First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
Post Reply ISIS has been militarily defeated in Iraq and Syria
24004 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
The White House
Offline
Posted 11/22/17 , edited 11/23/17
The end of ISIS in Iraq and Syria is near. Their military has been shattered and they have lost most of their sources of revenue. This is great news and it only took a year of the USA actually trying to stop ISIS. ISIS has lost their state and their main source of revenue but ISIS and their ideology is still alive in tens of millions of people's minds. Do you think ISIS will continue to exist and play a major part in world terrorism or do you think they will be abandoned in favor of another Islamic supremacy group?




* The leaders of Iraq and Iran both declared the terrorist group ISIS defeated militarily in Iraq and Syria.
* Iraqis and Syrians, with assistance from the US and other regional militias, took their countries back from the terror group that declared its sovereign territory in the summer of 2014.
* ISIS still has territory in countries around the world but has been brutally disrupted by a US-backed bombing campaign and advancing ground forces.

Iraqi Prime Minister Hadir Al-Abadi declared military victory over the Islamic State in Iraq on Tuesday, just hours after Iranian President Hassan Rouhani announced that Iranian-backed forces had driven the terror group out of Syria.

ISIS's last Iraqi town of Rawa fell on Friday, and Abadi only awaits the clearing of a patch of desert along Iraq's border with Syria to declare final victory. Iran posted pictures of one its most famous military leaders in a Syrian border town, indicating Iranian-backed forces had driven the terror group out of the country.

Combine, the two statements from the two leaders amount to long-awaited news: ISIS's territory in Iraq and Syria is gone; the terror group has been defeated.

Iraqi, Kurdish, Syrian, Iranian, Afghani, Lebanese, and scores of other fighters gave their lives over more than three years since ISIS declared its caliphate, or sovereign territory, to be ruled under a brutal interpretation of Islam in the summer of 2014.



The rise and fall of ISIS

Initially, ISIS swept up large swaths of Iraq and neighboring Syria with a surprising military prowess and a potent brand of Sunni extremism, but on Tuesday those nations officially reclaimed their territory.

The US and 67 other nations from around the world formed a coalition to train, equip, and provide air support for the regional forces that confronted ISIS, mostly in Iraq. The US also supported Syrian forces fighting to defeat ISIS. Russia stepped in in late 2015 to provide air support for the Syrian government and allied Iranian militias, mainly backing the regime of President Bashar al-Assad against rebels threatening his rule, but also targeting some ISIS territory.

At its height, ISIS launched international terror attacks in Paris, London, Brussels, and across Asia. But its capability for carrying out such attacks has been hamstrung by the relentless assault on its home territory.

"If we can keep them declining and moving they have less time to sit and prepare," for attacks, Elaine Duke, the acting secretary of Homeland Security, said of terror groups in London last month.

In the span of just three years, ISIS went from attracting thousands of foreign fighters to its anti-Western cause and plotting devastating terror attacks all over the world, to surrendering en masse in their own territory.



Threat from ISIS remains

But ISIS still controls territory in as many as a dozen other nations, as Libya, Afghanistan, the Philippines, and much of Africa battle their own ISIS cells or ISIS-linked terror groups.

The threat of ISIS remains far from over. Beside the many ISIS cells around the world — as well as ISIS' continued online presence — fighters from the terror group spread around the region and have threatened to return.

In the late days of the US-backed assault on Raqqa, ISIS' Syrian capital, forces partnered with the US allowed thousands of ISIS fighters to flee the city with weapons and ammunition. The fighters, many of them foreign-born, swore to smuggle themselves across borders and commit terror attacks around the world.

Meanwhile, neither Iraq or Syria can count themselves as whole even with the territory reclaimed. In Iraq, the Kurdish minority in the country's northeast voted to break away from Iraq. In Syria, the six-year long civil war continues with only a shaky vision of an end in sight.

Additionally, the preoccupation of the Syrian military with fighting its civil war in the western part of the country left a vacuum for Iranian forces to move in and fight ISIS in the east. It's likely an ISIS-free Syria will feature more Iranian influence, which will unsettle Tehran's regional rivals in Israel and Saudi Arabia.



Goodale confirms 60 ISIS fighters in Canada: http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/goodale-confirms-60-isis-fighters-in-canada-1.4410994

Do you think these ISIS fighters are going to rally more people to commit terrorism in Canada and in all the other countries they scatter to?
145 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M
Offline
Posted 11/22/17 , edited 11/23/17
Another terrorist group will take its place
We might even be finding them right now


5558 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25
Offline
Posted 11/22/17 , edited 11/23/17
New players same game.

