Anime Fans Pick Their Favorite Long-Distance Relationship
Find out which couple beat the heroes of "your name."
In Japan, December 21 is considered "Long-Distance Love Day" -- where "1221" represents a pair of solitary people at a distance (1) who meet halfway to become a pair (2). In honor of the day, anime news site Anime! Anime! ran a poll asking fans to choose their favorite long-distance couples in anime -- separated by time, space, secret identity, or any of the other things that can come between a pair.
Naturally, your name. springs to mind immediately... but the pair only came in at #2! Who beat them? We have the top ten below:
10. Batou and Motoko - Ghost in the Shell: Innocence
9. Takaki and Akari - 5 Centimeters Per Second
7 (tie). Mikako and Noboru - Voices of a Distant Star
7 (tie). Haruto and Yuzuki - A Town Where You Live
6. Arata and Chihaya - Chihayafuru
5. Seiji and Shizuku - Whisper of the Heart
4. Kotaro and Akane - Tsukigakirei
3. Chiaki and Makoto - The Girl Who Leapt Through Time
2. Taki and Mitsuha - your name.
1. Shinichi and Ran, Case Closed (Detective Conan)
Did your favorite couple make the list? Is there anyone else they should have added? Let us know what you think!
Source: Anime! Anime!
Kara Dennison is responsible for multiple webcomics, blogs and runs interviews for (Re)Generation Who and PotterVerse, and is half the creative team behind the OEL light novel series Owl's Flower. She blogs at karadennison.com and tweets @RubyCosmos. Her latest stories can be found in Whoblique Strategies.