant laugh at yourself or some joke directed at your race/sex/whatever... you have a low self image. This is not my opinion by popular belief in psychology.
https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/happiness-purpose/201309/lighten-and-laugh So not sure what sitting quietly and taking is about... unless someone made some joke that applied to you and you somehow found it offensive. If that's the case then again my question is if you like comedians much? Granted I am no expert on comedians but I have listened to my fair share and it would seem to me anyway nothing is off limits or in bad taste. The general concept being it was not intended to be offensive, though some people take offense anyway but that is usually the minority.
As far as my issue with youtube... not sure what your getting at. I don't believe I ever said MY issue was anyone else s. Just as your issue with everyone "Crying" is your issue. However to say my personal opinion isn't very good is subjective and doesn't really even add to the conversation does it? Though I do think its worth mentioning I stated MY issue/opinion and not THE ISSUE. Does that make sense? Trying to dispute someones personal thoughts is hopeless unless they have a 10 second memory.
No, their doing this because a few people cried wolf and made a huge deal out of something minor. How long have these advertisers had their ads on YouTube? Are you suggesting they had no inclination that their ads may or may not end up next to videos that someone would find offensive? Well its possible if we could see a advertiser contract saying they were against it... however I personally am willing to bet the advertisers didn't give a crap until recently. As far as who to side with... I am a bit confused. You seem to think the people getting paid are leeches. That's not how it works. Youtube pays content creators x amount for x amount of visits to their content. As advertisers pay to be put on content that gets the most exposure its simple advertising really. So content creators are not really leeches. They are in fact why people visit youtube and arguably the reason why the advertisers get traffic. So if you have a controversial video that is getting millions of likes advertisers who do stick with the program will get that many more visitors. Survival of the most business driven no? Ahh but now we are arguing which came first the chicken or the dozen eggs...
22866 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
The White House
Offline
Posted 9/3/17

sundin13 wrote:


DevinKuska wrote:


sundin13 wrote:

I think that there are a lot of fine lines in comedy and a big part of being a comedian is being able to walk that line without crossing it. It is also important to read the room and know your audience. If I'm with close friends, I generally know what is okay and what isn't. If I'm with strangers, it's typically best to stay away from the potentially offensive stuff. Like, I personally think "dead baby" jokes are fairly tasteless but I'm not personally offended by them. However, one time a guy I know started telling this joke right in front of a girl who just lost her kid. Bad move.

Part of not being an ass is not offending those around you and that holds true for comedy.


While your argument is not without its merits, unfortunately in this particular scenario it doesn't apply. If a Comedian posts a video on youtube to generate extra revenue as well as get their name recognition... there is no way to read the room or know your audience. As weapons of massive consumption its kind of our own problem to decide what we ingest(metaphorically and literally). In the case of comedians they generally post live stand up shows where they do not know the audience, nor can they get a feel for the room other then laughter. Comedians are fortunate enough to not really be subject to "being an ass" because their role is often satire comedy which leaves nothing off the table. This is along the same lines of the Charlie ebdo(sorry too lazy to look up how its spelled) issue. If you dont like something dont watch/listen. But to say you wont pay someone because someone was offended(although within your rights) seems a bit childish. Though Youtube has the right to do as it see's fit. I am just of the opinion they are on a slippery slope to chapter 13.


I believe that part of the argument strayed away from the Youtube topic. I am not personally aware of comedians being hit by this demonetization wave (although it could have happened) so I was addressing your point in the context of comedy, not in the context of comedy on Youtube.

However, on the subject of Youtube, it works a bit differently than something like television. Advertisers don't choose where they want their ads, it is determined by Youtube algorithms. These recent demonetization scares have been due to advertisers seeing what their ads are being placed on and saying "we don't want to be advertising here". As such, it is not Youtube saying "we don't want to pay you for this content", it is advertisers saying "we don't want our ads on content of this type". Youtube is not limiting our ability to consume any content or trying to shield users from offense, it is allowing advertisers to distance themselves from things which viewers might find offensive. Brands have an image to uphold, and many don't want to become associated with things that many find offensive or highly controversial. This is an important distinction. The goal is to protect advertisers, not to protect viewers.

