First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
Post Reply Apu from the Simpsons is being called a racist stereotype that needs to be removed
33526 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
39 / Inside your compu...
Offline
Posted 12/24/17 , edited 12/24/17
Next up, Asok from Dilbert decried as racist stereotype, Dilbert comic pulled from newspapers
12872 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 12/24/17 , edited 12/24/17
Isn't Dilbert himself a racist stereotype?

After all, not all white men are like that...
12794 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Australia
Online
Posted 12/24/17 , edited 12/24/17

TheZaphod wrote:

Isn't Dilbert himself a racist stereotype?

After all, not all white men are like that...


It's ok to stereotype white people though. We dont cry like bitches. Although it's becoming hard not get angry and bitch and actually feel a tad racist in this time where the term "its ok to be white" is considered hate speech...lol...
198 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
100 / M / Cold side of the...
Offline
Posted 12/26/17 , edited 12/26/17
Why avoid the obvious stereotypical characters to make a good writer? The creators are already minted and I don't think they'll get offended at having their "carefully well thought-out" characters slagged off.
233 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
43 / M
Offline
Posted 12/28/17 , edited 12/29/17

MrAnimeSK wrote:


TheZaphod wrote:

Isn't Dilbert himself a racist stereotype?

After all, not all white men are like that...


It's ok to stereotype white people though. We dont cry like bitches. Although it's becoming hard not get angry and bitch and actually feel a tad racist in this time where the term "its ok to be white" is considered hate speech...lol...


There is a concept is called "punching upwards". The basic premise is that if minorities makes fun of the kinds of people who victimized them, most people will find it okay to laugh aloud. If members of the KKK make jokes about the black people they victimized, you can laugh as much as you like when you are an asshole. No one is saying you're not allowed to laugh- just stop complaining about being called out.

Punching downwards makes you a bully. If you sympathize with bullies, you look like an asshole. There isn't much more to it than that.
12794 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Australia
Online
Posted 1/9/18 , edited 1/9/18

mintyfraud wrote:


There is a concept is called "punching upwards". The basic premise is that if minorities makes fun of the kinds of people who victimized them, most people will find it okay to laugh aloud. If members of the KKK make jokes about the black people they victimized, you can laugh as much as you like when you are an asshole. No one is saying you're not allowed to laugh- just stop complaining about being called out.

Punching downwards makes you a bully. If you sympathize with bullies, you look like an asshole. There isn't much more to it than that.


Why do people act as if the KKK are a common thing or like they have huge numbers or something?
And white people actually are the minority, on the global scale anyhow
1453 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 1/9/18 , edited 1/9/18

MrAnimeSK wrote:
Why do people act as if the KKK are a common thing or like they have huge numbers or something?
And white people actually are the minority, on the global scale anyhow ;)


Primarily because KKK is the most known organization that focuses on racist ideals.
It's the association of common racist mentality being associated to the Ku Klux Klan.

Your second point isn't very logical to the discussion as a whole.
If you look at the major melting pots of the world (North America, Australia, and Europe) you'll see that there's a reason why people focus on being less racist towards those who are minorities in their respective areas.
Europe is 11.4% of the global population, North America is 7.6%, and Australia is 0.5%.
Stating that "white people are in the minority, on the global scale" is ignoring that Asia (60.3%) and Africa (14.5%) are less "melting pot" cultures where Caucasians are often migrating to those areas, rather than being born into them.

Even if the statement is true, it isn't applicable in cultures like America, Australia, or most parts of Europe when Caucasians are in the majority.
Caucasians (white people) make up of 90% of the population in Australia, 76.7% of Canada, and 72.4% of the United States.
228 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 1/9/18 , edited 1/9/18

Cydoemus wrote:


MrAnimeSK wrote:
Why do people act as if the KKK are a common thing or like they have huge numbers or something?
And white people actually are the minority, on the global scale anyhow ;)


Primarily because KKK is the most known organization that focuses on racist ideals.
It's the association of common racist mentality being associated to the Ku Klux Klan.

Your second point isn't very logical to the discussion as a whole.
If you look at the major melting pots of the world (North America, Australia, and Europe) you'll see that there's a reason why people focus on being less racist towards those who are minorities in their respective areas.
Europe is 11.4% of the global population, North America is 7.6%, and Australia is 0.5%.
Stating that "white people are in the minority, on the global scale" is ignoring that Asia (60.3%) and Africa (14.5%) are less "melting pot" cultures where Caucasians are often migrating to those areas, rather than being born into them.

Even if the statement is true, it isn't applicable in cultures like America, Australia, or most parts of Europe when Caucasians are in the majority.
Caucasians (white people) make up of 90% of the population in Australia, 76.7% of Canada, and 72.4% of the United States.


It's a tad silly to associate common racist mentality with an organisation with 3,000-6,000 members which continues to dwindle. You need no further than look at yourself for that.

Onto your statistics. 72.4% of the American population isn't what MrAnimeSK would consider "white" since the USA consensus classifies white as "a person having origins in any of the original peoples of Europe, the Middle East, or North Africa." which would include Arabs, Persians, Berbers, Kurds, Levantines, Jews, Samaritans, Egyptian Copts, Ethiopian Jews, Sudanese Jews, Assyrians + more.

The biggest melting pot in the world can be actually found in the sub continent of India. Indian is a nationality not to be confused by the various ethnic groups that populate the region. I would of cited China as a good example of an ethnic melting pot as well but the Han have done an excellent job of assimilating the various ethnicities contained within the region. I guess other examples of melting pots would be Burma, Iran, Iraq and South Africa.


12794 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Australia
Online
Posted 1/9/18 , edited 1/10/18

Cydoemus wrote:


MrAnimeSK wrote:
Why do people act as if the KKK are a common thing or like they have huge numbers or something?
And white people actually are the minority, on the global scale anyhow ;)


Primarily because KKK is the most known organization that focuses on racist ideals.
It's the association of common racist mentality being associated to the Ku Klux Klan.

Your second point isn't very logical to the discussion as a whole.
If you look at the major melting pots of the world (North America, Australia, and Europe) you'll see that there's a reason why people focus on being less racist towards those who are minorities in their respective areas.
Europe is 11.4% of the global population, North America is 7.6%, and Australia is 0.5%.
Stating that "white people are in the minority, on the global scale" is ignoring that Asia (60.3%) and Africa (14.5%) are less "melting pot" cultures where Caucasians are often migrating to those areas, rather than being born into them.

Even if the statement is true, it isn't applicable in cultures like America, Australia, or most parts of Europe when Caucasians are in the majority.
Caucasians (white people) make up of 90% of the population in Australia, 76.7% of Canada, and 72.4% of the United States.


So, whats's your opinion on Zimbabwe and South Africa then?
15855 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M
Offline
Posted 1/30/18 , edited 1/31/18
My thoughts are relatively close to the image from the original post. The only reason why the creator of "The problem with Apu" picked Apu is because he is Indian himself. Apu isn't a character, he is a caricature. Every single character on the show is. Mr Burns, Comic Book Guy, Willie, Mayor Quimby. They're all to be taken as a joke.
12794 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Australia
Online
Posted 2/1/18 , edited 2/1/18

Bowie-Sensei wrote:

My thoughts are relatively close to the image from the original post. The only reason why the creator of "The problem with Apu" picked Apu is because he is Indian himself. Apu isn't a character, he is a caricature. Every single character on the show is. Mr Burns, Comic Book Guy, Willie, Mayor Quimby. They're all to be taken as a joke.


I work with a lot of Indians now, holly fuck some of them are hard to understand. I wish they spoke as clearly as Apu.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.