Post Reply Data compression improvements and video downloading
3 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / Toronto, Ontario
Offline
Posted 2/5/18 , edited 2/5/18
Hey all, so today I was on the train from home after discovering overlord and couldn't help binge watching, but after about 4 episodes I realized crunchyroll had used around 4.4GB of data.
I was shocked to say the least, I feel like there are a lot of ways that crunchyroll could let their users enjoy shows while not home without causing strain on their mobile network.
First I would like to see better data compression, from what I can tell the "Low" video quality only reduces resolution massively and destroys audio bitrate for not a massive decrease in data used. I wholeheartedly believe this can be done better.
Second would be the ability to download shows on to a device using the crunchyroll app, I realize there are probably some very complicated licensing issues to go along with this, but a time limit, causing videos downloaded to expire after some time and video download limit, limiting the sheer number of episodes you can download would serve to ease this, I realize the VRV app exists but it seems to be US only, as where I personally live in Canada, also I feel like this functionality should be incorporated into the Crunchyroll app as well.
Thank you for your time
Der Zoodirektor
27145 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
36 / M / Germany
Offline
Posted 2/6/18 , edited 2/6/18

Michelzo wrote:

Hey all, so today I was on the train from home after discovering overlord and couldn't help binge watching, but after about 4 episodes I realized crunchyroll had used around 4.4GB of data.
I was shocked to say the least, I feel like there are a lot of ways that crunchyroll could let their users enjoy shows while not home without causing strain on their mobile network.
First I would like to see better data compression, from what I can tell the "Low" video quality only reduces resolution massively and destroys audio bitrate for not a massive decrease in data used. I wholeheartedly believe this can be done better.
Second would be the ability to download shows on to a device using the crunchyroll app, I realize there are probably some very complicated licensing issues to go along with this, but a time limit, causing videos downloaded to expire after some time and video download limit, limiting the sheer number of episodes you can download would serve to ease this, I realize the VRV app exists but it seems to be US only, as where I personally live in Canada, also I feel like this functionality should be incorporated into the Crunchyroll app as well.
Thank you for your time


The quality settings in the Android app does not currently have any effect. The app will always play the best resolution possible based on the quality of the connection. As most mobile connections are fast enough, you will basically be guaranteed 1080p playback on a 4G link.
55901 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
62 / M / Earth
Offline
Posted 2/6/18 , edited 2/6/18

shinryou wrote:
The quality settings in the Android app does not currently have any effect. The app will always play the best resolution possible based on the quality of the connection. As most mobile connections are fast enough, you will basically be guaranteed 1080p playback on a 4G link.


There was an android app update three days ago where the "low" setting now does indeed make the playback appearance have much less resolution... And they also fixed/shrunk the sort by and genre menu space so that you don't have to scroll forever to find things like "Live Action Drama" (and think it disappeared like one user reported earlier).

I can't say how much it affected the data usage, but there is definitely a difference now between the "low" and "high" settings. (it's tricky on my tablet to capture screenshots in exactly the same place, but look at the text/subtitles and there is a clear difference...)

Low:

High:
Der Zoodirektor
27145 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
36 / M / Germany
Offline
Posted 2/6/18 , edited 2/6/18

asharka wrote:

There was an android app update three days ago where the "low" setting now does indeed make the playback appearance have much less resolution... And they also fixed/shrunk the sort by and genre menu space so that you don't have to scroll forever to find things like "Live Action Drama" (and think it disappeared like one user reported earlier).

I can't say how much it affected the data usage, but there is definitely a difference now between the "low" and "high" settings. (it's tricky on my tablet to capture screenshots in exactly the same place, but look at the text/subtitles and there is a clear difference...)

Low:

High:


Oh, let me look into that. I haven't received a memo about an update in his regard.

*edit* The fix for the quality selector has indeed been released in the latest update. Consumption on low is now probably around 100 to 180 megabytes per episode, depending on the content.
15549 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
☆Land of sweets☆
Offline
Posted 2/6/18 , edited 2/6/18
i remember reading about hevc / h265 and how it can significantly reduce data usage while increasing the quality.
the only issue being, devices must be fast enough to be able to decode it, but since hevc is a few years old, maybe that's no longer an issue.
You must be logged in to post.