Created by qualeshia3
First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
Post Reply Is it weird to love writing but hate reading books?
49975 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / F / New Jersey, USA
Offline
Posted 1/7/18 , edited 1/7/18
I was just wondering if you can love writing but hate reading books.


You can obviously read. But you just hate reading for leisure because you probably find books boring or some other reason.

But when it comes to writing fiction or even non-fiction, you simply love it. You'll read if you have to but you don't like it at all. So, it makes you stay away from books.

Do you think it's weird?
5905 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / BuBbLeS!
Offline
Posted 1/7/18 , edited 1/8/18
one will never develop their skills if they don't read books. Mr King himself mentioned such facts. I enjoy reading and writing. it's something to think about. I don't read often because there aren't many out there which interest me, but when I do I read and/or re-read something of mine.
49975 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / F / New Jersey, USA
Offline
Posted 1/7/18 , edited 1/7/18

niotabunny wrote:

one will never develop their skills if they don't read books. Mr King himself mentioned such facts. I enjoy reading and writing. it's something to think about. I don't read often because there aren't many out there which interest me, but when I do I read and/or re-read something of mine.


I hear this most of time. How do I enjoy a story if I can't visualize when I read? I can read non-fiction books but fictional books are a challenge for me.
366 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / F / unknown
Offline
Posted 1/7/18 , edited 1/8/18
hoooly... this question has never cross my mind.. i hate reading but i really like writing...
but this question..
i have no answer
2101 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / US
Offline
Posted 1/7/18 , edited 1/8/18
That seems impossible to me
How are you supposed to know what makes writing "good" if you yourself do not read?
131 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / F / Louisiana
Offline
Posted 1/8/18 , edited 1/8/18
I don't understand how a writer could not enjoy reading ;3 I don't think I could survive without my books.
228 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 1/8/18 , edited 1/8/18
As someone who sorely reads non fiction I don't share your problem with visualisation.
49975 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / F / New Jersey, USA
Offline
Posted 1/8/18 , edited 1/8/18

MsFrienze wrote:

I don't understand how a writer could not enjoy reading ;3 I don't think I could survive without my books.


Well, I use to enjoy fiction then I realized that my love for reading was a lie. Now, I just listen to audiobooks and go on from there.

The only reason I can't enjoy reading is that I can't visualize when I read. So, I end up feeling stuck.


49975 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / F / New Jersey, USA
Offline
Posted 1/8/18 , edited 1/8/18

Cathugud wrote:

As someone who sorely reads non fiction I don't share your problem with visualisation.


Have you ever read fiction? Try visualizing with a book that is fiction.
49975 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / F / New Jersey, USA
Offline
Posted 1/8/18 , edited 1/8/18

zero356 wrote:

That seems impossible to me
How are you supposed to know what makes writing "good" if you yourself do not read?




I understand where you are coming from but it's not easy to read when you have an issue that is preventing you from enjoying the book.
131 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / F / Louisiana
Offline
Posted 1/8/18 , edited 1/8/18
May I ask, and I apologize if this sounds rude, but how do you visualize what you write? It's not really that different.

I think reading helps you come up with your own writing style, honestly. If I were you, I'd try to figure out a way to teach myself how to visualize, because I think you really miss out on an experience by being a writer who doesn't read. But that's just my opinion. ^_^
2349 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / F / Maryland
Offline
Posted 1/8/18 , edited 1/9/18
I don't find it that weird if you cant find a book that grabs you. I've done that a lot. I want to find something to read and study writing styles, but I can't get into what I'm reading and find it boring. You like what you like.

But I still try out a new book in hopes of finding that little gem through all that digging.
49975 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / F / New Jersey, USA
Offline
Posted 1/9/18 , edited 1/9/18

MsFrienze wrote:

May I ask, and I apologize if this sounds rude, but how do you visualize what you write? It's not really that different.

I think reading helps you come up with your own writing style, honestly. If I were you, I'd try to figure out a way to teach myself how to visualize, because I think you really miss out on an experience by being a writer who doesn't read. But that's just my opinion. ^_^


I'm able to do just fine with visualizing while I write. But for some reason when I read a fiction novel, I end up not being able to see what is going on in the story because my mind is cluttered.

I don't know how to declutter my mind. But this has been going on for years.
501 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 1/28/18 , edited 1/28/18
Eh, weird or not, I don't know that it much matters.


niotabunny wrote:

one will never develop their skills if they don't read books. Mr King himself mentioned such facts. I enjoy reading and writing. it's something to think about. I don't read often because there aren't many out there which interest me, but when I do I read and/or re-read something of mine.



And Stephen King might have something there too, but while I've enjoyed a few of his books, I don't consider him the final word on writing. I remember reading Brian Jacques (Redwall author) saying that he didn't read other books.

For my part, I tend to enjoy reading fiction (should read nonfiction some but never do though I'm technically reading a nonfiction book now, who knows if I'll finish it?), but I don't write much. Sort of like to write, enjoy it at times, not good at it, don't have a lot of ideas, have an idea, start something, get stuck. Wish I wrote more, had more ideas, all that. Maybe should give it a try.
15198 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
☆Land of sweets☆
Online
Posted 1/28/18 , edited 1/28/18
if one loves writing but hates reading, does that mean they would hate to read their own book? hmmm. :p
First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.