4189 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Offline
Posted 11/23/17 , edited 11/24/17

Rujikin wrote:

The end of ISIS in Iraq and Syria is near. Their military has been shattered and they have lost most of their sources of revenue. This is great news and it only took a year of the USA actually trying to stop ISIS.


U.S has been fighting ISIS longer than a year and they been in decline ever since the coalition focused on them. It has been long due to the make up of the various forces there. Lets take away the efforts of those who bloodied their hands and died trying to deal with ISIS by acting like no effort was being put in before Trump gained the seat.

How hard is it to celebrate a good thing without ruining it?

All in all, this is good news, but its been long time coming once the coalition was created. Unfortunately, with the defeat of ISIS comes the new issues of who gets to hold what territory. U.S is likely to ditch the Kurds again despite them being even more useful than the Iraqi army in dealing with ISIS.
29480 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M
Offline
Posted 11/23/17 , edited 11/24/17

TenekTikin wrote:

Another terrorist group will take its place
We might even be finding them right now




We already are. Have you seen the shit the "moderate" rebels do in Syria?
runec 
41426 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 11/23/17 , edited 11/24/17

Rujikin wrote:
This is great news and it only took a year of the USA actually trying to stop ISIS.


It's sort of amazing that you not only shit all over the sacrifices of your own troops and everyone else's who fought prior to Trump's inauguration but likewise don't realize that the military didn't make any strategic changes when Trump took office. And even if they *had* made any major changes I'd remind you that Trump swore up and down multiple times that he would defeat ISIS in 30 days. He also stated he knew better than all of the generals.....then kept all of the generals and commanders Obama was using in place.

He bragged for 2 years that he could defeat ISIS neigh immediately. Then proceeded to just keep going with Obama's policies towards ISIS, ignored his own massive failure to live up to a promise 2 years in the making and now he's trying to take credit for all of it. As usual.

Not only take credit but he got up in front of the military itself and flat out told them that this was all about him and he deserved all the credit for their success.

You're why the US can't have nice things.


24004 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
The White House
Offline
Posted 11/23/17 , edited 11/24/17

TarNaru33 wrote:


Rujikin wrote:

The end of ISIS in Iraq and Syria is near. Their military has been shattered and they have lost most of their sources of revenue. This is great news and it only took a year of the USA actually trying to stop ISIS.


U.S has been fighting ISIS longer than a year and they been in decline ever since the coalition focused on them. It has been long due to the make up of the various forces there. Lets take away the efforts of those who bloodied their hands and died trying to deal with ISIS by acting like no effort was being put in before Trump gained the seat.

How hard is it to celebrate a good thing without ruining it?

All in all, this is good news, but its been long time coming once the coalition was created. Unfortunately, with the defeat of ISIS comes the new issues of who gets to hold what territory. U.S is likely to ditch the Kurds again despite them being even more useful than the Iraqi army in dealing with ISIS.


Before Trump got here we were half-ass "helping" and announced our plans to bomb places weeks in advance. Once Trump got in we just bombed them to fuck and didn't give them any advance warning.
24004 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
The White House
Offline
Posted 11/24/17 , edited 11/24/17

runec wrote:


Rujikin wrote:
This is great news and it only took a year of the USA actually trying to stop ISIS.


It's sort of amazing that you not only shit all over the sacrifices of your own troops and everyone else's who fought prior to Trump's inauguration but likewise don't realize that the military didn't make any strategic changes when Trump took office. And even if they *had* made any major changes I'd remind you that Trump swore up and down multiple times that he would defeat ISIS in 30 days. He also stated he knew better than all of the generals.....then kept all of the generals and commanders Obama was using in place.

He bragged for 2 years that he could defeat ISIS neigh immediately. Then proceeded to just keep going with Obama's policies towards ISIS, ignored his own massive failure to live up to a promise 2 years in the making and now he's trying to take credit for all of it. As usual.

Not only take credit but he got up in front of the military itself and flat out told them that this was all about him and he deserved all the credit for their success.

You're why the US can't have nice things.




Everyone knows Obama was fighting ISIS in limited capacity. We refused to bomb certain locations and would notify them in advance of attacks on their territory. The people fighting ISIS on the ground WERE complaining that Obama wasn't fighting ISIS seriously. Trump changed our strategic plans from warning ISIS to just bombing the fuck out of them 24/7 without telling them shit.

So let me get this straight. You somehow play mental gymnastics to make yourself believe Trump insulted everyone fighting ISIS. Then You claim he didn't do any changes only to, in the next sentence, acknowledge he made changes and downplay them. Trump and Mad Dog stopped the ISIS advances and led to a continuous decline of ISIS right after Mad Dog got situated and now your mad he didn't do it fast enough when Obama failed for years and let ISIS expand.

