Miyatake's house caught fire on May 22, which claimed the life of his wife
Dirty Pair creator and fellow Studio Nue founder Haruka Takachiho posted updates on Kazutaka Miyatake's condition after being admitted to the hospital on May 22 after his house caught on fire. The house fire, which started in the kitchen of his Yokosuka-based wooden home, claimed the life of his 60-year-old wife, while Miyatake managed to escape.
ご心配をおかけしましたが、弊社所属のデザイナー、宮武一貴、本日退院いたしました。多数のお悔やみ、励ましのお言葉に対し、あらためて感謝申し上げます。ありがとうございました。— 高千穂遙 (@takachihoharuka) May 28, 2021
Takachiho posted on Twitter that Miyatake (whose real last name is Watanabe), has been discharged from the hospital and is in good condition. Takachiho thanked fans for their support and condolences during this time.
A few days ago, Takachiho clarified that Miyatake had suffered mild carbon monoxide poisoning from the smoke. He wasn't able to visit Miyatake in the hospital during his stay due to coronavirus-based regulations, but a representative from Studio Nue has able to speak to staff at the hospital.
We send our condolences to Kazutaka Miyatake and his family and friends on the loss.
Daryl Harding is a Japan Correspondent for Crunchyroll News. He also runs the YouTube channel about Japan stuff called TheDoctorDazza, tweets at @DoctorDazza, and posts photos of his travels on Instagram.