First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  Next  Last
Death Penalty Debate
Posted 2/11/09
nah, let them rot in jail! XD death penalty would just end their misery! XD
462 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24
Offline
Posted 10/8/09
death penalty deters crime.

that's my premise as of the moment.
Posted 10/8/09
The chair. The chair XD

11716 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F
Offline
Posted 10/8/09
Well life is one of the human rights,so killing is forbidden by law...
But can a person who has killed,and raped so may other people,still be called human?
I think someone with that behavior can only harm the society..
People don't really change..especially not that much..
4302 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
forgot where
Offline
Posted 10/8/09

tweexar wrote:

death penalty deters crime.

that's my premise as of the moment.


death penalty only deters the person who did the crime... we dont even see the person die, so it certainly doesnt deter other criminals...and LIFE in prison deters the person who did the crime as well...besides is death really punishment? peace over war
4302 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
forgot where
Offline
Posted 10/8/09

missa-cici wrote:

Well life is one of the human rights,so killing is forbidden by law...
But can a person who has killed,and raped so may other people,still be called human?
I think someone with that behavior can only harm the society..
People don't really change..especially not that much..


redefining humanity is a dangerous game your playing, no where in history has anyone succeeded from redefining what a human is.

Crime is a social problem...its as natural as you having to eat to survive...peace over war
4302 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
forgot where
Offline
Posted 10/8/09

tham wrote:

it should be allowed because
1. retribution, "a life for a life", this only applies to murderers etc.
2. deterrence, to make potential criminals think twice before committing crimes because they are reminded of the heavy repercussions once they get caught
3. closure for victim's family, cause they wouldn't feel comfortable when they know that the criminal is still alive
4. criminals who are kept in jails are using the taxpayer's money, and we wouldn't want that, right?
5. some crimes(e.g. murder) are serious to the point that the only way to deal with it is to use the death penalty
6. some criminals are beyond rehabilitation(e.g. serial rapists/murderers)


"2 deterrence, to make potential criminals think twice before committing crimes because they are reminded of the heavy repercussions once they get caught"

statisticly this is untrue, besides criminals dont believe they will get caught...and most dont. Besides, in the USA we dont have public executions. So your not detering ne one.

"3. closure for victim's family, cause they wouldn't feel comfortable when they know that the criminal is still alive"

depends on the family, some would find peace in forgiving the criminal- watch ophra.


"4. criminals who are kept in jails are using the taxpayer's money, and we wouldn't want that, right?"

death penatly cost more, besides the way its carried out in the USA, people tend ot live another 50 yrs on death row, some arnt kiled at all.

"5. some crimes(e.g. murder) are serious to the point that the only way to deal with it is to use the death penalty"

or life in prison? besides, serious crimes are generally felonies. White colar workers steal millions of dollars through thier jobs, but people dont care about those types of crimes because they arent personal, even though it hurts the economy a lot more then your avaerge robber stealing $400.

"6. some criminals are beyond rehabilitation(e.g. serial rapists/murderers"

then put them in the crazy house..murderers ca nbe rehabilitated...peace over war


4302 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
forgot where
Offline
Posted 10/8/09

red3finition wrote:

but then what? jails with the current system are over crowded as it is. you know here in nevada, they are cutting afterschool, music, tutoring, and many other benefits for children to and shifting those funds to build more prisons. yea. and nevada is one of the states that doesnt have the death penalty.
o my last post was in response to a1q2s3 btw..


and the death penatly would change all of this how? and why? Felonies happen 10% of the time, those punishable by death may happen only less than 1% (depending on what consitutes as a crime punishable by death). Just how many prisoners would die? would it be enough to make a difference? btw, does Nevada have the bargain pleas?
if prisons are over crowded, make less laws. peace over war
4302 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
forgot where
Offline
Posted 10/8/09

sheighton wrote:


MicherreVenette15 wrote:

I looked for this topic and found none. If there is one, go remove this or lock it please.

Personally, I'm against it. If you look closely, it's against the law but the law still does it. According to Amendment 13, "Excessive bail shall not be required, nor excessive fines imposed, nor cruel and unusual punishments inflicted", but isn't killing/executing an unusual and cruel punishment especially if the person is innocent?


Actually no...It is far less cruel and unusual than imprisoning them, where the environment tears apart their very mind and soul, often perpetuating ones involvement in crime after release. Often there has been an emphasis in the modern Western society in making execution as swift and painless as possible.


The Death Penalty is also against most religions such as Christianity. One of the more important in the Ten Commandments which is 'Thou shall not kill' no matter what the crime the individual has committed.

