The series handsprings onto Japanese TV screens on October 10
It's time to chalk up your hands as MAPPA's original, gymnastics TV anime Taiso Samurai is about to jump up onto the still rings and pirouette its way to a perfect score on October 10. A new visual, trailer, and more of the star-studdered cast was announced today on the official Twitter account for the series for the newest TV anime from the team behind ZOMBIE LAND SAGA.
Joining the cast of athletes are the following 12 new cast members:
- Atsuko Tanaka will be voicing Mari Aragaki
- Kotono Mitsuishi will be voicing Tomoyo Aragaki
- Kappei Yamaguchi will be voicing BB Aragaki
- Hiroyuki Yoshino will be voicing Tomoki Takizawa
- Nana Mizuki will be voicing Ayu
- Daisuke Hirakawa will be voicing Nobuhiko Nakanomori
- Kaito Ishikawa will be voicing Hikaru Dojima
- Daisuke Ono will be voicing Shigeru Nishikiori
- Kengo Kawanishi will be voicing Hiro Okamachi
- Hiroshi Kamiya will be voicing Ryu Ryushou
- Minami Tanaka will be voicing Kitty Chan
- Rikiya Koyama will be voicing Brittney
Set in 2002, the story follows the 29-year-old former member of the Japanese men's gymnastics team, Shotaro Aragaki, who can't quite compete like he used to. While he continues to train, his coach, Noriyuki Amakusa, urges him to retire. However, his devotion to the sport of gymnastics, his continued training, and support from his daughter Rei push him in another direction.
Original teaser visual:
ZOMBIE LAND SAGA episode director Hisatoshi Shimizu directs the series, with ZOMBIE LAND SAGA series composer Shigeru Murakoshi also working on Taiso Samurai alongside character designer Kasumi Fukagawa (also on ZOMBIE LAND SAGA) and chief animation director Fumihide Sai (ZOMBIE LAND SAGA).
The MAPPA produced series is scheduled to start on October 10 at 25:30 (effectively 1:30 AM on October 11) on TV Asahi and affiliated stations in Japan.
Source: Taiso Samurai on Twitter
Daryl Harding is a Japan Correspondent for Crunchyroll News. He also runs a YouTube channel about Japan stuff called TheDoctorDazza, tweets at @DoctorDazza, and posts photos of his travels on Instagram.