First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
Post Reply What are some good metal bands out there?
605 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / F / USA
Offline
Posted 12/31/17 , edited 12/31/17
Here are some bands I like. Some of the bands aren't active now though.



Have fun.
7728 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 1/1/18 , edited 1/1/18
Don't forget about Carcass, if I were you, I'd listen to their Melodeath metal stuff like Heartwork first, which is one of the best metal albums of the 1990s. Beavis and Butthead were sharing their thoughts on the Heartwork song and one of the brothers said "that buttmuncher sounds like Dave Mustaine". Their late 80s stuff does have surgical terms that you won't find in today's music, but again, I recommend their Heartwork album more.

If you're interested in Death Metal, remember not to take the lyrics seriously, which is all about dark comedy (think Tim Burton's style of comedy whenever you happen to listen to a Death Metal tune). Chuck (former lead vocalist of Death) said in an interview that his music was made to give people a horror movie feel, which you won't find in today's music.
177 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / Saskatchewan, Canada
Offline
Posted 1/2/18 , edited 1/2/18
These bands all have some metal elements to them, and they're some of my favorites:

26 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Hong Kong
Offline
Posted 1/2/18 , edited 1/3/18
Well I am actually not a metal music fan, but I do like a Swedish metal band named Sabaton. Their music is really energetic and cool.
7941 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M / Modesto, CA
Offline
Posted 1/9/18 , edited 1/10/18

KurtIrving wrote:

Don't forget about Carcass, if I were you, I'd listen to their Melodeath metal stuff like Heartwork first, which is one of the best metal albums of the 1990s. Beavis and Butthead were sharing their thoughts on the Heartwork song and one of the brothers said "that buttmuncher sounds like Dave Mustaine". Their late 80s stuff does have surgical terms that you won't find in today's music, but again, I recommend their Heartwork album more.

If you're interested in Death Metal, remember not to take the lyrics seriously, which is all about dark comedy (think Tim Burton's style of comedy whenever you happen to listen to a Death Metal tune). Chuck (former lead vocalist of Death) said in an interview that his music was made to give people a horror movie feel, which you won't find in today's music.


Seconding Heartwork. And yes. Death Metal is taken too seriously nowadays. Tho that technical work on Symbolic...
308 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
U.S.A.
Offline
Posted 1/10/18 , edited 1/10/18
Some metal bands I listen to:

Amon Amarth
Between the Buried and Me
Opeth
Insomnium
August Burns Red
Dir en Grey
Epicurean
Fear Factory
Cradle of Filth
Dimmu Borgir
Dillinger Escape Plan
Chimaira
In Flames
Iron Maiden
Clutch
Protest the Hero
Trivium
Nile
The Devil Wears Prada
Zao
Three
Job for a Cowboy
Fear Before the March of Flames
Darkest Hour
Arch Enemy
Gojira
33995 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
51 / M / Side 6
Offline
Posted 1/14/18 , edited 1/14/18
Gojira
Meshuggah
Lamb of God
Mastodon
Red Fang
Revocation
Mortillery
Jinjer
Babymetal, of course (RIP Mikio)
19822 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 1/14/18 , edited 1/14/18

sena3927 wrote:

Gojira
Meshuggah
Lamb of God
Mastodon
Red Fang
Revocation
Mortillery
Jinjer
Babymetal, of course (RIP Mikio)


I had no idea that he passed away until I saw this post. Crazy.
33995 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
51 / M / Side 6
Offline
Posted 1/14/18 , edited 1/14/18
3566 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
48 / M / Sacramento, CA
Offline
Posted 1/20/18 , edited 1/21/18
Blind Guardian, Manowar, and Hammerfall are all decent. What about Iced Earth? Also strongly recommend Dream Theater.
1584 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / Michigan
Offline
Posted 1/30/18 , edited 1/30/18

Kamahil wrote:

Here are some bands I like. Some of the bands aren't active now though.



Have fun.


You have pretty good taste. Have you heard Lykathea Aflame? They only released one album, but it's one of the best extreme metal albums of the last twenty years.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJiy5tTHy9o
605 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / F / USA
Offline
Posted 1/30/18 , edited 1/31/18
No I haven't heard of them. They sound interesting :V
164 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M / UK
Offline
Posted 2/1/18 , edited 2/2/18
If you want a genuinely fun experience to rip your head off....try the dillinger escape plan
absolutely amazing musician ship.
339 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / M / Texas
Offline
Posted 2/3/18 , edited 2/4/18
I haven't seen anybody list Every TIme I Die. They lie within that time frame. Very good jams.
817 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Florida
Offline
Posted 2/15/18 , edited 2/15/18
As a couple others have mentioned, there are a ton of great classics to get into. My personal recommendation would be Iron Maiden (albums The Number of the Beast, Powerslave, and Somewhere in Time are easy favorites). But a lot of classic options given by others are worth your time, too.

And I'll throw a seemingly random card at you: check out White Ward. Very moody black metal with a jazzy twist (sounds ridiculous on paper but their album was among the most praised of 2017).

Enjoy!
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.