Since 1973, at least 121 people have been released from death row after evidence of their innocence emerged. During the same period of time, over 982 people have been executed. Thus, for every eight people executed, we have found one person on death row who never should have been convicted. These statistics represent an intolerable risk of executing the innocent.


Execution of the innocent is indeed unforgivable and indeed it is a failure of our legal system when such a thing occurs, but a Christian would easily see that an innocent person who happens to be righteous and believes in God would go to Heaven.


Our capital punishment system is unreliable. A recent study by Columbia University Law School found that two thirds of all capital trials contained serious errors. When the cases were retried, over 80% of the defendants were not sentenced to death and 7% were completely acquitted.


Still more often reliable than it is unreliable...Human judgment is not always perfect you know; we do make mistakes...


And I'm not saying that we should let them go if they killed a hundred people. I'm saying that they should just keep them in jail for life. Will a quick death teach them a lesson than having to rot in jail and keep thinking of their major mistake? Think outside the box.


And going back to cruel and unusual punishment...Shall we rack them while we are at it? Anyways, you do realize how much more expensive it is to confine them than it is to terminate them, right? Incarceration requires large-scale, complex, state of the art prisons that need people to run them - an expensive endeavor - space becomes limited; more must be built...See a pattern?


So tell me, are you against the death penalty or for it. And why?


Personally, I do not particularly like the death penalty as is, but I do believe that it is necessary...Reform in the courts might help a bit, but the real problem lies in why there are people willing to commit crimes, like murder, and thus be deserving of the death penalty in the first place...Might we find a way of improving society in some way to prevent such people from being created? Fix the environment that they are brought up in, [largely] fix the problem...Or maybe we could just go back to public executions; then again living in a state of fear is not all that fun and it would require that the US become more like a police state to be able to do it...Oh well, I digress...


"but the real problem lies in why there are people willing to commit crimes, like murder, and thus be deserving of the death penalty in the first place...Might we find a way of improving society in some way to prevent such people from being created? Fix the environment that they are brought up in, [largely] fix the problem...Or maybe we could just go back to public executions; then again living in a state of fear is not all that fun and it would require that the US become more like a police state to be able to do it...Oh well, I digress... :blush"

no, u cant "fix it" or "prevent it". crime is a social problem, and is every bit as natural as your biological functions. Murders are already rare as it is- according to statistics.

and by fixing the environment, u r getting into rehibilitation, which makes u sound like u r agaisnt the death penalty....peace over war
4302 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
forgot where
Offline
Posted 10/8/09

abel89 wrote:

I strongly support the death penalty, if some one was dumb enough to kill one of MINE and was allowed to live the rest of his life in prison, I'd be posted outside of that court house with my rifle cocked with me in a good sniper hide, or if God forbid he gets off scott free, you can look forward to finding his body parts

Sure you could argue that whole "having time to think of the crime" thing, but guess what?, there are people in this world who kill and could never suffer one ounce of guilt, Me being a prime example, if I feel I have good reason to kill someone, I would do it in half of a heartbeat

But that's how I operate, in the words of Frank Castle"it's not revenge, it's punishment", and I have varying degrees of pinishment I can inflict on another human being for varying offenses against me and my family, Death being the most severe, it's about the same with the law

Edit=and it's not taking God's job and judging another person, it's more like setting up the meeting and speeding up the process a bit


that goes into vigilanty justice, which isnt lawful by any means...2 completly different processes...peace over war
4302 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
forgot where
Offline
Posted 10/8/09

digs wrote:

@ hokie. Well, this is the first time I heard you say something I agree with. Idk all your beliefs, chances are there is more the one thing I agree with you on.

And I think the death penalty is only acceptible in cases of murder. If someone is willing to conciously and willingly kill another human being. Then they forefit their life. If you kill someone for trying to kill you or someone else it's self defence. What if you got there too late and he already killed them? If you can kill trying to protect someone before the murderer kills them, then why shouldn't it be right to seek justice if he succeeds?


once again, that goes into vigilanty justice, which isnt lawful by any means...the law is not to be confused with that kind of justice. Laws should be based on what is functional, not morals. Use what ever works. peace over war
4302 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
forgot where
Offline
Posted 10/8/09

mastamonkyma wrote:

i dont care if every one think that Death Penalty is bad i fell that is is good, great even, i am from texas and texas has one of the lowest crime rate in the USA why because we will kill you....now yes good people sometimes get the Death Penalty...but they where still in prison and the people that say OMG you should not kill them has never seen or been to prison it is murder...come on...the Death Penalty is not crule and once again i point to prison now that is a messed...so before we go and start talking about how people in prison are people and have rights, stop and think about the person they killed, the famliy that is missing there dad, brother,mother...or that girl that cant look any one in the face cause she was Raped...when you do something that bad you need to DIE.


