Artist tries to get past general notions of what's changed and details the specifics
While there's plenty of variation in anime character design at any given time, there are also trends that emerge over the years. Today, artist miyoji tried to get past general notions of what's changed and examine the specifics.
- Thick lines
- Strong emphasis on pen pressure
- Defined shadow and highlight
- Big hair with bundled strands
- Large highlight in the eye with black pupil
- Eyes are shaped as oblong circle
- Nose drawn as hiragana "ku"
- Mouth is placed higher in the face
- Thin delicate lines
- Conservative use of shadow and highlight
- Hair does not have too much volume
- Hair not in bundled strands
- Highlight in eyes are small
- Pupils are not filled
- Circle shaped eyes
- Nose is expressed as a dot
- Mouth is placed low in the face
Some older favorite guides along these lines...
K-on! through the decades
'60s - '80s
'80s - '90s