All of the cover illustrations are newly drawn by Yoshiyuki Sadamoto
KADOKAWA announced today that it will start releasing a seven-volume collector's edition of the Neon Genesis Evangelion manga (manga illustration: Yoshiyuki Sadamoto / original story: khara) for three consecutive months from June 26, 2020. Pre-orders will be accpeted until April 8.
The manga edition illustrated by the anime's character designer Yoshiyuki Sadamoto started serialization in the February 1995 issue of the publisher's Monthly Shonen Ace, 10 months prior to the broadcast of the TV anime. After taking several breaks, the final chapter to conclude its 18-year serialization, "LAST STAGE," was published in the magazine's July 2013 issue and its final 14th tankobon volume was released in November 2014. A total print run of the 14 volumes in Japan has reached 25 million copies, according to the press release.
All of the cover illustrations of the collector's edition are newly drawn by Sadamoto. Each volume will include the contents of the original release's two volumes, and come with a bonus material listed below.
June 26, 2020 release:
- Volume 1 (1,800 yen): Postcard book featuring the Eva illustrations by Sadamoto
- Volume 2 (1,600 yen): Colored paper (15 cm x 13.5 cm) with an illustration of Rei Ayanami and a printed autograph by Sadamoto
- Volume 3 (1,600 yen): Colored paper with an illustration of Asuka Langley Soryu and a printed autograph by Sadamoto
July 27, 2020 release:
- Volume 4 (1,800 yen): A5-size illustration book Part. 1 (50 pages)
- Volume 5 (1,600 yen): Colored paper with an illustration of Shinji Ikari & Kaworu Nagisa and a printed autograph by Sadamoto
August 26, 2020 release:
- Volume 6 (1,800 yen): A5-size illustration book Part. 2 (50 pages)
- Volume 7 (2,400 yen): Acryl stands of Shinji, Asuka, Rei, and Kaworu using the collector's edition's cover illustrations.
Original tankobon 1st and 14th volume covers:
Source: KADOKAWA press release
illustration: Yoshiyuki Sadamoto ©khara