First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next  Last
Post Reply Love is Like a Cocktail Discussion
25685 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / Northern Ireland
Offline
Posted 10/31/17 , edited 10/31/17
Just ya'll wait for Deputy Director Shiraishi.

P.S. It's not about how quickly you get drunk, it's about how much you drink after!
21031 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / (ง •̀ω•́)ง✧
Online
Posted 11/1/17 , edited 11/1/17
Banana surprise!




74719 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
35 / M / Seattle
Offline
Posted 11/7/17 , edited 11/7/17
Episode 6

Yui finally gets some attention as this show had been all about Chisato and Sora, while Chisato's co-workers haven't been getting any attention. It turns out Yui is just like Chisato who goes into a cute trance when she drinks, but with one big difference in that she's not afraid to show it. And it turns out her husband is just like Sora. Anyway, the drink this time is Bellini, and she was in the mood for something after her proposal was chosen over Yui's, though she's feeling bad for Yui about it.
21031 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / (ง •̀ω•́)ง✧
Online
Posted 11/7/17 , edited 11/8/17
Peachy Peach

17259 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 11/7/17 , edited 11/8/17
I kind of wish Chi would tell her friends that she's a lightweight, so she doesn't drink. That way we can avoid this absolutely terrible 'oh no! I ended up in a social situation again, and inexplicably am going to refuse to explain about my antagonistic relationship with alcohol!'
74719 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
35 / M / Seattle
Offline
Posted 11/14/17 , edited 11/14/17
Episode 7

Irish coffee, it's so scary good. Despite its name, it's booze as it's whiskey mixed with coffee. Chisato sure put up quite a scene while channel flipping.
4079 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / F / The lowest stratum
Offline
Posted 11/14/17 , edited 11/15/17
This episode wasn't so bad, though their interactions still feel fake.


Yamstarch wrote:


auroraloose wrote:


Yamstarch wrote:

I personally don't really get the "X is better" comparison when they are still doing different things.

Wakakozake, the girl goes out and experiences life while drinking. In Love is like a Cocktail the girl comes home to her adult relationship and has some tender moments with her husband.

Also how is this show odd or wrong?

It's just a cute little short with cocktail drinks, recipes, and a cute relationship between spouses. If anything it's more like I can't Understand What my Husband is Saying.

Sometime I think people just try and look for things, typically negative, that just aren't there instead of just enjoying a show for what it is.


Both are shorts about a cute girl enjoying food. It's true that they do different things with that, but they both do that. As long as we don't conclude things the show really gives us no warrant for, we can see what we want in it. Indeed, each of us sees something different based on our prior experiences. As humans like order, we tend to compare things and put them in categories. What a show "is" is far more complicated than you're implying.

Anyway, I feel like the show is too fake. Chi's reactions are exaggerated, and the guy is stiff. The thing with the curry wasn't believable, and not just because the guy didn't seem to have enough time to cook it. I didn't need to watch with an overly critical eye to be bothered by that. Now, this week's episode wasn't so bad - something happening helped. But that it's trying to do unreasonable things to please the viewer is too apparent. In this way it reminds me of One Room - except with most of its sanity still intact.


And I think you're looking too deep into it and being too critical in this case. But, whatever floats your boat. If that's how you enjoy your anime, then I can't knock you for that. I am much more simple and just live in the now for the most part when I watch anime.

I'll personally keep enjoying this show in the meantime. If you're not then there isn't much point to this conversation or continuing to watch it is there?


Uh. Now, I'm not angry at all, but I think what you're saying is not good:

The reason I responded to you was that you were criticizing my and others' opinions of the show for being too negative and complex, as if we were just looking to complain. What you were doing was delegitimizing such opinions and setting yourself up as superior for "enjoying a show for what it is". Since this is an uninformed and knee-jerk reaction, and detrimental to good analysis and real enjoyment of art, I felt I should respond. In your second comment, you say there's no point in talking about this or disagreeing with you if I don't like the show, but this too is false - because, as I said, what you're doing here is delegitimizing critical analysis and disallowing space for more nuanced understandings. And while you claim not to "knock" me for my analysis, the nature and attitude of your comment do precisely that. (For example, "whatever floats your boat" is dismissive, as was your rhetorical question at the end. But it turns out I had an answer to your rhetorical question.) I wasn't out to hate Love Is Like A Cocktail, but it seems a lot like you were out to complain about people being critical of anime you like.