Phew your Trumpophobia and Mental Olympics could win us the galactic gold medals. .
runec 
41426 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 11/24/17 , edited 11/24/17

Rujikin wrote:
Everyone knows Obama was fighting ISIS in limited capacity. We refused to bomb certain locations and would notify them in advance of attacks on their territory. The people fighting ISIS on the ground WERE complaining that Obama wasn't fighting ISIS seriously. Trump changed our strategic plans from warning ISIS to just bombing the fuck out of them 24/7 without telling them shit.

So let me get this straight. You somehow play mental gymnastics to make yourself believe Trump insulted everyone fighting ISIS. Then You claim he didn't do any changes only to, in the next sentence, acknowledge he made changes and downplay them. Trump and Mad Dog stopped the ISIS advances and led to a continuous decline of ISIS right after Mad Dog got situated and now your mad he didn't do it fast enough when Obama failed for years and let ISIS expand.

Phew your Trumpophobia and Mental Olympics could win us the galactic gold medals. .



No, "everyone" doesn't because "everyone" doesn't read Infowars or whatever bullshit you do. The reason Obama engaged in smart bombing was to limit civilian casualties. Because, you know, nothing wins hearts and minds like bombing schools. So grats, that is one thing Trump did change and the result was a massive increase in civilian casualties. You tripled the number of civilian deaths and surpassed Russian's civilian death toll in Syria. Good job! Now you're the bad guys and the next lot after ISIS will have even more recruitment material to work with.

No, I said you insulted everyone that has fought against ISIS. I mean, I'm sure Trump has, but I was addressing you specifically there for ruining what should be good news.


24597 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
53 / M / In
Offline
Posted 11/24/17 , edited 11/24/17

runec wrote:


Rujikin wrote:
Everyone knows Obama was fighting ISIS in limited capacity. We refused to bomb certain locations and would notify them in advance of attacks on their territory. The people fighting ISIS on the ground WERE complaining that Obama wasn't fighting ISIS seriously. Trump changed our strategic plans from warning ISIS to just bombing the fuck out of them 24/7 without telling them shit.

So let me get this straight. You somehow play mental gymnastics to make yourself believe Trump insulted everyone fighting ISIS. Then You claim he didn't do any changes only to, in the next sentence, acknowledge he made changes and downplay them. Trump and Mad Dog stopped the ISIS advances and led to a continuous decline of ISIS right after Mad Dog got situated and now your mad he didn't do it fast enough when Obama failed for years and let ISIS expand.

Phew your Trumpophobia and Mental Olympics could win us the galactic gold medals. .



No, "everyone" doesn't because "everyone" doesn't read Infowars or whatever bullshit you do. The reason Obama engaged in smart bombing was to limit civilian casualties. Because, you know, nothing wins hearts and minds like bombing schools. So grats, that is one thing Trump did change and the result was a massive increase in civilian casualties. You tripled the number of civilian deaths and surpassed Russian's civilian death toll in Syria. Good job! Now you're the bad guys and the next lot after ISIS will have even more recruitment material to work with.

No, I said you insulted everyone that has fought against ISIS. I mean, I'm sure Trump has, but I was addressing you specifically there for ruining what should be good news.




Come on dude they were brown trump and his supporters don't give a shit about brown people to them those killed civilians were just a means to an end nothing more
qwueri 
25288 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / M / TN
Offline
Posted 11/24/17 , edited 11/24/17
It's well and good that the fight against Isis is progressing in a positive direction. But traditional military defeats aren't going to put an end to amorphous terrorist organizations. Just today an Isis style attack took the lives of hundreds in Egypt. http://www.cnn.com/2017/11/24/africa/egypt-sinai-mosque-attack/index.html
mxdan 
12304 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / A Husk.
Offline
Posted 11/24/17 , edited 11/24/17

qwueri wrote:

It's well and good that the fight against Isis is progressing in a positive direction. But traditional military defeats aren't going to put an end to amorphous terrorist organizations. Just today an Isis style attack took the lives of hundreds in Egypt. http://www.cnn.com/2017/11/24/africa/egypt-sinai-mosque-attack/index.html


Yep. I held my tongue when I first saw this thread but military victories mean little against Islamic terrorism. Maybe I'm being nihilistic but it's pretty strikingly clear at this point that our Middle Eastern plan is an endless wasteland of victory, stabilization, destabilization, vacuum fill, terrorism, repeat.

With that said, we can't just let them take over the Middle East. I'm glad they are making progress.
24004 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
The White House
Offline
Posted 11/24/17 , edited 11/24/17

runec wrote:


Rujikin wrote:
Everyone knows Obama was fighting ISIS in limited capacity. We refused to bomb certain locations and would notify them in advance of attacks on their territory. The people fighting ISIS on the ground WERE complaining that Obama wasn't fighting ISIS seriously. Trump changed our strategic plans from warning ISIS to just bombing the fuck out of them 24/7 without telling them shit.

