Plot details, main character bios and designs were also revealed
Mobile Suit Gundam is shooting for the stars this October with its first anime series in seven years and first-ever female lead protagonist, building upon March's epic teaser visual and trailer with the reveal of another teaser visual, plus main staff and character details.
Five character bios and designs were added to the official website (cast members are yet to be announced):
A second-year student in the piloting department, who transferred to the school from Mercury. Suletta is timid and somewhat lacks communication skills.
An attractive and academically distinguished second-year student in the management strategy department. Miorine is the only daughter of Delling Rembran, the president of the Beneritt Group and chairman of the school's board.
She has a strong rebellious feeling towards her father.
An heir to Jeturk Heavy Machinery, one of the group's three branches, and a third-year student in the piloting department. Guel has a rough temperament and is quick to anger. As the ace pilot of Jeturk House, he has absolute confidence in his own skills.
The top pilot backed by Peil Technologies, one of the group's three branches. A third-year student in the piloting department. Elan is a taciturn and solitary person, who doesn't open his heart to anyone in school. He has an interest in Suletta.
An adopted child of the CEO of Grassley Defense Systems, one of the group's three branches. A third-year student in the piloting department who leads Grassley House. Although still a student Shaddiq has shown his skill in business too, he is a candidate for next generation executive.
Designs and names for mobile suits piloted by four of the above characters were also detailed:
Gundam Aerial, piloted by Suletta
Dilanza, piloted by Guel
Gundam Pharact, piloted by Elan
Michaelis, piloted by Shaddiq
Hiroshi Kobayashi, who directed TRIGGER's original anime KIZNAIVER, is helming the series at studio Sunrise alongside Code Geass co-creator Ichiro Okouchi as scriptwriter and series composer, joined by this full platoon of staff members:
- Assistant Direction: Ryo Ando (Interviews with Monster Girls)
- Original Character Design: Mogumo
- Character Design: Marie Tagashira, Shuri Toida, Hirotoshi Takaya
- Mechanical Design: JNTHED, Kanetake Ebikawa, Ko Inaba, Ippei Gyobu, Kenji Teraoka, Takayuki Yanase
- Chief Mecha Animation: Shinya Kusumegi, Kanta Suzuki, Kiyoaki Maeda
- Setting Research: Seiichi Shirato
- Setting Cooperation: HISADAKE
- Science Fiction Research: Yuya Takashima
- Mechanical Coordination: Ryoji Kansai
- Prop Design: E wo Kaku PETER, Esuthio
- Concept Art: Lin Junbun
- Technical Direction: Yohei Miyahara
- Art Design: Tomoaki Okada, Kenichi Morioka, Kazushige Kanehira, Junichiro Tamamori, Yasuyoshi Uetsu
- Art Direction: Ayumi Sato
- Color Design: Kazuko Kikuchi
- 3DCG Direction: Shinichi Miyakaze
- Monitor Graphics Design: Kaori Seki
- Photography: Shota Kodera
- Editing: Kengo Shigemura
- Sound Direction: Jin Aketagawa
- Music: Takashi Ohmama (Castle Town Dandelion)
A prologue special will premiere as part of the "GUNDAM NEXT FUTURE -LINK THE UNIVERSE-" event at the Gundam Factory Yokohama and other life-size Gundam locations throughout Japan and in Shanghai, as well as in Bandai Namco's upcoming Metaverse project on July 14.
The official English website for Mobile Suit Gundam: The Witch from Mercury describes the anime's story as such:
A.S. (Ad Stella) 122―
An era when a multitude of corporations have entered space and built a huge economic system.
A lone girl from the remote planet Mercury transfers to the Asticassia School of Technology,
run by the Beneritt Group which dominates the mobile suit industry.
Her name is Suletta Mercury.
With a scarlet light burning in her pure heart,
this girl walks step by step through a new world.
Mobile Suit Gundam: The Witch from Mercury is currently scheduled to air on Sundays from October 2022; an exact premiere date is yet to be announced.
Der shy man behind @Shymander, Liam is a timezone-fluid Aussie with a distinct fondness for anime, Eurovision and creating odd stats projects despite hating math.