First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
Post Reply Alita: Battle Angel
100136 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
45 / M / Canada
Offline
Posted 12/8/17 , edited 12/8/17
First Trailer is up

https://youtu.be/CqYfXOYqzy4


I admit, still a little worried about this but, there is room to hope
2044 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M / Valhalla
Offline
Posted 12/8/17 , edited 12/8/17
interesting choice to give her anime eyes.
25202 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
54 / M / In
Online
Posted 12/8/17 , edited 12/8/17
Dem eyes

they sure want people to know it's from an anime
qwueri 
25756 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / M / TN
Offline
Posted 12/8/17 , edited 12/9/17
The huge eyes seems like an odd aesthetic choice. It's definitely nothing from the manga. Her most defining characteristic (that got called out) was her "octopus lips".

Now I want to go back and reread the manga to refresh myself on just how many arcs it looks like they're covering.
84928 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
40 / M
Online
Posted 12/8/17 , edited 12/9/17
It's covering the first few arcs from the looks of it. Makaku, Yugo, Mr. Vector and Zapan are in it. They mentioned they are going to do the motorball arc also but that's probably for another trailer. And there is plenty from the manga in this trailer, don't know what manga you read.
qwueri 
25756 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / M / TN
Offline
Posted 12/8/17 , edited 12/9/17

Soultaker78 wrote:

It's covering the first few arcs from the looks of it. Makaku, Yugo, Mr. Vector and Zapan are in it. They mentioned they are going to do the motorball arc also but that's probably for another trailer. And there is plenty from the manga in this trailer, don't know what manga you read.


Assuming you're replying to me, I was referring specifically to the eyes. I don't recall her eyes ever being anywhere near that out of proportion to anyone else in the manga.
1173 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Bran-new Lovesong
Offline
Posted 12/13/17 , edited 12/13/17
th

qwueri wrote:


Soultaker78 wrote:

It's covering the first few arcs from the looks of it. Makaku, Yugo, Mr. Vector and Zapan are in it. They mentioned they are going to do the motorball arc also but that's probably for another trailer. And there is plenty from the manga in this trailer, don't know what manga you read.


Assuming you're replying to me, I was referring specifically to the eyes. I don't recall her eyes ever being anywhere near that out of proportion to anyone else in the manga.



It makes me sad that apparently hardly any of you ever read the amazing manga.
Her eyes aren't because its a manga it because its very specific in the manga she was given larger eyes to give her the appearance of a doll from that and the trailer it actually looks faithful unlike Ghost In the Shell which didn't even adapt the 95 movie correctly.

Also if you really want to incorrectly think becuase its a anime/manga her eyes are big in the really old Battle Angel OVA compared to the other characters which was really good and I recommend everyone to watch it if you can find it.
Personally this looks very good and faitfhul so far and I hope this does well and the upcoming Akira Adaption does also.
If they do well I hope even more older animes into movies like "Black Magic-M66" when they are easy to adapt.

Yes even in the OVA her eyes are bigger than everyone elses. They make look alot like most other cute girls in anime but they are bigger than the other characters. I admit because of the eyes she does have appearance of a Doll in the trailer. So Kudos to making it seem faithful so far which is great after GITS and Death Note travesties.


qwueri 
25756 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / M / TN
Offline
Posted 12/13/17 , edited 12/13/17

Ashliet wrote:


It makes me sad that apparently hardly any of you ever read the amazing manga.
Her eyes aren't because its a manga it because its very specific in the manga she was given larger eyes to give her the appearance of a doll from that and the trailer it actually looks faithful unlike Ghost In the Shell which didn't even adapt the 95 movie correctly.

Also if you really want to incorrectly think becuase its a anime/manga her eyes are big in the really old Battle Angel OVA compared to the other characters which was really good and I recommend everyone to watch it if you can find it.
Personally this looks very good and faitfhul so far and I hope this does well and the upcoming Akira Adaption does also.
If they do well I hope even more older animes into movies like "Black Magic-M66" when they are easy to adapt.

Yes even in the OVA her eyes are bigger than everyone elses. They make look alot like most other cute girls in anime but they are bigger than the other characters. I admit because of the eyes she does have appearance of a Doll in the trailer. So Kudos to making it seem faithful so far which is great after GITS and Death Note travesties.




There's a distinct difference between 'doll-like' and the uncanny valley that the movie has gone with. And while yeah, Alita tends to be on the doll proportions end of the spectrum in the manga, I can't remember a single time the size of her eyes was ever noted (been awhile since I read the original, so by all means feel free to correct me on this).


It's the kind of eye proportions that would have been better suited to makeup than cgi.



46082 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 12/14/17 , edited 12/14/17
Personally I think at the end of the day what will really sway people is whether it's a good adaptation or not. We live in an age where we swim in CGI and character designs that are constantly playing around the Uncanny Valley. While there may be some people who just won't be able to get past the design choice if Alita gets the kind of reviews I'm hoping for that will be the deciding factor for most.
11316 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
37 / M
Offline
Posted 12/19/17 , edited 12/20/17
As I was watching the trailer I was on the verge of tears.

Finally what promises to be a decent anime adaptation.

I've been bingeing on the reviews of the trailers and it seems to be divided into two camps: people who want to bitch about the CGI and the eyes, and people who are genuinely excited.

I think GITS really let a lot of people down, and TBH, I also think people prefer to complain and be cynical because it makes them seem smarter, but this is one project, I'm willing to toss a bit of hope towards.

