First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
Post Reply Recommendation: PC/PS4/XBOX1 ?
26 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Konoha
Offline
Posted 11/21/17 , edited 11/22/17
I really need to know what to buy, and I need reasons for your answer please.
1725 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / Texas
Online
Posted 11/21/17 , edited 11/22/17
It all depends on what system has the most games you are interested in. I personally hate PC gaming because I’d rather not worry about whether or not my PC is even capable of running whatever game I may purchase. I have both an XB1 and a PS4, and have played both evenly. However right now I’ve mainly been playing the PS4 because it has loads of RPGs/JRPGs, genres which the XB1 is severely lacking in.
1453 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 11/22/17 , edited 11/22/17
Everything that AgentDuchess is pretty accurate.
If you want to go for a platform that you are absolutely sure will always be able to play any game that's out for said platform, go with a console.
If you are willing to pay a premium for a decent gaming computer and that you are okay with being in front of a computer/desk for an extended period of time while gaming, go with a PC.

Between Xbox One and Playstation 4, it depends on what games you prefer to play.
Playstation 4 has more RPGs, in general, and tends to have a large library than the Xbox One ecosystem.
Xbox One has more shooting games and has more of a "Western/American" touch to most of their exclusive games (Microsoft is an American-based company).
When it comes to sports and popular series (e.g., Call of Duty, Madden XX, etc) both systems will have them available as they are launched on practically all platforms.
575 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
33 / M / Behind You With A...
Offline
Posted 11/22/17 , edited 11/23/17
ARMA 3, but only if you hate yourself
4766 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 11/22/17 , edited 11/23/17
you can buy a PS4 or Xbox One S right now for under $200, there is no way to buy a capable gaming computer for that...not even used. Heck, you can buy both for under $400, and you still won't be able to buy a brand new gaming PC for that.

But if you have the money, no console can match a top of the line PC.

If you can have only one, I say look at the exclusives. also if you like multiplayer, ask your friends what they have.
8499 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 11/22/17 , edited 11/23/17

HOOfan_1 wrote:

you can buy a PS4 or Xbox One S right now for under $200, there is no way to buy a capable gaming computer for that...not even used. Heck, you can buy both for under $400, and you still won't be able to buy a brand new gaming PC for that.

But if you have the money, no console can match a top of the line PC.

If you can have only one, I say look at the exclusives. also if you like multiplayer, ask your friends what they have.


not necessarily. it depends on the settings you want, and the games themselves. very little won't play at console framerates or better at 1080p on a 1050 ti combined with a used business desktop like a Dell Optiplex with an i5 3470 in it, which is in the $100-150 range on ebay.

It's definitely hard to fit in the sub-$200 range for a budget gaming rig unless you get creative, but the sub-$400 bracket is much more forgiving. and of course, this is for a rig that is being compared to the base consoles. the ps4 pro and scorpio are harder to match in those brackets, and in the case of the latter we still don't know if it's actually going to live up to the supposed hardware inside it.
45 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Offline
Posted 11/23/17 , edited 11/23/17
PC has a wider game choices, but depends on how much you're willing to spend for your gaming pc.
4766 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 11/23/17 , edited 11/23/17

Sequine wrote:


HOOfan_1 wrote:

you can buy a PS4 or Xbox One S right now for under $200, there is no way to buy a capable gaming computer for that...not even used. Heck, you can buy both for under $400, and you still won't be able to buy a brand new gaming PC for that.

But if you have the money, no console can match a top of the line PC.

If you can have only one, I say look at the exclusives. also if you like multiplayer, ask your friends what they have.


not necessarily. it depends on the settings you want, and the games themselves. very little won't play at console framerates or better at 1080p on a 1050 ti combined with a used business desktop like a Dell Optiplex with an i5 3470 in it, which is in the $100-150 range on ebay.


that's why I specified brand new. there's no way you are going to build a 1080p gaming computer from brand new components for the $390 a PS4 + Xbox One S are selling for right now. As for the used Dells on Ebay, that can certainly be a crap shoot. You get no warranty and have no idea how hard they have been used. They could have sat in some dusty corner for years on 24/7 with no airflow and really crappy TIM on the CPU.
8499 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 11/23/17 , edited 11/23/17

HOOfan_1 wrote:


Sequine wrote:


HOOfan_1 wrote:

you can buy a PS4 or Xbox One S right now for under $200, there is no way to buy a capable gaming computer for that...not even used. Heck, you can buy both for under $400, and you still won't be able to buy a brand new gaming PC for that.

