First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
Post Reply ISIS has been militarily defeated in Iraq and Syria
runec 
41514 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 11/26/17 , edited 11/26/17

Rujikin wrote:
First off you know nothing about what America stands for, don't project Canadian ideals onto America. If you want to criticize our time proven methods of flattening a city then hows about your country of Canada instead lead the attack on ISIS while we sit back and do nothing? Oh wait Canada don't even want to attack ISIS or stop ISIS: http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/canada-not-at-war-with-isis-trudeau-says-following-brussels-attacks-1.2829596

You do not fight a war with your hands tied and expect to win. If you do that then your just losing while wasting millions of dollars.

Yes we have been for the past 8 years. Only recently have we begun to regain some respect.


Ho boy, you're a few more notches up on the troll dial than usual tonight. What happened?

1453 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 11/26/17 , edited 11/26/17

runec wrote:
Ho boy, you're a few more notches up on the troll dial than usual tonight. What happened?


He is simply on a quick burnout to see how fast he can get himself “unjustly banned” again.
It happens to most forum goers after a significant amount of bans that they disagree with.
They no longer care about the community as they are no longer part of it and only posts to lure others into getting banned through taking the bait they lay out for them.


MysticGon wrote:
Well you can inject nuance. Talk about the timing, with the Iraqi Kurds, Turkey, Russia and Iran all coming together, attacking ISIS positions. The U.S. ramping up its military activities in the Middle East and Africa. Just like with any war it's the results that get the headlines and if ISIS is vanquished the current administration gets to point to that as their success, regardless of who pulled the trigger.

If you want to complain about something you can point to the civil war in Yemen. The Saudi-led coalition is failing on the humanitarian front and the food and supplies that do get in are seized by militias. Al Qaeda and ISIS are living it up there and the U.S. is involved but has made little progress in ending the conflict.


I agree that the topic can merit a genuine discussion.
It is more so the approach that has been taken to begin said discussion, in order to cause a reactionary response rather than a well-thought out response.
Of course, with that being said, there were quite a few posts that were constructive and fed more to the discussion.
There are nuances that can be focused on, such as how Americans always place the success of the previous administration onto the current one (the war on ISIS, the stock market, etc).

runec 
41514 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 11/26/17 , edited 11/26/17

Cydoemus wrote:
There are nuances that can be focused on, such as how Americans always place the success of the previous administration onto the current one (the war on ISIS, the stock market, etc).


Well, let's be blunt. The average American doesn't have the attention span required to absorb the complexity of American politics. Add to that a heady mix of wide spread political apathy and a lack of curiosity and many aren't interested in learning about it either. It takes too much time and effort to form your own opinion on every given political issue and mechanic of American politics. It's easier to just absorb some soundbytes and root for a team.

The problem is that at this point, that's not a bug of American politics its a feature. The intricacies and general fuckery of Congress for example are complicated and tiresome to follow. Unless you sit down and study it ( and given everyone loathes Congress thats unlikely ) you won't see most the shit it's really up too or even understand why that shit is bad.

McConnell for example has been using that fact to his advantage for years. Because he knows it doesn't really matter how awful, heinous or underhanded his tactics in Congress might be because when you get right down to it the base will take the party's word for it as to what happened. ACA is a prime example. Republicans co-operated and worked on it for months on a bipartisan panel. Then McConnell decided they could leverage it as a Socialism Death Panel(tm) scare tactic to win the mid terms. The GOP walked away from the table over night and went full ooga booga.

Now though, if you ask a random Republican about Obamacare, they will swear up and down that the Democrats just pulled it out of thin air and shoved it down the country's throat. While the GOP were powerless to stop them the tyranny. None of them remember that the GOP worked on it for half a year with the Democrats. Or that the final bill included tons of Republican amendments.

More recently, there was the Supreme Court pick. The GOP literally just refused to uphold it's Constitutional duty. Then made up a bunch of bullshit excuses for why because really, no one voting for their team was going to question what was going on. They had their excuse and they were "winning".