Maybe this is the most important point to make (and I see I made it in my previous comment): you can't talk so simply about what a show really "is". You say "it's just a cute little short" about "a cute relationship between spouses", but could it also be attempting to feed fake cuteness to people deprived of social interaction and relationships? Is it even possible for a show with a particular context to be "just" about "a cute relationship"? If you say that it can't be about such things, you're essentially enforcing your own view and disallowing other perspectives. But if it can be, then you can't say "it's just a cute little short". Indeed, even saying that implies no one is allowed to think otherwise.

I happen to like the premise of Love Is Like A Cocktail, and I continue to watch it for that reason, and because I think it can do good things. Your horizon of experiences allows you to see the show in a certain way, as does mine, and it is impossible to approach any art without such a horizon. We can talk about the intersections of those horizons, and what everyone who watches the show ought to agree on, but we won't be able to pin any of that down entirely. And as long as what we think is intelligible enough to make sense and not contradictory, it's all good: I don't have any problem with you enjoying Love Is Like A Cocktail the way you enjoy it. Where I have a problem is when you unfairly criticize my perspective as somehow needlessly negative. Your horizon of experiences is different from mine, and I might see things you don't, so don't attack me for it. And these days in particular, anti-intellectualism is gaining traction, so I am going to call out anything that's critical of complexity or nuance. Of course, I feel like you weren't really thinking about what you were saying, and that you were just unhappy that people criticize things you like. But that isn't an excuse. We need to live with the fact that people disagree with us on things. It may be uncomfortable to have to hear disagreement or criticism, but attacking people just for disagreeing is a detrimental response.
22297 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
39 / M / Maniwa Japan
Offline
Posted 11/14/17 , edited 11/14/17

auroraloose wrote:


Uh. Now, I'm not angry at all, but I think what you're saying is not good:

The reason I responded to you was that you were criticizing my and others' opinions of the show for being too negative and complex, as if we were just looking to complain. What you were doing was delegitimizing such opinions and setting yourself up as superior for "enjoying a show for what it is". Since this is an uninformed and knee-jerk reaction, and detrimental to good analysis and real enjoyment of art, I felt I should respond. In your second comment, you say there's no point in talking about this or disagreeing with you if I don't like the show, but this too is false - because, as I said, what you're doing here is delegitimizing critical analysis and disallowing space for more nuanced understandings. And while you claim not to "knock" me for my analysis, the nature and attitude of your comment do precisely that. (For example, "whatever floats your boat" is dismissive, as was your rhetorical question at the end. But it turns out I had an answer to your rhetorical question.) I wasn't out to hate Love Is Like A Cocktail, but it seems a lot like you were out to complain about people being critical of anime you like.

Maybe this is the most important point to make (and I see I made it in my previous comment): you can't talk so simply about what a show really "is". You say "it's just a cute little short" about "a cute relationship between spouses", but could it also be attempting to feed fake cuteness to people deprived of social interaction and relationships? Is it even possible for a show with a particular context to be "just" about "a cute relationship"? If you say that it can't be about such things, you're essentially enforcing your own view and disallowing other perspectives. But if it can be, then you can't say "it's just a cute little short". Indeed, even saying that implies no one is allowed to think otherwise.

I happen to like the premise of Love Is Like A Cocktail, and I continue to watch it for that reason, and because I think it can do good things. Your horizon of experiences allows you to see the show in a certain way, as does mine, and it is impossible to approach any art without such a horizon. We can talk about the intersections of those horizons, and what everyone who watches the show ought to agree on, but we won't be able to pin any of that down entirely. And as long as what we think is intelligible enough to make sense and not contradictory, it's all good: I don't have any problem with you enjoying Love Is Like A Cocktail the way you enjoy it. Where I have a problem is when you unfairly criticize my perspective as somehow needlessly negative. Your horizon of experiences is different from mine, and I might see things you don't, so don't attack me for it. And these days in particular, anti-intellectualism is gaining traction, so I am going to call out anything that's critical of complexity or nuance. Of course, I feel like you weren't really thinking about what you were saying, and that you were just unhappy that people criticize things you like. But that isn't an excuse. We need to live with the fact that people disagree with us on things. It may be uncomfortable to have to hear disagreement or criticism, but attacking people just for disagreeing is a detrimental response.


I'm not de-legitimizing, hunting, or attacking anyone. Merely making my own counter-observations. Nothing more.

If I were trying to "force" my views onto anyone I would just be like "You're wrong and that's that." I merely stated that in my opinion from my point of view I felt the show was being unfairly calculated and criticized. However you are all free to do so regardless of my view point obviously. Which is fine. I still stand by my view that the show is more simple than that. And I felt like I just had to say something as the anime community as a whole seems rather negative as of late in my eyes. There's enough negativity out there for it to keep bleeding over here as well.