PS: And yes, reading the room and knowing your audience is still pivotal to live stand-up.


I've. Heard of a few popular comedians that dont censor their own comedy being hit hard.
47839 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / F / SC
Offline
Posted 9/3/17
people still watch youtube
524 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
35
Offline
Posted 9/3/17 , edited 9/3/17

DevinKuska wrote:


Silentveil wrote:

I have to have this argument again .....sighs.

Comedians have their own place for that. If you go to a comedy place, then you know you are at risk for these sort of jokes. Not, someone being a complete idiot at work with a captured audience, Or, being kind enough to do such stupid jokes when you are out with your family and leaving you to have to explain it to your kids.

As for having a poor self-image ...I actually think it's the other way around. My self-imagery is actually really good that's why I don't just quietly sit back and take it ...because I have pride in myself and where I came from.
You know sometimes, people laugh just to fit in ...not because it's funny.
Anyway, your issue with Youtube is just that your issue? It's not even a really good one.
I mean, think about it for a minute.
If they are doing this because their clients / people who pay to put their ads on Youtube want it.
Then what do you want them to do? Side with the leech versus the paying client?
Just so you aren't confused,
If you have a controversial video ...and the ones paying to put ads on Youtube see it and chose to drop out of their program...they lose money.
Then if you did managed to get the numbers...Youtube will still owe you money.
It's a double whammy.
So, they are doing what's best for their business, and they are doing it without hurting your free speech.
You just can't make a career out of it anymore.
Thus, all of those deadbeats ...simply need to get a job.


First off thanks for the laugh. Not sure why but the lil sigh emote...emoji... well whatever you call it made me laugh. Like when you hear someone verbally say LOL. As for when a joke is ok.... not sure how that applies to Youtube as I would be more inclined to think its closer to comedy show then a family/work gathering, at least in my experience. As far as the self image thing.. it wasn't necessarily directed at you, it was more of if you cant laugh at yourself or some joke directed at your race/sex/whatever... you have a low self image. This is not my opinion by popular belief in psychology.
https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/happiness-purpose/201309/lighten-and-laugh So not sure what sitting quietly and taking is about... unless someone made some joke that applied to you and you somehow found it offensive. If that's the case then again my question is if you like comedians much? Granted I am no expert on comedians but I have listened to my fair share and it would seem to me anyway nothing is off limits or in bad taste. The general concept being it was not intended to be offensive, though some people take offense anyway but that is usually the minority.
As far as my issue with youtube... not sure what your getting at. I don't believe I ever said MY issue was anyone else s. Just as your issue with everyone "Crying" is your issue. However to say my personal opinion isn't very good is subjective and doesn't really even add to the conversation does it? Though I do think its worth mentioning I stated MY issue/opinion and not THE ISSUE. Does that make sense? Trying to dispute someones personal thoughts is hopeless unless they have a 10 second memory.
No, their doing this because a few people cried wolf and made a huge deal out of something minor. How long have these advertisers had their ads on YouTube? Are you suggesting they had no inclination that their ads may or may not end up next to videos that someone would find offensive? Well its possible if we could see a advertiser contract saying they were against it... however I personally am willing to bet the advertisers didn't give a crap until recently. As far as who to side with... I am a bit confused. You seem to think the people getting paid are leeches. That's not how it works. Youtube pays content creators x amount for x amount of visits to their content. As advertisers pay to be put on content that gets the most exposure its simple advertising really. So content creators are not really leeches. They are in fact why people visit youtube and arguably the reason why the advertisers get traffic. So if you have a controversial video that is getting millions of likes advertisers who do stick with the program will get that many more visitors. Survival of the most business driven no? Ahh but now we are arguing which came first the chicken or the dozen eggs...


Glad you like the joke.

Not going back into the differences, already explained it with the comedies. If I am going to be butt of someone's joke, and I am fully aware that is the plan ...then I have no reason to be upset. (Going to a comedy show) If someone decides to make me a joke ...then it might not go as peacefully. IT's okay to laugh at yourself, it not okay to let people think you are a joke.

