13 manga titles get the nod for best manga from the last year
The Japanese literary giant Kodansha have unveiled their nominees for the company's 45th Annual Manga Award in the categories of shonen, shojo, and general manga. That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime, the Atsushi Ohkubo-created Fire Force, Yudai Debata's Futari Solo Camp, and 10 other titles have been given the nomination nod from Kodansha.
Here is the full list of manga nominated in their categories:
- Fire Force, by Atsushi Ohkubo
- Frieren: Beyond Journey's End, written by Kanehito Yamada and illustrated by Tsukasa Abe
- That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime, by Taiki Kawakami (from the original light novel series written by Fuse and illustrated by Mitz Vah)
- Blue Lock, written by Muneyuki Kaneshiro and illustrated by Yusuke Nomura
- Defying Kurosaki-kun, by Makino
- A Condition Called Love, by Megumi Morino
- Honey Lemon Soda, by Mayu Morita
- A Sign of Affection, by suu Morishita
- I Want to Hold Aono-kun so Badly I Could Die, by Umi Shiina
- Sweat and Soap, by Kintetsu Yamada
- Hakozume: Koban Joshi no Gyakushu, by Miko Yasu
- Futari Solo Camp, by Yudai Debata
- Yuria Sensei no Akai Ito, by Kiwa Irie
The winners of each category will be announced on May 13. Last year, Tokyo Revengers took the prize for shonen manga, Our Precious Conversations took out the shojo prize, and Blue Period took out the general prize at the 44th annual manga awards.
Daryl Harding is a Japan Correspondent for Crunchyroll News. He also runs a YouTube channel about Japan stuff called TheDoctorDazza, tweets at @DoctorDazza, and posts photos of his travels on Instagram.