But if you have the money, no console can match a top of the line PC.

If you can have only one, I say look at the exclusives. also if you like multiplayer, ask your friends what they have.


not necessarily. it depends on the settings you want, and the games themselves. very little won't play at console framerates or better at 1080p on a 1050 ti combined with a used business desktop like a Dell Optiplex with an i5 3470 in it, which is in the $100-150 range on ebay.


that's why I specified brand new. there's no way you are going to build a 1080p gaming computer from brand new components for the $390 a PS4 + Xbox One S are selling for right now. As for the used Dells on Ebay, that can certainly be a crap shoot. You get no warranty and have no idea how hard they have been used. They could have sat in some dusty corner for years on 24/7 with no airflow and really crappy TIM on the CPU.

budget builders get away with it all the time, and a good shop like Regency Technologies will refurbish them. if you read the descriptions and scrutinize the pictures of the product, you'll get more of an idea of what you're buying.
you generally don't need a warranty for a budget PC since it's more of an experiment to see if you'll even enjoy the platform to begin with.
Hell, 2 years back I bought a dusty old dual-xeon e5440+r9 270 build off there and it gamed just fine until I wanted to play dark souls 3. Warframe at the time ran well enough and I could even stream to an extent. Dustiest thing on the planet when I got it, but there's almost no finese required when you bust out the canned air.
35958 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / U.S.A.
Offline
Posted 11/23/17 , edited 11/23/17
Depends on what you are trying to accomplish. For casual gaming, I would suggest a console. If you want to be able to mod things you have to invest into a PC.

Sadly, for PC, you won't get anything on a custom build that will reliably play 60 FPS on a 1080p screen for under $600: which is twice as much as a used console will typically run you. And even then when you are thinking on terms of building a PC, you are eventually going to have to invest in better parts as games are continually becoming more graphics intensive with this push for native 2k and 4k becoming significantly more normalized.

If you can avoid it, I would avoid buying anything pre-built. If you are unfamiliar with building PC's, you could consult a local PC store and ask them for recommendations. They could find you great deals on parts for a full PC build within your budget, and will even build it for you. The main pro of owning a custom PC is that the more familiar you become with how computers work, the more power you will be able to squeeze out of every dollar you put into it.

However, the good thing about consoles is that you don't have to worry about all of that. The main pro of buying a console is that once you buy your console, you've placed a winning bet with your money that any game made for that console will work for it. Other than that, really nothing more to say.

In terms of catalog for consoles, I am significantly biased towards PS4, as the exclusives have a lot more depth than "shoot the enemy because you are in the military and your Captain told you to.". However, if shoot-em ups are your forte, then I would definitely go with Xbox.

However I must note that, although the initial cost of building a computer personalized for gaming is high, you will ultimately save more money if you take advantage of the countless sales that are made available to PC owners (albeit typically at a long wait). The difference between me buying a used copy of a game at gamestop, and me buying a game off of a steam summer sale can be anywhere from a $30 to even a $40 saving,



TL;DR:

if you are casual gaming, go console to get more bang for your buck.

The inverse is true for PC's if you are truly passionate about gaming in general and have the budget and will to make such an investment.
8499 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 11/24/17 , edited 11/24/17
it depends. are you targeting 60fps on ultra or high? because the few games that don't run stably, ultra usually isn't that much better than high but comes with steep fps costs that will have more trouble on budget systems. one of the TechTubers I watch describes ultra as the setting you swap to for screenshots, not for day to day play.

on the other hand, getting 60fps on high with a gtx 1060 3GB or used 970 is not hard to squeeze into a budget system. before I built my current rig last december, I was gaming on a 970 paired with an i5 3570k(without even an SSD) and averaging the 60fps cap on something like dark souls 3 was not hard.the guy I sold that rig to was pretty satisfied with it's performance in The Division. I think I got that rig for like $400 off craigslist the year prior.
xinsen 
46 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 11/25/17 , edited 11/25/17
Personally if I had to choose one I would pick PC because practically everything ends up there eventually even console exclusives.
As it happens I usually have all the consoles, this generation I have the PS4 Pro (only worth it if you have a 4K HDR TV) I haven't bothered with the X Box one yet (I was going to buy to play scalebound but that didn't end well) and more then likely I will purchase a switch in the next 2 weeks for LOS BOTW.