I will say I apologize if I offended you or anyone else. It wasn't meant to be as such. But, I am taken aback by the fact you took so long and had to try and deteriorate my view point as simply being counter to yours as well and comes off as making them sound less valid as well. Both sides can have their say without being wrong. I just personally want more people to be less negative for a lack of better words. I see it far too much on these forums and it continues to get worse each season it seems. That is pretty much what it all boils down to.
4079 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / F / The lowest stratum
Offline
Posted 11/14/17 , edited 11/15/17

Yamstarch wrote:

I'm not de-legitimizing, hunting, or attacking anyone. Merely making my own counter-observations. Nothing more.

If I were trying to "force" my views onto anyone I would just be like "You're wrong and that's that." I merely stated that in my opinion from my point of view I felt the show was being unfairly calculated and criticized. However you are all free to do so regardless of my view point obviously. Which is fine. I still stand by my view that the show is more simple than that. And I felt like I just had to say something as the anime community as a whole seems rather negative as of late in my eyes. There's enough negativity out there for it to keep bleeding over here as well.

I will say I apologize if I offended you or anyone else. It wasn't meant to be as such. But, I am taken aback by the fact you took so long and had to try and deteriorate my view point as simply being counter to yours as well and comes off as making them sound less valid as well. Both sides can have their say without being wrong. I just personally want more people to be less negative for a lack of better words. I see it far too much on these forums and it continues to get worse each season it seems. That is pretty much what it all boils down to.


As I said, you were indeed delegitimizing our views by describing them pejoratively (I presented evidence of this) - and because you were overreacting against perceived negativity, just as I suspected. It's not hard to see that from your first two comments, and this one. I don't think you meant to do it; rather, you don't understand that that's what you're doing. It's not easy for us to understand ourselves. Like I said, I'm not angry; I think this particular variety of "live and let live" is hypocritical and damaging.

I took so long to respond because I have other things going on. I felt I needed to respond to you because your criticisms were indeed invalid, and anti-intellectual. How you feel about Love Is Like A Cocktail is up to you, but you can be wrong about the value of criticism.
121498 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / Boston-ish
Offline
Posted 11/14/17 , edited 11/15/17

auroraloose wrote:

I should hope that arguing about how we critique anime is allowed, as it's both relevant and important. I should also hope that telling people they are wrong - and why they are wrong - is allowed; I'm not sure how discourse can function otherwise. That this conversation got reported corroborates the notion of society's increasing inability to accept criticism, and that we might be wrong.


Arguing about how you critique anime is fine, especially when using the specific show under discussion as a focal point. However, this part of the discussion which started off interesting does seem to be getting a bit off the rails, and tending toward personal criticism that could be seen as attacks of the person rather than a polite discussion about differences in how people approach critiquing or evaluating shows. (I've deleted two posts that went most distinctly in that direction.)

So, let's move on, shall we?
4079 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / F / The lowest stratum
Offline
Posted 11/14/17 , edited 11/15/17
I should hope that arguing about how we critique anime is allowed, as it's both relevant and important. I should also hope that telling people they are wrong - and why they are wrong - is allowed; I'm not sure how discourse can function otherwise. That this conversation got reported corroborates the notion of society's increasing inability to accept criticism, and that we might be wrong.
27675 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
57 / M /
Offline
Posted 11/14/17 , edited 11/15/17
I think (He does??) that some people are expecting a certain reaction and expect it so might be seeing things that aren't there. Opinions are fine. Criticisms are fine, but neither alone will get you anything at Starbucks. Put another way: opinions are like butt holes. Everybody has one and they all stink. Including me. Let's all have fun here and try not to take hings personally unless it is personal then take it to the Mods. (Sorry Lorreen.)
27430 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / New York
Online
Posted 11/14/17 , edited 11/15/17
Best episode yet. Chisato is just too adorable. Using the scary movie to cozy up to the husband, which then turns into a game of safety zone on his lap — I appreciate her playbook!


22297 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
39 / M / Maniwa Japan
Offline
Posted 11/14/17 , edited 11/15/17

54bubbles wrote:

Best episode yet. Chisato is just too adorable. Using the scary movie to cozy up to the husband, which then turns into a game of safety zone on his lap — I appreciate her playbook!




28872 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
54 / M / Bay Area
Offline
Posted 11/14/17 , edited 11/15/17
Amazing Crunchy thread for a short, Cant remember a 3 minute anime getting so much back and forth the arguments might be longer than the content of the show?
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.