" i am from texas and texas has one of the lowest crime rate in the USA why because we will kill you"

lol, thats not the reason why texans are just crazy , and will just shoot you for any reason its not the death penatly that does most of the killing, its the citizens peace over war
8138 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / North Carolina
Offline
Posted 10/8/09

JJT2 wrote:


abel89 wrote:

I strongly support the death penalty, if some one was dumb enough to kill one of MINE and was allowed to live the rest of his life in prison, I'd be posted outside of that court house with my rifle cocked with me in a good sniper hide, or if God forbid he gets off scott free, you can look forward to finding his body parts

Sure you could argue that whole "having time to think of the crime" thing, but guess what?, there are people in this world who kill and could never suffer one ounce of guilt, Me being a prime example, if I feel I have good reason to kill someone, I would do it in half of a heartbeat

But that's how I operate, in the words of Frank Castle"it's not revenge, it's punishment", and I have varying degrees of pinishment I can inflict on another human being for varying offenses against me and my family, Death being the most severe, it's about the same with the law

Edit=and it's not taking God's job and judging another person, it's more like setting up the meeting and speeding up the process a bit


that goes into vigilanty justice, which isnt lawful by any means...2 completly different processes...peace over war




No, it goes into upholding FAMILY law,
which is FAR more important to me,
you kill a member of MY family, you just lost ANY protection you had under the "Law",
and we WILL find you, and we WILL kill you.

The Law doesn't matter when it's for family
4302 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
forgot where
Offline
Posted 10/8/09

abel89 wrote:


JJT2 wrote:


abel89 wrote:

I strongly support the death penalty, if some one was dumb enough to kill one of MINE and was allowed to live the rest of his life in prison, I'd be posted outside of that court house with my rifle cocked with me in a good sniper hide, or if God forbid he gets off scott free, you can look forward to finding his body parts

Sure you could argue that whole "having time to think of the crime" thing, but guess what?, there are people in this world who kill and could never suffer one ounce of guilt, Me being a prime example, if I feel I have good reason to kill someone, I would do it in half of a heartbeat

But that's how I operate, in the words of Frank Castle"it's not revenge, it's punishment", and I have varying degrees of pinishment I can inflict on another human being for varying offenses against me and my family, Death being the most severe, it's about the same with the law

Edit=and it's not taking God's job and judging another person, it's more like setting up the meeting and speeding up the process a bit


that goes into vigilanty justice, which isnt lawful by any means...2 completly different processes...peace over war




No, it goes into upholding FAMILY law,
which is FAR more important to me,
you kill a member of MY family, you just lost ANY protection you had under the "Law",
and we WILL find you, and we WILL kill you.

The Law doesn't matter when it's for family


you must be from Africa...either way this concept is not what where arguing. peace over war
8138 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / North Carolina
Offline
Posted 10/8/09

JJT2 wrote:


abel89 wrote:


JJT2 wrote:


abel89 wrote:

I strongly support the death penalty, if some one was dumb enough to kill one of MINE and was allowed to live the rest of his life in prison, I'd be posted outside of that court house with my rifle cocked with me in a good sniper hide, or if God forbid he gets off scott free, you can look forward to finding his body parts

Sure you could argue that whole "having time to think of the crime" thing, but guess what?, there are people in this world who kill and could never suffer one ounce of guilt, Me being a prime example, if I feel I have good reason to kill someone, I would do it in half of a heartbeat

But that's how I operate, in the words of Frank Castle"it's not revenge, it's punishment", and I have varying degrees of pinishment I can inflict on another human being for varying offenses against me and my family, Death being the most severe, it's about the same with the law

Edit=and it's not taking God's job and judging another person, it's more like setting up the meeting and speeding up the process a bit


that goes into vigilanty justice, which isnt lawful by any means...2 completly different processes...peace over war




No, it goes into upholding FAMILY law,
which is FAR more important to me,
you kill a member of MY family, you just lost ANY protection you had under the "Law",
and we WILL find you, and we WILL kill you.

The Law doesn't matter when it's for family


you must be from Africa...either way this concept is not what where arguing. peace over war



It went into that territory once YOU censured ME for my views,
you don't want to get bit?
don't get into the lion's face

You want peace?
then don't piss off the wrong people
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.