Playboard has finalized the top 30 VTuber super chat earners for 2020
(via Coco on Twitter)
In the year that was, 2020 had one shining light that brought people happiness; having VTubers invade our homes and bring us comfort through video games, head pats, and bonks. These VTubers were highly rewarded for giving us this comfort, with the top five virtual avatars bringing in more than 500 million yen (US$4.8 million) in just super chats alone!
YouTube ranking site Playboard, which tracks super chats made worldwide, has finalized their numbers for 2020, giving us the top VTuber super chat earners of 2020. Hololive dominates the list, taking the top 9, with Nijisanji having coming in second on the list, and one independent VTuber in the top 30, Kusunoki Sio.
Here is the top 10:
10. Kuzuha (Nijisanji) - 54,036,176 yen (US$523,403.48)
9. Watame (Hololive) - 55,863,577 yen (US$541,103.99)
8. Korone (Hololive) - 57,418,391 yen (US$556,164.18)
7. Flare (Hololive) - 61,231,477 yen (US$593,098.37)
6. Kanata (Hololive) - 64,717,188 yen (US$626,861.56)
5. Aqua (Hololive) - 68,200,787 yen (US$660,604.28)
4. Marine (Hololive) - 78,557,326 yen (US$760,919.46)
3. Pekora (Hololive) - 100,087,915 yen (US$969,468.36)
2. Rushia (Hololive) - 130,667,882 yen (US$1,265,671.06)
1. Coco (Hololive) - 149,953,622 yen (US$1,452,475.97)
You can read the full list (with non-VTuber top super chat earners) over on Playboard, or see the top 30 VTubers over on Otakomu. Remember that these earnings are before YouTube takes their flat 30% cut, the agency fee, and any other fees (for example Apple's fee on iOS platforms).
What's interesting about the top 30 is that despite only debuting in September, three Hololive EN girls make the list, with Mori Calliope the top-earning among the first English generation at 34,333,027 yen (US$332,555.47), followed by her bird pal Takanashi Kiara and shark friend Gawr Gura. Not bad for some myths!
Daryl Harding is a Japan Correspondent for Crunchyroll News. He also runs the YouTube channel about Japan stuff called TheDoctorDazza, tweets at @DoctorDazza, and posts photos of his travels on Instagram.