Post Reply Any update on the buffering, audio looping, or frozen frame issues?
21 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M
Offline
Posted 9/9/17 , edited 9/10/17
So I've had buffering, audio looping, and frozen frame issues since the Nougat update rolled out for android. These issues basically make a single 22 minute episode take anywhere from 40 minutes to an hour to watch, which really isn't worth it at that point. I haven't been on here in a while and I was just wondering if anybody ever found a solution to this problem, because at this point it seems like crunchyroll really just doesn't care about their android users.
12583 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Canada
Offline
Posted 9/9/17 , edited 9/10/17

BadMelody wrote:

So I've had buffering, audio looping, and frozen frame issues since the Nougat update rolled out for android. These issues basically make a single 22 minute episode take anywhere from 40 minutes to an hour to watch, which really isn't worth it at that point. I haven't been on here in a while and I was just wondering if anybody ever found a solution to this problem, because at this point it seems like crunchyroll really just doesn't care about their android users.


Are you by any chance running anti-virus?
21 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M
Offline
Posted 9/9/17 , edited 9/10/17
Well I have Avast running on my phone. Is that messing with the crunchyroll app while it's on?
12583 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Canada
Offline
Posted 9/9/17 , edited 9/10/17
I had Bitdefender on my phone, tried to watch an episode and had this issue. As soon as I removed it, it went away.
I just installed Avast though and haven't seen this issue yet (although I haven't watched a complete episode).
You could try removing or disabling Avast to see if it helps.
21 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M
Offline
Posted 9/9/17 , edited 9/10/17
Maybe I'll try disabling or uninstalling avast and see if it works for me. This has been an issue for a while now, but I don't really hear as many people talking about it, so Idk if it actually got fixed for most or if everyone just gave up trying to get help from crunchyroll.
12583 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Canada
Offline
Posted 9/10/17 , edited 9/10/17
After completely removing my anti-virus app the problem went away (tested by watching two episodes from two different series, start to finish without pausing). Personally I want to have AV on my phone so I went searching for one that would be compatible with the Crunchyroll app. After having no luck with Bitdefender and Avast, I installed ESET mobile security and it seems to work perfectly with it (tested by watching a few episodes). The results may be different for you or anyone else.
21 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M
Offline
Posted 9/10/17 , edited 9/11/17
Well I just disabled my anti virus while on crunchyroll and I got through an episode with a lot less issues. It still had to buffer around 4 - 6 times throughout the episode, but I hardly had any other issues (It did freeze frame and then go back 5 seconds once, but no audio loops or being permanently stuck on one frame). My issue before was that it would buffer and then you would have the possibility that it would either just continue as normal (not likely though) or it would bump into any one of a variety of playback issues, so having only buffering as an issue at least makes the app usable.
12583 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Canada
Offline
Posted 9/10/17 , edited 9/11/17

BadMelody wrote:

Well I just disabled my anti virus while on crunchyroll and I got through an episode with a lot less issues. It still had to buffer around 4 - 6 times throughout the episode, but I hardly had any other issues (It did freeze frame and then go back 5 seconds once, but no audio loops or being permanently stuck on one frame). My issue before was that it would buffer and then you would have the possibility that it would either just continue as normal (not likely though) or it would bump into any one of a variety of playback issues, so having only buffering as an issue at least makes the app usable.


Are you normally able to watch videos on 720p - 1080p?
21 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M
Offline
Posted 9/10/17 , edited 9/11/17
No, I just use 480p since I'm out of the house most of the day, so I just use the t-mobile binge on thing while on mobile data. That being said, I almost never have buffering issues on YouTube, Hulu, or Netflix, so this is mainly an issue with crunchyroll.
12583 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Canada
Offline
Posted 9/11/17 , edited 9/11/17

BadMelody wrote:

No, I just use 480p since I'm out of the house most of the day, so I just use the t-mobile binge on thing while on mobile data. That being said, I almost never have buffering issues on YouTube, Hulu, or Netflix, so this is mainly an issue with crunchyroll.


So I take it you've changed the video quality settings in the app to SD? If I'm not mistaken SD is for 360p to 480p and HD (the default) is 720p to 1080p. You've probably done this already but I just thought I'd check to make sure.
21 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M
Offline
Posted 9/11/17 , edited 9/11/17
Well there's a seperate option for 480p, so I usually just use that. I've actually never even thought about using the sd setting because I've never had to lower the setting on anything else before, but that does make sense when trying to solve a buffering issue. I'll try that and tell you how it goes.
9 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 9/11/17 , edited 9/12/17
I was having this issue a few weeks ago..... Turns out the router for the internet was going, got it replaced and now I
It's good as new.
12583 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Canada
Offline
Posted 9/12/17 , edited 9/14/17

Edit: To prevent any other app from using a good chunk of the available bandwidth, I installed a firewall (specifically NetGuard) for android, to select which apps have access to the internet at any given time. It has a feature called lockdown mode, by default all apps are denied internet access but you can allow certain ones through. I have limited bandwidth so I do everything I can to use as little as possible.
25013 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 1/2/18 , edited 1/2/18
I got an answer from [email protected]!

1) (to try - didn't solve it for me) - on your device clear your cache and delete the app data before uninstalling and reinstalling the Crunchyroll app
2) (this one solved it and everything is working fine) Change your router's DNS. The instructions are here https://store.opendns.com/setup/#/. You only change DNS on the android phone, so it doesn't affect any other device (all of which were working fine), and because it's OpenDNS, everything else continues to work perfectly.

You're welcome !
11040 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / F / United States
Offline
Posted 1/8/18 , edited 1/8/18
I have been having this issue for months. It had irritated me to the point where I have thrown my phone across the room.

Nothing I have tried has worked so far. Not even changing my internet settings, and on mobile phones using cellular data, you cant change that.


Clearing the cache didn't do anything for me either. Its making me hate crunchyroll mobile and I think they need to fix this asap.
You must be logged in to post.