So let me get this straight. You somehow play mental gymnastics to make yourself believe Trump insulted everyone fighting ISIS. Then You claim he didn't do any changes only to, in the next sentence, acknowledge he made changes and downplay them. Trump and Mad Dog stopped the ISIS advances and led to a continuous decline of ISIS right after Mad Dog got situated and now your mad he didn't do it fast enough when Obama failed for years and let ISIS expand.

Phew your Trumpophobia and Mental Olympics could win us the galactic gold medals. .



No, "everyone" doesn't because "everyone" doesn't read Infowars or whatever bullshit you do. The reason Obama engaged in smart bombing was to limit civilian casualties. Because, you know, nothing wins hearts and minds like bombing schools. So grats, that is one thing Trump did change and the result was a massive increase in civilian casualties. You tripled the number of civilian deaths and surpassed Russian's civilian death toll in Syria. Good job! Now you're the bad guys and the next lot after ISIS will have even more recruitment material to work with.

No, I said you insulted everyone that has fought against ISIS. I mean, I'm sure Trump has, but I was addressing you specifically there for ruining what should be good news.




Well then good job Obama you managed to prevent US civilian casualties and enabled ISIS to genocide entire cities while trying to keep your hands clean *golf clap*. The death toll is now many times higher than if you just bombed ISIS to hell in the start.

Had Obama just hit ISIS with full force we would have saved lives and never let ISIS get to the point where they had stable territory.

Everyone who fought against ISIS was critisizing Obama for half-ass fighting and since Trump released the mad dog of war the people fighting ISIS see an end to this bloodshed. They are ecstatic!


qwueri wrote:

It's well and good that the fight against Isis is progressing in a positive direction. But traditional military defeats aren't going to put an end to amorphous terrorist organizations. Just today an Isis style attack took the lives of hundreds in Egypt. http://www.cnn.com/2017/11/24/africa/egypt-sinai-mosque-attack/index.html


No but the fact that ISIS had an actual state and significant territory was causing more people to join the ISIS cause while giving their various groups a lot of moral. Plus it gave them a stable location to train fighters and build an army. Now they have to scrap together stuff and practice while not being noticed.
5846 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / BuBbLeS!
Offline
Posted 11/24/17 , edited 11/24/17
first off welcome back from the temp ban, second, there will always be terrorists, after all those who strike terror into people either by action or word, will be there. as for the snake ISIS they are probably going to still be around, their tamer cousins the al-hijra I believe, they are still around. and once ISIS (female goddess got to love it) is finally pushed back into their holes, then another group will come along and/or resurface once we lose the current president and exchange for another one (unless they have guts too, if not the world will start to fall once more). this is history...
runec 
41426 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 11/24/17 , edited 11/24/17

Rujikin wrote:
Well then good job Obama you managed to prevent US civilian casualties and enabled ISIS to genocide entire cities while trying to keep your hands clean *golf clap*. The death toll is now many times higher than if you just bombed ISIS to hell in the start.

Had Obama just hit ISIS with full force we would have saved lives and never let ISIS get to the point where they had stable territory.

Everyone who fought against ISIS was critisizing Obama for half-ass fighting and since Trump released the mad dog of war the people fighting ISIS see an end to this bloodshed. They are ecstatic!


Avoiding civilian casualties has been a prerogative of the US military since the aftermath of Vietnam. It's standard operating procedure which became even more crucial when fighting an ideological war. Especially one where your opponent is claiming you're at war not with them but with their entire religion. To suggest that it's somehow okay to indiscriminately kill innocent people now because maybe you'll save more later is absurd, inhumane and frankly a complete betrayal of everything America claims to stand for. Nevermind proving the point of everyone you're fighting and ensuring their cause lives on. You can't fight a monster by becoming a monster yourself.

That you're not just okay with but literally cheering on this approach speaks volumes.





niotabunny wrote:
first off welcome back from the temp ban, second, there will always be terrorists, after all those who strike terror into people either by action or word, will be there. as for the snake ISIS they are probably going to still be around, their tamer cousins the al-hijra I believe, they are still around. and once ISIS (female goddess got to love it) is finally pushed back into their holes, then another group will come along and/or resurface once we lose the current president and exchange for another one (unless they have guts too, if not the world will start to fall once more). this is history...


There will always be terrorists but there's no sense lowering yourself to their level and legitimizing their cause in the process. Even putting the dubious morality of it aside it's a poor long term strategy unless your eventual plan is to just wipe entire countries off the map. You don't need even more anti-Americanism out there in the world.

You're bleeding global influence like a stuck pig as is.


First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.