This year’s other honorees include early Ghibli producer, Ashita no Joe animator
Image via Netflix
Tokyo Anime Award Festival 2023 revealed its list of Achievement Award winners for the year, honoring those who have made significant contributions to the medium of anime over their lifetimes. This year, seven members of the anime industry have been honored from multiple different fields, including writing, producing, animating and voice acting.
Here is the full list in the order of the image above (left to right, top to bottom):
- Toru Hara, founder of Topcraft, the precursor to Studio Ghibli, and producer on early Ghibli titles Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind and Grave of the Fireflies.
- Yoshio Urasawa, screenwriter who wrote scripts for anime such as Lupin the Third PART 2, Nintama Rantaro, Digimon Adventure as well as various Tokusatsu series.
- Akihiro Kanayama, animator who worked on the original Ashita no Joe, Combattler V, Future Robot Daltanious.
- Kazutaka Miyatake, mechanical designer known for his work on the Macross franchise, DAICON III and IV and Mobile Suit Gundam SEED Destiny.
- Iwao Yamaki, cinematographer who worked on the original Lupin the 3rd TV anime, Royal Space Force - The Wings of Honnêamise anime film and produced Metropolis.
- Shizuo Kurahashi, sound effects artist who brought the soundscapes of Afro Samurai: Resurrection, Akira, Attack on Titan, Cowboy Bebop and more to life.
- Motomu Kiyokawa, the late voice actor who played Fuyutsuki in the Evangelion franchise, Tem Ray in Mobile Suit Gundam, Tippy in Is the Order a Rabbit? and many more.
Congratulations to all the well-deserved honorees who have helped shape anime into what it is today.
Source: Tokyo Anime Award Festival 2023
Daryl Harding is a Senior Japan Correspondent for Crunchyroll News. He also runs a YouTube channel about Japan stuff called TheDoctorDazza, tweets at @DoctorDazza, and posts photos of his travels on Instagram.