I mean fark, there are people that still believe Iraq had WMDs. There are even people who HATE Obamacare but they love their ACA.

The entire system is a complete mess. Which makes it hard to follow and no one is interested in really following what's going on. So those in power use that to their advantage to obfuscate what they're really up too. Because they can brush away any questions by repeating a soundbyte long enough that it becomes the "truth" to their voters. Their voters who don't understand the system and have no concept of how long the system takes to affect anything ( hence the new President becomes immediately responsibility for his predecessors successes/failures ).

Then you ice the entire shit cake with a complicit press that puts ratings before journalism as is completely willing to sell whatever bullshit is necessary to get those ratings.

I don't know, man. I thought that after the country lost it's mind and kept Bush for 8 years that it had given its head and shake when it put forth Obama and Romney. But it spent 8 years rebuilding it's global image and relationships then it turns around and elects Donald Trump. A man who is categorically unfit in every way to even manage a Denny's nevermind helm the most powerful nation in the world. The effects of whom are going to go down in history for the damage he's done, doing and will do to America's image and power.

All of us here will be long dead and gone before America ever lives down electing that man. The only hope is that there's a drastic course correction after he's out of office. Seeing as if there's one positive Trump has done it's exposed just how utterly ineffectual all of America's checks and balances actually are.











7815 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
35 / Pacific North West
Offline
Posted 11/26/17 , edited 11/26/17

runec wrote:

I mean fark, there are people that still believe Iraq had WMDs. There are even people who HATE Obamacare but they love their ACA.

The entire system is a complete mess. Which makes it hard to follow and no one is interested in really following what's going on. So those in power use that to their advantage to obfuscate what they're really up too. Because they can brush away any questions by repeating a soundbyte long enough that it becomes the "truth" to their voters. Their voters who don't understand the system and have no concept of how long the system takes to affect anything ( hence the new President becomes immediately responsibility for his predecessors successes/failures ).

Then you ice the entire shit cake with a complicit press that puts ratings before journalism as is completely willing to sell whatever bullshit is necessary to get those ratings.

I don't know, man. I thought that after the country lost it's mind and kept Bush for 8 years that it had given its head and shake when it put forth Obama and Romney. But it spent 8 years rebuilding it's global image and relationships then it turns around and elects Donald Trump. A man who is categorically unfit in every way to even manage a Denny's nevermind helm the most powerful nation in the world. The effects of whom are going to go down in history for the damage he's done, doing and will do to America's image and power.

All of us here will be long dead and gone before America ever lives down electing that man. The only hope is that there's a drastic course correction after he's out of office. Seeing as if there's one positive Trump has done it's exposed just how utterly ineffectual all of America's checks and balances actually are.


In the interest of Full disclosure Iraq DID have WMDs, just not the second time around as they had already surrendered them to the US and UN after the Kuwait debacle. In fact that was part of the whole WMD scandal we sent troops to take over chemical weapons factories that were empty and abandoned. Though to be fair with the SCUD missile system their ability to deliver it moderate/long range was only a dream.

As far as the press goes... I would say in the last 15-20 years the press as a whole has abandoned what journalism is all about almost completely. Today's "news" is politically motivated and designed for maximum shock value. I miss the days when we had reporters who gave you a fair shake on subject without interjecting their personal/political agenda into the fray. Similar to what you said people across the world have given up thinking independently to whatever sounds nice and fits their political beliefs. "The Sheeple have spoken"

Depending on which bush your referring to I may have to disagree. I think Bush Sr./Clinton did a better job running the US then anyone since. However both were still not great, they were just the lesser of the two evils. As you say politicians no longer care about doing the right thing. In regards to President trump... your level of hatred for the man is a bias. If he fixed the national debt, and created world peace he would still be hated by some simply because he doesn't fit their personal beliefs. I think President Trump took office because the American people thought giving a shot to a person who wasn't a corrupt politician was worth a shot. I still hold this belief to have atleast some merit. Though President Trump's hubris is apparent for all to see. I suspect before I die someone will get into office that make's him a saint. Never underestimate a society that values social networking, and skewed studies more then truth.
24200 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
The White House
Offline
Posted 11/26/17 , edited 11/26/17

runec wrote:


Rujikin wrote:
First off you know nothing about what America stands for, don't project Canadian ideals onto America. If you want to criticize our time proven methods of flattening a city then hows about your country of Canada instead lead the attack on ISIS while we sit back and do nothing? Oh wait Canada don't even want to attack ISIS or stop ISIS: http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/canada-not-at-war-with-isis-trudeau-says-following-brussels-attacks-1.2829596

You do not fight a war with your hands tied and expect to win. If you do that then your just losing while wasting millions of dollars.

Yes we have been for the past 8 years. Only recently have we begun to regain some respect.


Ho boy, you're a few more notches up on the troll dial than usual tonight. What happened?



Haha it's funny seeing the biggest troll on these forums accusing me of trolling. Now if you will excuse me I have a lot of packages to open that I purchased with money I made from working.
runec 
41514 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 11/26/17 , edited 11/26/17

DevinKuska wrote:
In the interest of Full disclosure Iraq DID have WMDs, just not the second time around as they had already surrendered them to the US and UN after the Kuwait debacle. In fact that was part of the whole WMD scandal we sent troops to take over chemical weapons factories that were empty and abandoned. Though to be fair with the SCUD missile system their ability to deliver it moderate/long range was only a dream.

As far as the press goes... I would say in the last 15-20 years the press as a whole has abandoned what journalism is all about almost completely. Today's "news" is politically motivated and designed for maximum shock value. I miss the days when we had reporters who gave you a fair shake on subject without interjecting their personal/political agenda into the fray. Similar to what you said people across the world have given up thinking independently to whatever sounds nice and fits their political beliefs. "The Sheeple have spoken"

Depending on which bush your referring to I may have to disagree. I think Bush Sr./Clinton did a better job running the US then anyone since. However both were still not great, they were just the lesser of the two evils. As you say politicians no longer care about doing the right thing. In regards to President trump... your level of hatred for the man is a bias. If he fixed the national debt, and created world peace he would still be hated by some simply because he doesn't fit their personal beliefs. I think President Trump took office because the American people thought giving a shot to a person who wasn't a corrupt politician was worth a shot. I still hold this belief to have atleast some merit. Though President Trump's hubris is apparent for all to see. I suspect before I die someone will get into office that make's him a saint. Never underestimate a society that values social networking, and skewed studies more then truth.


It was the second time around that was the utter disaster.

The media started to slip in the Bush Jr years. That's around when I recall Fox discovering the ratings gold mine that was becoming the media arm of the White House. They dove in and never turned back. Other's followed slowly over the years because, as you say, the Sheeple have spoken.

I'm referring to Bush Jr. Bush Senior is alright thought I was a kid when he was in office. I do vividly recall the start of Desert Storm as a child. As I had never seen war break out on TV before.

Criticism is not bias. I don't hate Trump and I'm honestly tired that criticism leveled at the man gets dismissed as bias, fake news, etc etc etc. I'm also tired of people referring to Trump as if he only just appeared when he ran for President. He's been around for decades and has been a corrupt, vain, self serving fool of man his entire life. So I find the argument "wasn't a corrupt politician" to be pretty bullshit as well. He was a corrupt businessman. More corrupt than any politician that he ran against. People toted his business record, but his business record is awful. They toted that he "told it like it is" but he was just being an asshole and saying whatever he thought the people in the audience wanted to hear. Even now, that is effectively all he does. Fishes for praise from his base. He doesn't give a rat's ass about anyone else unless they appear on TV. Then he'll obsess over anything they say about him.

