Adaptation of Hideaki Sorachi's historical / comedy / science fiction manga aims at a 2017 release
Eight additional actors have joined Shun Oguri for the cast of the upcoming live-action Gintama film, based on Hideaki Sorachi's comedic action manga that pits samurai vs. aliens in Edo period Japan. The cast members and their respective roles include (from top to bottom and left to right):
- Shun Oguri as Gintoki Sakata. (previously announced)
- Masaki Suda as Shinpachi Shimura.
- Kanna Hashimoto as Kagura.
- Masami Nagasawa as Tae Shimura.
- Masaki Okada as Kotaro Katsura.
- Tsuyoshi Muro as Gengai Hiraga.
- Yūya Yagira as Toshiro Hijikata.
- Ryo Yoshizawa as Sougo Okita.
- And Kankuro Nakamura VI as Isao Kondo.
The original Gintama manga is serialized in Shueisha's Weekly Shōnen Jump manga magazine. A TV anime adaptation is also available via streaming on Crunchyroll. The live-action Gintama film is directed by Yuichi Fukuda. The film began principal photography in July of 2016 and is currently aiming to be released in Japanese theaters in 2017.
Source: Comic Natalie
Paul Chapman is the host of The Greatest Movie EVER! Podcast and GME! Anime Fun Time.