The novel series celebrates its 25th anniversary this year
The highly-anticipated stage play adaptation of Yoshinobu Akita's fantasy light novel series Majutsushi Orphen/Sorcerous Stabber Orphen finally kicked off at the Shinjukumura LIVE theater in Tokyo on August 15. Its four-minute opening sequence to introduce its main cast, including 38-year-old Shinya Matsumoto as the protagonist Orphen, is now streamed on ILLUMINUS (one of the three companies in the play's production committee)'s official YouTube channel.
The long-running novel's first stage play adaptation is directed by Ichidai Matsuda (Magical Suite Prism Nana, Wake Up,Girls! stage play) on a script by Takehiro Yoshida (Infini-T Force, W'z stage play). It is scheduled to be performed at the 225-capacity theater seven times from until August 18. The tickets for the final day performance are almost sold out.
"Sorcerous Stabber Orphen" stage play opening sequnece:
Message from Shinya Matsumoto (Orphen):
"I am Shinya Matsumoto from Studio Life, playing Orphen. I feel so happy to join this Orphen series that have been loved by so many people and to play the character Orphen. I will put my soul into playing Orphen to make the fans of the original novel series truly enjoy. Please come to the theater, we will be waiting for you!"
- Orphen: Shinya Matsumoto (38/Yuki Souma in Fruits Basket stage play)
- Cleao Everlasting: Miho Amane (ex-AIKATSU☆STARS! member)
- Majic Lin: Nagato Okui (18/Kachiro Kato in The Prince of Tennis Musical)
- Volkan: Kuruto Nishio (28/actor unit STYLISH BOYS member)
- Dortin: Yuuki Nakamura (29)
- Azalie Cait Sith: Mio Hanana (ex-Takarazuka actress)
- Childman Powderfield: Justin Tomimori (29/Shun Daimonji in Kamen Rider Fourze)
Orphen character visual:
©Yoshinobu Akita/TO Books/Stage Play "Sorcerous Stabber Orphen" Production Committee