He has always been a uniquely terrible human being. Nothing changed when he decided to run for office. Nothing changed when he took office. He doesn't even have any sort of ideology. He's here for himself and the praise of himself. There's nothing he says he stands for this week that he wouldn't say he stands for the opposite next week if he thinks it'll get a bigger round of applause. Unless, of course, that something is admitting fault in himself. He's pathologically incapable of that. He's spent his life conning others and himself into the brand of his ego. That's literally as deep as he goes and at 71 years of age that is never going to change.

The idea of an total "outsider" might appeal but being a politician requires actually knowing how the government works and running a country requires a level of competence, tact, character and empathy that he simply does not have and has never had. But that comes back around to my observation that the average American really doesn't know how their own country's politics and political systems work. Politics is practically the only category where Americans seem to have fallen into the idea that the less experience and competence the better.

There's no other area where you would think that way. You wouldn't complain about your local mechanics than turn around and go "Hey, what about that fucking buffoon on Masterchef? I mean, he's a middling chef, not a mechanic but he's an outsider so I bet he could do great work on my car."

I get that political apathy and media messaging has made many Americans basically hate "career" politicians. But by the same measure you can't just hand the keys to the most powerful nation on the planet to same random moron that walks on stage with politicians and starts hurling playground insults. I know everyone hates Congress and everyone thinks the government doesn't work but you're electing these people in the first place. Everyone HATES Congress but no one does anything about it.

Then you have the rise of obstruction. The GOP ( Specifically, McConnell ) learned over the Obama years that it was politically beneficial to literally refuse to govern. It benefits them more in terms of power to simply refuse to do their jobs. They platform on the ebil Big Government(tm) and how it never works. But they're the ones making sure it never works so they can platform on that to begin with. It's ridiculous but half the country doesn't know or care.

Thanks to that feedback loop ( and honestly, McConnell has never met a short term power grab regardless of long term consequences he never liked. ) that's pretty much become to GOP. They sold Koolaid to the people than got caught off guard when the people elected other people who drank the Koolaid. Now they control all three branches of government and have no idea what to do with themselves because they never planned to actually govern.

As for making Trump look like a Saint; I don't think it could actually get any worse and still have to country keep itself together. There are days when I look across the border at you guys and I wonder why you ever bother pretending to be a republic anymore. It's pretty obvious there's around 30-40% of you that would like to fark off and form an authoritarian theocracy and I say fuck it, go for it. We've seen what happens when the GOP's dream policies are implemented at a state level. You end up with an economic dumpster fire like Kansas. Nevermind that some of the loudest states that scream about the evils of welfare and socialism are actually the biggest welfare receipts of federal money.

So let them go become a theocratic shithole where the rich hunt the poor for sport. It seems to be what a third of the country wants anyway. Let the Evangelicals go all Handmaid's Tale and see how long they last. >.>




Rujikin wrote:
Haha it's funny seeing the biggest troll on these forums accusing me of trolling. Now if you will excuse me I have a lot of packages to open that I purchased with money I made from working.


Man, Cydoemus was right. You're just desperate for it now. You can't just dump the bait on the table and scream "THIS IS BAIT YOU SHOULD TOTALLY EAT IT". We need some foreplay first.








321 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 11/26/17 , edited 11/26/17
Good. If they got too big they might have followed through with a major attack on Israel
35958 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / U.S.A.
Offline
Posted 11/27/17 , edited 11/27/17

Mishio1 wrote:


XxDarkSasuxX wrote:


Cydoemus wrote:

Obviously troll thread is obvious.

Hit the nail on the head.


As Mysticgon has (kind of) pointed out, even if it's pretty obvious Ruji was trying to troll when he made the thread, the topic is worth discussing. If only to point out things like how the Trump administration's choice of tactics has caused civilian casualties to spike and why it's a bad thing.

And I don't mind the discourse. The only time I really counter-post is when someone says something blatantly incorrect or they do so in a fallacious manner. Opinions on matters simply don't interest me farther than discovering new viewpoints.
First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.