If you don't have a PC then ATM the PS4 has more exclusives but the Xbox one X is technically the best for cross platform games but Xbox also have the smallest install base of the two (thence Microsofts recent push on crossplay).
If you like Anime which I am going to go out on a limb and say you do then the PS4 is probably the best for you, original VC got remastered for it, VCIV is being released on it soon and their is a huge selection of ported JRPG and we can't forget Persona.

Even though it wasn't mentioned if we do through the Switch into the mix it has access to a huge back catalog of games visa vis the Wii, it is getting another Fire emblem, Shin Megami Tensei and VCIV will also be appearing (portable version ftw?) so that is also viable.
It lags far behind the other two graphically but the handheld option is nice (even if the battery life seems terrible peripherals ftw).
Don't be fooled by the price tag though, it looks cheaper than the other two but once you purchase your micro SD and other nintendo peripherals you will probably need it will be far more expensive.

But whatever you do... if you decide to go PC don't buy a gaming laptop.. you can build a better PC for the cost and it won't become redundant after 2-3 years.
7155 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 11/26/17 , edited 11/26/17
I would pick PC.

You get to choose what you want to get out of it by deciding how much you want to spend on parts and software. If you want a the absolute best graphics and performance; you can choose to pay for it. If you want console level gaming experience, but with the ability to do more than just gaming/videos.

Most games are eventually released on PC, even many "console exclusives" get released on PC. PC games go on sale all the time and can save you a ton versus buying games on console. There are also all the amazing mods that consoles miss out on (there are some on console now, but many are very limited compared to what can be done on PC).

You get all the different genres on PC too. Everything from FPS, to RPG, to MMO, to MOBAs, action, adventure, puzzles, and more.

You can build a decent gaming PC for about $600 these days. So, it's really not that much more expensive than console. Solid gaming laptops start at about $1k though and upgrades are limited at best. I'd definitely recommend a desktop over a laptop, unless you really, really need that portability. Even then you can build/purchase pretty small form factor gaming desktops that can be as small, if not smaller, than a console.

You also get a lot more choice in your peripherals. You get to choose the style of keyboard, mouse, etc. that you prefer. You can even play pretty much any game with a gamepad (PS4/Xbox One controllers work with PC) instead of a keyboard/mouse if you want.

There are also a lot of PCs that bundle in a VR headset for free or at least very cheap (like $50 extra for a $300-400 VR headset) these days too and PC VR is fantastic.

Fallout 4 VR and Doom VFR will be released soon. Doom 3 BFG is phenomenal in VR. Payday 2 VR has been a hit. Robo Recall, The Climb, Lone Echo, Echo Arena, Dirt Rally, Elite: Dangerous... Demo one of the aforementioned games and you'll never look at normal flat gaming the same way again.

I recommend the the Rift as probably the best package right now for the higher end VR or PSVR for the PS4 is a great mid level VR entry point. The Vive is still great as a high end PC VR experience, but a bit pricey when you can get pretty much the same experience for less. Windows MR headsets are a decent entry point for PC too at their Black Friday pricing, but are closer to a mid range experience.

PC just gives you a lot more variety and choice, which is why I would recommend going with a PC.
209 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
36 / M / Utah
Offline
Posted 12/10/17 , edited 12/10/17
get Monster Hunter World for ps4/xb1, it is a multi platform release so just pick whichever system you prefer, the demo is up live until dec 12th, so if you like it you should preorder it.
8499 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 12/10/17 , edited 12/10/17
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSv8WqJ2-LM
I got a kick out of this the other day.
First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.