Yup, all this crying is my issue.
It's a bunch of pointless complaints that serve no purpose whatsoever.

Look people who upload their content there gets a free service.
A secure place to put their ...content.
A free place for streaming and to display their stuff to the world.
Ordinarily to do that, you would have to pay for the site. You would have to pay to design the space, and then you would have to pay for the bandwidth. You are getting this for free.
Freeloading...leeching off of it....
Millions of videos, more than they can possible afford without having outside help.
Advertisers/or subscription.

Advertisers work best, so now they have to keep them happy.
Otherwise, freeloaders will have to pay ...subscription.

This isn't chicken and the egg. This is entitlement issues that everyone is always talking about. You want to make the rules for something you don't own, something you don't pay for, and something you have been getting for free.
Like that kid that comes over, and brings nothing ...not even the ball, but start telling everyone who can play with it.

If you don't like their rules, make your own site.
Not go look for another place to leech from, but literally make your own, pay for it and everything.
Then you won't complain so much, because then you will know what it takes to keep, maintain, and design one.
Otherwise, you are getting something for nothing...so you have nothing to complain about..





20760 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
48 / M / Auburn, Washington
Offline
Posted 9/4/17

Rujikin wrote:

Its quite sad to see youtube/google destroying peoples livelyhoods


Maybe those people shouldn't have made it their livelihood to post racist shit on YouTube.

I mean, it's not like the day of the racist is on the horizon or anything. The general consensus is that racism is bad and racists can go to hell because fuck them, and that position is growing in popularity every day. So I'd say racism is pretty damn far from being a growth industry, and anyone heavily leveraged in it should probably diversify.

26716 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M
Offline
Posted 9/4/17
I personally think it's more find something to do with your time then rely on YouTube then sit at home and eat chips all day.
I remember seeing someone who used their children to find quick revenue by what may or may not be classified as child abuse. (for any court to decide.)
So people will do anything to anyone right or wrong for views because views = money! Now advertisers don't like it shock horror!
Also garbage like "fake news" soon a something stupid is announced release a video asap taking about it. No fact checking to see if it's made up or not. Free and easy views which turns into free and easy money, Zero talent required!!
Before anyone cares enough to correct it it's onto the next stupid thing. What do you do if you if something like that? dislike their video? Call them out? don't bother with anything?

With the rise of Patreon people just see YouTube as a cash cow. Two lots of money for the same thing.
Specially when i see "Hey I need a video editor for my YouTube videos so sponsor me. Blah blah."
Maybe id feel sorry if people actually did the work themselves or did some amount of effort.
I don't want a actual job I want my internet job! So please help me. So it's up to you to fund my lifestyle! like, comment, subscribe, spam your friends and total strangers! Lots of people on CR oblige with the last one.

Maybe alphabet inc are going too far in some aspects. But personally I think they need to drop revenue sharing for all things. To go back to uploading for fun instead of what stupid crap do I need to do to become popular today?!?!
Then maybe reward people who deserve with Red shows/sponsored channels instead of the I'm entitled! everyone. That way people will put in effort.
If you prove CNN/Fox News/BBC consistently wrong then get a YouTube red sponsored journalism channel.
If you are constantly funny get a YouTube red sponsored comedy/entertainment channel.
ETC If they did that I would use YouTube red even offering 6 months free still is a nope.

My other favorite is post fake video titles with fake video thumbnails.
Instead of here is me playing Pokemon go when the video is 20mins of how to score free pokecoins from some survey which does nothing but steal your details then spam your friends and followers on Facebook and or Twitter. They had millions of views and half a million dislikes and likely a bag of money waiting for them.

Until YouTube red existed YouTube was making a massive loss (no idea if red has seen it turn a profit). So it isn't like YouTube was/is rolling around in big bags of money because of it's users content.

If YouTube does in fact die then I think it's well deserved that it jumped the shark and caused it's own downfall long before 2017.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.