Mind you, the rule of thumb is STILL that if it's a live action adaptation of anime, it's trash, but I think this may be the one to overturn that rule...

Honestly, I'm surprised by how few anime fans are actually caring about it. (though I think people will get more interested as the release date draws closer).

God I hope it's as good as it seems like it could be.
1538 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F
Offline
Posted 12/20/17 , edited 12/20/17
I just saw the trailer at Star Wars last night!!

It actually DOES look good!! James Cameron!? HOW DID THEY GET HIM? XD

Gally's CGI eyes fit with her being a cyborg, imho.

I'm not a huge fan of the OVA (I saw it when I was young and it was too violent for me) so even if it's unfaithful, I won't be upset. XD

But it does look promising and I would go see it when it comes out....


Mind you, the rule of thumb is STILL that if it's a live action adaptation of anime, it's trash, but I think this may be the one to overturn that rule...

I heard from a VERY experienced (and adult) anime fan that Speedracer was actually fantastic. xD

But nobody saw it. XD
6074 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / BuBbLeS!
Offline
Posted 12/20/17 , edited 12/20/17
thanks to Disney buying out Fox, I can only imagine the horrors which are to come. I remember the cartoon some time back and it was decent, let's hope they keep on the decent path and not destroy it. it's more of a miss than a hit when it comes to hollywood doing foreign things.
11316 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
37 / M
Offline
Posted 12/20/17 , edited 12/21/17

Chiibihime wrote:

I just saw the trailer at Star Wars last night!!

It actually DOES look good!! James Cameron!? HOW DID THEY GET HIM? XD

Gally's CGI eyes fit with her being a cyborg, imho.

I'm not a huge fan of the OVA (I saw it when I was young and it was too violent for me) so even if it's unfaithful, I won't be upset. XD

But it does look promising and I would go see it when it comes out....


Mind you, the rule of thumb is STILL that if it's a live action adaptation of anime, it's trash, but I think this may be the one to overturn that rule...

I heard from a VERY experienced (and adult) anime fan that Speedracer was actually fantastic. xD

But nobody saw it. XD


He's been wanting to do this for years... Literally two decades actually. It was why he made avatar, which was just to push the envelop back then of CGI.

GITS was also in the works for decades but was never really a particular director's passion. Akira's another that's always been in development hell.

What makes Alita stand out though is that the ONLY person in hollywood who was been wanting this title for so long has been Cameron...

But because it's cameron's passion, he's been able to get all the best casting, and has enough sway to keep out the execs "improvements".

The diverse cast also might help keep the bitching down. The only thing anyone complains about is the CGI...
1538 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F
Offline
Posted 12/21/17 , edited 12/21/17

serifsansserif wrote:


Chiibihime wrote:

I just saw the trailer at Star Wars last night!!

It actually DOES look good!! James Cameron!? HOW DID THEY GET HIM? XD

Gally's CGI eyes fit with her being a cyborg, imho.

I'm not a huge fan of the OVA (I saw it when I was young and it was too violent for me) so even if it's unfaithful, I won't be upset. XD

But it does look promising and I would go see it when it comes out....


Mind you, the rule of thumb is STILL that if it's a live action adaptation of anime, it's trash, but I think this may be the one to overturn that rule...

I heard from a VERY experienced (and adult) anime fan that Speedracer was actually fantastic. xD

But nobody saw it. XD


He's been wanting to do this for years... Literally two decades actually. It was why he made avatar, which was just to push the envelop back then of CGI.

GITS was also in the works for decades but was never really a particular director's passion. Akira's another that's always been in development hell.

What makes Alita stand out though is that the ONLY person in hollywood who was been wanting this title for so long has been Cameron...

But because it's cameron's passion, he's been able to get all the best casting, and has enough sway to keep out the execs "improvements".

The diverse cast also might help keep the bitching down. The only thing anyone complains about is the CGI...


That's so cool! I never knew!!

I wonder if it's his favorite anime. XD

18384 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Pacific Northwest
Offline
Posted 1/1/18 , edited 1/2/18
I agree the incredible Battle Angel series by Yukito Kishiro is a must read and do not miss the follow up Last Order series. Fortunately the entire series is being re-released in a hardback deluxe edition which makes nice addition to any collection. The first release was supposed to include Vol. 1& 2 but for some reason they left out the conclusion of Vol. 2. Last Order is also available in Omnibus collections.

If I remember correctly James Cameron actually bought the rights to Battle Angel Alita back in the early 90's because he loved the series so much. I believe the movie will be great not only because James Cameron is a big fan but because he has actual skin in the game and I don't think he will let another director ruin this chance.

"Yes even in the OVA her eyes are bigger than everyone elses. They make look alot like most other cute girls in anime but they are bigger than the other characters. "


As I recall in the manga Doc Ido even mentioned that she was an older model, possibly hundreds of years old which explained why she looked different than the other cyborgs in the Scrapyard. Her other cute and often commented on feature where her pursed lips, often referred to as Octopus lips.

I was really surprised that the Alita in the trailer fight scene had not stained her cheeks beneath her eyes (I believe it was sludge in the manga/ blood in the OVA) which is her trademark ritual when preparing for battle. I am also curious if Vector's role will follow the manga or anime path, since they have Jennifer Connelly playing Chiren (who was not in the manga) I assume they may be leaning towards the OVA version.

All in all I am looking forward to finally being able to see this movie next year!
First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.